Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Typos are an occupational hazard but the complete mispelling of words

I see what you did th... ah feck it.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    So we shouldn't try to better ourselves in case we upset someone?

I have no problem with you trying to better yourself or anyone trying to better themselves. I don't like when someone decides that someone else should better themselves and I just don't like it when people are made to feel stupid so some eejit can feel all superior. Personally I think spelling/grammer nazis are pretentious, just saying :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dudess wrote: »
    Would those who correct errors on thread do so in a real-life social setting with a number of others present to witness it? They'd be absolutely shot down for condescending behaviour if they did so.

Yes I do, and no I haven't been shot down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

There is no excuse for poor spelling other than the laziness of the speller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

burner2009 wrote: »
    why do people on this always give out about my spelling
    does it really matter how its spelled once people can understand it and i get my message across im getting really ****ing sick of it

Well that's the problem pal, if it's not spelled or punctuated properly, then some people can have difficulty understanding you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Dudess wrote: »
    They'd be absolutely shot down for condescending behaviour if they did so.

Learnding is fun.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

orourkeda wrote: »

Yes there is. Im dyslexic.

Theres also the excuse that its no feckin big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yes I do, and no I haven't been shot down.

You're hanging around with the wrong people.

Dyslexia isn't an excuse.

If you were bothered you could look up correct spellings, or even use spell check.

You're just not bothered, even though you are being judged for it.

Haters gonna hate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm not sure that's true. I sometimes think that people just don't read enough for pleasure. I also think that common errors get 'absorbed' by a lot of people. If you start seeing "should of" everywhere and nobody has ever told you it's incorrect, you might not think it's wrong.
    Pookah wrote: »
    You're hanging around with the wrong people.

They're used to me being strange :p

• Advertisement

No offence but www.dictionary.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I can't spell and when I first came to boards I couldn't spell very well at all.
    8000 and something post later.
    My spelling has got better... :D... :cool:

Exactly, I had **** grammar untill I discovered internet forums.

I didn't like bing judged for something so 'small', which 'didn't matter'.

So I just improved my spelling and puntuation

Dyslexia isn't an excuse.

If you were bothered you could look up correct spellings, or even use spell check.

You're just not bothered, even though you are being judged for it.

Haters gonna hate.

youd only look up a word if youre not sure how to spell it. Im not sure how to spell the vast majority of words. Im not going to look up every one of them. Sometimes I look up a lot of them, sometimes i miss some out.

hardly laziness

(and I don't have spellcheck on IE in work)

No offence but www.dictionary.com

what? look up every word. Look, I don't expect you to understand what dyslexia actually is but maybe if you didn't dismiss us as lazy that would be really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Yes it does matter. In a text conversation spelling correctly and using proper grammar will make what you have to say far more understandable.

If you're getting sick of it try and improve your spelling and grammar and not rely on others to lower their standards for you.

Once its not text speak and is fairly understandable, then its ok.
    Most people here need to get off their high horses.
    Its easy to make a spelling mistake or a simple typo.

Some Boards users jump down people's throats too easy at times over small things.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's true. I sometimes think that people just don't read enough for pleasure. I also think that common errors get 'absorbed' by a lot of people. If you start seeing "should of" everywhere and nobody has ever told you it's incorrect, you might not think it's wrong.

This just illustrates the fact that either ignorance or laziness are major factors.

Failure to improve your efficiency in their primary means of oral and written communications will have significant long term consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Small things like your and you're don't bother me much in the grand scheme of things but a post like:
    is it only me who thinks these places that bye gold in dundalk are causeing a rise in robberys (sorry about the spelling).. i went in the other day to see how much my ring was wort and i seen a young fella in selling girls rings no questions asked no even asked for id
    is nothing short of shocking from an adult without a reasonable excuse. Do I undertand what he is saying? Yes I do but the image that post instantly conjures up in my mind is the picture of a tracksuit wearing dirty teenager, the kind that hangs around bus stops asking for €1 for the bus.

In regards to pulling someone up about poor spelling etc then I do if they're a mate and in return I like being corrected as well. Why would I settle with being wrong?

youd only look up a word if youre not sure how to spell it. Im not sure how to spell the vast majority of words. Im not going to look up every one of them. Sometimes I look up a lot of them, sometimes i miss some out.

hardly laziness

(and I don't have spellcheck on IE in work)

Sometimes you look them up, and sometimes you don't?
    Sounds like you're cutting corneres, which is another way of saying you're lazy.

