Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Quick Tip for all users:

When you have finished writing your post, read over it for mistakes and then correct any spelling or grammer errors.

Yes, this may take longer for you to post but you know that you have made a good quality post that has correct spelling, punctuation, grammer etc!
    FFS it's not like we're writing on parchment. What browser are people using that there isn't a red underline on misspelled words? lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I don't mind if someone corrects me when it comes to a spelling or to grammar. I know I sometimes make mistakes with grammar, but I don't mind if someone wants to correct me.
    Better to learn than to be kept in ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

OisinT wrote: »
    FFS it's not like we're writing on parchment. What browser are people using that there isn't a red underline on misspelled words? lol :D

Mine. ieSpell is a spell checker plugin for IE which needs to be specifically installed, and not always is or can be with certain firewall settings. Besides no spell checker will pick up the difference between Their and there, a lot and allot etc.

So lets not all jump to the conclusion people are stupid or lazy for having spelling of gramatical mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mine. ieSpell is a spell checker plugin for IE which needs to be specifically installed, and not always is or can be with certain firewall settings. Besides no spell checker will pick up the difference between Their and there, a lot and allot etc.

So lets not all jump to the conclusion people are stupid or lazy for having spelling of gramatical mistakes
    I am actually in such shock that ANYONE uses IE still that I cannot respond to your post adequately. Really? Actually using Internet Explorer? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I am actually in such shock that ANYONE uses IE still that I cannot respond to your post adequately. Really? Actually using Internet Explorer? :eek:

Can't install anything else at work :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Yes but I was wrong.
    Dyslexia is a real disability and not some bull**** term coined by pshyciatrists to sugar coat laziness.

I was wrong and now I know what's right.
    All thanks to you correcting me over the internet.

See how correction improves us all?

Ah, I see what you've done there. Clever :D
    Fair enough if you have dyslexia, then you have a reason for it.

You're not seriously trying to tell me that there is no difference between dyslexia and stupidity?

I doubt that anyone who is dyslexic is "proud" of not being able to spell. It's the people who are not dyslexic that don't give a flying shít about whether they spell/speak properly that really get on my nerves.

Can i ask, OisinT how you differentiate between dyslexics and a person who's just too lazy to correct themselves? There's no flashing badge under their username, so how can you tell which person you need to correct for bad spelling, and a genuine dyslexic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Here it is, I CAN'T SPELL, am i proud NO, am i stupid NO (im not the one with a masters degree throwing water on a chip pan fire (its been done)) Sorry but my grammar is **** too.

Why, because i was taken out of at school at 11, I was half way through 5th class.

At 21 i did 6 fetac courses and passed at 22 I did the LCA and got a score of 196 out of 200 pass with distinction. But the fact remains that i'm rubbish at spellings and **** at grammar. I have never been tested for dyslexia and never will be (just did spell check , I cant believe i spelt dyslexia right).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good spelling is not a reflection of intelligence in itself. I think your well spelt post demonstrates that.
    Play nice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Someone a while back posted up two versions of a letter - same wording in both but different punctuation. The different punctuation completely changed the meaning of it. Anyone have any idea? :confused: I tried finding it on google.

Here it is, I CAN'T SPELL, am i proud NO, am i stupid NO (im not the one with a masters degree throwing water on a chip pan fire (its been done)) Sorry but my grammar is **** too.

Why, because i was taken out of at school at 11, I was half way through 5th class.
    You seem fine to me :)
    Being bad at spelling (or anything else) doesn't have to remain a permanent state anyway, if you like to read the paper/books/etc it would improve.

bluewolf wrote: »

Being bad at spelling (or anything else) doesn't have to remain a permanent state anyway, if you like to read the paper/books/etc it would improve.

I've read 36 books so far this year, and I havent really picked up anything from it.
    I must admit my spelling is getting better from typing on boards, people on boards love correcting others and making others look stupid, so i use spell check a lot. I think that is why my spellings are improving.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
    waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the
    frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses
    and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid
    deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

At 21 i did 6 fetac courses and passed at 22 I did the LCA and got a score of 196 out of 200 pass with distinction. But the fact remains that i'm rubbish at spellings and **** at grammar. I have never been tested for dyslexia and never will be (just did spell check , I cant believe i spelt dyslexia right).

You're making an effort though grindelwald. If you had come in and posted something here and not mentioned the difficulty you have with spelling, I for one wouldn't have noticed. Because you've gone to the effort of running a spell check and spacing it all out in a readable way.

That's all I expect. A small bit of effort to make it readable. I don't care if words are spelled wrong. I just find it extremely difficult to read a bunch of text with no punctuation / paragraphs / txt spk etc. etc.

I make a bit of an effort so I'd like fellow posters to do the same! That's all. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

shinikins wrote: »
    Can i ask, OisinT how you differentiate between dyslexics and a person who's just too lazy to correct themselves? There's no flashing badge under their username, so how can you tell which person you need to correct for bad spelling, and a genuine dyslexic?
    They know who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Capitalising the start of your sentences and using full stops makes it easier for people to read your posts. It's common courtesy. Writing on a forum in text speak is bad manners because you're expecting the reader to make extra effort to compensate for your lack of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Dunjohn wrote: »
    They know who they are.

That's true, but why should someone who has dyslexia have to announce it? My point is, a poster shouldn't be jumped upon for simple mistakes in spelling, and have their grammer corrected publicly. Its rude, petty and potentially very embarrasing for someone who is aware of, and sensitive about their spelling.

Those who use txt spk however i think should be hauled over the coals, there really is no excuse for writing gibberish that takes forever to decipher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Someone a while back posted up two versions of a letter - same wording in both but different punctuation. The different punctuation completely changed the meaning of it. Anyone have any idea? :confused:

Works on contingency - no money down!

