Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Helix wrote: »
    if youre going back to ireland youll need to buy your games from the states for them to work though
    thats no problem,ill get them off that website video somthing,dam cant remember the name of it now...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

videogamesplus.ca i think is the one with the best prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Axelmusic also ship import games from within the eu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

does it still work out cheaper these days?

have customs not tightened the noose a little on importing from outside the eu?

I'm still importing games all the time and customs haven't caught me once. I think there's a limit anyway and the pirce of what you import has to be over it before they can charge you import duty. Think it's around 80 euros.
    Mr. K wrote: »
    Is there no workaround for the region lock?

None so far.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm still importing games all the time and customs haven't caught me once. I think there's a limit anyway and the pirce of what you import has to be over it before they can charge you import duty. Think it's around 80 euros.

None so far.

i think its around 25 acutally

i used to import like a bugger when i was in ireland, and only ever got stung for money twice. same with over here in canada, i get lots of stuff from abroad that i should be paying duty on, but only ever had to pay a couple of times. well worth it

as long as customs are grand then there shouldnt be an issue anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

videogamesplus.ca i think is the one with the best prices
    thats the one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

8d91c7ff-e9e5-4938-a12c-40cce62cdca7.gif

This is the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. Sorry if it's repost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

That's 118 euro:)

Just did a pre-order test on amazon.com and when you add international delivery (no super saver option) and import tax & duties it brings the price up to 171 euros:(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Think it's around 80 euros.

Lol, I wish. €22.

If you go regular mail with small packets the chances of getting done are small, if you use a courier though they'll always hit you cause then they can charge you an extra ~€10 for the "service" of taking more money from you in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well as I said I've been importing for years now and recently have been importing lots of DS games to catch up before they become rare and have never once been caught by customs. I never use a courier just regular mail.

• Advertisement

Just did a pre-order test on amazon.com and when you add international delivery (no super saver option) and import tax & duties it brings the price up to 171 euros:(

yank price is always ex taxes too

so you need to add on around 12% to any list price

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jesus, I wish they would release some new games for this. Preferably good ones. I have Zelda and Ghost Recon and the rest look poop. Where are the games???????

Grayditch wrote: »
    Jesus, I wish they would release some new games for this. Preferably good ones. I have Zelda and Ghost Recon and the rest look poop. Where are the games???????

ea came out during the week and said that the 3ds offered very poor returns. sounded like they werent arsed moving ahead with development of new titles on it beyond those already started

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm asking a genuine question here, but why would you launch a new console without killer apps? Why wouldn't you do "best foot forward"?

Like being out the overpriced/undergamed PS3 didn't work for Sony. You should have 3 big games; or c'mon, at least two. Not a port brought out down the road. IMO they should've held off until that new Mario and actually new Resi game was ready to go and bundle them. Or that Starfox game; or Kid Icarus. SOMETHING new and awesome!

I imagine early adopters are by and large hardcore gamers? i.e. the ones who've likely played OoT before? Like it wouldn't be a MAJOR selling point?

I LOVE Nintendo but they've screwed themselves with not putting their massive profits back into their company to bring out more big AAA titles; and they're paying for it now.

It worked for the PS2, having no killer app that is.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm asking a genuine question here, but why would you launch a new console without killer apps? Why wouldn't you do "best foot forward"?

they got complacent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm debating as to which meme/cliché to opt for, would a "Zing!" or a "Dis gon' be gud" be more appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Indeed, it was a good while before I got a PS2 game that I found really compelling...probably Onimusha, which came out about eight months after the console!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

so how did the ps2 sell? dvd playback? :confused:

jaykhunter wrote: »
    so how did the ps2 sell? dvd playback? :confused:

Good question! DVD playback must have been factor. There was also less choice back in 2000, so everyone knew the PS2 would deliver.

People are less inclined to buy premium products these days. The world isn't really sold on the whole 3D thing either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There was also less choice back in 2000, so everyone knew the PS2 would deliver.

In regards to DVD playback or videogaming?

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    In regards to DVD playback or videogaming?

Both! I actually meant videogaming (since the PSone was dominating the market), but it was the time when people began to move from VHS to DVD. As a result, many decided to kill two birds with one stone and buy a PS2. Which, if I recall correctly, cost £380 at launch!

PS2 sold on brand name and DVD playback helped as well, even though the PS2 before the slim line was far and away the worse DVD player ever released.

Also people forget that the DS had a similarly lacklustre launch line up with only a fairly crappy port of Mario 64. The first decent games on the system were Meteos followed by Castlevania a good few months after release.

Also people forget that the DS had a similarly lacklustre launch line up with only a fairly crappy port of Mario 64. The first decent games on the system were Meteos followed by Castlevania a good few months after release.

Exactly. People have gotten spoiled by the output of good games in recent years, they've forgotten that sometimes a system takes time to hit its stride.

I kinda liked Mario 64 DS though, aside from the controls...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Exactly. People have gotten spoiled by the output of good games in recent years, they've forgotten that sometimes a system takes time to hit its stride.

I kinda liked Mario 64 DS though, aside from the controls...

yup, but you would think, that after so many fails with launch games they would learn a thing or two.

people did not got spoiled, they just cant understand how the person who steped in ****, does that again and again, when **** did not changed it structure or location.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

PS2 sold on brand name and DVD playback helped as well, even though the PS2 before the slim line was far and away the worse DVD player ever released.

the ps2 was a godawful dvd player alright, you couldnt even fast forward more than 2x iirc, yet the ps3 is one of the best bluray players around, guess they learned their lesson.

it wasnt until Gran Turismo 3 that the ps2 got its first big title really, the launch games were pretty dismal from what I remember.

krudler wrote: »
    it wasnt until Gran Turismo 3 that the ps2 got its first big title really, the launch games were pretty dismal from what I remember.

Tekken Tag and Timesplitters were good launch titles, but hardly mindblowing. GT3 didn't come out til the following July...Mario 3D is out in November...quite a similar timescale there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

with this price cut coming next month (EU is actually getting the cut right?) il be buying a 3ds, never played zelda OOT so that should be good, any good rpg's out or coming soon for it?

with this price cut coming next month (EU is actually getting the cut right?) il be buying a 3ds, never played zelda OOT so that should be good, any good rpg's out or coming soon for it?

usa only atm.

• Advertisement

Europe will get the cut soon enough, I'd say. OoT is reason enough to get one if you've never played it before!

Here's a list of upcoming games (that have been announced): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

Advertisement