Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

No way am I getting this.. Rang GAME there its 260euro without a game and 295euro with a game and all games are priced at 50euro?.. Are you actually serious?.. There online site has it priced at 220euro when you convert.. Why would I pay an extra 40euro on top of that?.. Not going to happen!!
    I preordered with GAME too, NOT impressed with their bundle deal (you can get a game for 35 quid if you buy the 3DS for 260 but only 6 are in this 'deal', the games i'd want - ssIV and maybe pilotwings - are 45 I think the fella said) BUT it's a competitive business, so I would say to anyone unhappy with this to talk to a manager and tell them you're unhappy ... they're usually pretty good about price-matching, and if you can tell them about other deals that you know are out there ... they just might help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

My 3DS order on Amazon was dispatched a half hour ago. They estimate it will arrive on the 28th :-(
    Lucky.
    They dispatched the screen protector but not the system for me today.
    lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Gamestop are apparntly 270...or 280 with a game, anyone confirm this? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That's deffenetly new. As when I was cancelling it, it was: 280 quid for 3rds alone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

280 with street fighter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

That's deffenetly new. As when I was cancelling it, it was: 280 quid for 3rds alone

When did you cancel it? :O

Their site bundle is 269.99 with any game, my mum asked them for details in store and said instore = 269.99 on it's own or +10 for a game. with 10 euro off any further titles.

Just hoping that wasn't a mistake/confusion....:confused:

280 with street fighter!
    not all games? :) someone else posted that the offer was for all games on their facebook....:)

When did you cancel it? :O

Their site bundle is 269.99 with any game, my mum asked them for details in store and said instore = 269.99 on it's own or +10 for a game. with 10 euro off any further titles.

Just hoping that wasn't a mistake/confusion....:confused:

not all games? :) someone else posted that the offer was for all games on their facebook....:)

I would not worry about it. It was good few weeks ago. Just after price announcement. I bet they got cancelations so they made that new offer. Nintendo did not set price and let retailers decide, ofc retailers being greedy bastords chanced it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

elWizard wrote: »
    BUT it's a competitive business, so I would say to anyone unhappy with this to talk to a manager and tell them you're unhappy ... they're usually pretty good about price-matching, and if you can tell them about other deals that you know are out there ... they just might help you.

Just a blunt heads up to everyone from someone in the know; there isn't a hope in hell that you'll get a price match in that store you ordered from. Said store don't have a price match policy (except on trade-in values), and will only reduce the console price if they're being horrifically under-cut (which most likely won't happen).

My advice to anyone picking up a 3DS on release day would be to wait until at least midday before you grab yours - if there's any price reduction on the console due to stores matching prices (eg HMV reduce price because Game are cheaper), it'll be done in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

The 3d on it is pretty impressive. Xtravision where giving the first 100 people a free game at the midnight launch but feck all people turned up so they gave my mom and sister a free 3DS game each which was nice. Only played street fighter so far. They got the 3DS and 3 games for €270 which was a good deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 cm0123

Well I've lived here long enough to stop comparing UK prices to everything I buy but the 3DS launch is impossible to ignore.

A mate at home has just picked one up for £175. I walk past GameStop and they are offering one for €199 IF you trade in your DS Lite and Two Games!!! Er...thanks but no thanks.

The cheapest seems to be HMV for €250, but it's still a huge increase. I think you get the €20 HMV voucher with that as well at least.

Notorious wrote: »
    Just a blunt heads up to everyone from someone in the know; there isn't a hope in hell that you'll get a price match in that store you ordered from. Said store don't have a price match policy (except on trade-in values), and will only reduce the console price if they're being horrifically under-cut (which most likely won't happen).

My advice to anyone picking up a 3DS on release day would be to wait until at least midday before you grab yours - if there's any price reduction on the console due to stores matching prices (eg HMV reduce price because Game are cheaper), it'll be done in the morning.
    You have a lot more than a hope in hell. I bought mine in GAME this morning. Console was 260 and I got SFIV for 20 with it, so 280. They just stuck a generic -25.00 onto my receipt to bring the price down. This was after I told them about the Xtravision and Gamestop deals. Just let them know that you're willing to walk away - if they want your business, make them compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

5558443976_d8d6785636_b.jpg

Got all this for 220 euro not bad if you guys where smart you would have picked up 12 copys of metroid other m for 147.50 in game there a good few weaks back and traded them in to gamestops around the place ond you would have got about 365 euro to use in store then i had my 20 euro pre book

That made it 385 euro then i added 50 or so euro today and i got a 3DS four 3DS games and one DS game

When you can pick up a game for 12 euro in game and trade it in for 30 euro in gamestop use it to buy your self cheap games

I have not paid the full 45 euro for a new game in a long time thanks to buy a game one place and tradeing it in to makeing the game cheaper

5558443976_d8d6785636_b.jpg

Got all this for 220 euro not bad if you guys where smart you would have picked up 12 copys of metroid other m for 147.50 in game there a good few weaks back and traded them in to gamestops around the place ond you would have got about 365 euro to use in store then i had my 20 euro pre book

That made it 385 euro then i added 50 or so euro today and i got a 3DS four 3DS games and one DS game

When you can pick up a game for 12 euro in game and trade it in for 30 euro in gamestop use it to buy your self cheap games

I have not paid the full 45 euro for a new game in a long time thanks to buy a game one place and tradeing it in to makeing the game cheaper
    oh god your metroid story again..... i heard it like 500 times on boards.ie lol

i was in gamestop picking up crysis, so the fella showed me ridge racer on 3ds. the 3d works super, i was surprised as hell, but the game it self was **** and looked terrible. i get same level of visuals on my iphone...