Works on contingency? No, money down!

lionelhutz.jpg

I've read 36 books so far this year, and I havent really picked up anything from it.

It doesn't really need to be conscious, I think you just absorb a lot from constantly reading correct usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Min wrote: »
    I don't mind if someone corrects me when it comes to a spelling or to grammar. I know I sometimes make mistakes with grammar, but I don't mind if someone wants to correct me.
    Better to learn than to be kept in ignorance.

I don't mind if it's a really bad example of poor spelling or if the grammer makes part of my post difficult to read, in this case been corrected is perfectly acceptable. But it would really piss me off if it was something trivial like using there instead of their or a slight misspelling of a big word. I think anybody who picks someone up on something trivial is a childish loser with no life.

People should have a basic grasp of spelling and grammer but to be honest as long as you actually use the likes of words spellcheck etc their isn't any need for anybody to improve their spelling and grammer

That's true, but why should someone who has dyslexia have to announce it? My point is, a poster shouldn't be jumped upon for simple mistakes in spelling, and have their grammer corrected publicly. Its rude, petty and potentially very embarrasing for someone who is aware of, and sensitive about their spelling.

I never said they had to announce it, but the number of people with dyslexia is easily dwarfed by the number of people who just couldn't be arsed doing it right (or learning how if they don't know.) My point is, the latter group shouldn't be complaining. They should be trying harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Ah, I see what you've done there. Clever :D
    Lol.
    Spent ages trying to think of a way to say it without sounding bent.

But I couldn't think of a way so I just said it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

One of my friends is very particular about spelling. Calls himself an "english nerd". I can't spell perfectly, but i have more friends than him.

By this logic...

Good spelling = less friends
    Less friends = more time on the internet
    more time on the internet = less and less interesting things to see
    less and less interesting things to see = boards.ie

so, if you want people to not give a damn about your spelling, stop using boards and go out to the real world and meet some nice people. Thats what i did, but i still sign on just to read threads and posts to remind myself that im better than most people on this site. then i get banned for a week so i have more time to make new friends.

• Advertisement

It doesn't really need to be conscious, I think you just absorb a lot from constantly reading correct usage.

I still don't think that reading at least 1 book every week (for the last 5 years)has done me any good, spell check is like my dictionary and i learn from that. I remember from my days at school - never start a sentence with 'and' yet i have read a few books that have had 'and' at the start of the sentence. I'm an avid book reader sometimes 4 books in less than 1 week, once i read over 2000 pages in 4 days. So i don't think that reading has improved my spellings. My grammar has always been the same, never improved on that, how i write now is how i wrote years ago, spell check cant help me with that, maybe reading and consciously looking at the grammar might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I I remember my days from school - never start a sentence with 'and' yet i have read a few books that have had 'and' at the start of the sentence.
    It's not really frowned upon in contemporary English, nor is ending a sentence with a preposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

IE6.

College computer.

I don't have a spellchecker, and I'm on Firefox. Can't seem to find one. Anybody know where it is? If it's something I need to install, feck it, I'll manage without.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

burner2009 wrote: »
    why do people on this always give out about my spelling
    does it really matter how its spelled once people can understand it and i get my message across im getting really ****ing sick of it

don't mind them, burner2009. if they get kicks out of slagging your posting attire, they clearly got nothing on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I don't have a spellchecker, and I'm on Firefox. Can't seem to find one. Anybody know where it is? If it's something I need to install, feck it, I'll manage without.

google chrome does it for you and its a really good browser

Edit; doesn't help with grammar though or punctuation

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

IE6.

College computer.

I'm sorry for your loss :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

This comes from another AH thread. A perfect example that shows spelling is most certainly not always the problem that people have with posts. There are a few "ing" and apostrophes missing, but that isn't what stands out as the main error.
    Emoran wrote: »
    Went on a week trip to wexford with my mate one summer an stayed with his mam in a mobile park site, nice relaxing week with a night or two planned out in the club down in gorey. . . things went well anyway and at the end of the night i was fairly hammered, i found a girl an straight away she asked me to go home with her, spent the whole taxi ride kissing her while my mate went back to some other girls house, gave him a quick call said what should i do since im supposed to be staying in yours he said dont worry we'll sort somethin out later, anyway go back to yer ones house do the buisness BUT its gettin early/late whatever an i get a call from my mate sayin his ma is up an she's wonderin where we are its around the 5am mark but i didnt even know where i was my battery was goin dead so i said id meet him back at the mobile park site, turns out i ended up 14 kilometers away an without a phone to call for a lift/taxi i walked the whole way a whole 6 hour walk in the pouring rain like monsoon rain without an taxi driving by or a person who would answer my hitchhiking calls !! the whole time i wondered was it worth it, definitely not considering i knew i had made my best friends mam seriously worried/scared.angered by my idiotic actions . . . :( i made it home about 11 o'clock to a screaming woman who had respect for me an i got along with, later that day we were on the next train home and i havent seen his mother since but to be honesy im glad i havent, oh by the way turns out the girl i done it with was a serious whale but i was too intoxicated to notice, pictures the next day were not easy on the eyes. worst walk of shame EVER :( i gotta admit tho looking back at it, it was possibly the funniest thing ever my mate never lives it down :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

don't mind them, burner2009. if they get kicks out of slagging your posting attire, they clearly got nothing on you.

That's sound logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I am very bad at spelling also but i do know how to use the spell check. Its not that difficult. I dont think the spelling of words makes much difference but when people dont use full stops and paragraph thats when people get annoyed.

Also using there, their and they're in the wrong place should not make much difference to how you read the post. Its not an English exam.

Advertisement