Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussions about sexism on the internet...

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I see women in the comic as standing up to sexism and calling it out but getting drowned out by a number of asshats.

Oh, I realise how you see it and I am telling you are wrong.

It feeds into the notion that men are all dumb and illogical and so that when you lose debates on sexism, you then have the excuse of oppression to fall back on

'Men are all illogical cry babies, who won't listen'.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you don't like it report it.

Why would I report it, it is not and should not be against any Charter.

See, I have the ability to be offended and not make a disproportionate song and dance about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Oh, I realise how you see it and I am telling you are wrong.

It feeds into the notion that men are all dumb and illogical and so that when you lose debates on sexism, you then have the excuse of oppression to fall back on

'Men are all illogical cry babies, who won't listen'.

LOL:pac: see grid nine(I think) of the cartoon if you don't get it

Orla K wrote: »
    LOL:pac: see grid nine(I think) of the cartoon if you don't get it

Eh, here you are .. you wanna explain to me what is NOT sexist about this and how precisiley it is not protraying men in debates on sexism as: 'illogical cry babies, who won't listen'.

sexismimage9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Eh, here you are .. you wanna explain to me what is NOT sexist about this and how precisiley it is not protraying men in debates on sexism as: 'illogical cry babies, who won't listen'.

Not that one the one where he's writing the blog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You mean the comic that portrayed women as downtrodden, talented, apologizing, oppressed, intelligent slaves ..

.. and that men were all just all sex mad, extremely illogical, homophobic, irrational, domineering, self centered, paranoid whining cry babies ..

.. was that the comic you were were talking about?

The comic is an exaggerated method of showing how SOME men can treat women online. It is trying in a light-hearted way to show how some women feel. Given the format used, it has to pack a punch in a short period. So it relies on cliché and stereotype. But just because it uses these methods, it does not mean that it does not contain truths. Surely you can admit as much?

I don't think that any rational woman would believe that all men treat all women like that. But it does happen. Same as some women talk about and treat men ridiculously. But that is a separate argument for a separate thread. Just because some women act like that, does not mean that the girls here do not have valid points in what they say.

Also, the idea that so many men (myself included) are putting their input into this thread does prove that the original comic had some truth in it. Plus I imagine that the same thoughts and opinions have been aired over and over and over throughout the thread. Before everybody comes to conclusion that we will not all agree and everybody leaves still thinking that they were right all along :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

WindSock wrote: »
    Yawn. Round and round the roundybout we go with pedantic post picking. Always seems to happen in these type of threads. I am interested to read opposition until it descends into this dull avoision of the original topic.

But in post #2235 YOU said 'they' instead of 'we'...

Meh.

Whatever happened to the debate forums? I don't know if it's utterly bizarre or tediously predictable that of all the subjects that engender lively discussion on the site actual structured, quantified debate never caught on as a concept. These threads need an umpire who can throw people out for baiting, ostrich-farming, topic avoision and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Whatever happened to the debate forums? I don't know if it's utterly bizarre or tediously predictable that of all the subjects that engender lively discussion on the site actual structured, quantified debate never caught on as a concept. These threads need an umpire who can throw people out for baiting, ostrich-farming, topic avoision and the like.

That would be the humanities forum your looking for.

I posted that comic to share it with the ladies lounge forum to see if it struck a chord with the female posters, if they has experienced or witnessed some men being asshats online in a similar way and to let them know other people both men and women do see this type of carry on happening by asshats.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Humanities just seems to the the same thing in a 'neutral' venue - 1000 page ping-pong rallies on abortion and the like.

I meant these tumbleweed gardens:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=369
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=365
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=366

Anyway, to sum up this, and all threads since the creation of the internet: Bored people meet online, find something to disagree on and adopt standpoints they support to some minor degree, behave obnoxiously while disregarding all notion of social decorum and discourse ethics, eventually realise they have no clue what they're trying to argue about, let the thread die down and go look up funny videos of koalas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

and go look up funny videos of koalas.

At least post a link :pac:

It is trying in a light-hearted way to show how some women feel.

Total nonsense.

First of all, when you portray men as illogical, homophobic imbeciles who can only think with their cocks, it is NOT "light hearted". Secondly, this cartoon was held up as what has happened on this thread and many other quite recent threads and that is ludicrous. Take today's thread in AH for example.

On this thread here, we have women who make outlandish claims that men saying "get your tits out" is the same as a woman saying "All men are rapists and child molesters".

