Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

A new dlc case is out today Reefer Madness, it's so so, not great but not terrible. Best dlc so far was nicholson electroplating - worth buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

holy crap, deos anyone still playing that crap? :eek:

i finished 3 or 4 cases, and newer fired up that game again. i just.... cba....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

holy crap, deos anyone still playing that crap? :eek:

i finished 3 or 4 cases, and newer fired up that game again. i just.... cba....
    Just play it when a new case comes out, since I have the R* Pass.

Regret buying the game and the Pass after the stories started breaking about how the staff were treated. Brendan McNamara isn't getting another cent from me.

Nothing against R*, or even the Team Bondi staff, but it doesn't matter, since R* seem to be distancing themselves from TB, and a lot of the TB staff have moved on. I won't be buying anything from Team Bondi in the future, while Brendan is running the operation.

On another topic... before these stories broke, I was thinking about what DLC LA Noire could bring out to match Undead Nightmare.

Alien invasion, with Phelps investigating XCOM style. Would be awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I've not bothered with any of the DLC other than the Free DLC i got when the game shipped. Defo by the end of the game it had outworn it's welcome and the urge to pay and play for more cases is gone big time.

I'm a terrible completionist though so have been working my way through to get my 1k in the game playing a case or 2 for 5 stars every couple of nights. Defo a chore and there is not a whole lot of game here really. Still I enjoyed up to the vice cases in the game and then began to get bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

djkeogh wrote: »
    I've not bothered with any of the DLC other than the Free DLC i got when the game shipped. Defo by the end of the game it had outworn it's welcome and the urge to pay and play for more cases is gone big time.

I'm a terrible completionist though so have been working my way through to get my 1k in the game playing a case or 2 for 5 stars every couple of nights. Defo a chore and there is not a whole lot of game here really. Still I enjoyed up to the vice cases in the game and then began to get bored.
    I 1k'd it, then got rid of it. 100% completed then that retarded adding cheevo's came up and took it away from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

yea, i'm not bothered with the new DLC at all for it. Just gonna be more of the same and it's just not interesting enough for it. 5 more cases to 5 star and then I'm pretty much gonna trade this in while it's got some value left.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh look,

http://store.steampowered.com/app/110800/

about a 6 months too late to pique my interest.

(...wheres Vanquish?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yeah far too late, anyone that really wanted to play it has already, whats with rockstar and not giving the pc any love these days? their my favorite dev but jesus they dont really like the pc this time round

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This and brink are the two most disappointing games of the year for me so far,I had high hopes for both :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'll probably pick up the PC version if I can find it on the cheap, never played this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

LA Noire is currently only €15 on Zavvi at the moment. Is it worth it at this price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

LA Noire is currently only €15 on Zavvi at the moment. Is it worth it at this price?

Yea defiantly !

It's different to most other games but very well thought out. Only thing is that on Xbox it comes on 3 discs where as on PS3 it's just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It's very repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Yes, definitely, in my opinion. I thought it was great, but I went in to it being a fan of noir films, so obviously it was right up my alley. If you are a completionist, or just inclined towards getting DLC, you'd have to get the season pass for the DLC. You get a couple of extra cases as part of the DLC, a new weapon and two new suits (one to increase melee and one for health if I recall correctly). There are 4 new cases included. The season pass is 960 points. It's worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I just had a look at it there and that's the complete edition for that price which includes all DLC etc so it's definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

I just had a look at it there and that's the complete edition for that price which includes all DLC etc so it's definitely worth it.

That's a great price for a great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I ordered it tonight. Why do I find it hard to pass up a game at a good price? I wanted to stop adding games to my backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I ordered it tonight. Why do I find it hard to pass up a game at a good price? I wanted to stop adding games to my backlog.
    I'm the same, my time is extremely limited since getting on to the course I want so I have hardly any time at all to play anything. That didn't stop me from buying a PS3, Tales of Graces F, Ni No Kuni, will be getting Xillia, and there are a bunch of other PS3 games I'll want to play. That is forgetting the fact I already have The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii to play, and about 10 games on the 360 that I haven't gotten to start playing yet.

I just don't have time to get to them. This isn't a problem that will be reducing any time soon, I see it only getting worse. I know it'll most likely end up being an exaggeration, but right now it feels like I'll have enough in this generation to keep me going a year or two in to the next one.

This is leaving aside books I need to read, I'm even worse with buying books than games.

Could also mention DVDs I own, though I haven't really bought DVDs much of late. Have enough of a backlog there anyway.

Bored isn't going to be in my vocabulary for quite a while, standing in queues not withstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

I know what you mean, I can't resist a good bargain either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

LA Noire is one of the best games this generation, amazing story telling with such an important pay off.

• Advertisement

LA Noire is one of the best games this generation, amazing story telling with such an important pay off.

