Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,684 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

LA Noire coming to PC this fall! Just posted up by R* on Facebook.

To celebrate, check out this spot on video showing if LA Noire was real life

Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Fcuk it, didn't realise the price for the Rockstar Pass was going to go up after time... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm glad I got in there early for the R* pass for €8. It's the only price I was willing to pay for the DLC. Anything more and I dont think I would bother getting it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Think I am going to wait and get the superior version of the game :D

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/23/la-noire-coming-to-pc-this-fall/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Was just wondering if the following had happened to anyone else.....

Ok, I finished a case, and I had royally ****ed it up. We're talking carnage on Biblical proportions here. Next thing, I'm sitting in Captain "Generic Irish Cop #1"'s office and his ripping into me. Saying I've no discipline and that I'll learn my lesson solving street crimes in a uniform again.

Now, at this point, I thought, "Great, consequences at last!!", and was reminded of the True Crime games, where you actually were stopped solving a case and made solve crimes in a uniform again.
    Imagine my surprise when after the loading screen went away, the next case was starting as if I'd got a bloody commendation in the last case. It boggles the mind why they would have bothered paying the voice actor the extra money to tell you you were going back to a uniform if they weren't actually going to make you.....bit disappointing really since Activision managed to get this right a good number of years ago.

This happen to anyone else? Or was I having some freaky acid trip or something? :P :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Trevor451 wrote: »

No its a good idea poorly implemented no matter what platform you play it on.
    Now, at this point, I thought, "Great, consequences at last!!", and was reminded of the True Crime games, where you actually were stopped solving a case and made solve crimes in a uniform again.
    Imagine my surprise when after the loading screen went away, the next case was starting as if I'd got a bloody commendation in the last case. It boggles the mind why they would have bothered paying the voice actor the extra money to tell you you were going back to a uniform if they weren't actually going to make you.....bit disappointing really since Activision managed to get this right a good number of years ago.

Doesnt matter what you do the story will reach its conclusion regardless, no punishment for ****ing it up at all. you dont actually play the story you just move along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Ok, I finished a case, and I had royally ****ed it up. We're talking carnage on Biblical proportions here. Next thing, I'm sitting in Captain "Generic Irish Cop #1"'s office and his ripping into me. Saying I've no discipline and that I'll learn my lesson solving street crimes in a uniform again.

This happen to anyone else? Or was I having some freaky acid trip or something? :P :)

Ya the exact same thing happened to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Trevor451 wrote: »

Hopeful Rockstar aren't sharing any of their GTA IV gained PC porting 'expertise' with Bondi. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Out of interest did anyone get 5 stars or whatever the highest you can get is on that case? It would be supremely stupid if you got the same berating after perfectly completing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

marco_polo wrote: »
    Hopeful Rockstar aren't sharing any of their GTA IV gained PC porting 'expertise' with Bondi. :p

Are rockstar not developing the pc port?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

rickyjb wrote: »
    Out of interest did anyone get 5 stars or whatever the highest you can get is on that case? It would be supremely stupid if you got the same berating after perfectly completing it.

I think you can only get a maximum of 3 stars if your Captain gives out to you. The game seems to always assume you did get 5 stars though, which explains why you get commended on your abilities at the start of the next mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Yeah you get a "well done laddie. I'll see this scum is fried for this" style exchange when you charge the "right" guy :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Doesnt matter what you do the story will reach its conclusion regardless, no punishment for ****ing it up at all. you dont actually play the story you just move along with it.

In a way, I can see why they made it that way... they want to tell a story, and want you to experience that story the way they imagined it. To me though, the whole point of games is to get as much of a unique experience out of it as possible.

And like, I wouldn't have minded progressing the story as normal after the bollocking from the Captain, if I'd been forced to do some street crimes to make up for destroying half the city.....

What's also weird is, I got the "Well done m'boy"speech when I completed the case when I went to get 47000 penalties. Was told "You showed great police presence in the city"...I should think so, I ran over 50 people and destroyed 200 cars.... :P

I'm open to correction, but I'm pretty sure on the case where you have the choice between the husband and the paedophile to arrest, I got ripped into by the captain for charging the father and still got either four or three stars (can't remember which atm) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I reckon if rockstar put their name to duke nukem forever it would be getting rave reviews. They seem to be untouchable.

I got this game when it came out, expecting a cool, unique experience as every critic was harping on about how no other game is like it, OMG face technology blah blah blah... ITS MONKEY ISLAND FOR DORA THE EXPLORER LEVEL IQ.

The fact that no matter what you do in the game you cannot fail, makes it as dull as dishwater, if you want to complete a sub-mission, it is always the other side of town, making them an absolute chore.

After playing it for the first 3-4days I never went back. Another good idea on paper, but does not work in reality

I reckon if rockstar put their name to duke nukem forever it would be getting rave reviews. They seem to be untouchable.

I got this game when it came out, expecting a cool, unique experience as every critic was harping on about how no other game is like it, OMG face technology blah blah blah... ITS MONKEY ISLAND FOR DORA THE EXPLORER LEVEL IQ.

The fact that no matter what you do in the game you cannot fail, makes it as dull as dishwater, if you want to complete a sub-mission, it is always the other side of town, making them an absolute chore.

