Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the times down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Good going Jacqui, it is not an easy course and I guess 26.2 (or any distance) is not going to be easy if you're racing it.

Did 4x 2mile at T pace off 1 min today. Yeah, right.

I haven't run since. Quads are still killing me and I'm on antibiotics for a chest infection. Just thankful that it held off until after the race! Eager to get back at it though. I am eyeballing the Daniels 10k plan.

@ tunguska - yeah the Waterford Half crossed my mind alright. Great course. Best of luck with the recovery man, that was very unlucky but as you know that tough training will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

cwgatling wrote: »
    @ tunguska - yeah the Waterford Half crossed my mind alright. Great course. Best of luck with the recovery man, that was very unlucky but as you know that tough training will stand to you.

Cool. Hammer is healing nicely, physio said I can try an easy run on monday. I'd say we get stuck into this 10k plan the following week. Good few races on aswell:

Donore harriers 5k - 3rd dec
    Waterford half - 10 dec
    Clonliffe 5 k - 18th Dec
    Fields of anthenry 10k 26th dec(or tallaght ac club race.......distance unknown......as usual).

Then its a hop skip and jump to raheny 5 mile and were back in full swing. Whens that gig on again? I was saying it to a few of the lads and theyre on for going.

Excellent stuff. Yes, dying to get at this 5-10k stuff now. Sounds like we'll have a nice group for it too, brilliant.
    Gig is the 4th Dec upstairs in The Stag's Head with these guys. Sound man, the more the merrier!

Fri - 4 easy
    Mon - 5 easy

Starting to feel a bit better, still pretty dead on the feet though.

4 easy again tonight. Feeling lighter on my feet but the chest is still pretty rotten. Marathon recovery: yawn.

Thurs - 5.3 @ 7:30
    Pushed a bit on this one. Effort is high still but feeling ok.

Will get 5-6 in later too. Doing the Dublin Intermediate XC next weekend so I'll chance a 10k type session on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thurs - 5.3 @ 7:30
    Pushed a bit on this one. Effort is high still but feeling ok.

Will get 5-6 in later too
    . Doing the Dublin Intermediate XC next weekend so I'll chance a 10k type session on Monday.

If you around for it I will do few miles with you this evening. Off work at 4 so any time after that I would be available if ya wanted company?

Yeah, sounds great man! What about an hour between 5 and 6?

Yeah, sounds great man! What about an hour between 5 and 6?

Sounds good to me where you wanna meet the club?

Top man, yeah see you at the club at 5. Cheers.

Top man, yeah see you at the club at 5. Cheers.

See ya then

• Advertisement

Just a heads up lads, they close the outer gate of the gym at 6pm on the button. Best to park in the astro carpark.

tunguska wrote: »
    Just a heads up lads, they close the outer gate of the gym at 6pm on the button. Best to park in the astro carpark.

Cheers man gonna jog down myself just as I have a few extra miles to get in. Take it you still out of action?

Right, did that run with ecoli. Was great, just cruising around chatting. I went on the lash afterwards.
    4 easy Sun morning and had a very cool session planned for the next morning (400, 800, 1200, mile and back down at a tasty pace, all off 400 jog recovery) but when I woke up my hamstring was killing me. Iced, stretched and said I'd postpone the session. Tues it was even worse.

Went to the physio yesterday and he had me diagnosed in 5 minutes: tight piriformis. Probably from doing too much too soon. It was seriously sore getting this done but the hamstring pain is totally gone. The guy's a genius. Got to do 6 easy last night. XC is a gonner. Easy running for the week and another visit Fri - should be ok.

Going to come back really easy from this one. I'm always saying that it doesn't matter how fit/strong/hungry you are if you can't run and it's true. I'm bloody dying to get at the 10k stuff but it will wait a fortnight.

6 easy again this morning. Pain free :D. The body is tired though. Bloody windy out there.

10 easy this evening. This is what it's all about - just knocking around the roads, beautiful weather and incredibly gender-equal, anti-sexist conversation with Tunguska.

Popped down to watch the XC in Tymon. Fair play to all who ran. There were some great battles coming up to the finish line.

10 easy this evening. This is what it's all about - just knocking around the roads, beautiful weather and incredibly gender-equal, anti-sexist conversation with Tunguska.

Popped down to watch the XC in Tymon. Fair play to all who ran. There were some great battles coming up to the finish line.

Hey Im the frickin' poster boy for gender equality. Delighted with the run man, dont want to speak too soon but I think we both could be back in action.
    There was some great racing going on alright. Runner of the day has to go to that lad battling it out with some other guy in the last 20metres. I shout at him: "C'mon dig in, dont give up!" What does he do.........He gives up. Classic.
    Did you check out machine gun on soul train?