Tell me, if you weren't sure how to spell a word, and then you looked it up, does that not mean you now know how to spell that word?
    Mission accomplished in my opinion.

Sometimes you look them up, and sometimes you don't?
    Sounds like you're cutting corneres, which is another way of saying you're lazy.

Tell me, if you weren't sure how to spell a word, and then you looked it up, does that not mean you now know how to spell that word?
    Mission accomplished in my opinion.

If you are unsure of how to spell a word you will look it up. If you think you know how to spell a word but you are incorrect you will not look up the word.

Its really quite simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Exactly, I had **** grammar untill I discovered internet forums.

I didn't like bing judged for something so 'small', which 'didn't matter'.

So I just improved my spelling and puntuation

Really? I think you should stay quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This is a subject close to my heart.....there is no excuse for laziness and a can't be bothered attitude.....on the other hand dyslexia is a real condition that can be mild (me) or it can be severe and it will affect your spelling.

However i do have a problem with people linking spelling with academic ability.

I did okay in my leaving cert and went to college despite having problems with spelling, as have lots of people.

If you are unsure of how to spell a word you will look it up. If you think you know how to spell a word but you are incorrect you will not look up the word.

Its really quite simple.

If that was the point you were trying to make in your last post, then I have to admit that I missed it completely.
    You failed to communicate it properly.

what? look up every word. Look, I don't expect you to understand what dyslexia actually is but maybe if you didn't dismiss us as lazy that would be really nice.

I don't understand it. Fair enough.

Every poor speller isn't dyslexic though. Those who don't have dyslexia or any other "disability", for want of a better term, are lazy.

Language is our primary form of communication be it written or oral.

Squiggle wrote: »
    Really? I think you should stay quiet.

There's a difference between a typo and not bothering to spell correctly.
    It happens to the best of us.
    Squiggle wrote:
    :D gmac crackig putt

I assume you meant 'cracking putt.' Right?

I don't understand it. Fair enough.

Every poor speller isn't dyslexic though. Those who don't have dyslexia or any other "disability", for want of a better term, are lazy.

Language is our primary form of communication be it written or oral.

Sure, there are different reasons for bad spelling. And there are different levels of bad spelling, but it is not always laziness but most of the time, convention.

There is also to consider the dynamic nature of spelling and language. English was standardized but standardization does not reflect how a language actually behaves. For example which one is correct

war or warre
    dog or dogge
    glib or glybbe

They're extreme examples but it does illustrate that spelling changes over time, it evolves and 'bad' spelling and grammar become acceptable with usage. 'I've' and 'd'ont' were not proper words when i was in school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ireland is supposed to have a good education system yet we have a massive amount of people who can't spell the most basic of words.

It's down to two things - the education system is not all it's cracked up to be or people are just simply lazy.

I'm going to go with the latter, and it bugs the hell out of me. Typos are an occupational hazard but the complete mispelling of words, as well as not knowing the the difference between 'to', 'two' and 'too' or 'loose' and 'lose' is bloody annoying.

Grammar Nazi and proud :D

:D Fun game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

There's a difference between a typo and not bothering to spell correctly.
    It happens to the best of us.

I assume you meant 'cracking putt.' Right?

The ultimate irony is people like you pulling people up over spelling mistakes and yet you make them yourself - but it's only a typo when you do it :rolleyes:. However I fully expected that irony to go above your head and you didn't disappoint.

Yes it does matter. In a text conversation spelling correctly and using proper grammar will make what you have to say far more understandable.

If you're getting sick of it try and improve your spelling and grammar and not rely on others to lower their standards for you.

To any student of grammar and good writing this post is pretty ironic. Obviously we should focus on the more glaring grammatical errors first but criticising a man's grammar and then having 3 conjunctions in one 24 word sentence is somewhat laughable.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    This is a subject close to my heart.....there is no excuse for laziness and a can't be bothered attitude.....on the other hand dyslexia is a real condition that can be mild (me) or it can be severe and it will affect your spelling.

However i do have a problem with people linking spelling with academic ability.

I did okay in my leaving cert and went to college despite having problems with spelling, as have lots of people.

Spelling on its own isn't a significant indicator of intelligence or academic ability. The ability to express and communicate effectively, especially in an academic environment, can impact upon performance.

It doesn't in every discipline I know but clarity counts.

Advertisement