After playing it for the first 3-4days I never went back. Another good idea on paper, but does not work in reality

I think you're being a little harsh about it. Ok, I'll admit the game has serious flaws that should have been fixed before release, even if it meant another three months to wait. But whatever about the story being linear, you have to admit that the game does bring the technology used in games forward a giant leap, which can only be good for the industry as a whole.

As for not being able to fail, technically you can fail and have to repeat., but there are a fairly generous amount of checkpoints and a skip option, so I suppose I see your point.

And just a note about Rockstar being untouchable, if you listen to some of IGN's podcasts, some of the editors hate the game, and some of them say it's a good game with huge flaws(which imo is about right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Yeah gotta agree, once the novelty of the faces wore off, after about a day, what youre left with is nothing but a game that the modern day equivalent of one of those CD Rom adventures from the mid 90s.

You cant fail cases, interrogation is so stupid its unreal, even if you jsut randomly pressed buttons youd still eventually pass it, the on foot and driving is absolutely heinous, the 3rd person gameplay is bettered by even the blandest of 3rd person action games.
    The story is just...crap. Youre literally in the worlds dumbest cop station. "hurr durr all these murders must be a copycat even tho theyre all identical and we havent released any of the details to the press, derp".

The game is enjoyable for the first desk, then, youve sen literally everything the game has to offer and its all downhill from there. One of the most stupidly overhyped games ive ever played.

This is mental, Team Bondi and R*will not work together again. Bondi boss sends email to colleague but sends to the whole company instead.
    Every dog has its day and there's going to be hell to pay for this one. I'll never forget being treated like an absolute **** by these people [Rockstar].

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/310266/news/rockstar-and-team-bondi-relationship-badly-damaged-report/

On a side note, using Boards search for this game, LA Noire is being discussed on the Christianity board for being anti religous :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sheehy83 wrote: »
    This is mental, Team Bondi and R*will not work together again. Bondi boss sends email to colleague but sends to the whole company instead.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/310266/news/rockstar-and-team-bondi-relationship-badly-damaged-report/

On a side note, using Boards search for this game, LA Noire is being discussed on the Christianity board for being anti religous :pac:

haha crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Yeah gotta agree, once the novelty of the faces wore off, after about a day, what youre left with is nothing but a game that the modern day equivalent of one of those CD Rom adventures from the mid 90s.

You cant fail cases, interrogation is so stupid its unreal, even if you jsut randomly pressed buttons youd still eventually pass it, the on foot and driving is absolutely heinous, the 3rd person gameplay is bettered by even the blandest of 3rd person action games.
    The story is just...crap. Youre literally in the worlds dumbest cop station. "hurr durr all these murders must be a copycat even tho theyre all identical and we havent released any of the details to the press, derp".

The game is enjoyable for the first desk, then, youve sen literally everything the game has to offer and its all downhill from there. One of the most stupidly overhyped games ive ever played.

I couldn't agree more to be honest, I was looking forward to this and enjoyed the first desk without it blowing me away, unfortunately you soon start to see a pattern develop and realise it's the same thing over and over again. Not being able to fail or influence the story in any way has to be the worst decision ever, while Heavy Rain wasn't perfect this aspect of the game worked well and it really made you think about your actions and their consequences.

I'm currently about 2/3 of the way through this but haven't picked it up in about 3 weeks as it's mind numbingly boring to play, with the interrogations being particularly frustrating. Most of the time you have all the clues, know that they're lying, have 4 different clues proving it but you still get it wrong because you didn't pick the exact right one, it's rubbish. If I ever do finish it I'll just be doing it for the sake of it, I've never traded a game without finishing it but I'm pretty close with this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Traded this in today,delighted to be rid of it,biggest disapointment of the yr for me along side brink.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

People like that scare me tbh.

And yet i yet to see a black person gettong offended by the game even though it says 4 or 5 times the word negro , people need to grow up:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

And yet i yet to see a black person gettong offended by the game even though it says 4 or 5 times the word negro , people need to grow up:pac:

Negro is not an offensive word to anyone.

Well they'd be pretty stupid to get offended by it, seeing as it's portraying the racist attitudes of America at the time (and fairly well I might add).
    And Negro is the official legal term AFAIK so it's not really offensive anyway.

I'm scared to search the game now in case I come across the people saying it's anti-Christian....if you're offended, don't play the thing IMO.

Well they'd be pretty stupid to get offended by it, seeing as it's portraying the racist attitudes of America at the time (and fairly well I might add).
    And Negro is the official legal term AFAIK so it's not really offensive anyway.

I'm scared to search the game now in case I come across the people saying it's anti-Christian....if you're offended, don't play the thing IMO.

Maybe i didnt explain properly , i withdraw so what i said :pac::pac:

Someone also mentioned about ass creed 2 being anti-religous....NO SHIIT SHERLOCK!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Offended about something? Listen to this man...

Someone also mentioned about ass creed 2 being anti-religous....NO SHIIT SHERLOCK!
    Did breaking into the Vatican and killing Pope give it away? :v

• Advertisement

Requiescat in Pace :D

Advertisement