Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

I just finished it there now, I enjoyed the game a lot overall. I can see why a lot of people would have got bored with it or found it repetitive. In the last few cases the questioning gets very hard, I got the majority of them wrong.

The ending was good, storyline wise.
    The character change came totally out of the blue and very random but it worked well with the story. I liked Jack Kelso a lot more than Cole, who was a bit of a dull character. It was hard to make a connection with him, in the same way as you dO with John Marston, for example, so I didn't care too much when he died at the end compared to when John Marston died in RDR. Roy Earle giving a eulogy at his funeral was a fantastic touch, it really drove the point home that the corruption goes on.
    Spoiler includes RDR spoilers too, if you haven't played that game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Anyone purchase the Rockstar pass thing?

None of the extra cases are available yet are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Anyone purchase the Rockstar pass thing?

None of the extra cases are available yet are they?
    I purchased it yesterday. €8.99. So far you have access to all the DLC that was given away with preorders. So that's two cases, (Slip of the Tongue and The Naked City), the Badge Challenge, a couple of suits and weapons. When they realease the other DLC like the Nicholson Electroplating DLC and the Reefer Madness one you'll be able to download them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I purchased it too! But didn't see any update in game, none of that new stuff was there!

Do you have to download them seperatly or should they just appear in game after downloading the pass!?

When you purchase the Pass, all the DLC will then be free for you in the PSN Store. You have to download them all separately yourself from the PSN Store. I'm not sure if it works if you try to access the Stroe from within the game. It froze on me once and I think that I read on this thread that someone recently said that it froze on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Traded it in there in smyths for €45. Last day at that price if anyone's interested. You have about 2 hrs to get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Traded it in there in smyths for €45. Last day at that price if anyone's interested. You have about 2 hrs to get there!

That's only if you bought it there for €50. It's trade in value otherwise is €30

That's only if you bought it there for €50. It's trade in value otherwise is €30

Nope. Got mine in gamestop with the 3 quid deal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The offer they had on was that you could trade it back in within 14 days and get what you paid less a fiver in trade in value. If you had a smyths loyalty card when you bought it it was €44.99 giving you €39.99 trade in now. It is €30 for other people without receipts in Smyths Blanch at the moment. I can only assume it was mistakenly put through as the €5 trade in deal for you. Happy days mind you. :)

The offer they had on was that you could trade it back in within 14 days and get what you paid less a fiver in trade in value. If you had a smyths loyalty card when you bought it it was €44.99 giving you €39.99 trade in now. It is €30 for other people without receipts in Smyths Blanch at the moment. I can only assume it was mistakenly put through as the €5 trade in deal for you. Happy days mind you. :)

Or smyths blanch could be wrong. I don't have a loyalty card, have never bought or traded in before at smyths. There are other posters earlier in the thread who have also traded in for 45 despite not having bought there. Either way as u say happy days for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Finally finished this. Glad the game picked up a bit again towrds the end.
    I enjoyed playing as Kelso for the last few missions. A lot better than playing as Phelps. Should of had him as the main character for the game.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Smarmy wrote: »
    I just finished it there now, I enjoyed the game a lot overall. I can see why a lot of people would have got bored with it or found it repetitive. In the last few cases the questioning gets very hard, I got the majority of them wrong.

The ending was good, storyline wise.
    The character change came totally out of the blue and very random but it worked well with the story. I liked Jack Kelso a lot more than Cole, who was a bit of a dull character. It was hard to make a connection with him, in the same way as you dO with John Marston, for example, so I didn't care too much when he died at the end compared to when John Marston died in RDR. Roy Earle giving a eulogy at his funeral was a fantastic touch, it really drove the point home that the corruption goes on.
    Spoiler includes RDR spoilers too, if you haven't played that game

Agree totally.
    Jack was a way better character than Phelps, who's backstory felt a bit tacked on to me. I mean, we hear about two mentions of his wife and family before he loses it all and we're supposed to be really upset about it? :\
    The ending made me angry though. I literally was shouting at the screen to shoot Earl in the face! I'm noticing a pattern in Rockstar games though...GTAIV, RDR and now this have all ended on a similar sour note. In a way I like it because it's more realistic, but it kinda made me feel bad for a while after finishing it.