Ah now, I can't believe this for a second. The game is decent, It is absolutely no where near being one of the best of this generation and if it wasn't for the motion capture and acting it wouldn't even be remembered.

For the 15 euro I would say go for it sure but it really does get very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I got a PS3 last April and got the game off my sister in July. I loved it and cleared all of the cases in a few days averaging 3 stars in them all, the game was only ~30% completed. I then went through some of the cases again and got a few 5 stars but it's tedious in terms of completion, getting all of the cars and all of the movie reels. I have all of the street cases done and I'm still under 40% completion. O'm sure the DLC would make a difference but I don't wanna be shelling out money like that.

I did two cases again last night but I dunno, seems like far too much effort for what is "tying up loose ends".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

tok9 wrote: »
    Ah now, I can't believe this for a second. The game is decent, It is absolutely no where near being one of the best of this generation and if it wasn't for the motion capture and acting it wouldn't even be remembered.

For the 15 euro I would say go for it sure but it really does get very boring.

Yes, lets dismiss its two strongest qualities and then review it... the entire game hinges on these. It is an interactive story more so than a game. You could say the same about The Walking Dead games. Half-life wouldn't be remembered if it wasn't for its pacing and sharp execution

Grimebox wrote: »
    Yes, lets dismiss its two strongest qualities and then review it... the entire game hinges on these. It is an interactive story more so than a game. You could say the same about The Walking Dead games. Half-life wouldn't be remembered if it wasn't for its pacing and sharp execution

I don't think you can really.

Yes I have picked on it's 2 strongest points but that's only because that is it's only strongest points. They definitely contribute to the story but not really to the game play. The first few interrogations are fun but then you realise how flawed they are with the choices given.

Honestly, credit to them for the motion capture but as a game it's just not that much fun or entertaining which is the most important thing.

It kind of reminds me of Assassins Creed. The game had so much potential but got ridiculously repetitive. Fortunately it improved every aspect of that game in the sequel. I don't think LA Noire will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

The game play itself wasn't all that great. There was lots of little niggling things about it. Driving was a big one for me, weapon mode was another. It was defiantly a game that had Team Soho all over it. The story though was very enjoyable I found, I've always been interested in 40s/50s Noir. Looking forward to a second installment if such thing will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

LA Noire, in my opinion, is an absolute masterpiece of gaming that takes the word immervise to a new level. Never played a game like it; probably won't in the near future. To dismiss it as some sort of empty vessel that hinged on it's motion capture and acting is ridiculous - the entire game works because of those two absolutely standout traits. It's not unlike the award winning 'Walking Dead' collection in that the story and choice driven segments outweigh the actual conventional game play.

In my opinion, up there with the best of the past decade. I seriously would implore anyone who hasn't played it to at least give it a go at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

tok9 wrote: »
    I don't think you can really.

Yes I have picked on it's 2 strongest points but that's only because that is it's only strongest points. They definitely contribute to the story but not really to the game play. The first few interrogations are fun but then you realise how flawed they are with the choices given.

Honestly, credit to them for the motion capture but as a game it's just not that much fun or entertaining which is the most important thing.

It kind of reminds me of Assassins Creed. The game had so much potential but got ridiculously repetitive. Fortunately it improved every aspect of that game in the sequel. I don't think LA Noire will.

Were going to have to agree to disagree. It was one of the few games that gripped me from start to finish recently. I found it immensely enjoyable although I'm not sure if I would describe it as "fun". Its a very different type of game which I greatly welcome. I must admit I never figured it out like I would in most games, so I was truly immersed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I did enjoy it very much as well,
    A few things bugged me but nothing too dramatic.
    The driving to and from the murder scenes etc. I found out later you could skip them, cost me some stars for damage. My fault, not the games I guess.

The acting was top class, I was always trying to guess what TV show I had seen each character in, mad men, fringe, etc.

The movie reels were a joke though, no way would you have just come across them, you could not have gotten then without a guide ! Fact.
    Similar story for the unique cars, tricky to say the least. The cars in lock up weren't too bad.

The interrogation was difficult in places which made it realistic.

I still preferred Heavy Rain but this is up there in my Top 20 for PS3.

Ed

Grimebox wrote: »
    Were going to have to agree to disagree. It was one of the few games that gripped me from start to finish recently. I found it immensely enjoyable although I'm not sure if I would describe it as "fun". Its a very different type of game which I greatly welcome. I must admit I never figured it out like I would in most games, so I was truly immersed

That's fair enough, different opinions is what makes boards entertaining.

Honestly, at the time of release I'd say I was one of the more positive people regarding the game as I liked it but as I've said found a lot of the missions repetitive. I'd have no problem with some kind of (spirtual) sequel if they varied it up a bit and made your questions in an interrogation a bit more in line with the actual interrogation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The one thing about this game that really annoyed me was they went to the trouble of creating this great environment but there wasn't anything to do it :(

Advertisement