Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options
  • 04-10-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

why do people on this always give out about my spelling
    does it really matter how its spelled once people can understand it and i get my message across im getting really ****ing sick of it
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

burner2009 wrote: »
    does it really matter how its spelled once people can understand it and i get my message across im getting really ****ing sick of it

*can't :pac:

Well probably because you get annoyed about it so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Come again?, having trouble understanding you.

Only joking :P I hate Grammar Nazi's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Yes it does matter. In a text conversation spelling correctly and using proper grammar will make what you have to say far more understandable.

If you're getting sick of it try and improve your spelling and grammar and not rely on others to lower their standards for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

No one gives out about the punctuation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

You did start off using txt-speak in earleir threads, which is annoying for most people, but you seem to be spelling alright now.

If someone picks up on the odd spelling mistake in future and goes on about it, don't let it get to you. It says more about them than it does about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭burner2009

i know i cant speel but im sick of people giving out about it for **** sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

No, is the answer to your question OP
    If people point out your spelling mistakes, it says a lot more about them than
    anything else.

...sorry Pookah..did not see your post there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smurph11

Yes it does matter. In a text conversation spelling correctly and using proper grammar will make what you have to say far more understandable.

If you're getting sick of it try and improve your spelling and grammar and not rely on others to lower their standards for you.

Try to improve your spelling and grammar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

There is one poster in particular that the only time I ever see post is when she is correcting grammar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I hate Grammar Nazi's too.

Why did you choose to insert that apostrophe there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The problem is that it reaches "can't understand it" very quickly.

Report it, it is against the charter, see here.

i always get bugged about little tings like if 1 or 2 letter are wrong you can still understand it so whats the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

As long as you make an effort and don't use "txt spk" I don't think anyone really cares. You'll find that 99% of the time grammar & spelling nazis make mistakes in their own posts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Outlaw Pete, one of the hardcore posters here, is dyslexic, and uses spell-check whenever he's posting. Perhaps you could try that.

And it wouldn't do any harm to use capital letters at the start of sentences and full stops at the end.

Sometimes you put one sentence after another without a full stop, with no capital letter at the start of the next sentence, and it can make for confusing reading, sometimes.

Why did you choose to insert that apostrophe there?

Good question. Would the fact that I was talking about a particular Grammar Nazi make it ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

i always get bugged

I agree that that's taking it too far and whoever's doing that should stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i always get bugged about little tings like if 1 or 2 letter are wrong you can still understand it so whats the problem

Imagine if you didn't know your g's from your m's:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Try using forums other than AH.

Also use capital letters at the start of sentences. You don't need to be able to spell well to do that. Just flex your little finger over to the left after every full stop and hit shift. It makes a big difference and creates an impression that your post is well writen. People are less likely to immediately get picky and start looking for poor spellings if the body of text at least visually looks like it's written with some adherance to the laws of grammar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Is it too much to ask for a decent standard of spelling and grammar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Because some people like to have a go at others. Keyboard warriors, they wouldnt say it to you in person of course, and theres plenty of them here

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Maybe the op has a learning disability? people need to calm the fcuk down, unless its written in unintelligible txt spk then a few missing apostrophes or capital letters aren't going to rape your eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Good question. Would the fact that I was talking about a particular Grammar Nazi make it ok?

If you are using Grammar Nazi as a proper name - that is the individual's user name - and "too" refers to the acronym for "Targets of Opportunity", which you are putting in lower case to be ironic, then yes, the possessive "s" in "Nazi's" is in keeping with Grammar Nazi principles.

krudler wrote: »
    Maybe the op has a learning disability? people need to calm the fcuk down, unless its written in unintelligible txt spk then a few missing apostrophes or capital letters aren't going to rape your eyes.

thanks this is what i mean every form i post i get this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

krudler wrote: »

To be honest I agree for the most part, I don't really care about spellings all that much as long as I can read something. Lack of capital letters does advertise "poor spellings within" in a post though. The OP would get away with more if he threw a few capital letters in and it's easy to do even if you have a learning difficulty.

If you are using Grammar Nazi as a proper name - that is the individual's user name - and "too" refers to the acronym for "Targets of Opportunity", which you are putting in lower case to be ironic, then yes, the possessive "s" in "Nazi's" is in keeping with Grammar Nazi principles.

I see what you've done there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

it's Spell not speel :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Just use google chrome. It corrects your spelling for you and prevents people like me from being annoyed at bad spellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just use Google chrome. It corrects your spelling for you and prevents people like me from being annoyed at bad spellers

Annoying isn't it? :pac:

Advertisement