Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Squiggle wrote: »
    The ultimate irony is people like you pulling people up over spelling mistakes and yet you make them yourself - but it's only a typo when you do it :rolleyes:. However I fully expected that irony to go above your head and you didn't disappoint.
    I'm not sure I understand irony enough to get your point, but is the irony not also lost on you for making similar mistakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Sure, there are different reasons for bad spelling. And there are different levels of bad spelling, but it is not always laziness but most of the time, convention.

There is also to consider the dynamic nature of spelling and language. English was standardized but standardization does not reflect how a language actually behaves. For example which one is correct

war or warre
    dog or dogge
    glib or glybbe

They're extreme examples but it does illustrate that spelling changes over time, it evolves and 'bad' spelling and grammar become acceptable with usage. 'I've' and 'd'ont' were not proper words when i was in school

Language changes and develops over time. So does everything else. It's usually a gradual development though.

Poor grammar or spelling shouldn't be just accepted. Two wrongs don't make a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

To any student of grammar and good writing this post is pretty ironic. Obviously we should focus on the more glaring grammatical errors first but criticising a man's grammar and then having 3 conjunctions in one 24 word sentence is somewhat laughable.
    But the spelling is grand and the syntax is perfectly understandable.

There's a difference between asking people to put a little bit of thought into typing what they want others to read, and being a pedantic little git. Guess what category your post falls into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This is one issue on boards I don't understand, people quoting posts pointing out spelling mistakes. I mean WTF like? It doesn't happen on any other forum I use.

Do all the people who do it have teachers as parents or something? Its feckin sad and really irritating when ye do it. My spelling is holier than thou :)

Text speak is a different issue though and should be frowned upon:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Dyslexia isn't an excuse.

If you were bothered you could look up correct spellings, or even use spell check.

You're just not bothered, even though you are being judged for it.

Haters gonna hate.

Do you realise that a severe Dyslexic can't differentiate between correct spellings and incorrect spellings as the letters appear to be mixed up?....
    orourkeda wrote: »
    No offence but www.dictionary.com
    .....so telling a Dyslexic to look up words or use spell check pretty weak, as it would be of practically no use to them.

I don't understand it. Fair enough.

Every poor speller isn't dyslexic though. Those who don't have dyslexia or any other "disability", for want of a better term, are lazy.

Language is our primary form of communication be it written or oral.
    Why write "disability"? Do you not believe that Dyslexia is a very real and recognised disability?

Personally i don't mind spelling mistakes, everyone makes them, and the OP has admitted to them in his post and in previous posts. He's not making excuses, and he is improving. What i don't like is seeing others snipe at posters that have spelling mistakes, and be nasty about it. If you have the gall to ask someone to take the time to spell properly, at least put it to them nicely, "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I have a second hand Magic Spell for any one who needs it.

shinikins wrote: »
    Do you not believe that Dyslexia is a very real and recognised disability?
    Personally, I don't.
    But I'm not and expert and can only go on what I know.
    I know lots of 'dyslexic' people.
    One goes to a little extra effort to make sure her spellings etc.. are as correct as can be.

The rest just continue to mis-spell etc.. and shrug their shoulders while saying; 'I'm dyslexic'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yes I do, and no I haven't been shot down.
    Really? I'd never correct someone during an informal conversation, except perhaps if they come out with an absolute howler like "thrun," and even then it'd be in good nature. A minor grammatical faux pas like "seen" in place of "saw" would go unheeded.

The written word and spoken, colloquial English are two very different beasts, in my opinion.

Personally, I don't.
    One goes to a little extra effort to make sure her spellings etc.. are as correct as can be.

The rest just continue to mis-spell etc.. and shrug their shoulders while saying; 'I'm dyslexic'.

You have a sh1te attitude judging from the previous couple of posts

A friend of mine in college had to take exams in a different room cause he was dyslexic. It was so bad he was unable to read chunks of the exam paper and a tape was often used. He was one of the brightest people in the class...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

nuxxx wrote: »
    This is one issue on boards I don't understand, people quoting posts pointing out spelling mistakes. I mean WTF like? It doesn't happen on any other forum I use.

Do all the people who do it have teachers as parents or something? Its feckin sad and really irritating when ye do it. My spelling is holier than thou :)

Text speak is a different issue though and should be frowned upon:pac:

to build up the post/thanks count. as long as a post is legible and not in txt talk i dont see the problem, not all of us are blessed with perfect spelling.

• Advertisement

You have a sh1te attitude judging your the previous couple of posts

A friend of mine in college had to take exams in a different room cause he was dyslexic. It was so bad he was unable to read chunks of the exam paper and a tape was often used. He was one of the brightest people in the class...

Yeah I have a ****e attitude.
    **** it sure. Let's all just shrug our shoulders and perpetuate the problem.

irish-stew wrote: »
    to build up the post/thanks count. as long as a post is legible and not in txt talk i dont see the problem, not all of us are blessed with perfect spelling.

I got good spelling (imo) but I still don't see the need to correct other people over it, so so petty, it really just baffles me.

I got good spelling (imo) but I still don't see the need to correct other people over it, so so petty, it really just baffles me.

Why is it petty?
    Do you think a teacher correcting a student is petty?

Sure, it'd be easier to just to leave the children alone.
    They can't spell very well.
    But **** it, it'd be petty to correct them.

