Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Have to say this game had the potential to be amazing but the flaws really ruined the game for me. In particular when you go exploring a narrow space and your dickhead partner decides to walk right behind you, meaning you're stuck there until the game works that you're stuck and you manage to wriggle free. Surely when they were play-testing this someone must have noticed this.

By the way is anyone having trouble synching with the Social Club? I managed to sync the first time, I then moved the PS into another room which has no signal as it has a bigger TV, however when I moved the PS back to the room with the signal I keep getting a "synchronisation failed" message? The connection is ok as I can go online on the PS. Has been like this at least 2 days???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Have to say this game had the potential to be amazing but the flaws really ruined the game for me. In particular when you go exploring a narrow space and your dickhead partner decides to walk right behind you, meaning you're stuck there until the game works that you're stuck and you manage to wriggle free. Surely when they were play-testing this someone must have noticed this.

By the way is anyone having trouble synching with the Social Club? I managed to sync the first time, I then moved the PS into another room which has no signal as it has a bigger TV, however when I moved the PS back to the room with the signal I keep getting a "synchronisation failed" message? The connection is ok as I can go online on the PS. Has been like this at least 2 days???

Yeah the sync is worse since the last patch , says they are working on it if you hover over it on the social club. Could have done with it when going for the public menace achievement too. TIP: for that one find some fire engines ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

calex71 wrote: »
    Now the question is do I pour more money into the game for the sake of 100% / achievements and also lose money on it's trade in / resale value by holing on to it until july :confused:

Fair play to them on the pricing and speed of release of this stuff though

I traded in yesterday to Gamestop for 32e credit, and when the DLC comes around I'll rent it from gameclick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Just at the part when
    Cole finds Sheldon. I absolutely loved his rant to Roy, amazing stuff.

"He was a better man than you'll ever know. You saw one more word about him and I will blow your f*cking head off."

The only thing that would have made that even better would be
    if he did actually blow Roy Earl away. Great scene, I watched it hoping Roy was about to get what was coming to him

I actually really like the ending to it, apart from ***ENDING SPOILERS**
    Roy Earl speaking at the funeral. Also, Cole Phelps just wasn't a likeable enough character for his death to have any impact at all, so that whole scene in the sewer kind of felt tacked on in some attempt for shock value (pity RDR got there first and did it better). John Marstons death was a lot better as you at least felt some connection with him. When Phelps got washed away I literally just thought "meh".

Excellent game overall and I fully enjoyed it, though it did tend to dip towards being tedious around the middle of the 3rd disc. Not sure if I'll go back and 5 star the cases I didn't get, and no real interest in hunting for film reels or cars so maybe its time to trade this while the value is still good. Anyone know what trade in price HMV are offering for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Holder

Is it possible to read the last few pages of this thread without looking at all the spoilers? :)

I feel so slow finishing this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 _mark_08_

I finished the game last week and i have to say its a very good game, i also have the add-ons so gonna start them now this week

Holder wrote: »
    Is it possible to read the last few pages of this thread without looking at all the spoilers? :)

I feel so slow finishing this.

Yeah, just don't highlight any sections covered in black and you'll be Ok :D

I had the same thing when it came to finishing it. Couldn't put it down for the first few days but as it came to the end I was struggling to play even an hour a night of it. Finished it last night anyway and it was well worth it ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im onto the last few cases now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Finished this last night. Like a fair few here,
    the ending was a bit of a cop out (no pun intended :p). Killing off Phelps had no logic to it whatsoever, and logic seemed completely bereft when they made him out to cheat on his wife (having portrayed him as a devout family man) and also having his Vice partner, who he seemed to dislike immensely, talk at his funeral.

A sequel can and should be done. Iron out the flaws that are holding this game back from being great a la Assassins Creed ---> AC2

Have more of a Mass Effect style attempt at consequences of decisions and choices during interrogations and then them coming back to bite you in the ass. It would be nice to see (although from a cops point of view it wouldn't) that a case is thrown out of court due to lack of evidence. Seeing as I wrongly convicted two people throughout the game, it would be cool to see my rep tarnished somewhat and then having to rectify that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Is the rest of the game as boring as the first mission?

• Advertisement

Simple answer, no. Vice and Arson desks are much better than traffic and homicide. The last few missions are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

aaronh007 wrote: »
    logic seemed completely bereft when they...and also having his Vice partner, who he seemed to dislike immensely, talk at his funeral.
    The whole point of that was to show us that without the arsonist, they couldn't push the case, so his Vice partner got off scot-free, is still working in Vice, and life goes on. The corruption never got corrected.

Healium wrote: »
    The whole point of that was to show us that without the arsonist, they couldn't push the case, so his Vice partner got off scot-free, is still working in Vice, and life goes on. The corruption never got corrected.

Well of course when you put it that way it makes sense :p

I understand now though, thanks. It was the 4 am finish time that buggered me. May play through the last case and finale again just to get my head around what you've said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Well of course when you put it that way it makes sense :p

I understand now though, thanks. It was the 4 am finish time that buggered me. May play through the last case and finale again just to get my head around what you've said :)
    the bit that kinda gives way why we got the bad ending was because Phelps wanted to bring in the ex-army flamethrower guy to solve the case. they could have done that but Kelso decided shooting him was for the best rather than shaming him in court, long jail term, etc....

