Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks great, acting is superb. Hoping it's bit like a less weird deadly premonition with a budget :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Excellent trailer. Has a really believable feel to it. The facial animation is excellent as well. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

"I took many a lump, but 'twas all in good fun."

Not overawed by the graphics but the voice acting seems excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think the graphics are pretty good on the character models. The faces look great. Reading up on it a while ago and apparently you have to pay attention to tells and twitches that people have when you're interviewing them, so hopefully the animations will really shine in that area.

The backgrounds aren't too brilliant, but it's a fairly free roaming game, so I generally come to expect the likes of GTA or Mafia with regards to the worlds content.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is that Ken Cosgrove from Mad Men?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

ShaneU wrote: »

Ha i was thinking the same myself, kudos to a great show.

As for the game, gonna wait for a few people to get it first....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Finally you get to play someone on the other side of the law, a private eye is the perfect idea.

Can't really complain about the graphics, its limited by the fact that its a console game and theres nothing Rockstar can do to make the hardware better so they gotta roll with they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wasn't this announced like 5 years ago ????

I'd forgotten about it totally but this looks good. One to look forward to I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

calex71 wrote: »
    Wasn't this announced like 5 years ago ????

I'd forgotten about it totally but this looks good. One to look forward to I think.
    Yea, many thought it was vapour ware. Really looking forward to this now. Wonder who was doing the Irish was. Was pretty decent for a video game any form of media.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stuckin

Kinda makes me think of this...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First Duke Nukem, now LA Noire? What's with all this vapourware returning from the grave?

The lead character's a bit so-so, but the rest and their facial expressions are eerily convincing. Especially that character who says "it takes a particular animal cunning..." / "This is your chance, don't fail me", the little twitches in his face while he speaks are sublime.

I'm guessing then it's a modern-day point n' click if the emphasis is on sleuthing so that in particular has be interested: it's a shame there's no PC version on the way (or at least, going by the logos at the end of the trailer, this seems to be the case) :(

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm guessing then it's a modern-day point n' click if the emphasis is on sleuthing so that in particular has be interested: it's a shame there's no PC version on the way (or at least, going by the logos at the end of the trailer, this seems to be the case) :(

It's kind of like a mix of free-roaming in a large GTA style city, where you get a call on the radio to investigate various crimes (I think you start off in traffic and move your way up through vice and then homicide), and then it goes into a kind of first person view when interviewing people of searching around a crime scene.

I read a 4 page article on it in, I think, PCGamer. I probably threw it out, but I'll see if I can find it and get some more info.

I'm actually kind of surprised at the Spring 2011 release. I had assumed that once it was re-announced that it'd be a year or more away. Can't wait for it. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

humanji wrote: »
    It's kind of like a mix of free-roaming in a large GTA style city, where you get a call on the radio to investigate various crimes (I think you start off in traffic and move your way up through vice and then homicide), and then it goes into a kind of first person view when interviewing people of searching around a crime scene. [...]

I WANT TO GO TO THERE.

That sounds awesome; they may just be making the same album over and over again, but by god you gotta love Rockstar's sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Have been looking forward to this since it was announced. I also immediately though of Ken from Mad Men... It's gotta be him.

As for the trailer... I'm not sure what to think. I would consider LA Confidential to be one of my favourite movies. I've watched it so many times. I'm just wondering if this game is going to be Rockstar's LA Confidential in the same way that Vice City could be compared to Scarface? It even has the Irish police captain. Mark my words now, he's dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

No PC version :(

ShaneU wrote: »
    The main character is voiced by Aaron Staton from Mad Men (I don't watch it, so don't know if that's the guy you're talking about).

I found this article on the net that gives more info about it:
    Digital Pulp

Noir is often considered a genre left to movies and literature. Bullets, booze, femme fatales and moral shades of gray have been explored in cinema via Humphrey Bogart and in books via Raymond Chandler. The themes and ideas exposed have generally been kept away from the video game audience but Australia's Team Bondi have decided to bring those things to the masses with L.A. Noire, as well as promising a few significant changes to the gaming industry itself.

Set in Los Angeles in 1947, you'll play as Cole Phelps, a policeman and World War 2 vet with ambitions the size of the very city he inhabits. The city itself will be massive in scope, something the developers have striven hard to accomplish. Looking over photos, records and street plans from that day and age, Team Bondi reconstructed what Los Angeles would've actually looked like during that time all the way down to the small alleyways and store names. This urban expansion makes more sense when one realizes that Rockstar Games, the fellows behind the Grand Theft Auto series, are publishing L.A. Noire as well as providing some development support. Once again, a sprawling cityscape will be the playground.

