Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

smart phones are a load of bellix for games, angry birds isn't a game its a toy. Same goes for 90% of the games on iPhone and Android

It's all well and good you thinking mobile phone games lack the sophistication of console and handheld games, most gamers would agree with you but two points spring to mind.

1- Games for handsets are gradually becoming more ambitious, instead of being pale shadows of console titles they have become legitimate series additions, Ridge Racer on the iPhone and a launch pad for new titles, the great Infinity Blade.

2- You may not like Angry Birds but you're not the market they are after, they are chasing these gamers who don't yet know they are gamers. Far from being a dirty word, casual gaming is worth a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

smart phones are a load of bellix for games, angry birds isn't a game its a toy. Same goes for 90% of the games on iPhone and Android

I've played a lot of Angry Birds, and spent ages on my iPhone and iPad last night playing games. Angry Birds, Tiny Wings, Cut the Rope etc. are excellent games for what they set out to do. Extremely compulsive games in short bursts. Do you consider XBLA and Playstation Network games, not games either?

Hell you have to put more thought into a level of Angry Birds than you do a level of Call of Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's loads of great games on smartphones.

Simple as that really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, there's not, there is so much rubbish in app stores and market places its beyond belief, I have a Desire, my better half has an iPhone and outside a select bunch of lust have titles its tons of tower defence and angry birds clones.
    At least the traditional games formats have a steady stream of deep, high quality titles coming out regularly.
    There is no better time to be a console gamer, tons of great games to play, tons of older titles available at bargain prices, great stuff.

I'll say it again. There's loads of great games on startphones.

Infinity Blade, NOVA, Games Dev Story, Canibalt, Zen Bound and Rage to name but a small few.

Yep, they're definitely games and they're great alright. The store could be filled with 99.9999999% of ****e games, but that doesn't change the fact that there's still loads of great ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭Nollog

And there's loads of great games on DS too.
    You has a points?

My point is that I think there there is. In response to someone's point that there isn't.

Points make up part of a discussion, which is what's happening here.

Then stop discussing apple in a 3ds thread.
    Anyone wanting to trade in their 3ds gamestop quoted me 230 euro store credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Well I am a bit of a apple fan boy when it comes to iPhones but games from gameloft are copy's of games on the ps3 or xbox
    Eg Nova = halo

Also I think smart phones a crap for playing games on you end up takeing up 1/2 your phone with your hands and then you can't see the game

Also I have about 30 games on my iPhone all I have picked up for when they where on sale for 79c and that's to much for some of them

MGS touch is the worst MGS I have ever played it's notting like the main ones
    Deadspace you need more bottons and not the same room every 2 mins
    Dead rising you will only have about 3 zombies to kill at a time
    Ass creed is a ds port that was bad in the 1st place this only made it worse
    Hero of Sparta god of war rip of and a bad one at that
    Angry braids why do prople think this is good it was my must hated game of last year
    Crash kart 1 and 2 I can never see more then 2inchs in front of me because it was always black
    Don't get me going on the crashes must games have

Anyway the 3DS is for games and a iPhone or HTC is for massing around in work when your board

Also way sell your 3DS after only haveing it for a weak ??? You have barely hit all the games that are going to come our way

/\/ollog wrote: »

Haha, what are you actually like? I didn't even bring it up, but I'll discuss it if I feel like it, thanks.

• Advertisement

Anyway the 3DS is for games and a iPhone or HTC is for massing around in work when your board

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Anyone wanting to trade in their 3ds gamestop quoted me 230 euro store credit.

Hey man,

I was wondering how you done that in your comment on 3DS that some light came on showing me that it was from you I think? Was kind of weird lol..

Anyone know how I can organise SSF 4 fights with friends when they online?.. I know I can make a lobby but how do I make them know that I am waiting for them?

You're john?
    Yeah just change your message to something like "come join me in sf4" or something, then play it.

the message you write is shown to everyone on your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

You're john?
    Yeah just change your message to something like "come join me in sf4" or something, then play it.

the message you write is shown to everyone on your list.

Yep thats me.. How I change my name? I taught I was cartman91 ? :confused:

Thanks, but they have to be in friends list so it safer organising it 1st isnt it?

Start a thread then, and set a time.
    Might take a little organising though.

I think the names are linked to your personal mii's in mii maker.
    Just tested it there and yeah whatever you call your personal mii, that's what appears on your friend card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Ahem

The point I was trying to make (somewhat facetiously I'll admit) is that most games for smart phones, are to say the least, not very good. the second point I was attempting to make is that, to my mind, "games" like angry birds, Tiny Wings and even Cut the rope are not truly "Video Games" but more a sort of electronic toy.

To deal with my second point first; the reason I feel this way is because of their lack of substance and singular mechanic, once you've played them for even a short time its just a case of rinse and repeat, change the angle and see what happens. there is very little in the way of any sort of progression, be it of the game itself or what you do in it. To me its akin to playing with Bricks or lego. Only slightly less fulfilling.