While the game is great, as I play it more(only about four achievements to get now) I'm noticing more and more flaws... I was parked at an intersection there for a bit earlier, and noticed some terrible framerate issues with the traffic. Also, now that I've had to do it approx. 80 times(50 film Reels and 3? street crimes so far) getting your partner to drive is starting to irritate me more and more. Not sure what I'd prefer though, because if the screen just cut to black and suddenly you were in the car I'd be complaining too. :P

One of the things I've noticed as well, the city doesn't feel alive. I mean, in GTAIV, it actually felt as if the people were going about their daily business as normal, but in LAN, it just feels dead to me. I was in a trolley depot getting a film reel, and the trolleys would pull up, stop for two seconds and pull off again...lazy in my opinion. How hard would it have been for them to copy the code they used for the trains in GTAIV over?

Still, a great game, and a relatively easy 1000G to be had. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Agree totally.
    I'm noticing a pattern in Rockstar games though...GTAIV, RDR and now this have all ended on a similar sour note. In a way I like it because it's more realistic, but it kinda made me feel bad for a while after finishing it.
    Team Bondi are mainly responsible for this game. Rockstar had little influence over the plot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

KerranJast wrote: »
    Team Bondi are mainly responsible for this game. Rockstar had little influence over the plot.

Really? Didn't think they were the main devs on it. Now that you say it though, it does have echoes of The Getaway. (Wikipedia says the Team Bondi founder wrote the Getaway and who am I to contradict. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Really? Didn't think they were the main devs on it. Now that you say it though, it does have echoes of The Getaway. (Wikipedia says the Team Bondi founder wrote the Getaway and who am I to contradict. :) )

OMG

yes, team bondi's baby this game, rockstar are the publishers mainly

while we are on the topic:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/03/l-a-noire-devs-speak-out-on-credits-snub.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tomo053

Hello everyone, don't post often but been a member for a while, just going to give my 2cents on the game.....bland, worth a rent, very repetitive and somewhat predictable (atleast homicide desk was).

Did anyone else guess who the Black Dhaila was before the mission in the chruch?

Anyway, IMO, if Bioware buy the facial recognition thechonolgy from Rockstar then we are in for a treat.

This game really seems like it's just a showcase for the facial technology. Every orther feature seems unpolished or something i.e. the gunplay, the story, the fact that it is the most linear "sandbox type" game I've ever played.

Maybe I'm being to critical or expected too much from the game, but I am dissapointed all the same.

TLDR: rent it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got this yesterday on PS3 only started it but its making the Tv/Ps3 go mental flipping between resolutions constantly. Only game this happens on, anyone else have somethig like this happen?

Mostly happens when ever a cut scene is about to start or finish.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I need to fins 15 more cars ahhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Thought it was a great game, there are a few problems with it but overall a great game.
    • On the xbox there are times when the framerate drops if only for a few seconds.
    • Theres kinda too much driving, at one point i was doing a radio mission and was driving for about 15 mins. I seen it say you could skip to destination near the end of the game but it went away too quickly.
    • Theres some cars you cant get like the fire engine and you cant get on the trams.
    • Also the camera angles of the car pissed me off i wanted to in car camera like in GTA 4.
    • Bushes are like solid walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Scram wrote: »
    Thought it was a great game, there are a few problems with it but overall a great game.
    • Theres kinda too much driving, at one point i was doing a radio mission and was driving for about 15 mins. I seen it say you could skip to destination near the end of the game but it went away too quickly.
    • Theres some cars you cant get like the fire engine and you cant get on the trams.

You hold Y beside the car so your partner drives ie skips to the marked destination.

And I drove a fire engine in it, found it beside the Police station when I got to vice.

• Advertisement

tomo053 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, don't post often but been a member for a while, just going to give my 2cents on the game.....bland, worth a rent, very repetitive and somewhat predictable (atleast homicide desk was).

Did anyone else guess who the Black Dhaila was before the mission in the chruch?

Anyway, IMO, if Bioware buy the facial recognition thechonolgy from Rockstar then we are in for a treat.

This game really seems like it's just a showcase for the facial technology. Every orther feature seems unpolished or something i.e. the gunplay, the story, the fact that it is the most linear "sandbox type" game I've ever played.

Maybe I'm being to critical or expected too much from the game, but I am dissapointed all the same.

