Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter FI Charts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

High probability of the Atlantic crashing through sometime next week, will be a welcome change after this boring 'non-weather'. I'm still convinced of an Easterly/NEasterly or two sometime between mid-february and mid-march. The AO index has gone slightly positive and is likely to go moderate to strongly positive (good news for the arctic ice sheet at least), before going negative again sometime after the 10th of Feb or so. I'm still convinced we'll see lying snow before the winter is over...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm afraid there is nothing to suggest a return of a deep freeze this month. the best we can hope for is to get brief periods of a wintry mix in a gusty northwesterly airflow during the first 10-11 days of Februray. The uk met office update has absolutely no mention of a potent northerly, easterly or north easterly airflow developing at any stage during February. obviously they don't forsee the lower heights disappearing further north anytime soon:(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

does this not mean anything?

gfs-0-192.png?6

gfs-0-192.png?6

Gusty and cool SWesterly winds...rain/hail showers on that chart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

gfs-0-192.png?6[/QUO
    Super low heights to the north, no chance of cold:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

how wont that be cold?

how wont that be cold?

The chart is showing west/swerlys bringing average temperatures. The colors on the chart represent upper atmosphere heights. Low heights induce low pressures on the surface. So where the blues and purples are will have low pressure underneath. When we have lows to our north we see winds from the west not condusive for cold at all. To get any decent cold shot we need height rises to our north to get some blocking highs in place to feed in some north easterlys.

The large area of purle to our north in that chart is the polar vortex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The country tracks forecast says the winds from the west on thursday will be of cold origin from Canada so expect wintry showers over Northern Ireland and Scotland.
    He said the end of the week is rather uncertain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

If you're looking for some imaginary FI cold, P7 from the 06z GEFS may interest you!
    T384.png
    T384-850s.png

For those looking forward to very much milder conditions, there P8
    348.png
    t324-2m.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Though i'd post this before it disappears from this afternoons run :pac:

h850t850eu.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The Scandinavian high has shown up on quite a few runs on both the gfs and ecm over the past few days, might actually be some truth in it :pac:

gfs-1-276_ewm6.png

gfs-0-288_otm9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

^^^ bring it on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Gone in the 12z . . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Gone in the 12z . . :(

What is???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The models change too quick to keep up with them.

What's the chance of a cold spell coming back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Its come and gone for the past 3 days on the gfs, wouldnt be too worried yet

ECM 12h still looking good

ECM1-240_mwg5.GIF

ECM0-240_fuj2.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Harps wrote: »
    Its come and gone for the past 3 days on the gfs, wouldnt be too worried yet

ECM 12h still looking good

ECM1-240_mwg5.GIF

But at one stage it was coming and going for 3/4 Feb - and look what we ended up with.

I think this is like what I remember of last winter, from January on to the end of the winter there was always another serious cold snowy spell two weeks distant on the charts, but it never came... until November.

That's how I think the rest of this winter will play out, but I may be proved wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

I think it only came up once or maybe twice for the 3/4 though, hopefully this one comes through for us :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Iancar29 wrote: »
    What is???

sorry i should have said, i meant the charts posted just above my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

that 12z ecm is lush - now if only that was 24 hours out!!

GFS seems to have backed off again (on the cold air coming that far west).

still all to play for though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I never thought id see a chart thats bringing such a strong atlantic storm that the air doesnt have time to be warmed up and it would bring EPIC snow!! 935 my god!!! Its dragging down serious cold air from Greenland!!

epicstorm.png
    interesting2.png

Also just a note regarding MT's hint at a cold outbreak in mid feb. Here is the chart.
    interesting.png

looks impressive :)

The GFS 12Z ensembles are quite poor compared to the 06Z ones...however they change quite rapidly so there still is a bit of hope...

I never thought id see a chart thats bringing such a strong atlantic storm that the air doesnt have time to be warmed up and it would bring EPIC snow!! 935 my god!!! Its dragging down serious cold air from Greenland!!

epicstorm.png
    interesting2.png

IMO, i dont think anywhere in Ireland under 300m would see any snow from that. You need -5 850hpa temps atleast(in a continental airflow), which is barely on that chart. And with long sea track, high humidity , high dewpoints and add in other factors like high wind speeds. For winds with a long sea track like that youd want -10's at 850hpa level

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Could be a nice development for some windy conditions if it were to come about.

ECM1-240.gif

Rtavn961.png

Baten down the hatches as they say:eek:

Although it will probably disappear on the next run. Just like the monster lows they forecast coming up from the continent back in December

Rtavn961.png

Baten down the hatches as they say:eek:

Although it will probably disappear on the next run. Just like the monster lows they forecast coming up from the continent back in December

Wouldn't surprise me if the beast will exist but it seems to want to churn away in the Atlantic and not want to come near us.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if the beast will exist but it seems to want to churn away in the Atlantic and not want to come near us.

Yes you could be right. The high and the low engage in a standoff, with us stuck in no man's land- neither stormy or cold.

Party pooper chart for snowbies. Wish these charts would make their minds up :D

[IMG][/img]partypoop.gif

• Advertisement

anything of interest showing up on the charts ??

Advertisement