Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

There's plenty to go around :D
    It's definitely on if it all goes well between now and the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

cwgatling wrote: »
    There's plenty to go around :D
    It's definitely on if it all goes well between now and the day.

Hopefully! When I look at one set of figures, I'm convinced I'm going to do it.
    The following day I'm looking at other times and convinced I'll narrowly miss it.

Reminds me of the build up to the Leaving Cert or something!

Haha, I know man. I am the same. It's a killer. And there's still 6 weeks to go!

Just going to try to stay fit and hammer the sessions for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Happy Birthday Paddy, sure ur still only young. You have loads of good running years ahead of you yet:eek:

Eoin is right about the XC race. You could easily injure yourself & you wouldnt want that to happen at this stage. There'l be plenty of XC races after the marathon:D

Thanks Jacqui. Hopefully so. If I can get over this next one I'll be happy. Yep, XC knocked on the head. Next up is 31/10!

8 easy the last 2 days. 7:50 pace. Not feeling the love. Tempo tomorrow, but it's one of the easier ones.

• Advertisement

Plan for today was 2x(20 mins easy, 3 miles tempo). I headed out to the Phoenix Park and had to turn around halfway because I forgot the watch.
    The polo grounds is a brilliant place for this type of run: flat, grass and 1k per lap. The tempos went fine, first mile is always the worst. 6:21 avg for the first 3 and 6:19 avg for the last 3. Legs are tired so it's nice to still be hitting the target paces.

12.2 for the day. Windy enough out but that's par for the course these days.

Wel done Paddy. R u going to do Rathfarnham in the morning with Eoin?

Went out with the guys this morning. I done 23.13m avg pace 7.51 so was happy with that considering as well that I havent had a day off since the day b4 the half mara. So im really looking 4ward to a rest 2moro. Im going to stay in bed & watch the Berlin mara & c if I remember any of the course from last yr :D

That's brilliant going Jacqui, 23 @ 7:50. Once I see 20 on the watch I'm done. Not doing the 5k, though it's a cracker. Enjoy the Berlin footage!

9@7:20 today. Great run. Both sessions for the week are done and the mileage is well under control so this was a no pressure run. Lovely weather and Pavement on the headphones :cool:.

8.3 easy at 7:54.

75.8 miles for the week. Last high mileage one in the plan. Body has held up ok which I am grateful for.
    Looking at the plan, there are only 2 really tough sessions left. 15 mile MP run and one of those T/L/T yokes which will be done early next week.

Good going Paddy.

I logged just over 70miles myself this week which I was happy with. Legs felt grand today after yesterday so thats a good sign. The time was amazing for the men in the Berlin mara today. Although the coverage wasnt great to watch

• Advertisement

Nice one Jacqui, did not realise you were hitting that mileage. It will pay dividends on the big day. Keep an eye on it for the next few weeks - Daniels has 80%, 70%, 70%, 60% for the next 4 weeks which would be 60, 53, 53, 45! It's seriously dropping off.

9 easy today. 7:28 pace. Very enjoyable run, effort was zero. Session planned for Wed.

That was my highest week as I hadnt had a day off as we done the long run sat instead of sun:). I wudnt say I'l do another week like that now with it only being 5wks to the mara:D

Tues - 6 @ 7:38
    Wed - 2 easy, 4x 1 mile tempo off 1 min, 10 miles easy, 4x 1 mile off 1 min, c/d.

These are wicked sessions and I don't think I've ever fully nailed one. Phoenix Park again for this one and I knew it was going to be tough as soon as I stepped outside. Bloody roasting and a strong wind.

2 easy: grand. Covered in sweat after 5 mins.
    Tempos: 6:17, 6:13, 6:12, 6:12. Pretty tough. Jogged back to the car and got a drink.
    10 easy: Almost turned back after 2. Did not feel good at all. Roasting 1 min, freezing the next. The wind seemed to be in my face no matter what way I was running. Gritted the teeth until I got to the car again for another drink. Made up the 10.
    Tempos: 6:21, 6:22. Dying after these, but I was halfway there. 3 was a 6:37 :( Words can't describe how tired I was after this. Halfway through I knew it was going to be the last one and gave it everything to try and get a 6:2x.

Cool down: had to stop in the middle to lie down. Nothing left in the tank. If I hadn't had a bottle of coke in the car I would have slept in the polo grounds.

Bit disappointed I didn't hit the last 1 but you have to know when to call it a day. The wind and the heat played a big part. Also, it just wasn't my day.

20 miles, avg 7:21 pace. That includes a stop at the ice cream van :P

Super going Paddy. I think at this stage we're all feeling tired. We just have to keep telling ourselfs only another 2 weeks of hard training & then we can taper down.:)
    Hope you enjoyed the ice cream, you deserved it :D

Thanks Jacqui, you're right I think. Everyone's a bit wrecked but the miles dropping off should help.

Thurs - 4.5 recovery
    Fri - 5.25 easy.
    Sat - rest

Session tomorrow which I'm looking forward to.

Plan - 1hr easy, 6x 1 mile T pace off 1 min jog, c/d.

Did 8 easy at 7:49 pace and tore into the reps.

6:16
    6:10
    6:09
    6:06
    6:13
    6:08

Pretty tired but I knew on rep 4 that I'd broken the back of it. Glad to get this one right after not nailing the tough midweek one.

Loads of hardy souls out running in the park, great to see. Nice morning for be running too.

15.75 @ 7:16 avg

60.5 for the week.

Well done Paddy. We done nearly 23m this morning. Thats the last longest now til the marathon. 20 next week & the tapering begins :D.
    Went & had a look at the Novice over in the park. Gerry ran well after doing 23m yesterday.
    Are you going to do the club 5m race? Im not, Im going to give them a hand stewarting it

Nice work Jacqui. Yep, 2 more long ones for me. The end's in sight! Good on Gerry would like to have seen that but stuck in work.

