Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow i cant spell and so what

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Apart from the comma after 'lazy fcukers, what were those honey?
    There was one typo and some questionable overuse of paragraphs.

My world continued to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

time42play wrote: »
    My father and brother both have atrocious spelling, and my father's grammar is so horrible as to be grating to listen to. He STILL loves the word "seen" (as in "I seen" something) despite the fact it's always met with an exaggerated eye roll and sharp correction from whichever of us he's speaking to.

A boyfriend once commented that he appreciated my not correcting his spelling. I'm not sure I did him any favours though, because he was passed over at least twice for better jobs as he had such poor written communication skills. (I broke up with him for cheating, but am not sure how much longer I'd have been able to hold out on the spelling!)

An American woman I've never met beyond the internet annoys me so much that I'd love to send someone over to smack her in the head. I have composed many (unsent) tirades about her posts that I just needed to get out before I exploded. It's on a sewing-related forum, and her total confusion of nouns and verbs makes my blood pressure rise every time I see her name. The most egregious are statements like "I'm going to embroidery that dress". No, you uneducated moron, you are going to EMBROIDER it. I've come very close to sending her a dictionary with most of her offending words marked and a copy of the old 70's Schoolhouse Rock videos relating to nouns and verbs.

So, imperfect Grammar/spelling Nazi that I am, I try to keep my comments to myself as much as I can manage.

I am rather amused by "tink" for "think" and "taught/tought" for "thought", Dublin phonetic spelling at it's finest, LOL!

Wow, judgey much?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

curlzy wrote: »
    Wow, judgey much?:rolleyes:

Yes, but quietly and (other than family) only in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

bluewolf wrote: »
    Right, but there is a difference between colour vs color and colour/color vs clr. I agree language and spelling change over time but I'm not sure that's a good reason to have "anything goes".

The difference is just usage.

For example i was corrected a while ago for using allot instead of a lot. Never noticed i was doing it, or what the difference was. But, one person and one person alone had a real problem with me using it. Everyone else can understand and i see it repeated so often its becoming almost standard.

Some people want to reverse the usage because they say its 'incorrect'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

For example i was corrected a while ago for using allot instead of a lot.

I'm continually guilty of 'alot'. It's one word that continually sneaks in.

• Advertisement

In fairness if you use color on this side of the pond you're likely to be pulled up on it. EDIT: although I do find myself using it alot accidentally due to spell checkers and the influence of the US in our media.

Also, to use the argument that 'words change over time therefore what does it matter' is a piss poor excuse. Am I rite or am I rite?

Why is it piss poor? Do you still spell afterward aftirward or glib as glybbee.

You have also used alot rather than a lot. Showing how the conventions of spelling are already affecting even yourself. Hardly a piss poor excuse but rather just a variation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The difference is just usage.

For example i was corrected a while ago for using allot instead of a lot. Never noticed i was doing it, or what the difference was. But, one person and one person alone had a real problem with me using it. Everyone else can understand and i see it repeated so often its becoming almost standard.

Some people want to reverse the usage because they say its 'incorrect'

Allot is a completely different word :confused:
    It makes no sense either. You don't write afew or "I had acup of tea"... or to make a similar comparison, "affew" and "accup".

bluewolf wrote: »
    Allot is a completely different word :confused:
    It makes no sense either. You don't write afew or "I had acup of tea"... or to make a similar comparison, "affew" and "accup".

I know its a completely different word. But its context. If i say 'There where allot of people in my house last weekend' you know exactly what i mean and if you know what it means then it makes sense QED. Im the dyslexic one and even i can read that :)

Words meaning change in context. Say volume to a sound engineer and then to a chemist, theyll hear the same word but gather two very different meanings. The spelling doesnt matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I know its a completely different word. But its context. If i say 'There where allot of people in my house last weekend' you know exactly what i mean and if you know what it means then it makes sense QED. Im the dyslexic one and even i can read that :)

Words meaning change in context. Say volume to a sound engineer and then to a chemist, theyll hear the same word but gather two very different meanings. The spelling doesnt matter

I understand what you wrote, but why would you use that when you know it is not correct? Fair enough making mistakes, but why substitute a word when you know it is not correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

i know what you mean.

for instance Benign=what you be after you be eight.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Why is it piss poor? Do you still spell afterward aftirward or glib as glybbee.

You have also used alot rather than a lot. Showing how the conventions of spelling are already affecting even yourself. Hardly a piss poor excuse but rather just a variation.

It's not a variation imo, it's wrong, plain and simple and I'm going to work on not using it in future rather than shrugging my shoulders and hoping it gets into the dictionary before I die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Pace2008 wrote: »
    There was one typo and some questionable overuse of paragraphs.

My world continued to turn.

:eek:

We are engraving the heads of pins now are we?

When most in here write with the bucket of a JCB?

Ooookay.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The problem that I have with bad grammar is that most of the time it is very difficult to understand. It also reeks of laziness and arrogance: why should I bother typing or spelling correctly? You can understand what I mean!

I've always likened it to going to an interview in ripped jeans and a hooded sweatshirt: yeah, you'll be the exact same candidate and make the exact same points, but do you really think you'll get the job...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I understand what you wrote, but why would you use that when you know it is not correct? Fair enough making mistakes, but why substitute a word when you know it is not correct?

I dont use it. I was giving an example. Sometimes I don't pick up on spelling mistakes i might make no matter how much proof reading I might do. And usually I read over what I write 2 or 3 times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I couldn't care less whether someone can spell or not. I find it irritating when others can't wait to correct them, though.

A little tolerance goes a long way!

