Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ugh. Does anyone at all honestly want to pay money for decades old Gameboy games? GBA, SNES, 16bit games? Sure, but Gameboy games? No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Ugh. Does anyone at all honestly want to pay money for decades old Gameboy games? GBA, SNES, 16bit games? Sure, but Gameboy games? No thanks.

there were some great GB games that could still play well, I doubt that avenging spirit and fortified zone are in that category though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow, Mario Land 1 and 3, Wario Land 1 and 2, Metroid 2, Link's Awakening DX...to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

3 Castlevania games, 3 Mario Games, Kirby, Donkey Kong Country, Paperboy, R-type amongst other shmups, the list of brilliant games available for Gameboy is long and I for one will be buying some of them again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I for one, will not be getting any gb/c/a games on the VC, but that is only because I have all the games I want already on cart for my GBA so no need for me to invest unless the battery dies in some of them or a game pops up that I have NEVER heard of and gets a few good reviews.

But I can see a LOT of people buying these games again to play on the 3ds, there is a lot of class A gameboy games out there that didnt do too well at the time that will no doubt get released again on the VC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

How are 3DS's selling? Any sales to compare it to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jaykhunter wrote: »
    How are 3DS's selling? Any sales to compare it to?

massive decline in sales the past 6 weeks or so i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Helix wrote: »

Surely old psp is outselling it Japan? That alone says alot.

By the looks of it, not many games coming out in near future. Not even mentioning that alot of the stuff that comes out is rehashed stuff.

I am looking for reason to buy 3rd, but I can't fond it yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I imagine sales will go through the roof at Christmas. Any parents of 8ish year olds I talk to about it say their kids have been going on at them about it for months. The new PSP will be a slow starter here I'm guessing, for similar reasons that the 3DS has been...though hasn't the 3DS still been the fastest-selling handheld of all time to date?

if u guys find any numbers weekly/monthly from launch pls post, i'd really appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Is hmv still selling 3DS for €205?
    Think I may get one over the weekend...

Once Ocarina of Time is out, I'll be happy for a while. By the time I'm done with that, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries will be out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ghostchant wrote: »
    I imagine sales will go through the roof at Christmas. Any parents of 8ish year olds I talk to about it say their kids have been going on at them about it for months. The new PSP will be a slow starter here I'm guessing, for similar reasons that the 3DS has been...though hasn't the 3DS still been the fastest-selling handheld of all time to date?

How the 3ds does at xmas very much depends on the release date for stream imo. Before xmas or up to feb will hit 3ds sales hard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

if u guys find any numbers weekly/monthly from launch pls post, i'd really appreciate it!

Dont know how reliable the data is but look at the right hand side to see hardware weekly sales Link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭Nollog

Helix wrote: »

Sold 130,000+ in April in the US alone.
    Haven't seen other figures except the "low" Japanese ones.

Mr. K wrote: »
    Once Ocarina of Time is out, I'll be happy for a while. By the time I'm done with that, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries will be out!

God, two ports of previously release games :( Where's the innovation! (I'd be happier if i didn't play OoT about 3 years ago lol)

CHeers Nollag, so what we have right now
    3DS's sold 2,787,422
    uptake rate, 3DS games sold 3,177,085

That's not lighting the world on fire. Just in comparison, the PSP has sold over 68 million. I know that's total, but it's got a long way to go.

Anyway, here's the big weeks (worldwide) for the 3DS :
    19th March : 63k
    26th March : 386k
    2nd April : 716k
    9th April : 233.5k
    16th April : 169k

So it had one big week but has fallen off a cliff since then :eek:

God, two ports of previously release games :( Where's the innovation! (I'd be happier if i didn't play OoT about 3 years ago lol)

CHeers Nollag, so what we have right now
    3DS's sold 2,787,422
    uptake rate, 3DS games sold 3,177,085

That's not lighting the world on fire. Just in comparison, the PSP has sold over 68 million. I know that's total, but it's got a long way to go.

Anyway, here's the big weeks (worldwide) for the 3DS :
    19th March : 63k
    26th March : 386k
    2nd April : 716k
    9th April : 233.5k
    16th April : 169k

So it had one big week but has fallen off a cliff since then :eek:

Hmmm I am not surprised in it's decline. Would avalabilty have anything to do with these numbers? Ofc lack of games is a major hit.

Look at the games sold and consoles sold. You cam see that majority have bought only 1 game for theyr 3ds. It means most of 3dses are collecting dust at this stage. :(.

E3 wont help to boost 3ds sales too. NGP will be a big thing and most of people will hold on till NGP comes out before they will choose theyr handheld platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Hmmm I am not surprised in it's decline. Would avalabilty have anything to do with these numbers? Ofc lack of games is a major hit.

Look at the games sold and consoles sold. You cam see that majority have bought only 1 game for theyr 3ds. It means most of 3dses are collecting dust at this stage. :(.

E3 wont help to boost 3ds sales too. NGP will be a big thing and most of people will hold on till NGP comes out before they will choose theyr handheld platform.

