Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

burner2009 wrote: »
    why do people on this always give out about my spelling
    does it really matter how its spelled once people can understand it and i get my message across im getting really ****ing sick of it

Is there a question in there somewhere ? <<= You know, something with one of those yokes at the end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm dyslexic and make a huge effort to ensure my posts are free of errors. I don't always succeed, but I have enough respect for other forum readers to try.

That, and I don't want to present myself as an uneducated or lazy fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

OP, on an internet forum, you have to think of your spelling, grammar and punctuation as your method of conversation. If in conversation, somebody mumbled, had a really thick accent or didn't stop to take a breath in between sentences, you'd likely get frustrated. It's the same thing here, unfortunately. If you want to communicate well, you have to make yourself as easily read as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Millicent wrote: »
    OP, on an internet forum, you have to think of your spelling, grammar and punctuation as your method of conversation. If in conversation, somebody mumbled, had a really thick accent or didn't stop to take a breath in between sentences, you'd likely get frustrated. It's the same thing here, unfortunately. If you want to communicate well, you have to make yourself as easily read as possible.

You are intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious. It's would be underlined in red by Spellchecker but I don't care because it's correct.
    Antidisestablishmentarianism. Just showing off now:D

• Advertisement

Seriously though OP, I had no problem reading your post, though the lack of punctuation grates a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Millicent wrote: »

I agree with this poster. Imagine not using full stops in spoken english, now leave out the commas.... now speed it up a bit..what do ya get??

This...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLd3-cfLlvU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Depends, if you've got a keyboard and you say "u" or "ur" or "2" then yes, I dislike you for sheer laziness. If you can't understand their, there, they're, again, I dislike you.
    If you mean actual spelling, as in the wrong order in words or whatnot, meh just try to learn, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Johro wrote: »
    Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious. It's would be underlined in red by Spellchecker but I don't care because it's correct.

I see your long word and raise you:

Floccinaucinihilipilification :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Ah, come on. Anyone can do that. Antidissent... Antidisemb... Antidistable...

(Some time later)

Antidistinctlyminty...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pointing out errors on thread - from a one-off like a "your" instead of a "you're" to a whole paragraph of errors - just looks really petty. Why not report it instead of belittling a person who writes an otherwise well intentioned post?

Not everyone has a strong grasp of grammar/punctuation/spelling (either because of not receiving a comprehensive enough grounding in it, or simply because it doesn't come easily to them) even when they try to improve it. A lack of capital letters and apostrophes doesn't render something incomprehensible - extreme textspeak does, and large chunks of text without any full stops/commas: also difficult to read as there is often (not always) a lack of pauses conveyed. But in the cases of the latter, it's up to the mods to point it out - and maybe the mods could do so by PM rather than on-thread. Some people might just not be bothered their arse making their posts readable, but others may have a genuine difficulty doing so, and it's unfair to humiliate them. It's a bit dismaying to read when they get defensive and even upset - some people don't seem to bear in mind too that there is a significant number of people with severe dyslexia. And pointing out mistakes on thread derails a thread and I don't understand why it doesn't incur a reprimand.

I saw a really unpleasant example recently (with a load of thanks) and was surprised nothing was said by a mod - it totally looked like online ganging-up. The person had written something which had mistakes but was perfectly understandable. When they asked for elaboration on the smart comment, they got no response of course.

Would those who correct errors on thread do so in a real-life social setting with a number of others present to witness it? They'd be absolutely shot down for condescending behaviour if they did so.

And yeah, there are always so many examples of Muphry's Law by people who nit-pick others' writing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I would say that you would not notice most people who actually suffer from dyslexia on this site because they take a lot more care with their spelling then someone who dose not suffer from it.

I know in every e-mail, post, letter, or report I write I will always have multiple spelling mistakes so I always check it over by copying and pasting it into word and running the spellchecker.

Generally this will highlight any mistakes I may have made and the only things that slip through are the occasional words that I have selected in spell-check which I thought were the correct spelling for what I wanted to say but turns out are the wrong word.

Unfortunately this happens surprisingly often.

I do think spelling, punctuation and to a lesser extent grammar are incredibly important on a text based bulletin board in order to successfully get your point across.

I also do think that people use mistakes in others spelling, punctuation and grammar as a way of belittling a poster not because they don’t understand what the person is trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Yes it does matter. In a text conversation spelling correctly and using proper grammar will make what you have to say far more understandable.

If you're getting sick of it try and improve your spelling and grammar and not rely on others to lower their standards for you.
    What utter bollox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Jev/N wrote: »

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. :cool:

No, I did not Google.

Yes, it's a real illness. Something to do with volcano dust, I don't know.

It may actually contain a typo, it's been years since I've seen the word.. I just happen to know how to spell it.

Jev/N wrote: »

Wow, I see that's an actual word..
    'The act or habit of describing or regarding something as worthless.'
    Nice. Now try saying it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Is it too much to ask for a decent standard of spelling and grammar?

This is an internet forum, not a Leaving Cert english exam. So I don't really care if someone makes a spelling error/grammar error in a post. Just as long as I can understand the point they are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I bet most people who posted in this thread checked their spelling and grammar several times before clicking the Submit Reply button. I'd also bet that several people checked that they were in fact using the correct grammar as they were unsure.

