Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Best of luck with the 30 mins - let us know how it goes. Sub 32? Very doubtful for me!

Did 2 miles warm up and 7x 800 at 3:00, 2 miles warm down. I jogged 400 metres for the recoveries, which was good in the sense that it added almost 2 miles to the daily total. 1 blister is ok, the other is in bits.

8.83 at 7:09 avg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

How is the foot? was it just blisters? If so compeed is your friend!

Sub 32 is definitely on for you based on the session logged on 23rd last.

Have the faith! It's a good fast course too with only one hill of note about a km from the finish. I did 32.48 and your miles ahead of where i was then.

Best of luck

Yep, just 1 big fcuker. I stopped in the chemist on the way back and picked up the compeed. Should do the trick, thanks ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'd be delighted with sub 32. We'll see how it goes, I'll give it a good lash anyway. Are you running it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

cwgatling wrote: »
    Yep, just 1 big fcuker. I stopped in the chemist on the way back and picked up the compeed. Should do the trick, thanks ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'd be delighted with sub 32. We'll see how it goes, I'll give it a good lash anyway. Are you running it?
    Nah only back properly since last weekend so its bit early.

I defo think you have it in you so just start hard and try hang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Best of luck with the 30 mins - let us know how it goes. Sub 32? Very doubtful for me!

Did 2 miles warm up and 7x 800 at 3:00, 2 miles warm down. I jogged 400 metres for the recoveries, which was good in the sense that it added almost 2 miles to the daily total. 1 blister is ok, the other is in bits.

8.83 at 7:09 avg.
    Got to run today :). Done my 30 mins on grass, the calf felt grand. Didnt feel it all. You should be well able to go sub 32 mins with the times & reps that you are doing. I better see dat result on Sunday nite on the board :D

• Advertisement

I done 4.86m today in 41mins on grass. Calf is holding up well. Good luck to everyone doing Raheny 5m tomorrow, would have like to be doing it but there's always next yr :).

Great stuff Jacqui - you are going well. Just keep an eye on it and you'll be flying in no time.

30:10 in the race today. Perfect weather, great course and big crowd running. Great goody bag too. Thanks to all the Raheny crowd.

I took kennyb3's advice and went out hard enough. I started near the back, so got a bit panicked when I was still dodging people after 1/4 mile. I was shocked at the first mile split, but I felt great so I just kept the same pace. The 4th mile was a bit of a grind and the last one was really nasty. Absolutely delighted/shocked with the time. I'd have been happy with 6:20 splits.

5:58
    6:10
    6:03
    5:59
    5:53

According to the marathon plan, I needed 1 hour easy after this, so I took off around the park. Beautiful area to run in. 7.2 miles at 8:08 pace. 13.1 miles for the day. Might try for 13.1 beers tonight :pac:

Superb runnin :) told you you would be well able for a sub 32mins. It was a great day for the race. I went to watch it. Pity I dont kno you or I could have cheered you on :D
    I done nearly 8m from the house today. Was going grand but then felt the calf again. Its been sore since. Booked in with physio tomorrow again :(.
    Well done again for today

Went to physio and back to running on grass for the rest of the week. Calf still not 100%. Wil wait & see how it feels at the wkend and decide wether or not to do the Masters XC on Sun. Hopefully it will be ok

Glad to hear it's not keeping you out fully anyway. Fingers crossed for Sunday!

Rest day yesterday. 10.5 at 7:35 tonight. Foot is on the mend. I have to get an 18 miler in this week but it looks like I'll be doing that XC on Sunday too. It's going to be a busy week.

• Advertisement

6 miles at 7:30. Bit breezy out there today :eek:

18 miles at 7:58. Jesus, the wind... I am glad that's over.

That was some time & mileage in that wind. At least you didnt have the rain as well :). Hate running in the wind, dont mind the rain as much. I didnt do anything 2day. rest rest rest (boring) but its gotta be done

Thanks Jacqui, it was bad in parts but like you say, it has to be done. From the Templeogue bridge all the way up to the top of the waterworks seemed to be into the wind :confused:

I am the same: any condition bar windy. It's ok for training but I really hope it's gone for Sunday. With a bit of luck you'll be fit for it as well.

4.5 at 7:45

Got to try out the XC spikes. Nice shoes. Legs pretty tired today.

Intermediate cross country today. This was my first XC race. Met Tunguska at the start, who, as well as being an animal of a runner, is an absolute gent.

It was very wet and mucky underfoot even warming up, but we were the last race so by then the course was in bits. I was (naively) hoping for sub 40 here and ended up with 53:17 for 10k. Not through lack of effort, just that I have never run in anything close to these conditions before. Very strong field; looking at past results I knew I was in over my head, but I gave it my best.

Did 3 miles on the roads after I got back to bring the weekly total to 50.