It depends. If Sony aim the NGP at as broad as demographic as Nintendo did with the DS and later the 3DS, then perhaps, but thus far, I don't see it appealing to much more beyond the "modern, trendy pleasure-seekers".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

thinking of trading my 3ds in. Lack of games sucks bigtime

I really thought the 3DS would be a massive success due to it's gimmick; by the time the next handheld rolls around i'd imagine integrating a phone would be necessary, or some kind of tablet, ya know?

Phones are only going to get more powerful, eliminating the need for handheld consoles....seems like casual games are the way to go. The only way you can really drive sales is by doing what phones do AND having games you can ONLY play on your handheld...

tbh i think Sony have the right idea with their PSPhone but i think by the next iteration they should cut the PSP line and only do integrated gaming phones.

I wonder if Nintendo would consider the same, a Nintendo phone. They have an amazing back catalogue; the earlier games (GameBoy up to GBA, NES, SNES) are all perfect for hand-held gaming. That said, I wonder what % of people buying a PSPhone wouldn't already have just pirated those games with an emulator.....

• Advertisement

I really thought the 3DS would be a massive success due to it's gimmick; by the time the next handheld rolls around i'd imagine integrating a phone would be necessary, or some kind of tablet, ya know?

Phones are only going to get more powerful, eliminating the need for handheld consoles....seems like casual games are the way to go. The only way you can really drive sales is by doing what phones do AND having games you can ONLY play on your handheld...

tbh i think Sony have the right idea with their PSPhone but i think by the next iteration they should cut the PSP line and only do integrated gaming phones.

I wonder if Nintendo would consider the same, a Nintendo phone. They have an amazing back catalogue; the earlier games (GameBoy up to GBA, NES, SNES) are all perfect for hand-held gaming. That said, I wonder what % of people buying a PSPhone wouldn't already have just pirated those games with an emulator.....

+1 on focusing more on gaming phones. Xperia play looks like a proper future for handhelds.

In the end of the day: you allways allways have your phone with you. You newer know when you will have a spare minute so you can fire up a game and have some fun.

I can't see myself carrying handheld and phone. Too much stuff in the pockets.

Xperia play with android has all emulators legally. Very good performance too.

3d is a gimmick. Something to show off to your friends. Mobile phones are coming out with 3d these days. So can't see problem with 3d games on mobile devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

+1 on focusing more on gaming phones. Xperia play looks like a proper future for handhelds.

In the end of the day: you allways allways have your phone with you. You newer know when you will have a spare minute so you can fire up a game and have some fun.

I can't see myself carrying handheld and phone. Too much stuff in the pockets.

Xperia play with android has all emulators legally. Very good performance too.

3d is a gimmick. Something to show off to your friends. Mobile phones are coming out with 3d these days. So can't see problem with 3d games on mobile devices.

Just do like I do, leave the phone at home and bring the 3DS with you. Phones are not a necessity like gaming is.

pdbhp wrote: »
    Just do like I do, leave the phone at home and bring the 3DS with you. Phones are not a necessity like gaming is.

Phones > 3ds. As I am replying to you from my phone while waiting to send out 150 lunches . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I absolutely hate device integration. Something always suffers. With games on phones it's usually the controls. I'd much rather stick to carrying two devices. Been doing so for years and it hasn't bothered me this far!

People are writing off the 3DS too quickly, have faith. Early adopters usually have a tough time of it, but we'll see a killer app arrive sooner or later.

Got my 3ds today in HMV for €214.99, not bad. Got it casue I know over the next few months really great games are coming out, RE The Mecenaries 3D, OoT, mario... Shinobi, to just name a few of a LOT of games to come, I dont understand people sellin on the 3ds already, its only out 2/3 months, games take a while to come out, you cant expect like 100 top star games on release people lol.

Also Metal Gear Solid 5 could be out on the 3ds....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Even if it is ported to the 3DS, I really would rather play a game like that on a Home console.

Personally think its stupid having the same version of a game on handheld and on the home consoles.

Got my 3ds today in HMV for €214.99, not bad. Got it casue I know over the next few months really great games are coming out, RE The Mecenaries 3D, OoT, mario... Shinobi, to just name a few of a LOT of games to come, I dont understand people sellin on the 3ds already, its only out 2/3 months, games take a while to come out, you cant expect like 100 top star games on release people lol.

well... everyone were expecting atleast ONe decent game lol. so far no new games, just remakes. thats why people selling them. no matter what great harware you have, it wount matter if you dont have games.

ocarina of time is remaked now for 5th time? seriuosly nintendo...

well... everyone were expecting atleast ONe decent game lol.

Yes! ONE isn't asking too much, is it? Like everyone was happy to buy the Wii because of the gimmick/wii sports or play AND Twilight Princess but c'mon, the nothing?
    Ah it's considered the greatest game ever made by many so i'll give 'em a pass lol. But I won't consider buying the game until there's 3 NEW games i really play that are ONLY available on the 3DS.

• Advertisement

To be fair, this is first actual remake of OoT. The rest have just been re-releases, the 3DS is properly spruced up!

Advertisement