Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Keep the Blue Peter badge.

Steady on, Elvis - I've just had a look at their website, and if you have the card to go with it and are accompanied by a full paying adult, you get in free to the National Sea Life Centre in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

If you are handing out badges, I'll take his one.

Sorry to disappoint Micky, but I don't have any. However, this guy is giving them out in a roundabout Ronald McDonald customer service kind of way.
    Do you want a blue peter badge with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Here have one of these...

If I must, I'll take the slightly chubber one.

*Banjo music plays in the back ground*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

If I must, I'll take the slightly chubber one.

*Banjo music plays in the back ground*

No problem, can't have you running around the National Sea Life Centre in Bray without supervision I suppose.

• Advertisement

No problem, can't have you running around the National Sea Life Centre in Bray without supervision I suppose.

Especially with that Grammar Nazi seal jumping around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Sorry burner2009. As you’ve seen in other threads, people will pick up on mistakes and use them to amuse themselves.

Using neither capitals to start your sentences, nor full stops to end them will result in people thinking less of what you write. If the jumble of sentences is more than a dozen or so words in length, then the reader has to re-read frequently to guess the gist of what you’re saying.

If you’d remember just to capitalise the first letter and end sentences with a full stop in your posts it would decrease the amount of messers making fun of your contributions.

It’s annoying, but better to have anonymous strangers telling you to improve your writing than someone whose opinion you care about. Just consider the grammar Nazis to be your crash test dummies.
    The reason for you to work at it is that others consider the total lack of grammar to be comparable to walking around town in pyjamas. You can get away with it, but it leaves a bad impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

burner2009 wrote: »
    why do people on this always give out about my spelling
    does it really matter how its spelled once people can understand it and i get my message across im getting really ****ing sick of it

You're on 'the nets', open a ****ing online dictionary in a browser tab & use it. It's called upskilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

curlzy wrote: »
    You know the OP has clearly said this upsets him. I think people that are willing to upset someone just to be correct on a public forum are just pathetic. I mean personally as long as it's legible I really couldn't give a toss if it's spelt correctly or using correct grammer. We're aware of dyslexia etc but some forms of it aren't as clear cut as we would think. By jumping down the troats of bad spellers and making them feel like crap, are we not just guilty of bullying? Is someone's input not as valid as the next persons if they don't have good grammer/spelling skills? Is boards.ie not a forum of equals? Why should someone feel excluded or that they can't participate over something as silly as spelling and grammer. I like AH very much but I find it really off putting that people are so willing to gang up on someone and continue doing something that they've expressly said upsets them. Just saying :).

tl:dr: Why can't people stop being mean?

So we shouldn't try to better ourselves in case we upset someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

does it really matter how its spelled once people can understand it and i get my message across im getting really ****ing sick of it

most people on this forum are power trippers to the max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

In all fairness it doesn't take that much effort to construct a grammatically correct sentence. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    So we shouldn't try to better ourselves in case we upset someone?

How is pointing out someone elses spelling mistakes bettering you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I would consider myself a Grammar Nazi but I fail to see the point in correcting petty things like capital letters and full-stops.

The things that piss me off the most include the use of 'of' instead of 'have', 'quite' and 'quiet' and the confusion of they're/there/their.

Also, the lack of paragraphs in a long post or the use of '????' or "!!!!!11!!'.

Some of it matters as it makes for easier reading. Other issues, such as the 'of' thing I mentioned, are just pet peeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

mendusa wrote: »
    I find the ironing delicious that there's so many grammar Nazis on a site thats heading is "Now ye're talkin' ".That must really grind your gears every time you log on :D.

There are.

Whose.

I like this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

krudler wrote: »
    How is pointing out someone elses spelling mistakes bettering you?

I meant bettering ourselves as a people, by improving literacy levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Pookah wrote: »
    Outlaw Pete, one of the hardcore posters here, is dyslexic, and uses spell-check whenever he's posting. Perhaps you could try that.

I am yes and can't understand it when some people are criticized for txt speak and the like but I really don't like posts that have a go at someone for spelling and grammar errors.

I have posted this already here, but my biggest problem is when I spell words correctly but just choose the wrong words and so spellcheck can't really account for that.

Like, I will say something like:

"I scene that thread two".