It truly is laughable and then when these women can no longer defend their views, they turn to the victim-hood mentality that they were right all along but the 'oppressive self centered, illogical man bastard' just can't see logic and so --- "sigh" --- back they must go to the patriarchal world were they can pull the comfort blanket that is being the 'downtrodden female' once again, over themselves - rather that is, than even consider the possibilty that they might be WRONG - heaven forbid!
    Given the format used, it has to pack a punch in a short period.

So you have to base a cartoon on LIES to make a point because of the format??

Nah, there is poetic licence and then there is BULLSHIT!

There is far more going on in that cartoon that just exaggeration.
    .. it does not mean that it does not contain truths.

It doesn't mean that they can't contain truths no, but that particular one does not - it's a self serving piece of tripe to make women in sexism debates look like victims of men who can't / won't listen.
    But it does happen. Same as some women talk about and treat men ridiculously.

It is not held aloft as a one off, that cartoon was discussed as being the: "typical"!!!!!!

Sure look how women are claiming that the comic represents the AH thread.

It's a get out clause - lose a debate and instead of actually saying that men might have a point, just play the victim - the victim of the oppressive men who simply won't listen - it's a nonsense.
    Just because some women act like that, does not mean that the girls here do not have valid points in what they say.

I have and do accept that sexism effects women online, your comment makes no sense - go and address that point to someone who doesn't believe it to be the case and who never reports sexism against women online, addressing it to me just means that you haven't even read the thread.
    Also, the idea that so many men (myself included) are putting their input into this thread does prove that the original comic had some truth in it.

The only reason I am on this thread or in this forum is because that comic is a disgraceful, sexist, bigoted piece of feminist propaganda.

YOU may be here because you feel there is truth in it, I sir - am not.

Orla K wrote: »
    Not that one the one where he's writing the blog

Ah, sorry - think I found it now ;)

sexismtllah.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Across Boards, Pete, in AH in particular, women are commonly reduced to their gender. Woman starts a thread on innocuous topic followed by innuendo, sexual requests etc. That does not happen to male posters on any similar scale. And that grates sometimes.

Across Boards, Pete, in AH in particular, women are commonly reduced to their gender. Woman starts a thread on innocuous topic followed by innuendo, sexual requests etc. That does not happen to male posters on any similar scale. And that grates sometimes.

I have given my thoughts on this so many times and acknowledged that it happens and that I report it. You will see many users on this forum misrepresent me, please don't pay any attention. Judge me on what I say, not what others say, I have said:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68987233&postcount=307

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68988286&postcount=319

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I have given my thoughts on this so many times and acknowledged that it happens and that I report it. You will see many users on this forum misrepresent me, please don't pay any attention. Judge me on what I say, not what others say, I have said:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68988286&postcount=319

Sure, I accept that and I've agreed with and been amused by many of your posts elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Why are you so defensive about this?

Are you telling all the people who have this experience that 'no they dont have this experience?"

Cant you see you are not even TRYING to understand and no offense but kind of illustrating the point in living example.

Pete I am not going to get into a tit-for-tat argument with you over this. You are pulling out quotes from me (often quotes that are taken from the middle of complete sentences) and using them out-of-context. Pulling a few words from the middle of a sentence in a much longer paragraph is hardly representative of my complete comment. Using a dismissive tone towards me and anybody that disagrees with you is hardly helping your argument either.

My point was simple, a comic was used to highlight a legitimate problem. I said it contains truths, not that every single word and image was true. That is an important distinction. But you decided to completely misrepresent what I actually said. Comics are by their nature light hearted. The comic was light hearted because it uses funny drawings and exaggerated problems. But comics are often used to portray serious points (read something like Maus for example). I was hardly saying that abuse of men is light hearted. But just because they are exaggerated does not mean that there is not a reality behind the joke.

I do not for one second believe that the comic (or most of the women here) are saying that men are "illogical, homophobic imbeciles who can only think with their cocks". That is just you being a sensationalist and putting words and meanings into other peoples mouths. The exaggerated manifestation of a dumb-ass man portrayed in the comics may be like that, but that is not the same as saying that all real-life men are like that. The same way that any comic is an exaggerated version of real life. It displays an element of reality through outlandish methods.

Sure some said here that it was typical. But so what? That was probably just some people venting some frustration. I agree that some women can get unnecessarily insulting towards men, but as I said in my first post (which you conveniently decided to edit out in your quotes from me), this is not the thread for that discussion. Open up a thread on sexism by women if you feel like it. But this is about sexism towards women on the Internet.

