Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what would I get in gamestop if i traded this in now?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Finished it the other day. Biggest let-down of a game in some time. Technical genius aside for the facial animations the game was fairly shíte IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 irish_whiskey

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm never going to finish this. Was about to trade it, and the missus asked to try it. I'll trade it as soon as she gets bored. Dullest game I've played in a long time.

In same boat as yourself. Promised so much but it just seemed so repetitive. I think ill stick to GTA4 for my stress relivers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Anyone experience a bug in "The Gas Man" mission.
    Ok, I've done everything but interrogate the 2 guys which I can't seem to do. I still have the option of going to instaheat factory and clemens worksite but I have already done this. The only thing strange from the walktrough that I can see is that I only got to ask Clemens 2 questions instead of 3. I don't have the option to go to the police station, but I went there anyway. There's noone in interview room 2 and I interview room 1 is locked. This happen to anyone else? Is there a cheat to just end the mission?

edit just figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

tok9 wrote: »

One thing that was disappointing though is that no matter how bad you did you'd still get to the same conclusion.

Thats my biggest issue with it didnt what you did or didnt do the story is going to end anyway, good idea and poorly implemented.

Hopefully its similiar to AC and they get it right next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Just finished it now, and agree that the ending was terrible. Great game nonetheless though. Homicide was the better desk. I'll be keeping it for the DLC, probably go through all the side-missions in the downtime.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

In same boat as yourself. Promised so much but it just seemed so repetitive. I think ill stick to GTA4 for my stress relivers ;)

If you went into the game thinking it would be another GTA then you were always in for a let down.
    But yeah, a tad repetitive I suppose. Though I love the original Assassin's Creed as well, so it's probably no surprise that repetitiveness isn't a deal breaker for me. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Daemos wrote: »
    Just finished it now, and agree that the ending was terrible. Great game nonetheless though. Homicide was the better desk. I'll be keeping it for the DLC, probably go through all the side-missions in the downtime.

Most of the side missions are very samey unfortunately... very much a case of, "drive here - shoot him - chase them - beat them - well done!!".... hopefully some good DLC in the pipeline though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Anyone know the best place I could trade this in tomorrow?? Will be in Dublin so anywhere's an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I played the dlc A Slip of the tongue a while back. Its quite dissapointing in the amount of content that it contains for an add-on. Its just one case which takes about 20 minutes to complete.
    I'm just glad i didn't pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Bought this game last week + Rockstar pass and finished it the other day. Over all I will say as most people have said that its something different so it doesn't deserve a major bash.

In all I did enjoy the game however I really feel that it was lacking in certin aspects

Driving: Firstly the driving was terrible. No question about that, for a game that Rockstar were involved in I was shocked to say the least. Driving game play reminded me of The Getaway which if I'm right Team Bondi were involved with many years ago ?

To stick with the driving part, what's the story with the radio ? huh ! I understand that its set in 47 and people today won't want to listen to music of that decade but still, there wasn't even an option to turn it off unless you went into the settings and turned the music volume down/off.

Weapon firing: Is it me or did others notice the poor trigger response when firing you gun, pistol in most cases ?

Distinguishing the difference between Truth and Doubt: I know this has a lot to do with paying attention to the case which you're on and evidence in your notebook but I was getting caught out by this a fair bit.

Cole Phelps dull & too formal personality : Think most people are agreeing that Kelso would have being better suited to as the main protagonist. Its very unfortunate as most of the GTA games and similar have interesting main characters but I do agree with it, I got board of Phelps half way through the game. He reminded me of Guy Pierce's character Ed Exely in LA Confidential (who was a good character though) but worse.

There's more but I think I'd be nit picking if I went on.

I just felt for a game that apparently took five years to develop and has perfectly re-created Los Angles from 60 odd year back let itself down in places.

One interesting thing I did notice and fully believe went within the police back in those days was
    the fact that if you had more then one suspected in a case that when you had to charge either one of them you are expected (by your captain ect) to charge the one who A) Doesn't have a criminal record but only when the second suspect has or a warrant outstanding so that both go down B) Or in the case of when you had to charge a pedo or a husband of a victim who has a kid. You charge the dad your Captain goes ballistic, you charge the pedo everyone is happy. Although when you do the last homicide mission it all becomes irrelevent.
    Funny way of how things went on though

6.5/10 from me.

Driving: Firstly the driving was terrible. No question about that, for a game that Rockstar were involved in I was shocked to say the least. Driving game play reminded me of The Getaway which if I'm right Team Bondi were involved with many years ago ?

To stick with the driving part, what's the story with the radio ? huh ! I understand that its set in 47 and people today won't want to listen to music of that decade but still, there wasn't even an option to turn it off unless you went into the settings and turned the music volume down/off.

Weapon firing: Is it me or did others notice the poor trigger response when firing you gun, pistol in most cases ?

Distinguishing the difference between Truth and Doubt: I know this has a lot to do with paying attention to the case which you're on and evidence in your notebook but I was getting caught out by this a fair bit.