Are they well made? yes. Are they fun? to point, yes. Can they be held in the same bracket as games on dedicated handheld machines? Not as far as I'm concerned, no. Are they restricted to Phones? certainly not, Boom Blox on the Wii is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, lots fun but really its just a physics toy.

To my first point; yes there are genuine games available for smart phones, Infinity Blade and Final Fantasy III being two excellent examples but these games are literally outnumbered a thousand to one by vast swathes of dross. the reason for this is the same reason dedicated handhelds will carry on and remain popular, controls.

Controls, an onscreen dpad or joystick simply doesn't work, nor for the most part do tilt mechanics, there are loads of classic games on itunes and the android marketplace that run perfectly in emulation but are simply unplayable because of the onscreen controls. Doesn't matter about anything else if you can't control Sonic on the screen there aint no point playing. That Angry Birds creator wind bag can run his mouth off about what is or isn't the future of gaming but jabbing your finger at the screen won't be it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

You could say the same about the likes of pong though.

With regard to touchscreen controls - there are instances where it works amazingly well. Point and click games for a start, and the Cave shooters such as DoDonPachi Ressurection control amazingly (and don't use onscreen dpads or tilt controls...)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Control issue easily sorted with a wii remote on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Is there a way to lock your 3DS when the lid is closed?

Quite often I return to my 3DS, open up the lift and the camera is active.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New japanese 3DS trailer shows shop (and some sample games)

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/nintendo-vid-details-3ds-e-shop

Jump ahead to about 2m50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Did anything decent came out yet on 3ds?

Mr E wrote: »
    New japanese 3DS trailer shows shop (and some sample games)

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/nintendo-vid-details-3ds-e-shop

Jump ahead to about 2m50.
    It's not new. I remember linking it either here or on gbatemp a while back.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-25-mario-kart-3ds-release-confirmed-for-2011 yay, mk3ds this year!
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-26-star-fox-3ds-has-ship-tilt-controls ooooh~ new controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

Can anyone comment on the upscaling of regular ds games? I don't mind the slight blur but from comparison shots I've seen the colours seem to be significantly washed out.

Depends on the game.
    They all look fine to me.

It's not like you bought a DS game for the FULLHD graphics or anything...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If you buy one in america its region locked yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For 3DS games, yes.
    Regular DS games are still region free, AFAIK.

Tempted to get one of these. There doesnt seem to be any games for it that I'd be interested in yet, so I might wait. I saw HMV selling them for 210 for one day only a while back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Grayditch wrote: »
    Tempted to get one of these. There doesnt seem to be any games for it that I'd be interested in yet, so I might wait. I saw HMV selling them for 210 for one day only a while back.

Same here,might be going to america in nov so might hold out till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

There's still no concrete date for the Virtual Console, is there? I know it's meant to be this month, but when?! I'm assuming it'll be a Friday, since the Wii stores update then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Mr. K wrote: »
    There's still no concrete date for the Virtual Console, is there? I know it's meant to be this month, but when?! I'm assuming it'll be a Friday, since the Wii stores update then.

This is all I could find, no concrete date as of yet, but I'm led to believe the update will happen in late May

May 6th, 2011
    Miyamoto: The eShop will not impose restrictions on third parties

40 Comments
    Miyamoto.jpg
    Miyamoto recently sat down with The Telegraph to discuss a bunch of things about the Nintendo 3DS, but it was talk about the eShop that gives us the best insight into what we can expect from the platform. Most notably, “Miyamoto says that Nintendo are not looking to impose restrictions on third parties,” which is huge as that was the very reason Super Meat Boy (and many other games) never arrived on WiiWare.
    Miyamoto also believes that “you need specific, meaningful software for the 3DS,” and points out that, since downloadable games don’t need cartridges, they’re the perfect candidates for StreetPass. And while you don’t need a cartridge in the 3DS to use StreetPass, it’d be brilliant to get StreetPass hits and check the results straight away within a game without having to lug around a bag full of all your games.

May 8th, 2011
    Avenging Spirit and Fortified Zone are on their way to the 3DS via the eShop

98 Comments
    New-Virtual-Console.jpg
    According to these ratings via the ESRB, Avenging Spirit and Fortified Zone for the Gameboy will be arriving on the Virtual Console in the Nintendo 3DS eShop. Here’s how the ESRB describes either game:
    • Avenging Spirit is an action game in which players assume the role of a ghost that must rescue his kidnapped girlfriend. Players run and jump through side-scrolling levels and fire small weapons (e.g., bombs, rockets, guns) at robots and gangsters; enemies disappear in brief clouds of smoke.
    • Fortified Zone is an action game in which players assume the role of mercenaries who must infiltrate an enemy base. From a top-down perspective, players navigate through maze-like environments and fire pellet-like projectiles at enemy troops and vehicles; enemies disappear in explosions when defeated.
    No word on pricing or anything like that, but I won’t be too surprised if further ratings trickle in as we hone in on the still-unknown release date of the eShop. What are you hoping to see?

Advertisement