Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

cwgatling wrote: »
    Last MP run today. There's a 4 mile loop in the Phoenix Park that's great for these, flat and grassy -> Loop. The only thing is it's really exposed so half of it has a strong headwind. I am so sick of this windy weather. Lovely if you're out for a stroll or something, but jaysus it sucks the life out of me trying to run in it.
    Anyway,

2 mile w/u at 7:44
    15 at 6:45
    1 mile c/d at 7:20

I was not looking forward to this at all, but it was actually ok. Pretty tired come the last mile, but not half as bad as when I did 13 at MP a few weeks back. Good day's work.

Oh yeah, took a powerbar gel. Disgusting. Will have to try something else before the race.

nice one, sets you up nicely for the marathon....good session!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Last MP run today. There's a 4 mile loop in the Phoenix Park that's great for these, flat and grassy -> Loop. The only thing is it's really exposed so half of it has a strong headwind. I am so sick of this windy weather. Lovely if you're out for a stroll or something, but jaysus it sucks the life out of me trying to run in it.
    Anyway,

2 mile w/u at 7:44
    15 at 6:45
    1 mile c/d at 7:20

I was not looking forward to this at all, but it was actually ok. Pretty tired come the last mile, but not half as bad as when I did 13 at MP a few weeks back. Good day's work.

Oh yeah, took a powerbar gel. Disgusting. Will have to try something else before the race.

Good stuff CW.....Solid session in those conditions....Like the bit about the gel... Ur leaving it late to decide on an alternative gel :).. Powerbar gels are an acquired taste alright but I swear by them.. Maybe try a different flavour :confused:.... If not what gels are u considering ???

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Well done Paddy.

Today was the 1st day without wind in a while & I didnt get 2 run :(
    I spent 4 hours in tallaght a & e yesterday. Woke up sunday with a sore forearm & it was swollen. Wasnt gettin any better & as im goin away for a week on sat decided to get it looked at. Ive got tendonitis & im in a cast for 2wks :eek:. Im going to meet sharon & viv in the mornin to do 18m so i hopin it will be ok. I hope this isnt going to affect my marathon after all the training :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

@cw - I find the high5 isogels really easy to take - they're VERY liquid, more like a mouthful of sweet juice than a gel.

@jaquib - best of luck with the cast - that's pretty poor timing. Haile always runs slightly lopsided, from carrying books to school as a kid...

@ Brownian, thanks. I got the 18m in today, wasnt too bad, last few miles arm felt heavy. Ive to get it taken off on the 25th so hopefully it will be ok. If not im just going to ask if I can wear a strap on marathon day. I cant let all that training go to waste :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Thanks Liamo, it was foul - the blackcurrant one. I have a few Gu ones that I'll try and maybe the Hi-5 that Brownian suggested. Still, whatever gets me over the line, I'll eat!

Jesus, awful timing Jacqui. Don't let it put you off. You won't have it on the day and the serious work has been done. Let's hope that's the only setback. No more long runs - we're only 2 weeks out!

Thanks Brownian, I'll give them a try. Still get the shudders thinking about that Powerbar :( Hope the legs are getting better for you.

Wed - 4 easy
    Thurs - 5.5 easy w/ 4x 100m strides
    Fri - tempo session.

4.5 warmup @ 7:45
    3 T pace @ 6:02
    2.6 easy @ 7:45
    3 T pace @ 6:00
    1 easy cooldown @8:00

14 for the day avg pace 7:02.

Great day for it and had company (thanks Eoin!). Pretty wiped now but the mileage for the week is almost done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

4.5 warmup @ 7:45
    3 T pace @ 6:02
    2.6 easy @ 7:45
    3 T pace @ 6:00
    1 easy cooldown @8:00

14 for the day avg pace 7:02.

Great day for it and had company (thanks Eoin!). Pretty wiped now but the mileage for the week is almost done.

Thought you were on a taper, great session :p. Another suggestion for gels for you, these boys, I find them easy on the stomach and they dont taste strong although you'll be fairly buzzing if you try all the gels suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Thought you were on a taper, great session :p. Another suggestion for gels for you, these boys, I find them easy on the stomach and they dont taste strong although you'll be fairly buzzing if you try all the gels suggested.

I've taken these too. They're good in that they're iso and so need no water. But they're much thicker than the high5 iso ones - more of a gel and less of a liquid. Innocuous taste, though :)

Sat - 3 easy
    Sun - rest
    Mon - 6 @7:35
    Tues - last big session!
    5 easy (7:50), 3 Threshold (6:17 :(), 5 easy (7:45), 3 Threshold (6:09 :D), 2 easy (7:55).