Cole Phelps dull & too formal personality : Think most people are agreeing that Kelso would have being better suited to as the main protagonist. Its very unfortunate as most of the GTA games and similar have interesting main characters but I do agree with it, I got board of Phelps half way through the game. He reminded me of Guy Pierce's character Ed Exely in LA Confidential (who was a good character though) but worse.

I just felt for a game that apparently took five years to develop and has perfectly re-created Los Angles from 60 odd year back let itself down in places.

6.5/10 from me.

Yeah, that was very disappointing not having the option to turn it off...and as well, there was only one station, I have to believe there were more radio stations in the 1940's than just ACB....
    You're right about the Team Bondi thing too, i played The Getaway there a few weeks ago and there are a few similarities in the driving.

It's funny you should mention Kelso being a better protagonist and LA Confidential in the one post........

Did someone say sequel?? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yeah, that was very disappointing not having the option to turn it off...and as well, there was only one station, I have to believe there were more radio stations in the 1940's than just ACB....
    You're right about the Team Bondi thing too, i played The Getaway there a few weeks ago and there are a few similarities in the driving.

I felt that the driving game play from Mafia II would have even suited the game.

Also, the fella who played Mark Hammond in The Getaway is actually in one of the DLC Vice cases
    It's funny you should mention Kelso being a better protagonist and LA Confidential in the one post........

Just my opinion though
    Did someone say sequel?? :P

I read something about it on Wikipedia but I would only take anything from that website at face value. If such was to happen bring the game forward about 7 years, tidy up on a few issues such as the ones I mentioned above, keep the Mickey Cohen/ Johnny Stompanato connection and your looking at quite an interesting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

They invested so much money in the tech that it makes sense to have sequel(s) or at least maybe an expansion pack like Undead Nightmare was for RDR.
    That map of LA is hugely detailed but with very little to do there as yet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

KerranJast wrote: »
    That map of LA is hugely detailed but with very little to do there as yet.

This. For all the effort they put into recreating 1940s L.A. it might as well have been any city in the world for the part it played in the story.
    The whole Hollywood upstart angle was barely scratched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Agree, it's only when you start to hunt down the film reels that you actually realise how many places there were in the game that you would never in a million years have even driven past let alone explore during the main game.

I say they should source Nico Belek's grand father and plop him in the middle of 40's L.A . at least there would be no mobile phones to be made go on play dates with needy friends :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I started wishing there was an button to turn off the radio when that damn chicken song started playing. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

****ing game. I find myself seeing things in town, saying "Nothing if interest here".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

I'm having a problem completing street crimes on this game. I'm currently stuck on 38/40. Basically, the flashing icon showing the location of the crime on my radar suddenly disappears before I have reached the crime scene.

Has anyone here experienced something similar? I'm playing on PS3.

I can provide more specific details later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Leopardi wrote: »
    I'm having a problem completing street crimes on this game. I'm currently stuck on 38/40. Basically, the flashing icon showing the location of the crime on my radar suddenly disappears before I have reached the crime scene.

ya i experienced that on 360. i used to select the street crime and get my partner to drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Just a heads up folks, I saw last night that the nickelson electroplating case is now available for download.

I don't know when it came out, but i know I downloaded it late last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Came out yesterday, it's pretty good although it isn't as long as you think it would be. Here's an interview with one of the game directors about the dlc, link
    This is what he had to say about the fraud/burglary desks
    We had so much to work with that some material never made it past the conceptual stage: we never ended up shooting capture or creating substantial code for burglary and bunco, for instance, although they were part of the original idea.

Edit for mobile users:
    GameSpot: Now that L.A. Noire has been out for a while, what has been the biggest surprise for you in terms of how it has been received by the public?

Brendan McNamara: We are really happy with the response, especially for a new IP and what we think is a new type of game. For me personally, it was surprising to see people play the game through in marathon sessions, especially the first couple of weeks. I expected that people would play a case at a time or a couple of cases at a time rather than straight through, so that was an eye-opener. Another interesting aspect is that many of the cases can be played through in different ways, and we are only just starting to see people realize that on second playthrough.

One interesting aspect is that the "doubt" option in the conversations was originally "force"--with the idea that you try and force an answer out of someone who was holding back on you, and so Phelps gets pretty tough with the person he is interrogating. Because there was more to it than simply forcing someone to elaborate--sometimes gentle coaxing is required--we settled on the catch-all term of "doubt." However, due to the fact that many of the key actions under the doubt option are forceful, there are quite a few people that think Aaron Staton's performance is slightly psychotic on the doubt option. That's down to me and not Aaron!

GS: In the past you've talked about the amount of content the team originally came up with for L.A. Noire--cases that never made it into the game, or even entire desks. Now that players are familiar with the story, can you shed some light on the process of determining what ultimately made it onto the disc? On the flip side, how did you determine which cases would be best suited for DLC?

