Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Ah that's brilliant jacquib - well done! It was great weather for it.

Itziger - best of luck with the 3.10. You following a plan? With a half time like that you should be well able for it.

15 @ 7:50 on the roads today. Found this grand, the weather was beautiful. 46.8 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Weather was great apart from a few places where der was a strong breeze. Course was great. Nxt race is d Bhaa in Cherrryfield on sat:). U ad a gud run 2day. Dats d only ting i hate bout sun races is missin out on my long run on a sun morn

U shud be wel able 4 3.10 wi dem times. Dey only ting dat I wud say as it is ur 1st mara, take it easy 4 d 20 miles & c how u go & den up it if ur feelin ok.

6 miles at 7:43. Another lovely evening.

20 mins warm up, 40 mins at 1/2 marathon pace, 20 mins cool down.
    2.5 @8:00, 5.75 @6:59, 2.5 @8:00

All the splits were on the button except 1 tempo mile where I had to stop at lights. I made up the seconds on the next one.

10.75 miles for the night.

• Advertisement

Done warm up, 9 X 400, cool down. Cudnt do d 10th 1 as my leg didnt feel great. My calf is very sore now. Hope its ok 2moro:(

Those 400's are tough. What were your splits? I find that any niggles are really aggravated by speed work. Keep it slow for a while and you will be grand for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

cwgatling wrote: »
    Ah that's brilliant jacquib - well done! It was great weather for it.

Itziger - best of luck with the 3.10. You following a plan? With a half time like that you should be well able for it.

15 @ 7:50 on the roads today. Found this grand, the weather was beautiful. 46.8 miles for the week.

Nah, I'm not great at plans. I've looked at quite a few and I've read lots of articles but I basically do my own thing. Build up the miles and try to do one "speed" session a week. Sure I could be more scientific about it, but in the end you listen to your body and run as well as it allows you. You're the second person on here who's said 3.10 should be easy with a 1.28 half but from my maths you'd NEED that kind of half to do a full in the time I'm aiming for. It's not a if I was coasting the 1.28 either. There seem to be a few going to Rotterdam, could be interesting! I think also as it's my first I'm wary. How many times have you read "I was going fine till mile$* -then I blew up. Having said that I hope to have done 6 or 8 30plus kilometre runs before the big day. Weather's been very kind so far; major finger crossing that it stays that way.

Those 400's are tough. What were your splits? I find that any niggles are really aggravated by speed work. Keep it slow for a while and you will be grand for the weekend.
    I was doin dem @ 88sec-90, but 1 side of d track was icy dis mornin so I was slower on 1 side. Was suppose 2 do dem in 86 sec. I mite jus do d bike in the mornin in d gym. Im hopin 2 do d bhaa race on sat mornin

Leg felt ok 2day so I went 4 an easy run. Done 7.43m @ 8.22 pace. It was a lovely crisp mornin & d leg felt grand.

• Advertisement

Good stuff jacquib! I have a few aches myself but 1 or 2 easy sessions usually sorts them out. Yep, great weather - not a breath of wind.

Itziger - Mcmillan has 3:05 for a 1:28 half, and the old 2x (half time) + 15 mins would have you there or thereabouts as well. I'm no expert, but yeah, those 18+ milers are important.

Yesterday - 3.5 at 8:22. This was not pleasant.
    Today - 8.1 at 7:26. This was great.

6 miles at 7:50. I was out 'til 3 in the morning last night, so nothing too strenuous today :D

Done d Cherryfield race 2day, felt a few niggles in calf wen I was doin strides b4 race. Nearly pulled out as it was sore wen I started d race, kept goin, it wasnt great. Went from 4th 2 7th on d las half mile as i cudnt go wen d girls made a break:(. Cudnt do a cool down as calf was 2 sore. Booked d physio 4 mon. Cant put any weight on leg now. Ive iced it & elevated it 4 a bit Wasnt al bad, got 1st in age cata plus team prize. Hope its not 2 serious & it was great conditions 4 d race. Wel organised race & tea & brack was lovely afterwards

Fair play jacquib. Well done on the prize! Good decision on the physio. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Me 2. D Masters al Ireland is in 2 wks & I wud hate 2 miss dat. I was suppose 2 b doin Raheny nxt wk but I tink im gona av 2 give dat a miss dis yr