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    the bit that kinda gives way why we got the bad ending was because Phelps wanted to bring in the ex-army flamethrower guy to solve the case. they could have done that but Kelso decided shooting him was for the best rather than shaming him in court, long jail term, etc....
    Another thing to note from the ending was when Kelso went into the sewers, the Chief or whatever he is turns up.... realises the DA has a good chance of cracking the case and asks him can they make a deal.

Shows more evidence of continued corruption, it's only ok as long as your getting away with it, but others will use it against you to seize control and play their own games then

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just got 100% completion and my first platinum trophy :D
    Tracking down the last few cars was a pain.

I've still got 25 to track down :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Finally finished the Vice desk. The cases were very boring though. It's a bit of a downer after the excellent homicide cases. I didn't do very well either on Vice but i wasn't really paying attention to the details because i was so bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

This game seems to one of the most divisive games of this generation. Heralded by a large portion of players, but there also seems to be a lot of player quite bored and frustrated while playing it.
    I'm on the side of he argument that it is a great game that I did find boring at times (very few), which had it's design problems but was a fresh, new experience and brought something new to the table.

Another thing to note from the ending was when Kelso went into the sewers, the Chief or whatever he is turns up.... realises the DA has a good chance of cracking the case and asks him can they make a deal.

A bit off-topic, but... I wasn't paying attention around this part.
    Why does the police force turn on Kelso when they're heading to the sewers. Went way over my head.

A bit off-topic, but... I wasn't paying attention around this part.
    Why does the police force turn on Kelso when they're heading to the sewers. Went way over my head.

Probably because
    Kelso shot (killed?) Leland Monroe of Elysian Fields Developments at his mansion. He was involved in all of the corruption within the police force, with all of the other bent police worried about this info getting out I'm guessing they wanted Kelso due to that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm trading this today. Rockstar need someone to write better mission stories for them. Completely fed up of it. So many great things about this, let down by repetitive and dull cases/mission.

Team Bondi, whoever, Rockstar need to have their own writing team that they can deploy on whoever anyone is putting their logo on the box, because it seems a bit of a co-incidence that any game they publish has boring missions.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm trading this today. Rockstar need someone to write better mission stories for them. Completely fed up of it. So many great things about this, let down by repetitive and dull cases/mission.
    In fairness, the cases, and the story as a whole, are very well-written. If you find it repetitive, that's a gameplay issue, not story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

In fairness, the cases, and the story as a whole, are very well-written. If you find it repetitive, that's a gameplay issue, not story
    I personally dont think the story is very well written. The Mass Effect story is written better I think. Theres lots of plot holes and dull parts to the story. I didnt care about the characters one bit, and the ending was... bleh! Just an average game in general.

The Dalia murders were seriously un-inspiring. It wasn't the format only, it was also the outcome of those cases. The early cases only held my interest because the experience was fresh, and now the general consensus from people that agree with me seems to be that the end is disappointing, so I think I'd rather play anything else I enjoy.

It feels like a chore, and I'm at a disadvantage having seeing any episode of any crime program, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I'm replaying the Homicide cases again for 5 stars and the plot holes are crazy. They bugged me the first time through and its even worse the second time:
    - Seline Henry case (Red Lipstick murder):
    The murder weapon and blood stained shirt are found conveniently in the open in the suspects apartment.
    The suspects shoe size is an exact match.
    The suspect runs from the cops immediately despite being innocent and presumably not knowing about the planted evidence.
    The suspect refuses to talk and no mention is ever made about him pleading his innocence.

-Deidre Moller case (Golden Butterfly)
    Both the husband and the pedo wear the exact same shoe size (8), wear identical sounding uniforms with HM stenciled on them and have a knowledge of ropes and how to use them. That level of coincidence is crazy.
    Husband says blood on his shoes are rabbits blood yet we can't confirm that with the coroner.
    The evidence against both is very flimsy but there's more against the husband. Despite that you "fail" the case if you charge him.

For game based on investigation and interrogation its annoying when its glaringly obvious that there are huge plot contrivances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just starting it now. Disappointed to see the comments about the poor ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm coming up to the end i think and i think chore is the besat way to describe this section of the game. The interregations are getting more frustrating and annoying as well.

Also Phelps is starting to really bug me. A very dull and two dimensional character to have as the lead character for the game. I think the Vice guy Earle would have been a better character for the main role.

I'm coming up to the end i think and i think chore is the besat way to describe this section of the game. The interregations are getting more frustrating and annoying as well.

Also Phelps is starting to really bug me. A very dull and two dimensional character to have as the lead character for the game. I think the Vice guy Earle would have been a better character for the main role.

No way. Roy Earl is one character I wish there was an option to shoot. Can't stand him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Roy Earle is great. He's a smarmy character with a top notch sh1t eating grin. Roy => :D

Advertisement