Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options
1444546474850»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

It would of been good if they did go ahead with the Burglary desk as a DLC as it wasn't physically possible to have it on the regular game, curious to know what stopped them from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've played a few levels. Facial tech and acting are great but some bits are a bit rubbish. I think in the first interview you ever do you're tasked with pinning a shooting on a guy and you have tonnes of evidence as to why he did it but the game forces you to select the 'right' line of questioning in order to carry on with the game. Why do I need to go around in loops when I could simply say we have your gun at the scene and a witness who said you shot him. End of case...

It seems like a good game but nothing terribly groundbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I loved it. So many of my friends hated it because they were expecting GTA but i went in with an open mind and thought it was great. I just loved the whole Detective thing, LOVED IT. People say its a repetitive, but surely you can say that about any game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

My two cents are that it was one of the most frustrating gaming experiences that I have ever had and it really highlighted some of the big flaws in gaming at the moment in terms of the illusion of choices in a so-called open world.

It is basically a linear story but it is presented in a way that makes you think that you have choices to make that will impact the game and where it goes. You don't and they won't.

Interrogations were the most obvious area of frustration because no matter what you do, you end up having to do exactly what the game wants you to because there are no choices. It is the same when you are collecting evidence.

Plus, imho, because the facial mannerisms are so believable and the actors are very good, it only goes to further highlight the lack of depth within both the storyline and the gameplay and the complete lack of realism in how you go about solving crimes.

I thought that it was going to be amazing and a real step forward for gaming. But instead it just highlighted the massive shortcomings of modern gaming in terms of narrative plot and gameplay and how the two rarely meet in any meaningful way in most games.

I realise that may not be a popular opinion here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I have all of the street cases done and I'm still under 40% completion. O'm sure the DLC would make a difference but I don't wanna be shelling out money like that.
    I'm not sure the DLC counts towards that completion, don't think it does. The DLC is worth it, though. For 960 points you get 4 extra cases and some other bits and bobs. That's a bargain.
    tok9 wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with some kind of (spirtual) sequel if they varied it up a bit and made your questions in an interrogation a bit more in line with the actual interrogation.
    Let me guess... You had issues with doubt?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-15-l-a-forensic-brendan-mcnamara-on-l-a-noire-interview

Eurogamer: You captured actor performances using Coax, Force and Accuse dialogue options, but then changed the name of the options afterwards. Why?

Brendan McNamara: What we wanted at the start, it was more your strategy. As a detective, what strategy are you going to choose? Are you going to coax an answer out of them, or are you going to jump in there and try and force an answer out of them - or do you just suddenly accuse them of lying straight up?

We tested that round and round the organisation and people never really liked the words or got the words. But that was the way it was written. Then we switched to Truth, Doubt, Lie, because that was more straightforward for people. But it made Doubt weird.
    calex71 wrote: »
    The one thing about this game that really annoyed me was they went to the trouble of creating this great environment but there wasn't anything to do it :(
    You were a cop in the game, and there was crimes in progress you could stop. What did you want in terms of things to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I loved it. So many of my friends hated it because they were expecting GTA but i went in with an open mind and thought it was great. I just loved the whole Detective thing, LOVED IT. People say its a repetitive, but surely you can say that about any game?

Yes, too many unfortunately, but the great ones are more varied imo.

Even just an example of a lesser known game you can get cheaper, binary domain. That game is both great fun and varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Pushtrak wrote: »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-15-l-a-forensic-brendan-mcnamara-on-l-a-noire-interview

Eurogamer: You captured actor performances using Coax, Force and Accuse dialogue options, but then changed the name of the options afterwards. Why?

Brendan McNamara: What we wanted at the start, it was more your strategy. As a detective, what strategy are you going to choose? Are you going to coax an answer out of them, or are you going to jump in there and try and force an answer out of them - or do you just suddenly accuse them of lying straight up?

We tested that round and round the organisation and people never really liked the words or got the words. But that was the way it was written. Then we switched to Truth, Doubt, Lie, because that was more straightforward for people. But it made Doubt weird.

I enjoyed it but this drove me mad! The coax would probably have suited better instead of Cole starting shouting the head of the suspect when he 'doubts' them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but this drove me mad! The coax would probably have suited better instead of Cole starting shouting the head of the suspect when he 'doubts' them.

Ya, he would go a bit mad sometimes, when you expecting him to be calmer.

In one of the missions where you call to a murdered women's homes, you break the news to the daughter and then begin interrogating her, after two questions Cole is screaming at the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,576 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought it was a great game but the city was empty and like above, sometimes you would just want to hint at doubt but Cole turns into a mental case.

This vid sums up the game perfectly

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/5rsn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I thought it was a great game but the city was empty and like above, sometimes you would just want to hint at doubt but Cole turns into a mental case.

Hahah that video never gets old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Pushtrak wrote: »

No I mean the interrogation in general. It was fine but there were times when you wanted to say something completely different but didn't have the chance to.

Anyway as I said the game was fine. The only reason I'm arguing is because someone said it is one of the best games of the generation which I personally don't believe. I wouldn't even of had it in the top 10 of the year it was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

sheehy83 wrote: »

That video kinda made me want to play it again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

http://bit.ly/Yx4YSU

This is even funnier, out takes are weird !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

^That's fecking great, showcases the technology amazingly.
    Would love to see it again in a game with more emotional variety than L.A. Noire.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

eddhorse wrote: »
    http://bit.ly/Yx4YSU

This is even funnier, out takes are weird !

The sneeze!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

LA Noire coming to PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and VR
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/7/16266292/rockstar-la-noire-switch-ps4-xbox-htc-vive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Never played the original so looking forward to this, going to be a big end of year for games!

Advertisement