Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Is it too much to ask for a decent standard of spelling and grammar?
    Some people have a legitimate reason for not being good at spelling and spell-checkers are not perfect.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It's the internet, there is always people poking fun at/straight out insulting someone for something, spelling is just a more common one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wonder how many people have spell checked every post they have in this thread, just to make sure :pac:

Just use google chrome. It corrects your spelling for you and prevents people like me from being annoyed at bad spellers
    Spell-checkers will often cause a dyslexic to replace a badly spelled word with a correctly spelled word of completely different meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

smurph11 wrote: »
    Try to improve your spelling and grammar...

Thanks, I always make that mistake :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Grammar, the difference between:

"Let's eat, grandma!"

and

"Let's eat grandma!"

and helping your uncle Jack off a horse, or just plain helping your uncle jack off a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

burner2009 wrote: »
    thanks this is what i mean every form i post i get this

In a lot of cases, I think it's sheer laziness. We all make mistakes. I'd consider myself to be a pretty good speller but I definitely make mistakes- typos occur too. However, not spelling every word perfectly is one thing but why can't people read over what they've typed and check if it sounds right or not? If this wasn't the internet would you honestly speak like this? Say it out loud, it just sounds strange. There's no commas in your sentence so it just runs on which doesn't sound natural. If you were speaking, you wouldn't say "forms" for "forums" (though technically you should say fora but that's a different moment of pedanticism).

Is it really that hard just to double-check when you know it's an issue you have? I'm hopeless at filling out forms because I tend to skim-read and get confused by the little boxes :o but I take care to check back over what I'm doing just to make sure I've done it as well as I can. It only takes a moment. Maybe if you did take the opportunity to check back over your spelling and syntax, you'd catch your mistakes before making them and not have to worry so much about it? It's obviously something you're self-conscious about and you would probably find that your confidence around writing/typing would improve if you got to a stage where it was something that didn't attract criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

why do people on this always give out about my spelling
    does it really matter how its spelled once people can understand it and i get my message across im getting really ****ing sick of it

Nobody is expecting 100% accuracy. But even little things like capital letters and fullstops would be nice. You know where they go, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I think a text speak forum should be setup. That way, those who want to use that medium for communication can chat away to their hearts' content. The end result of which is that they'll spend so long decyphering each others' conversations, that they will learn to speak and type correctly. kthksbai!!xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Some posters in AH would make you lose faith in humanity. The best thing to do is use spell checker or get google chrome as someone highlighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So basically the OP gets píssed off when some members on boards point out their bad spelling or poor grammar, but doesn't make allowances for the fact their lack of punctuation, bad grammer and spelling annoys other people on boards.

Either take it on the chin OP, or try to improve yourself - why settle for bad spelling/grammar?

Also the "it says more about them than you" brigade are laughable, just because you have no issue with it doesn't mean it's not an issue.

Also, Firefox has dictionaries and can spellcheck too so Chrome isn't the only browser out there with that feature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭burner2009

I think a text speak forum should be setup. That way, those who want to use that medium for communication can chat away to their hearts' content. The end result of which is that they'll spend so long decyphering each others' conversations, that they will learn to speak and type correctly. kthksbai!!xx

i agree with this now everyone go **** off and leave me alone :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Thanks. This is what I mean. Every forum I post in, I get this.

Fixed for you. 12 mistakes in 13 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Also the "it says more about them than you" brigade are laughable, just because you have no issue with it doesn't mean it's not an issue.

Yes, but some people just point it out to be mean.

Some posters in AH would make you lose faith in humanity. The best thing to do is use spell checker or get google chrome as someone highlighted.
    Bad spelling makes you lose faith in humanity?
    Einstein suffered from dyslexia. He is a clear example of a person who would be labeled as learning disabled in today's educational system. With the right approach to education, these labels cannot prevent great accomplishments, as proven by Einstein and others.
    http://www.einsteinmontessori.com/ems.php?category=about_albert_einstein

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Typos and incorrect grammar I can live with but having the spelling ability of a toddler without a medical excuse (or being a non native English speaker) is shameful imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I make the effort to post in a way that is easily understood to fellow posters. Why should this guy be any different?

There are plenty of tools on the internet to help. It's in the nature of the forum to take the piss out of people. If he can't be bothered tidying up his post a bit, he is leaving himself open to it.

Yes, but some people just point it out to be mean.

I don't think I've ever come across posts, apart from in bad grammar/spelling threads where somebody pointed out a mistake just to be an asshole. Maybe it's the forums I frequent or the threads I read :confused:

I do agree that if you're doing it not to help out the poster but to be mean then you need a bit of cop on ;)

There's plenty of tools on the internet

*chuckles quietly to himself*

i agree with this now everyone go **** off and leave me alone :mad:

You come on here complaining about people being mean to you but then you are mean to the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The Einstein dyslexia thing has not been proven.

You come on here complaining about people being mean to you but then your are mean to the people.

Must. Resist. :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

*chuckles quietly to himself*

That was quick ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I agree with the point SugarHigh's making, but Einstein was not dyslexic according to many scholars.

That was quick ! :)

That's what my girlfriend says :(

Must. Resist. :D:p

ah come on, it was followed by an are so it obviously was a typo as opposed to an error in grammar. :P meany

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't correct people, mostly because English isn't my first language, so who am I to tell them off?

On the other hand, bad spelling makes posts utterly unreadable for me.
    So I ignore those posts, assuming they didn't have anything worthwhile to say, otherwise they would have taken the trouble to communicate it in a legible way.

ah come on, it was followed by an are so it obviously was a typo as opposed to an error in grammar. :P meany

I know, I know :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Shenshen wrote: »
    So I ignore those posts, assuming they didn't have anything worthwhile to say, otherwise they would have taken the trouble to communicate it in a legible way.

That's a bit presumptuous of you, Shen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Aren't most of the posts in this thread going against the Charter at this stage? :pac:

Advertisement