BM: I had put a lot of work into creating the narrative backbone for the game, but it was pretty clear from very early on that there was more story than we were ever going to be able to fit into the game itself. We created a database of over 1800 crimes for 1947 based on what we'd found in the four major newspapers of the time and broke them up into traffic, burglary, bunco, homicide, vice, and arson because that's how the LAPD Detective Bureau was divided up back then. We had so much to work with that some material never made it past the conceptual stage: we never ended up shooting capture or creating substantial code for burglary and bunco, for instance, although they were part of the original idea.

In addition, we had strong ideas for several big cases that didn't tie in to the main story arc but that had great potential on their own, like Naked City and Nicholson Electroplating. Once the game itself was close to complete, we could turn our attention to those cases, as their story and structure were perfect for DLC. We left homicide as one complete desk because it has its own overarching story within the desk.

GS: Tell us about the upcoming downloadable case, Nicholson Electroplating. What's happening in this case, and how does it compare with some of the other arson desk crimes?

BM: Without spoiling anything, the cases of the arson desk are tightly linked to the main plot thread of the game, and they have their own momentum as they build up to the game's finale. By contrast, Nicholson works much better as a stand-alone case, and it has its roots in a real-life incident that made headlines across America for days afterward.

GS: Some of the cases in the game are more historically rooted than others. Where does Nicholson Electroplating fall in that spectrum?

BM: Nicholson Electroplating is based on one of the largest industrial accidents in California history: On February 20, 1947, the O'Connor Electroplating plant in downtown Los Angeles exploded so powerfully that a massive mushroom cloud appeared over downtown L.A. Debris was raining down in the San Fernando Valley, miles away from the blast event. It became the first ever outside TV news broadcast, and the mayor showed up to calm the public as a lot of people thought L.A. had been nuked. The circumstances of the real-world case are fascinating and involve plenty of deception and mystery. For the in-game case, we've added a few extra layers of intrigue and a few set pieces that make it a large and satisfying chunk of gameplay.

GS: L.A. Noire is interesting in the way that there are all these self-contained cases with their own beginnings and ends, but also a slowly building story that goes from light foreshadowing to full-on overarching narrative. How did you look at the story and decide how and when players would be able to access these DLC cases within the overall structure of the game?

BM: We knew the DLC cases would be stand-alone stories that the player could access at any time, but we also knew that they would be from different desks in the game's timeline. They were designed to drop back in to each desk in the flow of the game, but they don't contain any of the overarching plot. So when a player decides to play one of the DLC cases, they'll be working alongside their partner from that desk. In the case of arson, it's Herschel Biggs. For Reefer Madness, an administrative vice case, you'll be partnering back up with the smooth-talking Roy Earle.

GS: In the case of Nicholson Electroplating, how do you expect the reactions to compare between players who have completed the game and those who haven't?

BM: The case is big--it should take an accomplished player over an hour to complete at least, while a player taking their time to get the most out of a case could take 90 minutes to two hours--so we think it will be very satisfying to everyone. If you haven't reached the arson desk, it still makes sense in its own right, and it isn't related to the thread that runs through the other arson cases. Players who've finished the game will enjoy returning to some of their favorite characters with a little extra insight into what makes them tick, while players who haven't finished will be getting a chunky, surprise-filled case. If you haven't completed the game, I'd recommend downloading Nicholson Electroplating and playing it within the main game flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

The street crimes occur at certain times either during the or day or night it just a matter of timing, keep an eye out and the street crime location will reappear the next day at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I had the same problem on the PS3. There was 1 case that whenever I used to get near it disappeared. Anyway the way I got around it was to get my partner to drive to the scene. In order to not have to go through all the other street crimes at that desk before the one you need appears. Start the free drive, then restart it, and the game should automatically load up the street crime that you're missing. Then it's just a matter of getting your partner to drive to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Liked the premise seemed a decent kinda of game, hated that no matter what you do thr storyline progresses anyway.

Look forward to LA 2 and it fixing the the fact no mattter what you do or dont do the storyline will be affected.

Great idea, average game, poor implementation of said idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I finished the story cases on PS3 the other day. I really enjoyed the game but when i finished the last case, it was the end, credits bla bla bla, little story after credits, then it went back to the main menu.

My problem is when i click resume it goes back to the middle of the last case, where the last save was. It never saved when i finished. So i cant get back into the game to do the street crimes etc.

Anyone have this probelm? Am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,684 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mackman wrote: »
    My problem is when i click resume it goes back to the middle of the last case, where the last save was. It never saved when i finished. So i cant get back into the game to do the street crimes etc.

At the main menu, scroll down to 'Cases'. Here you can select a desk folder and choose streets of LA to go free roam reporting to crime calls and collecting things

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I finished the story cases on PS3 the other day. I really enjoyed the game but when i finished the last case, it was the end, credits bla bla bla, little story after credits, then it went back to the main menu.

When you load the game instead of continuing at the main screen you can go down to cases and select all the cases from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Each desk, after you complete it, has an option called "Streets of LA" that lets you free roam to complete any street crimes, collect film cans and the like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,684 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

F1ngers wrote: »
    Reason: Speedy Gonzales Sheehy

Thats what she said :(

Advertisement