Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

The Waterworks has to be one of the best runs around. Im surprised that there has never been a race up there. It would be good especially as you dont have to worry about traffic.

You're not sticking to your marathon plan by doing 800's tonite :D.

I was on my way out from the gym today for a run & I met Viv & Sean going for a run so I went with them. We went to Tymon & done 7.27m avg pace 8.10, nice & handy. Weather was great again. I'l defo have to dig out the shorts although I heard its to get very cold again & there's talk of snow at the weekend :eek:. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Gym and 7 miles - good day! Jesus, it wouldn't surprise me about the snow. I hate that stuff. Rough weather out there at the moment.
    Are you going to go back to Daniels 5-15k at all?

5 miles at 7:34 tonight. Not very exciting/enjoyable but I just put the head down and got on with it. Planned on doing these at 8:00 but I just wanted to get back home after half a mile.

Im thinking of starting back next week :).

Done 8 x 400's @ 88-90sec with 45 sec recovery. Im going to give the bhaa cc race in maynooth on sat a go. I havent raced in a while so would like to try it out & see how the calf is.

It got very cold today again so I think i'l put on hold pulling out the shorts & see what way the weather goes over the next week or so :D

Good luck in Maynooth; there's a good few from the club doing it.

Tough session today - lack of stamina really showed up with the wind. 2 miles easy, 2x 17:30 tempo, 1x 10 min tempo, 2 miles easy. Tempo 1 was ok at 6:17, but it was pretty much all I had! The second one turned out at 6:49 and the last one was at 7:00 pace. I kept pushing but just couldn't hit the correct pace with the headwind. Knackered now.

First MP run this weekend :cool:

11.6 miles at 7:12 avg.

Im not surprised. Wind was dreadful today. I felt wrecked as well trying to run in it. I done 6m @ 8.09 avg.

Were u out running on the Old Bawn rd today at about 11.45am?

• Advertisement

It was tough going alright. We have been spoiled recently though! Looks like rain for the weekend.

I was indeed, on the way back - were you running at that time too?

Nah, I was out at 9.30 this morning. I was driving up the Old Bawn rd when I seen u running. I didnt beep as I knew you wouldnt know the car :).

I dont mind it being wet for sat once its not windy like it has been the last few days. :D

Well spotted! Went out for 30 mins this morning to spin up the legs after yesterday. 4 miles at 7:28. Lashing rain, but the wind has gone.

Plan for today was 2 miles warm up, 13 PMP, 2 miles warm down. I was really looking forward to this one, but had a brutal night's sleep so I wasn't so enthusiastic this morning. It tuned out ok anyway. I did the MP miles at 7:05 avg. The first 8 or 9 flew and the last 4 were pretty hard but manageable. I don't even want to think about holding that pace for another 13.2 miles. Just have to trust the plan I suppose.

Decent route around Firhouse, Airton, Templeogue, Walkinstown, Greenhills etc.

17 miles at 7:14 avg.

Well done on your run today.

I was happy with my run in Maynooth. 9th overall & I got 2nd in my age cata as they give 1st 5 individual prizes. I was 13.06 for 2m. I didnt hang around for prize giving today but I got a txt to say I got a lamp :rolleyes:.

Calf felt ok. legs were a bit like jelly at the start. Enjoyed 2m better. Calf was a bit tight afterwards but im not too worried about it. It probably wasnt use to the racing :).

Going out with the lads in the morning, meeting at club at 8

• Advertisement

Savage placing and time Jacqui - well done. You're well over that injury now. A lamp, jaysus :D Better than nothing I suppose. How did today go? Where did yis head? Top weather for it.

I did 5.6 at 7:32. Just over 50 miles for the week. Got a 20+ miler on Tues, then Craughwell on Sunday.

Some of us went up manslane & some went up slade. I done 10.89m with viv, avg pace 8.02. It was bitter at 8 this morning.:cool: I avnt felt that cold in a while. It took 3m before I felt my fingers.

Good luck with your 20miler :)

Got in 5 miles at lunchtime. 7:28 pace. The body was not cooperating on this one. Found it really tough going. Big week ahead so hopefully that's the bad run out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

cwgatling wrote: »
    Got in 5 miles at lunchtime. 7:28 pace. The body was not cooperating on this one. Found it really tough going. Big week ahead so hopefully that's the bad run out of the way.

Go super easy this week man, give yourself every chance of hitting your target in Craughwell. Definitely take a day off somewhere between now and sunday, maybe even 2 days.

Cheers Eoin - yeah, it's easy street from now until Sunday.
    Did 20.1 at 7:44 today. What a day for a run. This session flew by. Just glad there was no tempo/MP stuff involved, though that's in the post for the coming weeks.

That was a great run today. Weather was amazing for it.

I done 6 x 800's yesterday. I felt tired & times werent great. Then on the cool down my calf tightened up :mad:. I had to stop & walk back to the gym. Ran very easy today but it still felt very tight. Was talking to Eoin yesterday & he said I might have to take a complete two week rest. Im going to give it another few days & see how it goes. I thought I had gotten over this. Hopefully its just a small blip.