Crap. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is one word.

liah wrote: »

No, I did not Google.

It may actually contain a typo, it's been years since I've seen the word.. I just happen to know how to spell it.
    Yeah it's a lung disease. I did Google it. Fair play:pac: It said the longest word is a technical term, (the chemical name of titin), :D, which has 189,819 letters. I'm not going there.

Yeah it's a lung disease. I did Google it. Fair play:pac: It said the longest word is a technical term, (the chemical name of titin), :D, which has 189.819 letters. I'm not going there.

It has ".819 letters?" WTF?! LEARN TO FU*KING READ, YOU DAFT IDIOT! :mad:

IT IS "189,819"! DOESN'T ANYONE SPEAK ANY KIND OF BASIC ENGLISH?! :mad:

On a more serious note: the two sentences above were merely lighthearted and if I upset anyone, I'm very sorry. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

liah wrote: »

No, I did not Google.

Love it!!! You are the 2nd person I've ever known to actually know that word!! My dad taught it to me when I was a nipper, and I've never forgotten.

:)

People don't believe me when I tell them about that word. Oh, and I believe its a lung disease coal miners get from breathing in coal dust or something iirc.
    which has 189.819 letters

How do you get .819 of a letter:confused::confused:

;)

I personally do pay more attention to someone's post if they've at least bothered to punctuate it - even remotely correctly. Everyone makes mistakes, that's fine. But to constantly type like you're writing a message with some sort of letter count restriction is a bit silly, and lazy. (taking into account those with learning difficulties obviously, I'm merely talking about the people that couldn't be bothered).

It is annoying. At least to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Bad spelling and grammar annoy me but I don't point it out to people on the internet. I don't mind things like a comma in the wrong place too much but I don't understand how people don't realise that a new sentence should start with a capital letter. Another thing that annoys me is the fashion for joining random words together. 'Alot', 'afew' and 'atleast' aren't words.

I think you should care about your spelling and grammar. Not to please anyone on the internet but for your own benefit.

I'm just giving my opinion. Like I said I wouldn't usually point out anyones mistakes.

Dudess wrote: »
    Pointing out errors on thread - from a one-off like a "your" instead of a "you're" to a whole paragraph of errors - just looks really petty. Why not report it instead of belittling a person who writes an otherwise well intentioned post?

Not everyone has a strong grasp of grammar/punctuation/spelling (either because of not receiving a comprehensive enough grounding in it, or simply because it doesn't come easily to them) even when they try to improve it. A lack of capital letters and apostrophes doesn't render something incomprehensible - extreme textspeak does, and large chunks of text without any full stops/commas: also difficult to read as there is often (not always) a lack of pauses conveyed. But in the cases of the latter, it's up to the mods to point it out - and maybe the mods could do so by PM rather than on-thread. Some people might just not be bothered their arse making their posts readable, but others may have a genuine difficulty doing so, and it's unfair to humiliate them. It's a bit dismaying to read when they get defensive and even upset - some people don't seem to bear in mind too that there is a significant number of people with severe dyslexia. And pointing out mistakes on thread derails a thread and I don't understand why it doesn't incur a reprimand.

I saw a really unpleasant example recently (with a load of thanks) and was surprised nothing was said by a mod - it totally looked like online ganging-up. The person had written something which had mistakes but was perfectly understandable. When they asked for elaboration on the smart comment, they got no response of course.

Would those who correct errors on thread do so in a real-life social setting with a number of others present to witness it? They'd be absolutely shot down for condescending behaviour if they did so.

And yeah, there are always so many examples of Muphry's Law by people who nit-pick others' writing...
    That's all fine, it's just that no punctuation at all makes things harder to read. Hitting a full stop at the end of a sentence would do. That's not rocket science. It wouldn't bother me so much, but I can see how it can be annoying to a lot of people.

It has ".819 letters?" WTF?! LEARN TO FU*KING READ, YOU DAFT IDIOT! :mad:

IT IS "189,819"! DOESN'T ANYONE SPEAK ANY KIND OF BASIC ENGLISH?! :mad:

On a more serious note: the two sentences above were merely lighthearted and if I upset anyone, I'm very sorry. :)
    Reply #1: I just copied and pasted that bit so don't look at me.:D
    Reply # 2: Boohooohoohooohoooo...........:(
    Reply # 3: If you're going to swear, spell it right.:D

Reply #1: I just copied and pasted that bit so don't look at me.:D
    Reply # 2: Boohooohoohooohoooo...........:(
    Reply # 3: If you're going to swear, spell it right.:D

YOU RUINED IT! :D

I thought you'd notice there were more than two setences... Learn ya English!:p

I will now edit my typo. Though I could use the excuse that the error was numeric, not linguistic.:rolleyes:

Hey.. 'That would be a numerical matter'.

YOU RUINED IT! :D

I thought you'd notice there were more than two setences... Learn ya English!:p
    'Setences?' 'ya English'?:P

'Setences?' 'ya English'?:P

Ah so one does detect my mockery?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Dudess wrote: »

I see what you did there. ;)

Advertisement