Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

nuxxx wrote: »
    I just don't understand why it should bother you so much, I really don't.
    I guess that people don't understand why it bothers me. I don't even give a damn about typos or obvious laziness.
    I'm just strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've been banned so I'm jumping in this thread late, but I don't understand how anyone could be proud of their stupidity and not care that they spell like a monkey is just bashing the keyboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I see what you did there. ;)
    Muphry's Law is the name given to the phenomenon. :)

I am quite precise with my grammar/spelling/punctuation but it comes easily to me - it's something I always got on well at at school, and I'm not everyone else; just like I was sh1t at maths and there were people to whom it came easily.

Very extreme textspeak does bug me, and a big mass of text without any full stops and commas whatsoever is a headache to read, but while some people just couldn't be arsed (and that is annoying when they have the ability) others have a genuine difficulty and I think it's fairer to say nothing in case it's the latter you've pointed it out to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

To any student of grammar and good writing this post is pretty ironic. Obviously we should focus on the more glaring grammatical errors first but criticising a man's grammar and then having 3 conjunctions in one 24 word sentence is somewhat laughable.

Also, it really does say a lot when that post then goes on to get 'post of the day'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

OisinT wrote: »
    I've been banned so I'm jumping in this thread late, but I don't understand how anyone could be proud of their stupidity and not care that they spell like a monkey is just bashing the keyboard?

I can't imagine why you were banned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Johro wrote: »
    Supercalifragilistic Expialidocious. It's would be underlined in red by Spellchecker but I don't care because it's correct.
    Antidisestablishmentarianism. Just showing off now:D

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

burner2009 wrote: »
    i know i cant speel but im sick of people giving out about it for **** sake

speel ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Copycat. Too late. Already been posted by Liah iirc.

I can't imagine why you were banned
    I called someone a prick :D

What's banworthy about my post there? lol

I called someone a prick :D

What's banworthy about my post there? lol

Nothing at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I don't mind too much as long as it's not instant messenger text.

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I don't mind too much as long as it's not instant messenger text.
    When I was in university they actually had to say that on the first day. Don't hand in assignments in text speak. I was shocked that they would actually have to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Sometimes you look them up, and sometimes you don't?
    Sounds like you're cutting corneres, which is another way of saying you're lazy.

Tell me, if you weren't sure how to spell a word, and then you looked it up, does that not mean you now know how to spell that word?
    Mission accomplished in my opinion.
    Personally, I don't.
    But I'm not and expert and can only go on what I know.
    I know lots of 'dyslexic' people.
    One goes to a little extra effort to make sure her spellings etc.. are as correct as can be.

The rest just continue to mis-spell etc.. and shrug their shoulders while saying; 'I'm dyslexic'.

Oops! Are these spelling mistakes, or just typos?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Dudess wrote: »
    Muphry's Law is the name given to the phenomenon. :)

I am quite precise with my grammar/spelling/punctuation but it comes easily to me - it's something I always got on well at at school, and I'm not everyone else; just like I was sh1t at maths and there were people to whom it came easily.

Very extreme textspeak does bug me, and a big mass of text without any full stops and commas whatsoever is a headache to read, but while some people just couldn't be arsed (and that is annoying when they have the ability) others have a genuine difficulty and I think it's fairer to say nothing in case it's the latter you've pointed it out to.

I'm not familiar with "Muphry's Law" ... now "Murphy's Law" on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

The Rook wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with "Muphry's Law" ... now "Murphy's Law" on the other hand....

Muphry's law states that if making a post criticising someone's spelling or grammar, you will inevitably make an error yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Please tell me you're taking the piss. I know a few posters on here who are dyslexic and they are extremely intelligent people.

The attitude towards dyslexic people in this thread is disgusting. Laziness? Stupidity? Not recognising it as an actual disability?

Pure ignorance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Please tell me you're taking the piss. I know a few posters on here who are dyslexic and they are extremely intelligent people.

The attitude towards dyslexic people in this thread is disgusting. Laziness? Stupidity? Not recognising it as an actual disability?

Pure ignorance.

Are they just targeted at dyslexic people? OisinT didn't quote anyone and it was a general post, so I'm confused :confused:
    Dyslexics don't necessarily have bad spelling in posts, and people with bad spelling aren't necessarily dyslexic, not by a long shot. Bit unfair to confuse the two...

bluewolf wrote: »
    Are they just targeted at dyslexic people? OisinT didn't quote anyone and it was a general post, so I'm confused :confused:
    Dyslexics don't necessarily have bad spelling in posts, and people with bad spelling aren't necessarily dyslexic, not by a long shot. Bit unfair to confuse the two...

I'm talking about the posts that are targeted towards dyslexic people, such as senordingdong's.

OisinT's post said "anyone" so I presumed he included dyslexic people in those he accused of being "proud" of their stupidity and not caring about their spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, doesn't matter in the slightest.