If you check my really long posts, like the nonsense I post in Feedback, then you will see quite a bit of the above. I should really proof read more of posts to combat that but usually I am mentally exhausted with long posts, and so I just say 'feck it' and hit submit.

It's only when they replies come in quoting me, that I see the errors standing out like neon flashing signs and I'll facepalm myself :p

The fact of the matter is though, that the vast majority of grammar nazi'ism and spelling corrections are not done because a poster could not understand a post, they are done because that user wishes to appear to the forum as someone that is clever and in the hope that they will come across as being more intelligent that then poster who was grammatical incorrect.

If it is someone genuinely complaining and it is clear that the poster is just being lazy, then fair enough but that is rarely the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No, doesn't matter in the slightest.

Same as it doesn't matter if people drive on the left or the right hand side of the road;)

You see ,lazy fcukers, who don't give a fuck about contributing to anything,who know all their rights, but none of their responsibilities, usually use this argument.

What they tend to forget is that society judges them by the way they judge soicety.

Make no effort to conform and give the middle finger to accepted norms, then why be surprised when society gives the middle finger to you?

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi i will admit. English was about the only subject in school i was good at, and my mother is a poet/ writer and gets me to proof read everything, so sometimes i find it hard to turn off from correcting things.
    However if someone is dyslexic or something,i do try not to correct them. But if someone is writing sh1te that can't be understood or is just being plain lazy in what they're writing, i do sometimes point it out.

Pete,i only discovered a while back that you were actually dyslexic, so sorry if you thought i was picking on you. Wasn't intentional!

On a side note, why is dyslexic, a word meaning someone has trouble spelling, so bloody hard to spell!

alwaysadub wrote: »
    dyslexic, a word meaning someone has trouble spelling...

There'll be some correspondence on this.

There'll be some correspondence on this.

Why, what have i done? :o
    Never said i was perfect!

• Advertisement

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Why, what have i done? :o
    Never said i was perfect!

Nothing wrong, Dub - it's just that some dyslexics I used to work with always complained that dyslexia was about so much more than just spelling.

The pedantry on this thread has rubbed off on me...sorry!

Nothing wrong, Dub - it's just that some dyslexics I used to work with always complained that dyslexia was about so much more than just spelling.

The pedantry on this thread has rubbed off on me...sorry!

Oh yeah,i do know it's not just about spelling and mixing up certain words. It's just also a horrible word to try and spell-i'll admit i had to check how to spell it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Punctuation/Grammar -the difference between , “helping your Uncle Jack, off his horse.” and “helping your uncle jack off his horse”.

END THREAD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

it matters little on an internet forum but some ppl like it to matter a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

SugarHigh wrote: »
    There is one poster in particular that the only time I ever see post is when she is correcting grammar.

She's probably a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

ytareh wrote: »
    Punctuation/Grammar -the difference between , helping your Uncle Jack, off his horse. and helping your uncle jack off his horse.

END THREAD

Actually that first sentence is wrong. The comma doesn't belong there. The only way to differentiate the meaning of those two sentences is by capitalising the proper noun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

ytareh wrote: »
    Punctuation/Grammar -the difference between , “helping your Uncle Jack, off his horse.” and “helping your uncle jack off his horse”.

END THREAD

There was a better one earlier in the thread. One that made sense loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Actually that first sentence is wrong. The comma doesn't belong there. The only way to differentiate the meaning of those two sentences is by capitalising the proper noun.

I love it when a lady talks grammar to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

This thread is hilarious. So many people making mistakes while complaining about mistakes. Brilliant.

I never correct other people's spelling etc but some of the examples of it here can be very funny.

I used to be a complete grammar Nazi, but found it was ruining so many things. Life is so much more fun when you let the pet peeves and little errors slip by.

So OP, as far as I am concerned, as long as I understand what you say, I don't care how you say it.

Mind you, since I stopped being a Nazi, I have noticed that my own grammar and spelling have deteriorated a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

thats US english, therefor(e) incorrect! maybe it's ok when spelt that way but not off the tongue sounds wrong. but its nothing i've a bud who can't spell most words. awful handwriting, poor vocab, songwriter by trade. if the powers that be got hold of his musings his songbook n pen would be replaced with a rubber room n box of crayolas

don't you have the misspelling indicator thing in yer browser? you'll be fine. plenty in IT jobs can't spell nor write very well, so don't let it perturb you. nor us ;-

Advertisement