Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: International Experience Class (IEC)

Options
  • 22-11-2010 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi , just found this page today :

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/highlights-faits/IEC-EIC-Oct2010.aspx

"Welcome to the new International Experience Canada (IEC) page!
    The IEC initiative will officially open for the upcoming year after January 18, 2011.
    Due to administrative changes being made to the IEC that will come into effect at the beginning of 2011, for the first time in Ireland you will be able to apply directly to the Embassy of Canada.
    We are streamlining the application process which will affect how and where you apply for the IEC. We invite you to visit our web site frequently between now and January, 2011 to familiarise yourself with the numerous changes coming into effect in 2011 and how these changes will affect the application process.
    Please note that any application received before the IEC initiative officially opens in January 2011 will not be considered, returned to the applicant, or retained for the opening date."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

my guess is that it will save applicants money rather than having to go through usit! i wonder will they publish how many visas will be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Great news, I hate having to deal with USIT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mdu

yeah, its called the IEC working holiday programme. Not sure if its the exact same as the USIT visa but if it is then good to know that there is a choice for people..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

they could be more informative about opening dates also! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eamog1888

Hi All,

can you just apply for this visa and then book flights later in the year or is there a period where you need to have everything booked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Is this open to anyone? I wonder if people who've already spent a year or more there can apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hoolie84

I'm almost certain that if you have been on one of the work and travel visas before you are ineligible, but check it out.

Well either way looks like I have to wait until January to find out.

If you google IEC France, you'll get the application procedure for French citizens, the restrictions for individual EU countries are usually exactly the same.... The French are not allowed to reapply if they have been on a work and travel visa before, not sure why teh Irish one is so slow to put the rules up. Probably as its the first year the embassy has been accepting applications directly.

Actually from what I can see, you could reapply, but you would have to see if you are eligible for a different IEC category. You can't apply for the same category twice, so hopefully you fall under another category's eligibility...

I'll just add that these are the french rules... The irish may be different....

• Advertisement

Well hopefully you can apply again. There's alot of people in the same boat as me who've already been there for a year and desperately want to get back over. I hope they'll bring out something in the near future where you can head back. There's nothing I can do, I've researched this a million times. Only way I have of getting back over at the moment is to have a degree in something, making me a working professional, which I don't have, like so many others.

Theres always the option to come over as in international student. Study here and get a Canadian credential and apply for a 3 year graduate work visa once you finish.

All depends on the finances I guess...

Exactly, alot of time and money needed for that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

anyone know how long this process will take???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mdu

t00024894 wrote: »
    anyone know how long this process will take???

hard to tell right now. best to check out the immigration website in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nahuvy

Hey just wondering did anyone apply through them yet. I downloaded the application kit/forms the other day and there are some variations from what usit said one eg is "Proof of funds-Candidate form" is a form that you need to get signed by a bank saying you have 2325e/$3000 in your account or a version to be signed from a third party saying they are loaning you 775 euro,its one or the other. No form for is mentioned for having 775e/$1000 in your a/c with a return ac. Would be grateful for any help/tips

If you check the site you'll see that it says you must have proof of funds. The best way is to print out a statement get it stamped by the bank, then just send that off with your application kit. No Problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭littlehannah96

nahuvy wrote: »
    Hey just wondering did anyone apply through them yet. I downloaded the application kit/forms the other day and there are some variations from what usit said one eg is "Proof of funds-Candidate form" is a form that you need to get signed by a bank saying you have 2325e/$3000 in your account or a version to be signed from a third party saying they are loaning you 775 euro,its one or the other. No form for is mentioned for having 775e/$1000 in your a/c with a return ac. Would be grateful for any help/tips

Hey, it actually says on the usit site also that you need proof of funds. The USIT has the exact same requirements as the embassy visa. This is because all usit is is a travel agents that apply for the visa for you (on the condition that you buy a package of useless things.off them for 299euro) instead of doing everything yourself.

Thanks guys for your help, just got confused as i had thought you only needed €775 in your account when you had a return ticket but had got the form filled out at my bank anyhow so its sorted.

No, I went last year through usit ti Canada and needed $3000 in my account and had to provide evidence of that $3000 - in other words a bank statement. So just print 1 out and send it with your application. Just as Hannah says, it says on the usit site that you need funds. They just act as a middle man but whatever the embassy needs, usit will let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Eire09

Hey, im a bit confused about the filling out of the application kit..do physically mail it or send through email? Do i scan Garda cert, bank statement etc into application kit ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Eire09 wrote: »
    Hey, im a bit confused about the filling out of the application kit..do physically mail it or send through email? Do i scan Garda cert, bank statement etc into application kit ? Thanks

Everything needs to be sent by post to canadian embassy in paris.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Hey guys, I have some questions maybe somebody could throw some light on the situation. I went on the under 35 program in 2007. According to USIT's website, you can apply to the IEC even if you have participated before because the structure has changed, so I'm fine to sign up right? Just niggling doubts are annoying me.

yep thats what i heard too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Augmerson wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have some questions maybe somebody could throw some light on the situation. I went on the under 35 program in 2007. According to USIT's website, you can apply to the IEC even if you have participated before because the structure has changed, so I'm fine to sign up right? Just niggling doubts are annoying me.

It's a new scheme so you should be good to go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Thanks guys, managed to find this from the IEC website, thought I'd post it up for anyone else with the same question -
    IEC wrote:
    I have participated in the IEC on a previous occasion. Now that participation is restricted to two one-year periods, does my previous participation restrict my ability to travel to Canada in the future?

No. The new policy of two one-year participation periods is not being implemented retroactively. So even if you have previously participated in the IEC, you will still be able to participate twice, assuming you can demonstrate eligibility to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bertaluchi

Hi there,
    does the IEC bit not make it different?
    In that, I am on the USIT 1 year working Visa. Does this not state that it's ok if you have already got the IEC Visa?
    They're 2 different visas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭louisejscott

Hi guys just wondering- My bf and I are common law under canadian law but we are both applying for the IEC as we both want to work. Do you tick common law on the application or leave it blank as we are both applying anyhow?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IEC
    I have participated in the IEC on a previous occasion. Now that participation is restricted to two one-year periods, does my previous participation restrict my ability to travel to Canada in the future?

No. The new policy of two one-year participation periods is not being implemented retroactively. So even if you have previously participated in the IEC, you will still be able to participate twice, assuming you can demonstrate eligibility to do so.

Ok, so does that mean that if you have already done a one year under 35 visa in Canada (which I have done), that you can now apply again with a clean slate and spend another 2 years there if you want? (somebody please say yes!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

joannaman wrote: »
    Quote:

Ok, so does that mean that if you have already done a one year under 35 visa in Canada (which I have done), that you can now apply again with a clean slate and spend another 2 years there if you want? (somebody please say yes!)

That is the way I was reading it, because it was a new program everyone should be starting afresh with it

Advertisement