Well, mostly your playground. You're playing a policeman after all, not a mob associate or gangbanger, so your trigger finger will have to be partially subdued. Though you'll have freedom to go anywhere you want and do anything, your directive is much more focused than in any GTA game. Starting as a simple beat cop, Cole Phelps (voiced by Mad Men's Aaron Stanton) has been spat out into the rough world of post-war America, a landscape crawling with corrupt cops, drug pushers, murderers and hosts of other characters that seek to make Cole's life as a man in blue a treacherous one. But he deals with it. Cole Phelps is one of the few good ones, ready to take it to the streets, fueled by his dreams of reaching the homicide department.

Desk Work

Your rise through the ranks will be steady throughout L.A. Noire. From beat cop you rise to robbery to vice and other police departments until you reach homicide, acquiring a new partner with each desk you make it to. Your partner will, obviously, be a significant tool as you perform your investigations. Should you get stuck in a situation with no obvious clues you can ask your partner for help and they may prod you in the right direction. Need to take a long drive across town to the next plot advancement? Sure, you could simply jump there with the push of a button, but you could also enjoy the ride and chat it up with your partner about the suspects and evidence (and maybe stop a few crimes that could happen along the way).

But all this crime-solving won't be as simple as asking your partner for an easy clue. In fact, scene investigation is a key component of L.A. Noire, designed as a challenge to all the eagle-eyes out there. There will be no highlighted items, no clear path to follow. Many of the crimes in the game are based off of actual crimes during that time, thus many of the crime scenes have been painstakingly recreated as well. The guys at Team Bondi scoured newspaper clippings and police reports and photos, carefully reconstructing the murders and robberies and chases that occurred in the dark corners of L.A. The developers have even written endings to crimes that wound up unsolved. All this meticulous crafting has left a refreshingly realistic world for your detective skills to explore.

All clue-sleuthing will wind up in your notebook, possibly your most vital instrument in L.A. Noire. Whereas characters in the GTA games relied on guns, Cole Phelps will keep his notebook closer to the vest than any other item in his possession. See a brand name etched upon a murder weapon? Jot it down. Something strange written on a piece of paper next to a dead body? Record what it says. A witness said something about a mysterious black car driving by? Make those words eternal. Your notebook will be one of the biggest aspects to your rise through the ranks.

The Art of Lying

That, plus your interviewing skills. The interviewing of suspects and witnesses is vital to the solving of real-life crimes and it will be no different here. However, this won't be as simple as selecting the right choices in a dialogue tree. Team Bondi have introduced a new kind of technology that will, according to several sources, change the way in-game characters are rendered. Much buzz has been made about L.A. Noire's face rendering technology. Brendan McNamara, Team Bondi's founder, began a motion-capture studio called Depth Analysis solely for the purpose of creating the facial expressions for L.A. Noire. When early renderings simply weren't doing the trick, McNamara set out to revolutionize the way they are made and, judging from early previews of the technology, he and the folks at Depth Analysis are truly on to something.

Taking place in a large studio in Sydney, Australia, most actors in the game (reportedly over 300) acted out their scenes while roughly 32 cameras captured their performance. The motions and acting given were transferred to computers and reanimated for use in the video game. The technology, called (surprise surprise) 'motion-scan', has seemingly upped the ante for all facial animation in a game, even giving the developers of Heavy Rain a run for their money.

Now, when suspects and witnesses come under the heat lamp, you'll be forced to squint at every facial twitch and change the characters make. Is the suspect actually innocent? Could the witness be hiding something to protect themselves? Are you wasting your time or are you on the cusp of solving the case?

Assisting you in these interrogations will be the use of Coax, Accuse or Force, your three main options for moving the questioning along, but you'll need to watch yourself. Accuse too soon and the person will clam up and not say a thing. Coax too lightly and you'll never get anywhere. Force too often and your superiors may come down on you. It will be a delicate balancing act as you try and pry out the information you want while also making sure you don't lose it forever.

Taking the Case

But screwing up and dropping the lead happens in real life, and Team Bondi, sticking to their mantra of realism, looks to keep that up. Though some cases may have up to nine different endings, the developers have stated that you might not be able to solve all the cases. But don't fret because you'll have other ways of moving on. One dead-end case may be the beginning of a new one. A slow-moving case may cross paths with another or lead back to a cold one. Each case is even given its own title and though they'll often be independent of one another, they'll somehow help feed the overall story.