Jesus, that was hilarious. I've never seen someone so blatently quit so close to the line. Cracking tune that and great footage :D

Getting back into the training now. Good few 10 milers done and some stuff around 7:20 pace so I am going to try that track session tomorrow morning:
    400, 800, 1200, mile, 1200, 800, 400. Expecting it to be brutal. If anyone's around I'll be on Tallaght AC track at 11 or a little before.

First session since the marathon. Nabbed it from The Self-Coached Runner 36 min 10k plan and extended it a little (he stops at the mile). It was meant to be

2:45
    4:20
    5:55
    2:45

and it turned out as

2:49
    5:56
    4:27
    2:58

So the wheels came off after the mile. The last 400 felt like a 70s lap. Just glad I got through it - after the first 1200 I was making all sorts of deals: longer recoveries, skip the 2nd 1200, adjust pace for wind etc but I just managed to keep at the session as planned.

Not ideal weather. An aul fellah (possibly with a suspect road PB) shot me a look of what can only be described as disgust when I was jogging home :D

9.6 @ 7:12 avg.

Wed - 5 easy (7:42)
    Thurs - 10x 400 at 83 avg off 1 min. 7.3 total.
    Fri - 10 easy (7:56)

Starting to enjoy this craic again. Probably won't race before Christmas though.

Good running Paddy. Love that pyramid session used to do it a fair bit. Solid times considering the wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Wed - 5 easy (7:42)
    Thurs - 10x 400 at 83 avg off 1 min. 7.3 total.
    Fri - 10 easy (7:56)

Starting to enjoy this craic again. Probably won't race before Christmas though.

Hiya Paddy, I take it your not doing Jingle Bells or the Waterford half marathon then :). Im going to do Jingle Bells tomorrow as a speed session as I havnt done much since the marathon apart from the CC in Tymon. C how the legs are:D

@ecoli - it's a great session alright. Once you start the 2nd 1200 you know you've got it licked! Will try it again soon, jump in if you're about.

@jacquib - nah 'fraid not. Will try something early Jan before Raheny (jesus, can't believe how quickly that year went!). How'd you fare in the 5k?

Did 4 easy Sat night after a crazy busy day and had 8 planned for Sun but felt like death warmed up and had a gig that night so I skipped it and dosed up on neurofen. 2 days off work and I'm feeling better. Will do something easy tomorrow night. Bad time of year for training, this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Hiya Paddy, didnt do 2 bad, 19.48 2nd O/40. My last race in that age catagory :D. Im going to do the SDCC in January & then the Dublin Masters CC the week after, then Raheny at the end of the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Hey Paddy,good to see your hitting the sessions again.Don't be rushed into racing,think your right to keep the training goign especially when you are enjoying it and maybe hit a 10k in the new year.

@jacqui - great job. Sub-20 is solid. Looking forward to Raheny myself too!
    @thirstywork2 - thanks man. That is the plan, just keep ticking over and tear into it in Jan.

Been neglecting this log lately but training's been boring enough:

Mon - 9
    Tues - 8
    Wed - 8
    Thurs - 6
    Fri - 4 and 9
    Sat - 6
    Sun - 11

61 for the week, all easy runs. Going to do that pyramid session Tuesday on the track and try to get it right this time.

Mon - 8.5 easy. New loop which is pretty sheltered. No harm 'cos it's windy out there.

Tues - 5 easy. Put off session until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Ticking along nicely, any plans for goal races next year or is it to early to be thinking about that?

Tues - 5 easy. Put off session until tomorrow.

Gonna be 12pm dude, phil has a meeting until then. Might try 2milers instead if 1s. What do you think? 2 x 2 mile + 1 x 1 mile. Same volume but longer intervals. Sure its open to negotiation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Just checking out this log for the first time in a while...Love the look of that Pyramid session- might rob it myself...What rest are you running off?

• Advertisement

@Ronnie - Yes, gonna try to get a 5-10k race in before a sub-29 attempt at Raheny. They might end up just being time trials though, don't see too many races after the first week in Jan. You doing Raheny at all?

@tunguska - 12's perfect! See yis then. Yeah 2 milers will be grand. If I can stay with/near you boys for half that I'll count it as a great session.

@drquirky - it's a brilliant session man, give it a lash. I jog 400m recovery (like 2 mins) between each rep and the book reckons those times (400 in 80s, 800 in 2:55 etc) are good for a 36min 10k!

Advertisement