TLDR: rent it

Yeah, I have to admit I figured out who he was at the second case, but still love the game.

Oooh yes, I hadn't even though of Bioware using this....Commander Shepard or Liara with this? Nice.
    Although... some of the faces in LA Noire are wierd at times, so in a way I hope they don't mess with the ME series and maybe develop the tech a bit more and use it in future IP's.
    Scram wrote: »
    • On the xbox there are times when the framerate drops if only for a few seconds.
    • Also the camera angles of the car pissed me off i wanted to in car camera like in GTA 4.

Have to agree with these points unfortunately. While I was searching for the 95 cars to get the achievement, I spent a lot of time parked at intersections and noticed these framerate issues here. Also in some of the chases when there are a lot of cars on the screen at once.
    I was a bit disappointed with the camera while driving too, but to be honest, the driving in the game is probably the weakest part as a whole, so camera angles wouldn't have made a difference imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I need to fins 15 more cars ahhhhhhhhh

I had about 15 to go for the last few days, but had gotten that many without really trying - just took a lot of cars during normal playthrough.
    Got the last two this morning.:D

F1ngers wrote: »
    I had about 15 to go for the last few days, but had gotten that many without really trying - just took a lot of cars during normal playthrough.
    Got the last two this morning.:D
    Had 8 to get this morning and just ploughed through them. there's a nice little bug/glictch where if you go into the show room and find a car (that should be fairly common (i.e. not police cars etc) that you haven't gotten yet and while on that car silhouette press the circle button and then go into cases and then free roam. That car should be there either in a car park or at a junction near by. Worked loads for me.

Just have the Naked City trophies, the moose and the 47000 damage mission one too. Then I'm done!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Had 8 to get this morning and just ploughed through them. there's a nice little bug/glictch where if you go into the show room and find a car (that should be fairly common (i.e. not police cars etc) that you haven't gotten yet and while on that car silhouette press the circle button and then go into cases and then free roam. That car should be there either in a car park or at a junction near by. Worked loads for me.

Just have the Naked City trophies, the moose and the 47000 damage mission one too. Then I'm done!

I actually did over $200,000 damage, wrecked every single hidden car and the about 10 Corsairs.
    Started up in Hollywood and wrecked a load of cars en route to the Corsairs down the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Simple tip for those who do the damage one and come up short, when i tried it I got 46730 or something like that, simply switch off xbox/ps3 and resume. It'll bring ya to the last save before the end of the case

• Registered Users Posts: 29,684 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

just finished the game there, really underwhelmed by the story towards the end and the ending itself.

Anyone get the r* pass and can say if the DLC cases are worth it? I have given up on the platinum as it is just not fun driving round looking for cars.

F1ngers wrote: »
    I actually did over $200,000 damage, wrecked every single hidden car and the about 10 Corsairs.
    Started up in Hollywood and wrecked a load of cars en route to the Corsairs down the bottom.

That was probably the most fun achievement in the game! I went ape**** in the city, wrecked about 100 cars, ran over about 20 people and knocked over everything on the sidewalks in Hollywood. :)

Just the Moose to get now, which is proving to be a total bitch to get.... I always get about 3/4 of the way through, and then she discovers me, and then the bloody checkpoint system screws me co it'll start you off in cover. I've interrogated Candy so many times now cos i've had to keep restarting. :(

That was probably the most fun achievement in the game! I went ape**** in the city, wrecked about 100 cars, ran over about 20 people and knocked over everything on the sidewalks in Hollywood. :)

Just the Moose to get now, which is proving to be a total bitch to get.... I always get about 3/4 of the way through, and then she discovers me, and then the bloody checkpoint system screws me co it'll start you off in cover. I've interrogated Candy so many times now cos i've had to keep restarting. :(
    Follow this to a T and you'll get through it, no hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Anyone get the r* pass and can say if the DLC cases are worth it? I have given up on the platinum as it is just not fun driving round looking for cars.

I got it seems like value for money all dlc for 800 points i havent played the cases yet im trying to finish all the collectables before i touch the dlc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Just finished it last night...

This game would have been much better if the story actually started from
    the Arson Desk. Kelso's character is much easier to empathise with than Cole. Also I don't believe they should have killed off Cole. Him and Kelso cleaning up the city would have made a good starting point ofr number 2.
    Gonna trade it in now.

Advertisement