Same as it doesn't matter if people drive on the left or the right hand side of the road;)

You see ,lazy fcukers, who don't give a fuck about contributing to anything,who know all their rights, but none of their responsibilities, usually use this argument.

What they tend to forget is that society judges them by the way they judge soicety.
    Some sloppy enough errors there - as tends to be the case with your posts pontificating about poor writing. And again, this is just pointing out the hypocrisy.

I'm talking about the posts that are targeted towards dyslexic people, such as senordingdong's.

OisinT's post said "anyone" so I presumed he included dyslexic people in those he accused of being "proud" of their stupidity and not caring about their spelling.

He didn't say dyslexic people, he said stupid people.
    That's a bit of a tenuous link to go off on a rant about dyslexic people, especially as many dyslexic people have excellent quality posts. Or perhaps you are implying that dyslexic people are stupid? ;)

I agree some posts regarding dyslexia have been in poor taste but Oisin's was certainly not one of them.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    He didn't say dyslexic people, he said stupid people.
    That's a bit of a tenuous link to go off on a rant about dyslexic people, especially as many dyslexic people have excellent quality posts. Or perhaps you are implying that dyslexic people are stupid? ;)

I agree some posts regarding dyslexia have been in poor taste but Oisin's was certainly not one of them.

This thread is about people with bad spelling. I took from his post that he was talking about "ANYONE" who couldn't spell very well, therefore not making an exception for people who had a genuine reason for not spelling well (not "stupidity" or laziness ;)).

Maybe I jumped on his post in a rash manner but I had just scanned through pages of ignorant posts and his was among the ones that annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Good spelling is not a reflection of intelligence in itself. I think your well spelt post demonstrates that.

Spelling is a reflection of the environment you've grown up in, the access you've had to formal education and how much you have read. None of those things are any measure of basic intelligence, they're indicative of your life chances.

Good verbal reasoning, having a wide vocabularly and the ability to use it to express insightful and complex ideas, is associated with intelligence but it's not about spelling well.

That said I think everyone should aim to spell as well as they can but I would not discount anyone as stupid just for a few wrong spellings.*

Which is correct

'colour' or 'color'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Which is correct

'colour' or 'color'
    We use British/Hiberno English, so "colour" is more appropriate.

"Color" is used in American English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I think people can be forgiven for being dyslexic for petes sake....;)

Pace2008 wrote: »
    We use British/Hiberno English, so "colour" is more appropriate.

"Color" is used in American English.

Right, but neither is incorrect. They are both appropriate based on usage and both appropriate because we can understand them.

My point is spelling changes over time and usage without being incorrect. If people always gave out about it we'd still be calling each other 'Thou churl'

Right, but neither is incorrect. They are both appropriate based on usage and both appropriate because we can understand them.

My point is spelling changes over time and usage without being incorrect. If people always gave out about it we'd still be calling each other 'Thou churl'

Right, but there is a difference between colour vs color and colour/color vs clr. I agree language and spelling change over time but I'm not sure that's a good reason to have "anything goes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Dudess wrote: »
    Some sloppy enough errors there - as tends to be the case with your posts pontificating about poor writing. And again, this is just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Apart from the comma after 'lazy fcukers, what were those honey?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

In fairness if you use color on this side of the pond you're likely to be pulled up on it. EDIT: although I do find myself using it alot accidentally due to spell checkers and the influence of the US in our media.

Also, to use the argument that 'words change over time therefore what does it matter' is a piss poor excuse. Am I rite or am I rite?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

My father and brother both have atrocious spelling, and my father's grammar is so horrible as to be grating to listen to. He STILL loves the word "seen" (as in "I seen" something) despite the fact it's always met with an exaggerated eye roll and sharp correction from whichever of us he's speaking to.

A boyfriend once commented that he appreciated my not correcting his spelling. I'm not sure I did him any favours though, because he was passed over at least twice for better jobs as he had such poor written communication skills. (I broke up with him for cheating, but am not sure how much longer I'd have been able to hold out on the spelling!)

An American woman I've never met beyond the internet annoys me so much that I'd love to send someone over to smack her in the head. I have composed many (unsent) tirades about her posts that I just needed to get out before I exploded. It's on a sewing-related forum, and her total confusion of nouns and verbs makes my blood pressure rise every time I see her name. The most egregious are statements like "I'm going to embroidery that dress". No, you are going to EMBROIDER it. I've come very close to sending her a dictionary with most of her offending words marked and a copy of the old 70's Schoolhouse Rock videos relating to nouns and verbs.

So, imperfect Grammar/spelling Nazi that I am, I try to keep my comments to myself as much as I can manage.

I am rather amused by "tink" for "think" and "taught/tought" for "thought", Dublin phonetic spelling at it's finest, LOL!

Advertisement