Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options
  • 09-09-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So I can see people are not too excited about Nintys new handheld on here at all.
    Everywhere else on the net people are all talk about it non-stop!
    Some people are even saying that its power is nearing the Wii and better than Sonys psp(go).
    It may be just a handheld but its a pretty big step in gaming I feel.
    Ninty will be releasing full details on release prices and other details on the 29th Sept but everyones speculating about games, colours, chargers, prices etc.
    I personally cant wait for it to come out. Hope its out before Xmas and Resident evil and MGS are launch titles.

Whats going on boards? lol
    So are people in Ireland/boards excited about it?
    Do you think Sony or M$ will come out with a 3d device next years at E3 for competition?

PS: no harm in having a chat/speculating about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You missed the hype train. Plenty of people excited about it and I'll be very surprised if it isn't the fastest selling console ever when it's released. TGS is in a week or two, we'll see a lot more there and a lot more excited people again.

I'll be squealing with excitement if there's any shin megami tensei announcements for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

lol i was there for the hype train when it was announced. Just seems very quiet at the moment. I guess i just cant wait to find out more about it.

I feel ninty will release it for xmas as the DSi is being really advertised to hell on telly at the moment to get as many sales as possible before the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There was a lot of coverage around E3, but it has really died down now. Nintendo aren't really doing anything to keep the hype machine going. The last official media from them was the E3 trailers in June.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't wait to get a cheap DS lite and DSi when it's released :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm really looking forward to it too. But as people have said there hasn't been much in the media since E3. Just waiting to hear more, mainly the release date.

I expect the release date for Europe to be 2011 and not in time for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I've a feeling this is going to be like the current deluge of 3D movies though, just 3D for the sake of it. Plus a lot of old games remade in 3D. I hope i'm proved wrong.

But if they make mario galaxy 3D i am sold!!

Well you could be right, the DS took a whole year before we started to get good games on it.I'm just hoping there isn't such a long wait for quality software but there's bound to be something good considering the amount of support the 3DS is going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I for one am extremly excited about it but am afraid to speak the words 3DS just incase I jinx it and it never comes our or worse still get my hopes up like I did for the PSP which blows big time and has totally made me paronoid about new systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

..I'm excited about it....but ...I know I won't be able to get it as soon as it comes out so...*trying to forgot about it* :p

Also, still awhile yet before it's release, right? Next year like ....

Ah now the PSP is great, it's the new saturn. Nothing but rather excellent niche games getting released on it as it goes through it's deaththroes.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah now the PSP is great, it's the new saturn. Nothing but rather excellent niche games getting released on it as it goes through it's deaththroes.

Disagreement on this one Retr0 as a PSP owner since 2005 I've had nothing but let downs with this system which is a great shame because it had the potential to kick ass big time but Sony and thier stupidity and blatent refusal to support the system properly has really put me off Sony.
    That said if they come up with a new PSP 2 which is totally awesome then I'll be first in the queue to buy it.

Well the last few games I've bought say otherwise. Y's Seven, Valkyria Chronocles 2, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Jeanne D'Arc. Loads of fantastic games on it that have absolutely no chance of selling well but will keep me and the hardcore happy. There's plenty more to come but if you don't like niche japanese games and RPGs then I can see the PSP being terrible for you. My main complaint isn't the lack of game on the system, since there's plenty of wonderful ones, it's that it's a horrible system to use. Load times, crap battery life, awful controls. I always end up choosing my DS over it.

Well the last few games I've bought say otherwise. Y's Seven, Valkyria Chronocles 2, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Jeanne D'Arc. Loads of fantastic games on it that have absolutely no chance of selling well but will keep me and the hardcore happy. There's plenty more to come but if you don't like niche japanese games and RPGs then I can see the PSP being terrible for you. My main complaint isn't the lack of game on the system, since there's plenty of wonderful ones, it's that it's a horrible system to use. Load times, crap battery life, awful controls. I always end up choosing my DS over it.

