Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭smokingman

pdbhp wrote: »

Hmm, lets see...first day purchases:

Resi Revelations
    Super Street Fighter 4
    Mario Kart
    Pilotwings
    Resi Mercenaries

and then maybe Driver 3D.

Gonna have to start saving now for release day...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Im really hoping they go sub €250

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Graphics comparisan SSF4 on Xbox 360 & 3DS (on left)
    3ds-graphics-old-vs-new--20100930095602849.jpg

& comparisan between Resident Evil 5 & Resident Evil Mercanaries 3DS (on left)
    3ds-graphics-old-vs-new--20100930095455179.jpg

Linky to all the goodness

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Other than the noticeable resolution drop and the lack of depth of field (which I hate in games anyway) they look really good. Also if you play in purely 2D mode the jaggies will be smoothed out with anti aliasing.

I'm kind of disappointed that Boy and his Blob on the 3DS turned out to be false but at least we have a new Paper Mario to demonstrate how good the 3D effect is in 2D games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Other than the noticeable resolution drop and the lack of depth of field (which I hate in games anyway) they look really good. Also if you play in purely 2D mode the jaggies will be smoothed out with anti aliasing.

I'm kind of disappointed that Boy and his Blob on the 3DS turned out to be false but at least we have a new Paper Mario to demonstrate how good the 3D effect is in 2D games.

Bummer that it's not coming out but I'm sure there'll be a hefty line up of quality games to play.
    And again I'm going to put it out there just incase Nintendo are listening. Please make a Custom Robo Arena 3DS:D

• Advertisement

New article on IGN about 3DS anti piracy firmware
    DS is great for a lot of things, but fighting piracy isn't one of them. With the 3DS, Nintendo may be stepping up its fight against piracy through a more robust firmware update system.

During an investors Q&A session earlier this week, CEO Satoru Iwata alluded to a more robust PSP-style firmware update system, where new firmware updates can be included with games. Additionally, Iwata said that Nintendo is looking into the possibility of automatic firmware updates through the system's SpotPass download system.

In case you missed the myriad of 3DS announcements earlier this week, SpotPass is an automated download system through which the 3DS seeks out Wi-Fi hot spots and downloads rankings, demos and other content, all while the system is in sleep mode.

The more robust firmware system would not be in place just to combat piracy, Iwata said. Nintendo also hopes to introduce new features through firmware updates, and they hope that a simpler update system would help get the firmware, and therefor the new features as well, into the hands of more users.

Read more: http://ie.ds.ign.com/articles/112/1124753p1.html#ixzz117NGlaZU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I still need to know if it's region free ornot, it's the deal breaker for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I looked at the 3DS videos can't wait for it now.I want nearly all the titles announced,even the Metal Gear game even when i'm not a fan of the series.What I am wondering is whats that Charging dock thing in the Videos.If its to Charge the 3DS Battery why do they clearly put it in Sleep mode.I'd like to be excited with the whole online capabilities but I haven't got the internet.Game Boy Colour shop could be class if they throw in GBA games aswell.

New article about 3DS specs seems that i's not capable of running unreal engine making it less powerful than the iphone
    Source

Nintendo's 3DS will unlikely be able to support Epic's Unreal Engine according to comments from the company's VP Mark Rein.

Speaking at GDC Online, Rein told Joystiq that Epic wasn't currently working on the 3DS. "It's below our [minimum specifications], from what we can tell," he said, "We don't have a 3DS, so there's no way for us to verify that. but everything we've been led to believe is that it's below our min-spec. You couldn't do a game that looks like [Epic Citadel] on it, for example."

Epic Citadel is a recently released tech demo for the iPhone, showing Unreal Engine running well on the device.

Epic's Mark Rein admitted that the company had yet to receive a 3DS dev kit, but added "I think if [Nintendo] considered that our engine would be good on it, they would have probably talked to us about it."

While Nintendo's 3DS may not be able to run the Unreal Engine its visuals are still likely to impress, as our comparison gallery shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭smokingman

pdbhp wrote: »
    New article about 3DS specs seems that i's not capable of running unreal engine making it less powerful than the iphone
    Source

This guy is historically a troll - my bet is he's waiting for Ninty to give him a dev kit and wants to stir a bit. Looking at the already released pics, do you really think they look less powerful than an iphone? Also consider how much extra processing power it takes to build the 3-d part.