Damn Jacqui, bad news. I was sure that injury was fully gone. Speedwork is the first place it'll show up I guess. If you want the number of the physio I go to let me know, he's excellent. Do you do the foam roller thing at all? It might help some.

Got in 5.5 at 7:32 this morning. Legs were very fragile for the first 2 miles but I threw in some strides and that loosened them up. Time for the pub now :cool:

5.5 miles at 7:23. It's 1 full lap of the waterworks. Scaling back on the miles a bit this week on account of Sunday. Feeling grand in spite of a mammoth drinking session yesterday.

Hope you enjoyed your few pints yesterday :D.

Done 6m very easy yesterday.Calf was tight to begin with but as the run went on it loosened out :). Went to the gym today & done the bike & xtrainer. Calf felt grand so hopefully it was just a blip. Im going to give the speedwork a miss for a few weeks as I dont have any races until the road relays in Raheny 17th April.

I use the foam roller all the time in the gym after a run & I stretch loads.

Good luck with the race on Sunday but the way your training has been going it'l be a breeze. Let me know how the race goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

cwgatling wrote: »
    a mammoth drinking session yesterday.

Jaysus Christ Paddy! This is where I turn into your old man and give out to you for being careless before a big race. Tut tut tut *folds arms and shakes head*

• Advertisement

Craughwell 10 mile today. Finished in 65 mins even. Raced like a total idiot by going out too fast. Then I slowed down a bit. Then I got a bit worried and sped up again :D Splits are all over the place. For the last 25 minutes, I felt like lying down in the ditch in a shivering ball. About 4 people passed me and I only managed to peg one guy back in the last 400. Anyway, you live, you learn.

Brilliant race. Great course, support, location. Food and drink afterwards second to none. Big thanks to Craughwell AC. I'll definitely be back.

50.1 miles for the week.

Wel done on ur time today even though u felt you were all over the place :). You learn by your mistakes. Dont do that on the marathon. You'll get away with it on the 10miler but the marathon is a different story.

I done 11.04m, avg 7.43 pace yesterday from the club up to the waterworks & bac. It was a great morning. Calf felt grand until the last half mile. It felt grand today so I think I'l give speedwork a miss for a few weeks until its stronger again. I went in & watched the 5k in town today. Weather was great. Defo going to do that race next year:D

Thanks Jacqui. I won't be doing that again in a hurry. Still haven't recovered.

I agree with that - forget the speed for a while. The long runs are great for strength, so after a few weeks of those you'll be ready to get back into those 800's!

3 miles at 8:00 this morning. Legs and body in bits! Next race is the National 10k. Kildare's in 8 weeks :eek:

Calf was tight still this morning even after my rest day ysterday :mad:. Im going away on sat for a week so im kinda half thinking of taking the week off running & enjoy the rest & hopefully when i come back it'l be ok.

The road relays is my nxt race hopefully. Are you going to be doing them?
    The course on the 10k is tough enough. Hopefully I'l get over to see it.

Might be for the best Jacqui. You know yourself that it doesn't matter how hard you've trained if you can't make it to the starting line. Hadn't heard anything about the road relays. What's the craic there?

I was feeling a bit better this morning, so kept a steady pace on a nice loop around Aylesbury, Kiltipper, bit of the Dublin Mountains Way, Bohernabreena Road and Firhouse. Lovely balmy weather. 5.2 miles at 7:14. Tempo session tomorrow.

I had a lovely run this morning @ 7am. Calf felt a bit tight but as I got into the run it was grand :confused:. I done 7.49m @ 7.58 pace.

The road relays are on the 17th April in Raheny. There is four races, senior men & women, master men & women. For the seniors its 4 on a team on a mile loop. the ratio I think for the seniors is 1:2:3:2. The 1st man does 1m, 2nd does 2m etc. give Derek in the club a shout if your interested in doing it.

Good going there Jacqui. 7AM? No way you'd get me running at that hour.

Tempo thing today. 2 miles warm up, 8x 5:30 at T pace, 2 miles warm down was the plan. Tempos turned out like this:
    6:16 (1 mile)
    6:08
    6:15
    6:21
    6:18
    6:39
    6:38
    6:07 (1 mile)

The 6th and 7th T bits were hilly. Really took it out of me. Also the recoveries were 30-40s up until 6 and 7. I took 1 min after that because, well, I was dying on my feet. I really have to work on the stamina side of things. The last mile was on the track.

11.7 at 6:52 avg.

Nothing like an early morning run to wake you up :D.

Good going on ur miles. I met viv this morning & we ran to tymon from the club. Done just over 7m. Calf is feeling grand again. Weather is glorious, long may it last

Too right, this weather is brilliant. I met some of the lads up there yesterday too. They're all heading to Liverpool this weekend for the half marathon. Glad the calf's going good.

Had a great run today. On an early shift, so grabbed an hour's sleep after lunch and headed straight out. 11.3 at 7:23. I threw in an MP mile for mile 11 and it came out at 6:52.

• Advertisement

I had a lovely run this morning in the waterworks.Weather was fab, 11.27m @7.45 pace. This has 2 be the nicest run of the week.U cant beat it :). Im off on hols 2moro for8 days. Ive packed the runners cause I know I'l want to do a few runs. I'l c how how I go.Calf is feeling fine

Advertisement