And the story looks to be as intriguing as any nourish tale of thugs, guns and cops. The gritty flow of a detective novel has never been overlooked and L.A. Noire looks to stay in line with that. With a script over 2200 pages, equivalent to 12 years of a TV series or 12 feature-length films, and over 20 hours of voice acting recorded, the scope of the story looks to be as large as the scope of Los Angeles itself. And though some of the stereotypes are intact (Cole Phelps's WW2 past and all its secrets come back to haunt him, and several of your partners will play the age-old 'bad cop' role to your good cop), considering all the changes L.A. Noire might bring to the industry, it's safe to overlook them.

Bringing It Home

The in-depth detective work, the expansive and detailed city and the earnest aspirations built into L.A. Noire should give any fan of hardboiled fiction an excuse for anticipation. The gunplay is one of the biggest pieces of the game that so far has been given little to no press but if Team Bondi can inject that aspect with as much precision and thought that they've given to the other main features, gamers need not worry about the thrill of the action. If all these parts can combine into a captivating symphony of foggy streets, shady women and cynical gumshoes, then Team Bondi might just introduce the noir genre to a new home.

feckin hell. Ive been waiting for something like this for a long long time:eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

This looks really interesting alright. Is that Liam Neeson voicing the police captain/boss guy?

The graphics don't need to be amazing for me, but the game's gonna need to be stylish to make it work well I think.

But it's Rockstar and it's an open world, so it's something they do well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Kharn wrote: »
    Is that Liam Neeson voicing the police captain/boss guy?
    Yeah I'm fairly certain its him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Well I hadn't heard a thing about this before but I'm loving the look of this. This could be pretty epic if it lives up to that trailer.

I'll be following this more closely now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Edge had a feature and cover towards the start of this year. That had release for Fall '10. I was dismayed to find out last August that it was pushed back to Spring '11, as it was the game that most interested me of all the upcoming (and past) releases this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Yeah I'm fairly certain its him.

i don't think it is, the face and voice match an actor you would see on telly but i can't put a name to
    he's one of those actors that you would know to see but wouldn't know the name

Skerries wrote: »
    i don't think it is, the face and voice match an actor you would see on telly but i can't put a name to
    he's one of those actors that you would know to see but wouldn't know the name
    Yea, I know exactly who you mean. Can't put my finger on him.

Jim wrote: »
    Yea, I know exactly who you mean. Can't put my finger on him.
    http://gameinformer.com/games/la_noire/b/xbox360/archive/2010/11/11/l-a-noire-preview.aspx

That's why all the facial expressions are so good. Also seems all the characters look like their voice actors. With that in mind I'm almost 100% that Brandon Keener (usually seen making some calibrations) does the main character / narrator in that trailer.

Apparently it's Aaron Stanton from Mad Men
    kencosgrove.jpg

But I'm still confident the narrator is Brandon Keener!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,563 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow, had no interest in this game with all the delays. Even the trailer wasn't anything special but Humanji's link above sealed it for me!

Always wanted a GTA style game where you play a cop, not a robber. Also love the CSI games and solving crimes. That mixed with a Noir story just sounds brilliant to me.

Now I can't wait for this game! balls anyway!

Okay, here we a go. A fantastic 4 page preview of this game including one of the cases you work. I cannot wait to play this and see it in action!!

http://gameinformer.com/games/la_noire/b/xbox360/archive/2010/11/11/l-a-noire-preview.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

I love everything Rockstar do.

I think this game has the potential to be another huge success for them.

Yeah although they're the publisher this time, Team Bondi are the devs doing all the groundbreaking stuff.

Having rockstar there helps massively though as, well, many will automatically buy it as a result with out any knowledge of how ground breaking its being hyped up to be.

This game has the potential to change things in the industry. And really put gaming on the map as proper rival for storying telling and not just entertainment, to movies and TV.

The fact that these guys have come up with tech that allows actors to just simply act, and their facial animations transfer onto to a 3D model, with out the need for painstaking frame by frame editing, could bring a massive boost to 3D animated films or tv shows too. As well as bring more major actors and directors to games.

• Advertisement

A slideshow of pictures showing scenes from the game. Looks well stylish.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sleuth-slideshow-l-a-noire/707569

Advertisement