Yeah I have a ****e attitude.
    **** it sure. Let's all just shrug our shoulders and perpetuate the problem.

All I'm trying to say is that there are genuine cases of dyslexia out there.

Obviously there are others who never bothered to put the work in.

Why is it petty?

Its a internet forum. People quoting others for writing their instead of there is petty to me.

Teachers are paid to teach, quoting someone you don't even know behind a monitor pointing out slight mistakes for thanks whoring is entirely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I got good spelling

nnnnnnnnnnnnnngh......

nnnnnnnnnnnnnngh......

I hope you crank up some nice thanks for pointing out my slight mistake

I could do it to the majority of posts in this thread, but it doesn't bother me

Its a internet forum. People quoting others for writing their instead of there is petty to me.

Teachers are paid to teach, quoting someone you don't even know behind a monitor pointing out slight mistakes for thanks whoring is entirely different.

Ok, so unless you know the person or are getting paid for it, you should never try to correct anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I could do it to the majority of posts in this thread, but it doesn't bother me

It's only spelling, sure if you have one brain cell, it will pick up on the word it should be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I'm not sure I understand irony enough to get your point, but is the irony not also lost on you for making similar mistakes?

No. The only reason I pointed out your spelling mistakes was to highlight the hypocrisy of you pointing out the mistakes of other posters. Order than in the context I've just described there is no way I would pull people up on grammatical or spelling mistakes because I do it myself at times so it would be hypocritical .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

No. The only reason I pointed out your spelling mistakes was to highlight the hypocrisy of you pointing out the mistakes of other posters. Order than in the context I've just described there is no way I would pull people up on grammatical or spelling mistakes because I do it myself at times so it would be hypocritical .

Tut tut. *ducks*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So do I but I was only poking fun :)

Ok, so unless you know the person or are getting paid for it, you should never try to correct anything?

I just don't understand why it should bother you so much, I really don't.

Small tiny mistakes happen all the time, if someone wrote a post in complete caps/text speak/continuous lines well obviously it should be pointed out, but for the sake of there instead of their, I mean common:(

Its so insignificant. Now on the other hand if I saw someone robbing my car I would try to "correct" that by stopping him?? :confused:

But the spelling is grand and the syntax is perfectly understandable.

There's a difference between asking people to put a little bit of thought into typing what they want others to read, and being a pedantic little git. Guess what category your post falls into.

People in glass houses, no?

My post is actually in defence of loose grammar. Language isn't stunted or fixed. The moment it becomes so it dies and loses what makes it vibrant. Mistakes become copied and enter the popular lexicon, thus developing our language further.

I actually hear people use abbreviations like "lol" as words now. That's a beautiful shift in the English language. In essence my point is that people being anal about grammar are actually less helpful to the language than people who don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Dyslexia isn't an excuse.

If you were bothered you could look up correct spellings, or even use spell check.

You're just not bothered, even though you are being judged for it.

Haters gonna hate.

With dyslexia, you can read a word 50 times and it looks fine. On the 51st read, you spot the error. Your brain tells you the word is correct, even though it isn't, and you do actually know how to spell it. That's dyslexia.

Dictionaries only help when you know a word is spelt wrong and want to know how to spell it correctly.

I rely on spell checkers to let me know where there is potentially a mistake. And there are some techniques for reading words which help flag words I might have misspelled (even though they 'look' fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Have to wonder did the OP put this thread up for a laugh? I mean all the people saying "burn the bad spellers" are obviously keyboard warriers who, if they're the same in real life, have very few friends. I think this thread really shows up the judgemental f*cks for what they are; pathetic. I mean if grammer and spelling are the things you feel superior about, well then.... bless you and your little cotton socks. Just saying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Tut tut. *ducks*

QED.

curlzy wrote: »
    Have to wonder did the OP put this thread up for a laugh? I mean all the people saying "burn the bad spellers" are obviously keyboard warriers who, if they're the same in real life, have very few friends. I think this thread really shows up the judgemental f*cks for what they are; pathetic. I mean if grammer and spelling are the things you feel superior about, well then.... bless you and your little cotton socks. Just saying :D

Nail on head for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Personally, I don't.

Wow. Just wow. I agree with Nuxxx, you have a really bad attitude. have a read of this http://www.dyslexia.ie/dysexp.htm dyslexia explained. You might form a better opinion. From Wikipedia " Although dyslexia is not an intellectual disability, it is considered both a learning disability and a reading disability."
    Why is it petty?

Sure, it'd be easier to just to leave the children alone.
    They can't spell very well.
    But **** it, it'd be petty to correct them.

I fail to see your logic here, teachers are paid to teach, and part of the learning process is correction. You can't correct dyslexia out of someone who suffers it. Its like having blue eyes, they are yours for the rest of your life and you can't change them. So it is petty to correct someone else's spelling mistakes, especially when they have already apologised for them, and are obvioulsy trying to improve their spelling. All you are doing by "pointing out" their errors is making them feel even worse about their shortcomings while you feel superior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Language changes and develops over time. So does everything else. It's usually a gradual development though.

Poor grammar or spelling shouldn't be just accepted. Two wrongs don't make a right.

What are the two wrongs?

This isn't biological evolution. At some stage 'warre' became 'war' perhaps it was one 'error' or several small 'errors'. But which one is correct and why?

The pace of development is not important, surely if warre was once the correct spelling then any deviation for that is incorrect

Advertisement