It was light-hearted because it was just a way for the cartoonist/author to vent. Although I am sure you will again respond to this use of the phrase light hearted by claiming incorrectly that the women here are perpetuating a "disgraceful, sexist, bigoted piece of feminist propaganda".

But basically, it was written by a woman who happened to be annoyed and expressed herself creatively. People are allowed to vent and I am sure that threads like this can often be a way for women to vent about men. Same as similar threads exist about women in other areas on the site. Personally, I hate most types of "men are bastards/women are bítches" threads. What most people really mean is that they have been hurt or annoyed by somebody who happened to be of the opposite sex. But there is no real harm in them. I would only become worried if the women decided in the middle of the thread to take a hedge clipper to the testicles of all men in the world. Which I presume is unlikely to happen :D

Also it is ironic that you claim the women here cannot defend their views in the same post that you decide to counter my post by misrepresenting my post and the posts of dozens of women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

sexismtllah.jpg

you speak for all men then do you ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

*sigh* "and everyone is wrong and getting wronger" (what?!?!? 'wronger' is so too a word!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not too pushed about that cartoon but where did anyone say or even imply on this thread that men are illogical, all think with their penises, etc? :confused:

Dudess wrote: »
    I never would - that would be stooping to the same level as guys who say women are gold-diggers, all the insulting stuff about Irish women etc... because they've encountered some, even many.
    It's only a tiny few guys who push that stuff anyway - no way would I think they're representative of all guys.

sorry, but it has to be said

Or stooping to the same level as girls who say guys think all girls are gold diggers, all the insulting stuff about Irish guys etc.... because they've they encountered some, even many.
    It's only a tiny few girls who push that stuff anyways - no way would I think they're representative of all girls.

This is where I come back to my objection to specific 'womens rights' or 'mens rights' groups. By their very nature they, whether they mean to or not, facilitate and legitimise the non issues along with the real issues.

So why not just forget about feminism, racism, ageism, xenophobism(that's totally a word I think). Just focus on human rights and human advocacy . Who will complain about that? Who will pick holes in that? Who will pick sides in that?

The pigs and cows......fair enough. When they put forward an argument I will hear them out.

Wait......wait.......sh1t!!!!!!

Absolutely. That's why I wouldn't consider myself a feminist. To be sickened by e.g. the Taliban's treatment of women is not taking a feminist standpoint, it's a human rights issue that happens to concern women. And the Taliban treats many men abysmally too.
    At the same time though, feminism isn't always malevolant, and to use the word "feminist" as a derogatory term synonymous with man-hater and to brand a woman who takes issue with unpleasant statements made about women as the above just looks... stoopid.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. That's why I wouldn't consider myself a feminist. To be sickened by e.g. the Taliban's treatment of women is not taking a feminist standpoint, it's a human rights issue that happens to concern women. And the Taliban treats many men abysmally too.
    At the same time though, feminism isn't always malevolant, and to use the word "feminist" as a derogatory term synonymous with man-hater and to brand a woman who takes issue with unpleasant statements made about women as the above just looks... stoopid.

Almost....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

and to use the word "feminist" as a derogatory term synonymous with man-hater and to brand a woman who takes issue with unpleasant statements made about women as the above just looks... stoopid.

I have seen the USFI used as a derogatory term.

Certain sections of the USFI are extreme but the vast majority IMO, provide a valuable service in difficult times for men. Probably saved a good few men's lives just by having somebody to talk to. Having somebody to talk to means a lot when you are on your own!

Unfortunately some equate the USFI with the Fathers Rights brigade.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

catthinkin wrote: »
    you speak for all men then do you ? :rolleyes:

I hope you see the irony in that comment :p
    Are you telling all the people who have this experience that 'no they dont have this experience?"

No and if you read my posts you would know that.
    Pete I am not going to get into a tit-for-tat argument with you over this.

You replied to MY post and I replied to yours - if you want to call that "tit for tat" - suit yourself, I am just trying to debate the topic.
    You are pulling out quotes from me (often quotes that are taken from the middle of complete sentences) and using them out-of-context.

You are being pedantic - I did nothing of the sort, although it is a common tactic in these debates - when users points are shown to hold little weight, they start suggesting that because whole paragraphs are not quoted, they have been misquoted.
    Pulling a few words from the middle of a sentence in a much longer paragraph is hardly representative of my complete comment.