Haven't decided yet about the race, it might just fit in to the plan :D

Mon - 6.2 recovery

Tues - 9.4 @8:04. Felt great here. No need to push the pace. Swung by the clubhouse and was talked into doing the 5 miler on Sunday. So that led to...

Wed - 20@7:42. Dreadful day to be out. Howling winds and some very heavy showers. Was seriously questioning my sanity at some points. If the day of DCM is like this I'll be lucky to get 3:20. Had to run in flats because my Kinvaras are shagged.
    Hit the hilly 10 mile loop of Bohernabreena followed by the waterworks and back through Kiltipper. Glad that is over.

Looks like Tuesday is the day for the 15m MP run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

thats great going in that weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

cwgatling wrote: »
    Mon - 6.2 recovery

Tues - 9.4 @8:04. Felt great here. No need to push the pace. Swung by the clubhouse and was talked into doing the 5 miler on Sunday. So that led to...

Wed - 20@7:42. Dreadful day to be out. Howling winds and some very heavy showers. Was seriously questioning my sanity at some points. If the day of DCM is like this I'll be lucky to get 3:20. Had to run in flats because my Kinvaras are shagged.
    Hit the hilly 10 mile loop of Bohernabreena followed by the waterworks and back through Kiltipper. Glad that is over.

Looks like Tuesday is the day for the 15m MP run.

Great stuff CW...... Fab running....Wind, rain and God forbid snow aint going to stop 2.... Ur ready :D

@TBB - thanks man, well done on the 5/3/5/3. There's another one of those left to do!
    @Liamo - haha great stuff, wish I was that sure. Tues will tell a lot.

Rest day yesterday. Wanted to do a short recovery but couldn't fit it in.
    Fri - 7 @ 7:04. Nice run, new shoes. Didn't realise how worn the old ones were.

They wear out fairly quickly when your logging up the miles :D
    So much for not having any more high mileage weeks. We're doing long run tomorrow as the race is Sunday & im stewarting. So after my run tomorrow I'l have logged about 85m for this week. In saying that the legs feel ok. But thats defo the lash high mileage, All downhill from here :eek:

85? You mad yoke. I'm down to 55 this week. See you tomorrow - no abuse from the sidelines now :D

4 easy today. 7:55 pace. Looking forward to tomorrow. Hope to really hammer this one.

Great 5 miler today in Tallaght. Right up there with the likes of Dunshaughlin in terms of organisation, course, value for money etc.

Started bang on time. Conditions were not exactly ideal - seriously windy. I was hoping for sub-29 and had the Garmin on 5:50 pace, planning to hold that for 4 and hammer the last mile.

Splits:
    5:45
    6:01
    5:54
    5:48
    6:04
    0:08

for 29:44. A good minute off what I wanted, but I gave it everything. Miles 2 and 5 were killer: wind and hills. The last mile was hell, it was everything I could do just to hold the pace. Lungs and legs on fire, chest pains, the whole 9 yards. Minor PB over Raheny (30:11).

10.3 @ 6:56 avg for the day.
    57 for the week - a bit high.
    2016 for the year. Pretty funny looking back at previous years. 2009 was 733 miles total, 2010 was 1143!

Wel done today Paddy. We couldnt do anything about the wind. Hopefully on marathon day we'll have very little wind. Dont mind the rain.

It was a good race & hopefully we'll get more numbers next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Solid race today Paddy. not the easiest of course's so definitely more in the tank come Raheny that sub 29 is yours. Sets you up nicely now for Dublin you been running very well man and are well primed for a good run out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

well done in the race, solid enough time, difficult conditions/course.
    i was expecting to be reading about a 15m PMP session though, did you decide on a day for that one?

jacquib wrote: »
    Wel done today Paddy. We couldnt do anything about the wind. Hopefully on marathon day we'll have very little wind. Dont mind the rain.

It was a good race & hopefully we'll get more numbers next year

Thanks Jacqui, yeah agreed on the weather - anything bar wind. Fair play for helping out. Cracking race.
    Solid race today Paddy. not the easiest of course's so definitely more in the tank come Raheny that sub 29 is yours. Sets you up nicely now for Dublin you been running very well man and are well primed for a good run out
    Cheers ecoli, well done yourself man, brilliant time. Would have liked to have seen that finish with Keith. Yeah I think sub-29 is on with a bit more specific training. Fingers crossed for DCM, getting nervous now.
    well done in the race, solid enough time, difficult conditions/course.
    i was expecting to be reading about a 15m PMP session though, did you decide on a day for that one?
    Thanks Seany, ah yeah that session is tomorrow. Did the race instead of that 5/3/5/3 tempo. I'm bloody dreading the PMP, but if I can make it to the end of this week it's easy street. Enjoy yer taper!

5 recovery today 7:40 or 7:50 pace. Pretty dinged up, lots of sore spots.
    15 @ 6:50 tomorrow :(

• Advertisement

Last MP run today. There's a 4 mile loop in the Phoenix Park that's great for these, flat and grassy -> Loop. The only thing is it's really exposed so half of it has a strong headwind. I am so sick of this windy weather. Lovely if you're out for a stroll or something, but jaysus it sucks the life out of me trying to run in it.
    Anyway,

2 mile w/u at 7:44
    15 at 6:45
    1 mile c/d at 7:20

I was not looking forward to this at all, but it was actually ok. Pretty tired come the last mile, but not half as bad as when I did 13 at MP a few weeks back. Good day's work.

Oh yeah, took a powerbar gel. Disgusting. Will have to try something else before the race.

Advertisement