Also Metal gear peace walker is a sweet game. Not a bif JRPG fan I do play them but they're not my cup of tea the issue with load times and battery life is a huge problem also. Gran Turismo PSP is the death knell for the system for me I waited 5 years for that game and when it came out it wasn't as promised and sucked big time and from then on I've been anti PSP and also anti Sony.
    I nearly always play my DS instead of PSP aswell but whats gettin me excited/nervous is the impending release of the 3DS which is gonna rule the handheld market

Just to add that the game I most want to come out for the 3DS is a new Custom Robo Arena now anyone who's played it on the DS will know that it is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Just a heads up that the release date of the 3ds will be announced on sept ember 29 :)

Latest info on the 3DS from ign
    Right here

5 more days and we'll get the prices and release dates! WooHOO!

Hope they dont just announce Japans release date and price.

I'm just hoping the console isn't region locked. If it is I'llhave to get a US machine and probably a Jap one if a hack isn't found.

I hope its locked as i'm sure it will be.
    Someone will unlock it i'm sure in prob 2/3 years time, but i dont mind paying for the high profile games coming out for the next while.

I think you misunderstood me because there's no way anyone would want the system region locked.

Region Locking means that if you have a european system you can't play japanese or american games meaning if the DS was region locked then you would have had access to Osu Tatakae Ouendan, SMT Strange Journey, Devil Survivor or a whole slew of some of the systems best games. A handheld (or even a console) shouldn't be region locked.

I think you misunderstood me because there's no way anyone would want the system region locked.

Region Locking means that if you have a european system you can't play japanese or american games meaning if the DS was region locked then you would have had access to Osu Tatakae Ouendan, SMT Strange Journey, Devil Survivor or a whole slew of some of the systems best games. A handheld (or even a console) shouldn't be region locked.

Region locking blows big time!
    The 3DS is probably going to be region locked in an effort to combat piracy which is rubbish, the main thing I like about handhelds is the ability to play games from any region without any fuss.

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    Region locking blows big time!
    The 3DS is probably going to be region locked in an effort to combat piracy which is rubbish, the main thing I like about handhelds is the ability to play games from any region without any fuss.

This is what i mean, Nintendo lost a lot of money due to piracy on the DS so i'm sure they will region lock it.

But as i said, someone somewhere will figuer out a way to unlock it after release i'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

What does region locking have to do with piracy?

Traditionally it was done because regional divisions of these companies would lose out on money because people would just import the (cheaper) foreign version. It had nothing to do with piracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

This is what i mean, Nintendo lost a lot of money due to piracy on the DS so i'm sure they will region lock it.

But as i said, someone somewhere will figuer out a way to unlock it after release i'm sure.

As fat as I know it's usually publishers etc. who want region locking, there's little benefit to Nintendo that I can see for them region locking the 3DS.

But the only ones that want region locking are the small japanese publishers. It's really annoying like on the 360 there's some excellent small games out in japan but they are region locked because the small developers don't want to affect their chances of a western publisher picking up their game. However the games usually never pick up a publisher and so they are just shooting themselves in the foot since they are just reducing their sales since these are niche titles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Actually getting giddy about this one.
    Have to decide though, whether to go with the 3DS or the Kinect, and I'm leaning towards the 3DS, no pun intended!

As for region protection, they will probably make it optional, if include it at all, Ninty doesn't region protect their handhelds, not up to now anywho.

Anyways, lets go Nintendo, tell how much the rrp will be, then I'll soon enough find out what the thieves on the interweb and ebay are going to try to fleece me for!

I wonder if anyone here had folk in Japan?
    Someone thats buying one anyway?
    Someone that could get me one too?????
    Please?

DSi and DSiware were region protected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

DSi and DSiware were region protected though.

Dsiware is region protected, as are Dsi-specific carts (afaik), but for normal DS games the DSi isn't region protected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The only thing that's exciting me is the hope that I can get loads of DS games on the cheap once it's released. I'll definitely get the 3DS at some point but can see myself waiting about a year or for the first price drop at least when it will then have a far better selection of games

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A German paper is reporting that it'll be out in Japan on November and Europe next Spring at a price of around 200 euros. It also said Ocarina of Time, Professor Layton and Mario Kart would be launch titles. Could be just nonsense reporting but good to see theres speculation now happening, good for the anticipation :P

2 days and we'll find out I guess, well about Japan's date anyway.

• Advertisement

I'd say it willbe about 200 euro in japan but Nintendo will up the price to 250 euro/dollars like they did with the Wii.

Advertisement