i know 3ds is not about visuals, and gameplay is more important, butnow i know i wll deffo skip first gen 3ds... will see how will the game libary expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got mine in HMV this morning. The 3D is pretty tough on the eyes. It's fine when there's not much happening on screen and only a couple of things to focus on, but when there's a lot going on - like in Pilotwings - it becomes very tough to focus on anything, the effect is lost and I've already started turning it off. :(

oh god your metroid story again..... i heard it like 500 times on boards.ie lol

i was in gamestop picking up crysis, so the fella showed me ridge racer on 3ds. the 3d works super, i was surprised as hell, but the game it self was **** and looked terrible. i get same level of visuals on my iphone...

i know 3ds is not about visuals, and gameplay is more important, butnow i know i wll deffo skip first gen 3ds... will see how will the game libary expand.

But more people need to no about it !!!!! LOL

But i think Ridge Racer plays very well i know it doesint look the best but it plays very well and the 3D is great in it

But more people need to no about it !!!!! LOL

But i think Ridge Racer plays very well i know it doesint look the best but it plays very well and the 3D is great in it

i think boards lads will chip in and buy you anather 12 copies, so they would not need to hear it again lol :p

ridge racer looks less dumped down version of first one. nintendo will be making mediocore games with flashy names and 3D!!!!!111!!111!!!!111

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Got mine in HMV this morning. The 3D is pretty tough on the eyes. It's fine when there's not much happening on screen and only a couple of things to focus on, but when there's a lot going on - like in Pilotwings - it becomes very tough to focus on anything, the effect is lost and I've already started turning it off. :(

Just a small little pointer. The thing about 3d is that your eyes need to adjust to it. Be patient with it, expose your eyes to the 3d in tiny increment at a time and in time they should adjust. :)

Thats for sure you need to get used to it because the 1st thing i used my 3D tv i hurt my eyes a bit but now its like notting to me but i will say the 3DS is a great little thing nintendo have done it agean

When the NGP comes out it will have a lot to do because the 3D is great on it and the games look good its about as powerfull as a wii but to me thats all you need on a handheld

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Got it today with street fighter IV and its awesome. You know nintendo have nailed it when the menus are impressive lol.
    The 3d viewing angle in quite low but I haven't noticed a loss of the 3d effect without trying to tilt the screen. I set the 3d slider about half way as I think it looks the best + after playing street fighter for 2hrs my eyes are fine;).

The performance is equally impressive in street fighter as I have yet to notice a framedrop below 30ish. only dissapointing thing is its hard to take out the stylus while playing a game but thats only a minor niggle.

• Advertisement

Yep, noticed that having the 3D slider at about halfway is the best for me too. I couldn't focus on anything with it at full strength in Pilotwings but at halfway, it looks great. Lego Star Wars III seems fine with it at full strength so I get the feeling that it's something that will vary from game to game and from person to person.

whats lego star wars 3 like, considering picking it up but its the same price as the ps3 version >.<

A lot of fun. It's pretty much the same formula as the rest of the Lego games, but it's been years since I played one so it feels really fresh - looks great too. The 3D effects are a bit more subtle than the likes of Pilotwings but actually add a dimension to the gameplay with jumping in and out of the screen and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

so has the hype disappeared now that people have realised its ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm enjoying it. The only downer is the lack of a killer launch title, a Mario game would've saved the day!

i was angling for a response there actually lol

imo its a little pointless. my eyes dont like the 3d at all (it looks flickery and not at all smooth enough to play a game on, just like most 3d ive ever seen), and while the device is much more powerful than the regular ds, unless developers completely abandon the 3d and just harness the power on offer to make bigger, better games i cant see it being worth buying at any stage

No it's not s.hit and I can bet on it sellling more then the NGP due to the 3D on it been good but still not as good as my 3D tv but on a handheld it's great

I have been playing Lego starwars 3 the must out of the 5 games I got for my 3DS and I will say the 3D in it is ok but the game just makes you happy when you play it and after haveing played all the Lego games on my old PSP I will say the 3DS is miles better then that in the GR dept.

To me the games look like the wii which is very good for a handheld and really all you need to play on the move

Anyway I will update later with reviews when I find time to put down my 3DS

Also I will add the blue 3DS is green no matter what nin call it but I still think it looks the best in green

we'll agree to disagree on whether its **** or not, but right now i can see no reason at all to recommend anyone buy it. Poor launch lineup, gimmicky pitch

Hopefully the ngp turns out a bit better. Im sure the 3ds will sell more alrite tho, given that the market nintendo are aiming at is far broader, so sales arent indicative of quality (just look at the wii)

honestly Its the best handheld gaming device yet and although sonys new psp will probably end up beating it; atm the 3ds is awesome just play street fighter and see for yourself + I dont get headaches or eye strain from 3d but i watch alot of 3d content so maybe Im just used to it

• Advertisement

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    honestly Its the best handheld gaming device yet and although sonys new psp will probably end up beating it; atm the 3ds is awesome just play street fighter and see for yourself + I dont get headaches or eye strain from 3d but i watch alot of 3d content so maybe Im just used to it

Yeah, nut if you are not in to sf4 and your age is above 5, then there is feck all to play...

And moust of the games I sow so far are simplified games just to show 3d.

Plus sf4 pushing it to the lit allready... So ... Yeah....

I have to admit 3d effect does work lovely, it looks awesome, but that it...

Advertisement