• Advertisement

smokingman wrote: »
    This guy is historically a troll - my bet is he's waiting for Ninty to give him a dev kit and wants to stir a bit. Looking at the already released pics, do you really think they look less powerful than an iphone? Also consider how much extra processing power it takes to build the 3-d part.

Agree. The guy likes to stir things up occasionally and the 3DS is gonna own the iPhone in all aspects obviously not as a phone but as a handheld gaming device.
    They probably have similar power because the iPhone has the OS to run and all the phone software aswell whereas the 3DS can use all its power solely for sweet games.
    Regardless of the actual specs of the 3DS it's gonna be the best handheld console ever as the launch lineup is designed to obliterate the competition.

Launch day shooter coming to 3DS called Omega Five. No screens as yet and very little info but the more games at launch day the merrier!
    Source
    3DS's burgeoning release line-up has got a very welcome addition in the shape of Omega Five, a side-scrolling shooter from Harvest Moon developer Natsume.

Omega Five might sound familiar to Xbox Live Arcade dwellers; the game first launched over there at the start of 2008 and won plaudits for its no-nonsense take on dual-stick arcade shooting. It was also a damn pretty game to boot, a facet we're hoping the 3DS version can stay faithful to.

There's little else revealed in the news that came via Famitsu – picked up by lovers of everything DS Tiny Cartridge – so peruse our review as we await more concrete details
    And the video of the XBLA version if it's anything like this it's gonna rule!

I really liked Omega Five on the 360. Hope there's more scrolling shooters but twin stick shooters are getting old. I want Gradius VI!!!!

I really liked Omega Five on the 360. Hope there's more scrolling shooters but twin stick shooters are getting old. I want Gradius VI!!!!

didn't realise it was a twin stick shooter they're gonna have to do something about the controls on it then or it'll tank big time

I'm sure it will be a completely new game. Natsume is pretty damn nifty at making 16 bit style games so I trust this will be good.

Well thats good then as I wouldn't want this fine console ruined by some pile of sh1t game ported from a console with alternative controls tacked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

smokingman wrote: »

When he says below spec, he means that the GPU is not sufficiently programmable to work with UE3. It's an issue of architecture. UE3 requires DX9/ES2 level of programmable shaders. 3DS doesn't have programmable shaders at all.

As for power, though, 3DS probably is less powerful than a iPhone 4 at least, even with the sharing of resources with the OS. The level of shading complexity in Epic Citadel may not be hugely beyond the best stuff seen so far on 3DS, but its resolution and texture quality is far higher for example. The iPhone 4 GPU is quite powerful.

Does it mean 3DS won't have really nice looking games? Of course not. But technically I don't have too much of a problem with Rein's comment. He probably is correct.

Well if he isn't being a troll then I doubt it's a shader problem. Shaders can easily be disabled and not used since it's basically a more advanced bump map placed over the texture. I don't see any reason why it couldn't work since it looks like Capcoms Framework MT engine (which I think is much better than Unreal) is working just fine.

Althought the capcom 3DS engine could be a modified Resi 4 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Well if he isn't being a troll then I doubt it's a shader problem. Shaders can easily be disabled and not used since it's basically a more advanced bump map placed over the texture. I don't see any reason why it couldn't work since it looks like Capcoms Framework MT engine (which I think is much better than Unreal) is working just fine.

Althought the capcom 3DS engine could be a modified Resi 4 engine.

Programmable shaders are used to do a lot more than bump mapping. They cover the entire rendering pipeline.

It's not that Epic couldn't make an engine for 3DS. But when they're looking at platforms to invest in with UE3 support, they have certain criteria, including certain architectural requirements. They won't invest in a bespoke engine for one platform only unless they believe it represents a long-term trend that will show up across platforms. Support for fixed function architectures is not something that they seem very keen on, and in fairness, few platforms are still using that kind of approach.

Well you'd probably know more about it than me. I was speculating. He does seem to have it in for nintendo everytime they bring out a new system. I think he did say before that Unreal tech 2 was impossible on the PS2 only for Ubisoft to convert the Splinter Cell games to it (with awful framerates).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

LookingFor wrote: »
    When he says below spec, he means that the GPU is not sufficiently programmable to work with UE3. It's an issue of architecture. UE3 requires DX9/ES2 level of programmable shaders. 3DS doesn't have programmable shaders at all.

