Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter FI Charts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Min wrote: »
    The weather models are all over the place, look like they are partying in RTE.

The one thing that keeps popping up in the models is the siberian high. One to watch over the next week.....................................;)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

found this on the 3rd page, who needs FI when you have the real thing:D.

back to fantasy land for a moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Mise likes!
    :):rolleyes::)
    gens-0-1-348.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

If your in anyway over exicitabal look away now!
    142097.png

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    142097.png
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:..........:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

uksnowrisk.png

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Right, I'm stepping up my quest to find a snow shovel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Kippure wrote: »
    uksnowrisk.png

:cool:

Holy sh|t :eek: 90 metres of snow :eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Would be nice to have an easterly, similar to the one in the attached image. Pure lake-effect on the east-coast, shower after shower of heavy snow. Pity I wasn't born, anyone know how much snow fell??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

patneve2 wrote: »
    Would be nice to have an easterly, similar to the one in the attached image. Pure lake-effect on the east-coast, shower after shower of heavy snow. Pity I wasn't born, anyone know how much snow fell??

About 8-10 inches in waterford/south kilkenny as i recall. Snowed pretty much all day. Atlantic brought a quick enough thaw after 2/3 days if i remember correctly.

• Advertisement

Was a chart of beauty alright :)

142113.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

wow....will we ever see the likes again I wonder :rolleyes:

fizzycyst wrote: »
    wow....will we ever see the likes again I wonder :rolleyes:

Well we probably surpassed it late nov/eary dec :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

according to my dad ( I was only a wee un at the time so don't really recall too much), but he tells me that this snow event was huge in the south KK area. Drifts so high that only the top of a car abandoned on our road could be seen. But then again, the snow we had recently didn't drift so I guess that makes a difference

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    142097.png

Is this the Siberian express that MT was saying is waiting to leave the station after mid month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

patneve2 wrote: »

That was my favourite ever snow event. Lashed snow here on a Sunday (about 5 inches) and stayed until Friday. Temps not as cold as last December but felt a lot colder. A siberian easterly with serious windchill. Had the week off school (only time ever). As a ten year old life didn't get any better.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

About 8-10 inches in waterford/south kilkenny as i recall. Snowed pretty much all day. Atlantic brought a quick enough thaw after 2/3 days if i remember correctly.
    Yeah, about 25cm and a quick thaw, even the perfect easterly can ultimately be a let down. I can remember it snowing all day and then suddenly that depressing sound of dripping pipes.

Is this the Siberian express that MT was saying is waiting to leave the station after mid month

Yep:), now just to see if it actually comes off

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Would we ever get a really cold burst of air coming from Across the Atlantic ?
    GFS

11012200_0600.gif

11012112_0600.gif

h850t850eu.png

Cold seems to want to hit us from both the East and West !

I know all will change !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'd definately prefer east . .:P For snow possibilities anyway . .:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

A rather slack express to start if it were to come about like that anyway.

gens-0-1-372.png?6
    This would bring decent winds of around 40-50mph to the S coast. IF an easteryly fills that in things could get interesting. But hey , its definitely gonna change alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Iancar29 wrote: »
    gens-0-1-372.png?6
    This would bring decent winds of around 40-50mph to the S coast. IF an easteryly fills that in things could get interesting. But hey , its definitely gonna change alot.

Nice chart man, just eyeballing it for a second it would bring strong easterly winds with heavy snow in the south and southeast spreading all the way up the country. If only we could see these kind of charts 24 hours before an event:rolleyes:

Also take note of a beauty of a Greenland high:)

It would be nice if we start to see these type of charts coming closer to the actual event ,

all eyes down for the last 1/3 of the month !

gens-0-0-336.png?6

Unfortunately these are all control runs far into FI . .but hey, we can dream! and the gfs was showing orgasmic charts in advance of the november cold spell which we never thought would happen . .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Ok guys trend definitely showing in FI here-

MEGA low pressure to the west of Greenland pumps up some serious warm air advection into Greenland resulting in big pressure rises, this is the trigger low for the GH, we won't have a prolonged cold spell without it, good news is it's being consistently shown on the GFS for a good few runs now...

Here we go at t+ 288 hrs -

Rtavn2881.png

This then leads to to this -

h850t850eu.png

This is a good example of an OMEGA block -

gfs-0-372.png?18

Dan :)

I request you stop posting this immediately, you're making me drool . .:P

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

what are the percentage chances of this cold reload??:confused:

ECM and GFS seem very similar to each other at 240hrs:

ECM:
    142317.GIF

GFS:
    142320.png

• Advertisement

what are the percentage chances of this cold reload??:confused:

Quite a high chance at the moment, maybe even greater than 50/50 . ..

Advertisement