I find it truly bizarre, that someone who did not include ANY of my post in their reply (but yet went on to rubbish it) still has the audacity to complain because some of his was left out tongue.gif
    Also it is ironic that you claim the women here cannot defend their views in the same post that you decide to counter my post by misrepresenting my post and the posts of dozens of women.

I did NOT misrepresent your post, nor did I take a just few words from the middle of sentences ..

I quoted were FOUR FULL sentences and one was half as sentence, as that was your main point!!!
    My point was simple, a comic was used to highlight a legitimate problem. I said it contains truths, not that every single word and image was true. That is an important distinction. But you decided to completely misrepresent what I actually said.

No true at all :)

Yes, your point was simple, here was your point again .. and this time I shall include the WHOLE paragraph (not that it makes one iota of difference) but, just so you won't have the excuse of claiming to be taken out of context again.
    The comic is an exaggerated method of showing how SOME men can treat women online. It is trying in a light-hearted way to show how some women feel. Given the format used, it has to pack a punch in a short period. So it relies on cliché and stereotype. But just because it uses these methods, it does not mean that it does not contain truths. Surely you can admit as much?

The underlined part is what I used as THAT is your MAIN point and as you said yourself - your point was a "simple one" - that because the comic contains "truths" - it is somehow acceptable!

Now how exactly is viewing that line on it's own, taking you out of context precisely?!?!

Taking someone out of context means that you take a line from a paragraph and give it new meaning, something which I CLEARLY did not do!

Although, you are not the first user to try that one.

I shall repeat MY point again, perhaps this time - you can actually include it when, or - IF you reply:

The fact that it can be argued that it contains 'some' truth, is not good enough - there is some truth in almost all extremest bigoted rubbish. It is self serving sexist junk satire and it's purpose is to give those women who lose sexist debates and feel sorry for themselves, a get out clause.

When they have nothing of substance to add to the debate other than to sling insults and claim they are being ganged up on, that 'get out clause' - is the option of sitting back and sighing to each other and blaming "illogical" men who just WON'T listen to them and all because they are too busy thinking with their dicks and being self centered.

If you defend crap like that and suggest that it is acceptable and not sexist, just because it contains an element of truth, you are totally missing the point. If a user where to post a sexist comic based on the OPPOSITE side of the debate, would you be so quick to defend it I wonder.

Let's see shall we ..

Would the following comic be fine and justifiably if posted in the Gentleman's Club for instance, where men were discussing sexism online and how it affects them?

sexcom5003.png

sexcom5002.png

sexcom5001.png

Would you defend that comic?

Would that be fine, just because there is SOME truth in it?? Would that be okay, because once there was an argument where one woman made some nonsensical statement like the above, about periods and so it has a grain of truth to it? Would it also be okay because, the format of cartoons means that they really need to pack a punch and so this is the angle that needs to be taken?? Does "some truth" really excuse the clear sexism and polarization of the debate into one extremely misogynist comic as is the case with the above??
    I do not for one second believe that the comic (or most of the women here) are saying that men are "illogical, homophobic imbeciles who can only think with their cocks".

That is what the comic is suggesting, how can you not see that???

Women have said that the comic is "typical" of the sexist debates on
    Boards. The comic portrays men as "illogical, homophobic imbeciles who can only think with their cocks" and so if they are saying it is representative of those debates, then that is how they see those men.

If the men were NOT portrayed like that, then they would not find the comic to be reflective of those debates, so how the men are portrayed is central to it's relevance.

To suggest otherwise is absurd.
    That is just you being a sensationalist and putting words and meanings into other peoples mouths. The exaggerated manifestation of a dumb-ass man portrayed in the comics may be like that, but that is not the same as saying that all real-life men are like that. The same way that any comic is an exaggerated version of real life. It displays an element of reality through outlandish methods.

Tripe, sorry - but it is.

If there was a cartoon showing a woman to be a hysterical dumb blonde, screaming rape in a night-club, when a man just bumps into her - would that be fine and not at all sexist - all because it is contains an "exaggerated manifestation"??

You do realise that comics that have "exaggerated manifestations" can and are often extremely sexist, misogynistic, misandrist and racist? You say that they do not mean that "real men" are like that - do you think the comic is satirizing robots or something?

It is supposed to satirize men in those debates, that is the point of the comic and THAT is what makes is nonsense, sexist misandric nonsense at that.