As for power, though, 3DS probably is less powerful than a iPhone 4 at least, even with the sharing of resources with the OS. The level of shading complexity in Epic Citadel may not be hugely beyond the best stuff seen so far on 3DS, but its resolution and texture quality is far higher for example. The iPhone 4 GPU is quite powerful.

Does it mean 3DS won't have really nice looking games? Of course not. But technically I don't have too much of a problem with Rein's comment. He probably is correct.

i cant see the 3ds being less powerful than an iphone 4 in terms of 3d visuals as that is really all the 3ds is built to do play games

Konami confirms 3DS lineup for europe
    here
    Here's the press release
    Four of the Best for Nintendo 3DSTM
    KONAMI brings new versions of classics titles to new Nintendo handheld in Europe, including Metal Gear Solid, Pro Evolution Soccer and Contra...

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has announced details of its first titles for the new Nintendo 3DSTM handheld system for release across Europe.

The publisher has confirmed its support for the new hardware with four new titles, including the Hideo Kojima-developed Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater; a new Pro Evolution Soccer title; classic run'n'gun shooter, Contra and perennial favourite, Frogger.

Interest in all four titles is already soaring following their overseas announcement, and KONAMI will be releasing further information on the four titles in the coming months. "We are delighted to confirm that KONAMI has four major titles in development for Nintendo's 3DS system," offered Kunio Neo, President for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. "The chance to explore popular franchises such as Metal Gear Solid, Pro Evolution Soccer, Contra and Frogger within a 3D realm is an exciting opportunity, and we cannot wait to share more news in the coming months."

Super Street Fighter 4:
    At last month's Nintendo Conference press event in Japan, Capcom provided details on Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition's StreetPass functionality. Today, it tackled another area of the game: controls.

3D Edition will make use of the system's touch screen to make moves a bit easier to pull off. You'll be able to assign special moves and button combinations to four panels, which can be tapped like hot keys. The game allows you to assign everything from Ultra Combo motions to repetitive button press motions like Chun-Li's Lightning Kick. You can even assign all three punch or kick buttons to a panel.

Previously, producer Yoshinori Ono told the Japanese press that the game would offer pro and simple controls. It looks like Capcom is thinking of everyone when it comes to the controls for this latest portable Street Fighter.

super-street-fighter-iv-3d-edition-20101015011038564.jpg
    Attendees at the Nintendo Conference previously reported on the hot key panel feature, as it was present in the demo version that was shown at the event. The event demo also showed off a new behind-the-back viewpoint, which Capcom has yet to officially comment on.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition is due for Japanese release in Spring 2011. That seems to be the placeholder date for the 3DS's launch titles, so it's possible the game will be available simultaneous with the system.

Well this could be a good thing making difficult moves like Guile and Blankas Ultra II do-able on a pad but will ultimately take away from the game as total noobs will be able to do all the moves:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I'm a "noob" ... but I really liked street fighter...now I won't totally suck at it :P

Moved to games.

I'm a "noob" ... but I really liked street fighter...now I won't totally suck at it :P

Well then this will be just up your street then. It's a good ides due to the limitations of the d-pad / analogue slider and will make the game more accessable to the younger generation who may not have played the previous itterations of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

The list of games announced for this is getting ever bigger and more interesting. THQ apparently three titles in the works, one of which is de blob.

I wonder how many games will be available at launch, lot of people betting big on the 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Moved to games.

Why, of threads that should be in the consoles forum itself and not games i'd say this would be one.

Varik wrote: »
    Why, of threads that should be in the consoles forum itself and not games i'd say this would be one.

They're trying to stream line the threads and get general game discussion into the game thread, thus making this thread more "alive" as the console threads have been getting less traffic as of late and this should make it all the smoother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Hmmmm I'm not opposed to the idea entirely but the actual result is that this tread about a new piece of Ninty hardware is likely to drop off the first page in a day or two meaning many people simply wont find it and might start a new thread.

Aside from that if I were to look for a thread relating to the 3DS, as a piece of forthcoming hardware the first place I'd look would be the Nintendo forum not the games forum.

Advertisement