Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

If you want someone to read a post, it's a good idea to put in a little bit of effort. Spelling is not as important as structure, grammer* and punctuation. For example, there is an Irish modified car website that I frequent and honestly 90% of the posters there cannot string two words together in any coherent fashion with the result that I may as well be reading it in Sanskrit. Just because you can understand the sentence you just wrote doesn't mean anyone else can. The whole point of internet forums is communication after all.

* obligatory spelling mistake in post giving out about other peoples level of English :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ibarelycare Banned.

Back on topic please.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

That's a bit presumptuous of you, Shen.

Well, what would you advise?

Replying "Sorry, I've no idea what you just said because I can make neither heads nor tails of your spelling"?

Best to keep quiet, I find.... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ireland is supposed to have a good education system yet we have a massive amount of people who can't spell the most basic of words.

It's down to two thing - the education system is not all it's cracked up to be or people are just simply lazy.

I'm going to go with the latter, and it bugs the hell out of me. Typos are an occupational hazard but the complete mispelling of words, as well as not knowing the the difference between 'to', 'two' and 'too' or 'loose' and 'lose' is bloody annoying.

Grammar Nazi and proud :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ireland is supposed to have a good education system yet we have a massive amount of people who can't spell the most basic of words.

It's down to two thing - the education system is not all it's cracked up to be or people are just simply lazy.

I'm going to go with the latter, and it bugs the hell out of me. Typos are an occupational hazard but the complete mispelling of words, as well as not knowing the the difference between 'to', 'two' and 'too' or 'loose' and 'lose' is bloody annoying.

Grammar Nazi and proud :D

It bugs me too - I'm extremely anal about spelling and grammar - BUT I make allowances for the fact that there are people with dyslexia and learning difficulties who struggle with words. It's something that comes very naturally to some people and not so much with others.

Txt spk though...that's just pure annoying :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

People are lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Spell checker in Firefox for the win, don't think I could live without it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Spell checker in Firefox for the win, don't think I could live without it.

I stopped trusting spell checkers when I came across a restaurant menu offering pizza topped with aborigines....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Some people are just bad at spelling. They may be forgiven.

However people who use text speak, don't capitalise or make no attempt at punctuation are just plain lazy and deserve to be picked up on this.

OP you obviously have a very poor standard of spelling. It is possible that this could affect you in later life...CV's, job applications etc.

Why not attend some sort of adult education in spelling or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, what would you advise?

Replying "Sorry, I've no idea what you just said because I can make neither heads nor tails of your spelling"?

Best to keep quiet, I find.... ;)

My advice is not to assume that those posters never have anything worthwhile to say, because that's not true.

Although with some of them it is indeed difficult to tell, I'll give you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

You know the OP has clearly said this upsets him. I think people that are willing to upset someone just to be correct on a public forum are just pathetic. I mean personally as long as it's legible I really couldn't give a toss if it's spelt correctly or using correct grammer. We're aware of dyslexia etc but some forms of it aren't as clear cut as we would think. By jumping down the troats of bad spellers and making them feel like crap, are we not just guilty of bullying? Is someone's input not as valid as the next persons if they don't have good grammer/spelling skills? Is boards.ie not a forum of equals? Why should someone feel excluded or that they can't participate over something as silly as spelling and grammer. I like AH very much but I find it really off putting that people are so willing to gang up on someone and continue doing something that they've expressly said upsets them. Just saying :).

tl:dr: Why can't people stop being mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

SugarHigh wrote: »

People that don't make an effort with their posts in terms of literacy get on my nerves, there are plenty of tools at their disposal to correct the simplest of mistakes, we are all guilty of a typo or two but the way some posts are written smacks of laziness.

I make the effort to post in a way that is easily understood to fellow posters. Why should this guy be any different?

There are plenty of tools on the internet to help. It's in the nature of the forum to take the piss out of people. If he can't be bothered tidying up his post a bit, he is leaving himself open to it.

Do you want a blue peter badge with that?

Aren't most of the posts in this thread going against the Charter at this stage?

The irony is delicious.

curlzy wrote: »
    tl:dr: Why can't people stop being mean?

On grammar banter threads like this it's one thing, but there are some ugly examples elsewhere in AH.

I don't think most posters realise that gratuitous Grammar Nazism is against the charter. Reporting posts is clearly the way to stamp it out.

Reporting posts is clearly the way to stamp it out.

Or use spell checker and actually make some form of effort instead of crying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Sign up to the Grammar Nazi squad today, you too can rid the world of the filth that cannot spell correctly or produce a competent sentence even when most of the web browsers these days have built in spell check programs.

Together we can make our final solution* a reality! :pac:

*Final Solution is in no way related to Hitler's final solution and any resemblance here or in any further mentions of such are purely coincidental.

This post has been spell checked by Firefox Built in English Dictionary (American). :D

The irony is delicious.

Where's the irony? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

I find the ironing delicious that there's so many grammar Nazis on a site thats heading is "Now ye're talkin' ".That must really grind your gears every time you log on :D.

Where's the irony? :confused:

Backseat Modding is also against the forum charter. Since you're being so Pernickety.:p

• Advertisement

Or use spell checker and actually make some form of effort instead of crying about it.

I agree that spell checkers and some effort are useful tools in the fight against Grammar Nazism, but even then - ironically - they do not play by the rules.

I'm off for a ham and cheese panino.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

R0ot wrote: »
    Sign up to the Grammar Nazi squad today, you too can rid the world of the filth that cannot spell correctly or produce a competent sentence even when most of the web browsers these days have built in spell check programs.

Together we can make our final solution* a reality! :pac:

*Final Solution is in no way related to Hitlers final solution and any resemblance here or in any further mentions of such are purely coincidental.

This post has been spell checked by Firefox Built in English Dictionary (American). :D

Proper grammar nazis don't hold with those American dictionaries.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

curlzy wrote: »
    Is someone's input not as valid as the next persons if they don't have good grammer/spelling skills?

Unfortunately their input means very little if it's not written in a coherent manner. I think the OP should ignore grammar nazis who are just trying to get a rise, they're easy to spot. I'd echo other points on this thread though-it's very hard to read posts without punctuation. It's like trying to listen to a low talker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fepCL9of3Ls

Backseat Modding is also against the forum charter. Since you're being so Pernickety.:p

Not backseat modding...just asking a question!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Boards seems to have a few SS branch Grammar Nazis all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Proper grammar nazis don't hold with those American dictionaries.:P

*Please note objects in these posts may be less nazi like that they appear* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Do you want a blue peter badge with that?

My post was in response to this:
    Some posters in AH would make you lose faith in humanity. The best thing to do is use spell checker or get google chrome as someone highlighted.

From that post, I took the "Some posters in AH would make you lose faith in humanity" line as being directed at those who point out spelling mistakes. However, your last couple of posts convey the opposite. So, I must have taken it up wrong.

Keep the Blue Peter badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

There's no backseat modding going on, now watch who you're accusing!

now there's irony :P

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Keep the Blue Peter badge.

If you are handing out badges, I'll take his one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

mendusa wrote: »
    I find the ironing delicious that there's so many grammar Nazis on a site thats heading is "Now ye're talkin' ".That must really grind your gears every time you log on :D.

Why? The grammar's fine, the words are simply shortened with the correct use of the apostrophe.

Grammar Nazi seal of approval.

Advertisement