The calf didnt hold up today in them conditions. Felt ok in the warm up, although that wasnt done on the course. On the 2nd lap I was feeling the calf & I went over on my ankle. Decided it wasnt worth the risk of further injury to my calf :(. It wasnt as bad as the last race so I hoping its on the mend. Going to give it some more rest & leave the racing until the calf is 100%. 1st race that I have pulled out of. It was the worst mud bath Ive ever seen :). I didnt get to see your race. Hope you enjoyed it & wasnt put off XC. Its seldom that bad :D

I'm not surprised Jacqui, it was rough as hell. That was a good decision. There'll be other days as you know. Can't say I enjoyed it but I'll probably try 1 or 2 more down the line.

4.75 miles at 7:30 on lovely tarmac today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Intermediate cross country today. This was my first XC race. Met Tunguska at the start, who, as well as being an animal of a runner, is an absolute gent.

It was very wet and mucky underfoot even warming up, but we were the last race so by then the course was in bits. I was (naively) hoping for sub 40 here and ended up with 53:17 for 10k. Not through lack of effort, just that I have never run in anything close to these conditions before. Very strong field; looking at past results I knew I was in over my head, but I gave it my best.

Did 3 miles on the roads after I got back to bring the weekly total to 50.

You did well Paddy, dont think you realise how well. You showed a lot of balls yesterday, Derek and Gary were impressed. You'll defintely do a sub 2:55 in October.

I'm not surprised Jacqui, it was rough as hell. That was a good decision. There'll be other days as you know. Can't say I enjoyed it but I'll probably try 1 or 2 more down the line.

4.75 miles at 7:30 on lovely tarmac today.
    How was the legs after yesterday? Calf was feeling ok. I swam 40 lengths in the pool. Im gona give the racing a miss until the calf is 100%. Hoping to go on grass again on Weds or Thurs

• Advertisement

Thanks for the kind words Eoin - well done, you had a great race. I lost sight of you after the first km :D

Legs were shaky enough Jacqui, but that 3 easy miles straightened them out. Good strategy, there is no point in aggravating it. With that amount of swimming and some easy running, very little fitness will be lost. You going to target a 10k in April/May?

8 miles at 7:13 avg. Nice day outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

8 miles at 7:13 avg. Nice day outside.

I'll be doing 10miles at about 7:05 - 7:10 /mile pace tomorrow at about 1pm if you're interested? You have my mobile so text me if you're up for that.

Thanks for the kind words Eoin - well done, you had a great race. I lost sight of you after the first km :D

Legs were shaky enough Jacqui, but that 3 easy miles straightened them out. Good strategy, there is no point in aggravating it. With that amount of swimming and some easy running, very little fitness will be lost. You going to target a 10k in April/May?

Done 30mins on bike in gym 2day & 40 lengths of pool. Im going to run on grass maybe thurs & see how the calf is. I would like to get a 10k in around then. I was hoping to do the national 10k which is incorporated in the Great Bupa 10k in the Phoneix park but I have a family coming that wkend so I dont know yet? Are you doing the Kildare marathon? I see there is a 10k also so I might have a look at doing that. Your defo on for a sub 3hr marathon with the time of your miles.

Yeah, doing Kildare alright. It's a bit away yet so plenty of time. Should be a good day out. When you're back fully fit stick with that Daniels 5-15k and it'll be a breeze of a race.

6x 5 mins on, 4 mins off. On was 6:00 (give or take 2 seconds), off was 8:00 (give or take 10s).

Did this on the track in UCD after work. I'll be bringing the spikes next time, that thing is slippy! 10.5 miles for the night.

Ive decided to take the week off from running (im sure it wont do me any harm). Went on the bike & xtrainer today in the gym to strenghten the calf without the impact. I probably rushed back too quick into the running :rolleyes:. I'l give myself a few weeks back running before I attempt speed sessions & hopefully I wont have lost too much speed.The prices for the Kildare marathon, half marathon & 10k are a bit steep. I was looking up the website last nite.

A week's a short time in the grand scheme of things. I've rushed back from injury myself before - easy mistake to make. Those prices have gone up alright. I entered before Christmas. The 1/2 and full have a tech t-shirt, so that's something.

5.7 miles at 8:00 tonight. Just a handy few miles to freshen up the legs. This started out as a real drag but I bumped into a lad from the club at 1.5 miles so it was plain sailing after that.

8 miles at 8:05 pace. Beautiful evening. Kept the pace easy enough on this one; I have a tempo thing planned for tomorrow.

I decided late last night to spin down to Enniscorthy for the 10k. Should have gone even easier yesterday, the legs had no zip at all. Great course and atmosphere down there, well worth the effort.
    I came out with 39.02 by the watch. Maybe the chip time will be a bit kinder ;) Happy enough, given the circumstances. On the right day I feel I could probably get 37:xx. Did 3 warm down miles to leave me at 10.5 for the day and 47.5 for the week.

• Advertisement

Wel done. I ran 40 mins on grass today. Calf felt ok. Gona stick on grass for the week & see how it goes.

Advertisement