I'm not even gonna start about the wind. Got in from work at midnight last night, so pretty tired heading out the door at 9. Hit Tymon as I knew the track wouldn't be open. Tried to find a sheltered spot but no dice.
    Ground them out on a 400m loop and headed to the track, filling in 5 miles on the way. This was much better. It's so much easier to get into a rhythm on a track.

There were 2 lunatics down there doing 2 mile reps at 5:20 pace.

18 for the day @ 7:20 avg. Jesus, 2 days into the week and over half my mileage done. Taper is well and truly underway.

Took an orange High-5 after mile 8. Pretty decent, think I will stick with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

There were 2 lunatics down there doing 2 mile reps at 5:20 pace.

They were meant to be 5:20s but when you train with an animal pre-session plans go out the window. Murder in that wind.

Good session dude.

• Advertisement

Ye were flying, great stuff. No sign of this wind abating!

7.8 recovery last night. Super slow. Got out of work a bit early and planned on 4-6 easy so I headed down to the club for some company. Rest today, session tomorrow which I am going to get 100% right.

Fri - 2e (7:55), 2t (6:07), 2t (6:12), 5e (7:51).

11.1 for the day. Hilarious weather. The threshold stuff was hard; harder than it should have been, but it's done now. I tore off like a madman for the first 400 and suffered because of it.

43 for the week.

Taper week will look like this:
    Mon - 5 easy
    Tues - 0-2 easy
    Wed - 2 easy, 4*1200, 2 easy (or whatever I can hop in on at the track)
    Thur - 7 easy with 1 or 2 MP
    Fri - 4 easy
    Sat - off
    Sun - 4 easy
    Mon - D-DAY

Easy is the key word! Daniels would have me at 38 for the 7 days prior to the race which is too much, I think. P&D has 28 for the plan that tops out at 70MPW, so I went with that kind of mileage, keeping the Daniels T session. No running the last 2 days. Dying to get at it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Paddy

Best of luck come monday. Looking over your training over the last while it has gone really well and you are in great shape. One bit of advice I will give (and it will seem strange considering all the focus on training/fueling/paces etc) Simply enjoy it. We spend so much time training for key races like this that often we are so blinded by the target that we dont realise we run because we love to run and after spending all this time building towards DCM it has become part of life in recent times. The work is there not reap the rewards and enjoy every min of the PB;)

Cheers Ecoli - great advice. Yep, it's purely for the love of the thing so enjoying it is a massive part of racing. Though I don't expect the last 10k to be too pleasant :) Saw you haring around the track during the week, fair play man you were really moving.

Tues - 7.1 w/ 6x 400 (80-90s)
    Wed - 2.2 @ 7:25
    Thurs - 7 w/ 1 MP
    Fri - 4 @7:51
    Sat - off
    Sun - 3 @ 8:39

Well, that's that. Feeling totally knackered. Not much else to say, just dying to get to the start. I felt like muck before my 2 half races too and nailed both of those so I hope this is a similar situation. Paying no attention to the weather forecast. It's beautiful out there now. Got a good group from the club going for sub 3 and was lucky enough to get a pass to the elite starting area so no excuses.

Plan is even splits and leave the fainting until I'm over the line. I don't have a B goal. It's 2:xx:xx or bust.

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Leave it all on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

All the best for tomorrow. Just watch your pace early on if your starting up with the elites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck tomorrow Paddy, I have no doubt you'll smash 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

My tuppance worth!
    Don't go out to SMASH the 3 hours, 2:59:59
    so no quicker than 89:00 at half way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

easy in the 1st half, 1:30:30 will be fine, geographically is a negative split course....so dont worry about time or plan on banking time in the 1st half...if you do that and you run close to the wire, the hot pace and 1st half elevation will catch up with ya....enjoy!

Well, that's that. Feeling totally knackered. Not much else to say, just dying to get to the start. I felt like muck before my 2 half races too and nailed both of those so I hope this is a similar situation. Paying no attention to the weather forecast. It's beautiful out there now. Got a good group from the club going for sub 3 and was lucky enough to get a pass to the elite starting area so no excuses.

Plan is even splits and leave the fainting until I'm over the line. I don't have a B goal. It's 2:xx:xx or bust.