That comic wouldnt offend me because Ive become so used to seeing that kind of thing. But I might point out in reference to the menstruation comment

http://jezebel.com/5498832/how-wall-streets-men-act-like-menstruating-women

and posit this theory that Wall Street Crash was due to hormonal fluctuations.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2009/08/24/was-the-financial-crisis-caused-by-hormones/tab/article/ and this http://nymag.com/news/businessfinance/64950/

That comic wouldnt offend me because Ive become so used to seeing that kind of thing.

You're missing my point.

If that comic was posted by a user on a thread about sexist debates and the guy said that the cartoon was "typical" of how how women act in those debates and all the men in the thread were in agreement with him - would you think that fine? Would you not think that extremely sexist - I know I would, as women don't always act like that and ask stupid questions, such as if their 'periods will be brought into the debate next'.

Whether you are used to sexist remarks about women online or not is ireelevant - I too am used to the nonsense opinions online that suggest men in those debates are "illogical" and only have a one track mind etc etc - but that does not make the comic in the OP any less sexist or any less "typical".

If it were posted in the gents club and a number of posters felt that way, I would not fall into the trap of selective abstraction and start projecting that they felt all women felt this way or did this. I know enough about cartoons and caricature to know how they function and to realise feelings are feelings.

Honestly, I dont see anything wrong with that comic. A lot of women do feel that way about things. So what?

If it were posted in the gents club and a number of posters felt that way, I would not fall into the trap of selective abstraction and start projecting that they felt all women felt this way or did this.

First of all, I did not say "all women" felt or do anything.

Secondly, I am not "projecting" anything - women ON THIS THREAD have endorsed that comic as being "typical" and I am just pointing out that portraying men in those debates as: sex mad, extremely illogical, homophobic, irrational, domineering, self centered, paranoid whining cry babies - is NOT typical.
    I know enough about cartoons and caricature to know how they function and to realise feelings are feelings.

As do I, but "feelings are feelings" excuses nothing.

There are many racist cartoons online; are they all fine?

If I make up a cartoon satirizing Nigerian taxi drivers, and it showed one Nigerian guy sitting in the front seat of his taxi, holding a map, a compass and eating a leg of chicken - as he sat parked beside the Spire, and a speech bubble showed him asking a passer by where O'Connell St was, would that not be racist because "feelings are feelings" and SOME people online "felt that way" about them?
    Honestly, I dont see anything wrong with that comic. A lot of women do feel that way about things. So what?

No bother so, if you're fine with that cartoon being held up as "typical" of women in those debates, which was the question I asked you - then that's cool with me but I am not and if a man did post that comic on Boards and claim it were typical of women is sexist debates - I would tell him he was wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OutlawPete you've well made your point at this stage. Let's dial it back. This is the ladies lounge and the OP was asking for the ladies take on this. I've no issue at all with guys jumping in, but at this stage it's drifting from a discussion from women's point of view. If you want to take the discussion further maybe open a new thread in humanities?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This comic was mentioned in The Observer yesterday by Eva Wiseman, some interesting comments were mentioned. It seems the comments here mirrored the comments made elsewhere about the comic. Also, that the comic was actually created by a man is particularly amusing given the reaction.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/nov/14/eva-wiseman-prince-william-kate-middleton-sexism
    COMIC STRIP TEASE

This week I read a very funny comic strip about sexism on the internet. "How every single discussion about sexism and women-type stuff on the internet (and real life) has ever happened and ever will happen, always, forever, until the earth finally falls into the sun (or until the patriarchy is dismantled)" it's called. As well as the thousands of women who live online and must deal with the revolting ferocity of sexist commenters, it reached the commenters themselves, who weren't, as one might have hoped, moved to change their ways, but instead commented on the comic itself. Typically, they called its creator, Gabby, a bitch, a dyke, a "feminazi" even though (whoopsie!) Gabby's a man. A man who, after closing comments, noted that what started as a comic had turned into a performance piece.

"Thank you for replicating and thus validating my own comic's meagre thesis to an exponent higher than anyone could have ever deliberately orchestrated," Gabby wrote. "If anyone was concerned as to the general health of sexism, misogyny and general denseness in our world today, hopefully this may stand as proof that that stuff is out there, doing its creepy, hateful, Jurassic dance of dumb."

• Advertisement

Ha ha - brilliant! :D

Advertisement