Calf is feelin much better 2day as I can put my weight on it so Im hopin its not 2 serious. D physio wil b able 2 tel me more 2moro. I suppose d few days rest wont do me any harm but u kno us runners we hate enforced rest especially wen dis mornin luked lovely 4 a run.

jacquib wrote: »
    Calf is feelin much better 2day as I can put my weight on it so Im hopin its not 2 serious. D physio wil b able 2 tel me more 2moro. I suppose d few days rest wont do me any harm but u kno us runners we hate enforced rest especially wen dis mornin luked lovely 4 a run.
    Jaqui, feel free to tell me to FO but do you think you could use full words when you write?

Few days' rest is definitely no harm, but you're right, it was nice out there today.
    I did the same session as last week (almost): warm up, 5x(4 mins hard, 3 easy), warm down.

Warm up was 2.5 at 8:00, then the hard bits were at 6:06, 6:01, 6:00, 6:11, 6:04. Would have gone for the 6th one but I got a big blister from stupidly wearing 1 normal cotton sock and 1 running sock :rolleyes:

42.7 miles for the week.

Itziger wrote: »
    Jaqui, feel free to tell me to FO but do you think you could use full words when you write?
    Sorry about that but I was writing the way I text. I'l remember that for the future:). Oh by the way I spell my name JACQUI:)

Few days' rest is definitely no harm, but you're right, it was nice out there today.
    I did the same session as last week (almost): warm up, 5x(4 mins hard, 3 easy), warm down.

Warm up was 2.5 at 8:00, then the hard bits were at 6:06, 6:01, 6:00, 6:11, 6:04. Would have gone for the 6th one but I got a big blister from stupidly wearing 1 normal cotton sock and 1 running sock :rolleyes:

42.7 miles for the week.
    We all learn by our mistakes. Put on a blister plaster if you have any and it shouldnt mess up your training.

• Advertisement

jacquib wrote: »
    Sorry about that but I was writing the way I text. I'l remember that for the future:). Oh by the way I spell my name JACQUI:)
    Ooops, sorry. Jacqui.

I was at the physio and its not too bad. Ive strained the calf and not torn it. Ive to rest it for the rest of the week and do maybe 20-30mins on grass on fri or sat and see how it feels. Im going to give Raheny a miss and make sure im fit for the masters in alssa on the 6th feb. I'l go watch Raheny and see everyone slogging their guts out, makes a change from me slogging mine out :). I can do some swimming so I'l be hitting the pool to keep the fitness going.

That's grand Jacqui, a week is nothing. You can pick up where you left off, hopefully.

6.4 at 7:29 today. Nice hill in this one: 250ft rise in 1 mile.

It'l probably do me good as I dont really take any time off:). Ur going well anyway, the blister doesnt seem to have stopped you. Are you doing any races or have you any coming up?

Foot is still pretty sore, think I will take a rest day tomorrow. Yep, doing Raheny on Sunday! First race of the year so looking forward to it.

4 at 7:30 today.

Make sure you have your blister well covered for the race. I done 24 lengths in the swimming pool which I enjoyed as it was different. Still would have liked too go for a run but Im doing what im told for once. Good luck with Raheny on sunday. I'l go and watch it as it is a good race. Are you going for a time or as it is your 1st race of the year are you just doing it to see where you are at?

24? Jesus, I wouldn't even manage 2.

I'll try to get under 32:30 - see how it goes.

30 lengths of the pool today :). Maybe I'l take up the swimming then you wouldnt have to worry about injuries. Only joking :D. Calf is feeling good. thinking of trying 30 mins on grass on friday & see how I go.

There's always tri's ;) Hopefully the calf will hold up.

Handy 6 today to test out the foot. It was ok for the most part. I didn't push the pace at all on this one. 7:22 avg. Lovely day.

• Advertisement

I done an indoor triathlon in the gym before. Its a lot of training with all the different elements. I dont think I would fancy swimming in a river for an outdoor one :). Didnt do anything today so Im going to try maybe 30 mins on grass tomorrow. You should be well able for 32:30 or under if ur running comfortable @ 7.22 pace. I done 32 mins on that course 2 yrs ago, so you have to try and get under 32 mins :D

Advertisement