Best of luck tomorrow Paddy.... Love the attitude.... Good quality training done so 6.50 ish all the way to Fosters Avenue and then empty the tank....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of luck morro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

best of luck cwg!

Thanks for all the good wishes lads!

3:01:37 by my watch. That was hard. Head is still spinning. Thought I'd be gutted but I genuinely gave it 100% and just didn't have sub-3 on the day. Pretty happy, these things happen. PB is 3:55 from Conn 08 and Kildare would have been 3:10 or a bit less, so it's a decent chunk off that.

My God, the support along the route... unreal. Dolphin's Barn was amazing. City Centre, Walkinstown and Templeogue too. Fair play to everyone for coming out, it really does make the day special.

Headed out at 6:50's with a clubmate, fell in with the pacers in the park and went through halfway feeling ok. A bit ropey for that early in the race, but I necked another gel and bucked up a bit. At 16 those balloons started to get away from me so I pegged them back over the next mile (tough). Stayed with them through Milltown but lost them in Clonskeagh and that was that.

I was on my own, ploughing up those hills into a headwind and it took its toll. Tried very hard to get back into it on the downhills, but jesus I was tired. 21-24 was a bit of a death march. Me and one other guy really gutted it out here. People were dropping like flies. Thought I had a chance at 3:00:xx and really worked over the last 2 miles. Again, unreal support. Finished strong enough - zero in the tank. Saw ecoli twice along the route - thanks for the encouragement man.

Had a chat with Ava Hutchinson at the end. Think I'm in love :o. She didn't get the A standard but Linda Byrne did.

Great day out. Missed water at 2 stations because for some reason the volunteers were fishing them out of the plastic as we ran past and it was taking ages. Weather was good enough. No excuses, I just didn't have it but I will get there.

Splits:
    6:44
    6:55
    6:50
    6:36
    6:46
    6:49
    6:36
    6:44
    6:34
    6:45
    6:40
    6:52
    6:59
    6:56
    6:42
    7:01
    6:33
    6:37
    6:47
    7:01
    7:10
    6:58
    7:06
    7:26
    7:25
    7:13
    2:38 for .45

6:53 avg.

Looking at that, it was clearly lost in the last 10k. Longer long runs are needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Was that you that threw the cap away just after 15, I was trying to get a pic of as many Tallaght singlets as I could.
    Congrats on the PB, when I was cycling home I could really feel that wind, no doubt you'll smash sub 3 next time.

Great report Paddy....conditions definately played a part IMO..... it was tough out there and u deserve great credit for digging deep and getting through it....giving 100% is all u can ask.....With more favourable conditions ul smash 3 hrs.... Once again well done and enjoy the pints :)

Woddle wrote: »
    Was that you that threw the cap away just after 15, I was trying to get a pic of as many Tallaght singlets as I could.
    Congrats on the PB, when I was cycling home I could really feel that wind, no doubt you'll smash sub 3 next time.

No man, but I know exactly who it was by that description :D. True it was windy enough. Ah brilliant, be nice to get a look at those though we're probably all dying in them!

Hey thanks Liamo, yeah today wasn't the day but it ain't far off! Pints? You read my mind ;) It's been a dry week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hard luck man. Pick yourself up and go again next year. You on for the waterford half marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Unlucky with the sub 3 but still a great performance, well done.

Hiya Paddy, hows d body since? Have u done a recovery jog yet?:D. I just done a swim yesterday.

I got a big blood blister under my right foot. I put 1 of those blister plasters on it & it has stuck, Its very sore & I cant put much weight on it. Tried soaking it for a while but it still isnt coming off. Id say the skin would come off if I tried to pull it off :(

jacquib wrote: »
    Hiya Paddy, hows d body since? Have u done a recovery jog yet?:D. I just done a swim yesterday.

I got a big blood blister under my right foot. I put 1 of those blister plasters on it & it has stuck, Its very sore & I cant put much weight on it. Tried soaking it for a while but it still isnt coming off. Id say the skin would come off if I tried to pull it off :(

How did u get on jacquib ?...

• Advertisement

@ Liamo123

Got 3.25. I cramped @ 23m & couldnt get the breathing right so I walked 2 bout 24m ish, managed to get going again slowly & pick it up a bit towards the end. I havent done the Dublin marathon since 2007 & I forgot how hard the course is. My time then was 3.37 so its a pb 4 the Dublin course :D. My last 2 marathons before monday was Amsterdam & Berlin which are relatively flat courses.

Advertisement