Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

demakinz wrote: »
    I am very bad at spelling also but i do know how to use the spell check. Its not that difficult. I dont think the spelling of words makes much difference but when people dont use full stops and paragraph thats when people get annoyed.

Also using there, their and they're in the wrong place should not make much difference to how you read the post. Its not an English exam.

It's a sad day when correct spelling and grammar is met with "it's not an English exam".
    Not that they really correct either in an English exam as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

You know when you're in a shop, and you get overcharged? Why do you go and get your money back off them? It's not a maths exam for fuck's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

What really bugs me is when people jump down your throat when you put in there instead of their to be honest you know which one I was on about no need to point it out to me or the other posters and its so easy to read over your post and still miss it.

Where not still in school, why should my spelling be judged when I'm trying to express my opinion?

And to be fair if your writing a long post while in work I doubt it if I'd get anything done if i was re-reading it to make sure it matches the approval of some of the people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's a sad day when correct spelling and grammar is met with "it's not an English exam".
    Not that they really correct either in an English exam as far as I remember.

I was told when i was doing my LC English exam that i will definitely lose marks for my spelling mistakes. I could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    You know when you're in a shop, and you get overcharged? Why do you go and get your money back off them? It's not a maths exam for fuck's sake.
    <3<3
    Where not still in school, why should my spelling be judged when I'm trying to express my opinion?
    Why should we make any effort to understand a difficult post if its author isn't bothered making any effort to make it legible? Small errors like there/their are an irritant, but some posts on this site are the equivalent of someone coming up and slurring at you without any pauses. And doing that while randomly using the wrong word.
    I was told when i was doing my LC English exam that i will definitely lose marks for my spelling mistakes. I could be wrong though.

I think it's very few, donegalfella was giving out about it a while back.

• Advertisement

Why should we make any effort to understand a difficult post if its author isn't bothered making any effort to make it legible? Small errors like there/their are an irritant, but some posts on this site are the equivalent of someone coming up and slurring at you without any pauses. And doing that while randomly using the wrong word.

Well your making the effort to correct me on where i had gone wrong so you can clearly understand it.

Well your making the effort to correct me on where i had gone wrong so you can clearly understand it.

I don't think I have corrected you on anything :confused:

And believe it or not, but some people's posts are genuinely difficult to understand. Maybe you could make a guess, but wouldn't it just be easier for all concerned if they had written clearly in the first place?

I don't think I have corrected you on anything :confused:

And believe it or not, but some people's posts are genuinely difficult to understand. Maybe you could make a guess, but wouldn't it just be easier for all concerned if they had written clearly in the first place?

Ha ha, it was in reply to your 'we' comment.

I'm not saying there doesn't be! I know there have been a few posts I can barely understand myself!

I just meant that I find it nit picking when I have clearly mistakenly spelt something two e's one e etc, or the words there and their and someone goes out of their way to point it out, not only to me but the rest of the thread.

I see it done all the time on boards and I really think its unnecessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I am very bad at spelling also but i do know how to use the spell check. Its not that difficult. I dont think the spelling of words makes much difference but when people dont use full stops and paragraph thats when people get annoyed.

Also using there, their and they're in the wrong place should not make much difference to how you read the post. Its not an English exam.

But they do not mean the same thing. Not even close in fact. The sentence does not make sense when you use the wrong words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

We really have to remember that this is AH too. In an education thread that is going at the moment. I pointed out a spelling mistake as it was pretty ironic.

Another poster done it in a light hearted manner too and was met with a "ffs" reply.

I have brown hair. If I had a picture of myself in my avatar, and posted in AH "people with brown hair are stupid". I would not get annoyed with someone for pointing out that I have brown hair.

You really really have to remember that it is AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Another poster done it in a light hearted manner too and was met with a "ffs" reply.

Hello!

OisinT wrote: »
    But they do not mean the same thing. Not even close in fact. The sentence does not make sense when you use the wrong words.

But you would understand it right? For example 'I left it their', you would know what that means, correct?

But you would understand it right? For example 'I left it their', you would know what that means, correct?

Maybe they forgot to add an additional object to the end of the sentence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

By that logic the Rowntree randoms ad makes total sense in the English language.

Maybe they forgot to add an additional object to the end of the sentence :pac:

like 'i left it their car'?

like 'i left it their car'?

Maybe they want to write "I left it, their car!"! Who knows! :pac:

Nah but seriously - you'd be fairly sure of what they meant in that case. I wonder where the cut off point is?
    Not that I care so much about their/they're. It's annoying and you'd hope they don't write that way in any serious context, but it's not the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Maybe they want to write "I left it, their car!"! Who knows! :pac:.

We can do it your way, Sensibleken's way or just leave it their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Spelling test.

http://www.businesswriting.com/tests/commonmisspelled.html

Your quiz results Your score is: 11 points out of a possible 27
    That is 41 % -- Fail

Nah but seriously - you'd be fairly sure of what they meant in that case. I wonder where the cut off point is?
    Not that I care so much about their/they're. It's annoying and you'd hope they don't write that way in any serious context, but it's not the end of the world.

Totally agree with you here, I know I don't put as much effort into checking my spelling here as I would do when doing up a letter or something for work,
    I guess it just really bugs me when someone makes a small mistake and it gets corrected for them, once they apologies its then done with every post they make in the thread, when its more then legible what they are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    That's sound logic.

maybe we should take this outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Spelling test.

http://www.businesswriting.com/tests/commonmisspelled.html

Your quiz results Your score is: 11 points out of a possible 27
    That is 41 % -- Fail

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 15:46:21

[SIZE=+2]Your quiz results[/SIZE]
    Your score is: [SIZE=+2]18[/SIZE] points out of a possible [SIZE=+2]27[/SIZE]
    That is [SIZE=+2]67 %[/SIZE] -- [SIZE=+2]Fair[/SIZE]

CorrectWrongDon't KnowYour Score1890Value 100

got the american ones wrong.....:o

Advertisement