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Dudess wrote: »
    Pointing out errors on thread - from a one-off like a "your" instead of a "you're" to a whole paragraph of errors - just looks really petty. Why not report it instead of belittling a person who writes an otherwise well intentioned post?

Not everyone has a strong grasp of grammar/punctuation/spelling (either because of not receiving a comprehensive enough grounding in it, or simply because it doesn't come easily to them) even when they try to improve it. A lack of capital letters and apostrophes doesn't render something incomprehensible - extreme textspeak does, and large chunks of text without any full stops/commas: also difficult to read as there is often (not always) a lack of pauses conveyed. But in the cases of the latter, it's up to the mods to point it out - and maybe the mods could do so by PM rather than on-thread. Some people might just not be bothered their arse making their posts readable, but others may have a genuine difficulty doing so, and it's unfair to humiliate them. It's a bit dismaying to read when they get defensive and even upset - some people don't seem to bear in mind too that there is a significant number of people with severe dyslexia. And pointing out mistakes on thread derails a thread and I don't understand why it doesn't incur a reprimand.

I saw a really unpleasant example recently (with a load of thanks) and was surprised nothing was said by a mod - it totally looked like online ganging-up. The person had written something which had mistakes but was perfectly understandable. When they asked for elaboration on the smart comment, they got no response of course.

Would those who correct errors on thread do so in a real-life social setting with a number of others present to witness it? They'd be absolutely shot down for condescending behaviour if they did so.

And yeah, there are always so many examples of Muphry's Law by people who nit-pick others' writing...

Post reported.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

Must be a mod givin dem selves praize!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

burner2009 wrote: »
    i always get bugged about little tings like if 1 or 2 letter are wrong you can still understand it so whats the problem

Correction - Things not tings :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

Men defo more blonde moments.

Sur dem laz can hardly see de screeeen wit the tippex;)

Scientists have proved it only takes 3.5 inches to satisfy any woman..............

..........and it doesn't make a difference if it Visa or Mastercard!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Shoot me please..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Johro wrote: »
    Shoot me please..

Bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Bang!
    Aw crap... What's wrong with your aim?? Right in the joystick...
    That's just cruel man..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

seagull wrote:
    Oops! Are these spelling mistakes, or just typos?
    *sigh*
    Those are typos. As you see, I know how to spell these words.
    But I don't typo too goodo sp leabe me aline!
    shinikins wrote: »
    I fail to see your logic here, teachers are paid to teach, and part of the learning process is correction. You can't correct dyslexia out of someone who suffers it. Its like having blue eyes, they are yours for the rest of your life and you can't change them. So it is petty to correct someone else's spelling mistakes, especially when they have already apologised for them, and are obvioulsy trying to improve their spelling. All you are doing by "pointing out" their errors is making them feel even worse about their shortcomings while you feel superior.

No, I'm saying you're right.
    Spellings not a big deal and there's no point trying to improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

burner2009 wrote: »
    why do people on this always give out about my spelling
    does it really matter how its spelled once people can understand it and i get my message across im getting really ****ing sick of it

I have no problem with your spelling, it seems fine to me. However your punctuation is another matter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Can we understand the message? Depends on the amount of detail in the message. The OP's rant about Spelling and Grammar Nazis is a blunt message, so it doesn't require refined language, and so I consider it an example of effective communication within a specific social context (AH).

The message is "DO NOT WANT", delivered with all the subtlety of a shovel to the side of the head. It was designed to inflict pain on those of us who make an effort to communicate more subtle messages effectively, and in that regard, I have to admit that it succeeded admirably. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

No, I'm saying you're right.
    Spellings not a big deal and there's no point trying to improve it.

Well you'll have to correct me if i'm wrong here, but that is really not how you came across when you made reference to teaching and correcting others spelling mistakes.
    Why is it petty?
    Do you think a teacher correcting a student is petty?

Sure, it'd be easier to just to leave the children alone.
    They can't spell very well.
    But **** it, it'd be petty to correct them.
    Ok, so unless you know the person or are getting paid for it, you should never try to correct anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

shinikins wrote: »
    Well you'll have to correct me if i'm wrong here, but that is really not how you came across when you made reference to teaching and correcting others spelling mistakes.

Yes but I was wrong.
    Dyslexia is a real disability and not some bull**** term coined by pshyciatrists to sugar coat laziness.

I was wrong and now I know what's right.
    All thanks to you correcting me over the internet.

See how correction improves us all?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Quick Tip for all users:

When you have finished writing your post, read over it for mistakes and then correct any spelling or grammer errors.

Yes, this may take longer for you to post but you know that you have made a good quality post that has correct spelling, punctuation, grammer etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Please tell me you're taking the piss. I know a few posters on here who are dyslexic and they are extremely intelligent people.

The attitude towards dyslexic people in this thread is disgusting. Laziness? Stupidity? Not recognising it as an actual disability?

Pure ignorance.
    Fair enough if you have dyslexia, then you have a reason for it.

You're not seriously trying to tell me that there is no difference between dyslexia and stupidity?
    I'm talking about the posts that are targeted towards dyslexic people, such as senordingdong's.

OisinT's post said "anyone" so I presumed he included dyslexic people in those he accused of being "proud" of their stupidity and not caring about their spelling.
    I doubt that anyone who is dyslexic is "proud" of not being able to spell. It's the people who are not dyslexic that don't give a flying shít about whether they spell/speak properly that really get on my nerves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Good spelling is not a reflection of intelligence in itself. I think your well spelt post demonstrates that.

So you're calling me unintelligent. Nice, good quality post there.

Advertisement