Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninty 3DS hype? Where is it boards...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    just play street fighter and see for yourself

have done

its a tidy port, but its at its best without the 3d, just emphasisng my point that the whole premise of the device is pointless

how mahy people who bought 0 day machines will be using the 3d in 6 weeks time? not many ill wager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Yeah, nut if you are not in to sf4 and your age is above 5, then there is feck all to play...

And moust of the games I sow so far are simplified games just to show 3d.

Plus sf4 pushing it to the lit allready... So ... Yeah....

I have to admit 3d effect does work lovely, it looks awesome, but that it...

i take it you meant to say pushing it to the limits already right? if so then your horribly wrong, the 3ds wont be pushed to its limits for another good 2 years at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

i take it you meant to say pushing it to the limits already right? if so then your horribly wrong, the 3ds wont be pushed to its limits for another good 2 years at least

I agree. Has a launch title ever been indicative of system's abilities? Resident Evil: Revelation looks amazing, I think that will set the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Was playing some of SFIV and a friends machine over the weekend and I'm very impressed, wasn't sure before but now I'm defo interested. The 3D came and went a little bit for me because I wasn't wearing my glasses but when it worked it looked great.

Unfortunately I'm not a fan of SF generally and all the other games look pants so it'll be a while before I really consider it, I'll need Zelda, Mario Kart and some interesting 3rd party stuff before I consider it and I'd expect that will take about 12 months. It'll take me that long to save for it anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Have any major titles being announced? As soon as Zelda is announced I'll buy one.

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    Have any major titles being announced? As soon as Zelda is announced I'll buy one.

would you not wait til zelda is released if youre interested in it, rather than buying it when its announced 8 months before release like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

for some reasons i have got one in my house now :pac: the 3D effect is INCREDIBLE.i am so impressed!! i am not sure if it is worty of its price tag but 3DS is such a masterpiece design in the handheld console industry. it is slick, sturgy and light - i was expecting something like the 1st gen NDS but i was wrong :P

and ye the same thing i'd say there is no killer launch title with it is abit let down :(

Zelda OoT is expected sometime around June or July apparently, Mario Kart is also due sometime this year iirc. If thats the case I'd say it will be a massive seller for xmas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Helix wrote: »
    would you not wait til zelda is released if youre interested in it, rather than buying it when its announced 8 months before release like?
    Well yeah, I suppose thats what I ment lol!
    Hoping it wouldnt take 8 months tho from announcement, they are surely working on the marque titles already.
    Zelda OoT is expected sometime around June or July apparently, Mario Kart is also due sometime this year iirc. If thats the case I'd say it will be a massive seller for xmas.
    Thats good if true, just around my birthday :D
    Mariokart - meh :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Really tempted to get the 3DS now bought a load of PS3 games last week like a right fool. All i'd say is Fight Night Champion must be right up there with Fable 3 in terms of a sequel dissapointing me.Not the right place to ask but anyone know how much i'd get for Killzone 3,Dragon Age 2 & Fight Night Champion if I was to trade them in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

have done

its a tidy port, but its at its best without the 3d, just emphasisng my point that the whole premise of the device is pointless

how mahy people who bought 0 day machines will be using the 3d in 6 weeks time? not many ill wager

Well, I have been reading your recent posts on the 3DS, and boy do you have some serious hate for the machine.
    I would have to say that its hard to take your opinion as you don't actually own one, while those that are posting here who have one and say they enjoy it and the 3D effect are speaking from actual experience, extended experience.
    The device is hardly pointless either, the point being to create a handheld with a glassesless 3D display, that will enhance gameplay, that will allow the watching of 3D media and also includes online and social potential.
    All the above are present and accounted for.
    The 3D effect is convincing and not uncomfortable at all, once the slider is set right.
    The machine is powerful enough to do the games justice, hence an excellent Ridge Racer and SSF4 for the system.

I remain unsure as to your reasons to pour such scorn on a console you don't own, you opinions are hollow without the experience to back them up.

When the top tier of Nintendo IPs appear on the machine will you be more impressed or make comments about "unoriginality"?
    Are you instead awaiting the NGP?
    Perhaps a more "conventional" console is more your taste?

Anyhow, please go, find a friend with a 3DS, play it for a while then get back to us.

Like it or not 3D without glasses is probably the biggest innovation in tech since the resistive touchscreen, all it awaits is similarly innovative applications, hence Pilotwings 3D and Ridge Racer.

Also, far to early in a consoles lifespan, only out yesterday in the Americas, to pass such a sweeping judgement on its potential, looks like you shot your load too early my friend, but don't worry, I'm sure it happens to lots of people... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm still waiting on my 3DS to arrive. It was dispatched on Thursday by Amazon but no sign of it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, I have been reading your recent posts on the 3DS, and boy do you have some serious hate for the machine.
    I would have to say that its hard to take your opinion as you don't actually own one, while those that are posting here who have one and say they enjoy it and the 3D effect are speaking from actual experience, extended experience.
    The device is hardly pointless either, the point being to create a handheld with a glassesless 3D display, that will enhance gameplay, that will allow the watching of 3D media and also includes online and social potential.
    All the above are present and accounted for.
    The 3D effect is convincing and not uncomfortable at all, once the slider is set right.
    The machine is powerful enough to do the games justice, hence an excellent Ridge Racer and SSF4 for the system.

I remain unsure as to your reasons to pour such scorn on a console you don't own, you opinions are hollow without the experience to back them up.

When the top tier of Nintendo IPs appear on the machine will you be more impressed or make comments about "unoriginality"?

Anyhow, please go, find a friend with a 3DS, play it for a while then get back to us.

Like it or not 3D without glasses is probably the biggest innovation in tech since the resistive touchscreen, all it awaits is similarly innovative applications, hence Pilotwings 3D and Ridge Racer.

Also, far to early in a consoles lifespan, only out yesterday in the Americas, to pass such a sweeping judgement on its potential, looks like you shot your load too early my friend, but don't worry, I'm sure it happens to lots of people... ;)

I think Helix's problem is similar to my own which is a let down regarding the titles. Truth be told, I would have preferred if they brought out Tetris 3-D, rather than flipping Nintendogs(and Cats).

Also, many of us, do not know what exactly to expect from the 3-D capabilities of the 3DS and we dont want to be let down even further. I shall reserve judgement until I have a 3DS and a decent title in my hands.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I didn't bother buying it, but my brother has. Contemplating on it now. Played SSFIV, Rayman, SMB and PES2011. SSFIV is fantastic but the gimmicky 3D on it wore off pretty quickly. I can see it being a massive hit at cons/meetups for sure.

Rayman is a poor port of an above average game IMO. Super Monkey Ball surprised me though. Thought it was a great game, and the 3D was a bit mad! PES2011 is fantastic, though the 3D is a bit shyte tbh. Would definitely recommend PES2011 but only for the lack of options in the game. Pity. I hear Ridge Racer is good, as is the new Ghost Recon game (they say its like X-Com, so I'm in already), so I might pick up the 3DS with SSFIV and those two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Well he has played the 3DS :confused:

A lot of people are not into the whole 3D buzz, does seem like a fad that's being pushed hard on people.

Personally I am interested in the 3DS and can't wait to see one in action but there's no release games I have any interest in (I'm a massive street fighter 4 fan but I'm not spending 300 euro to play it on a hand held when I could buy some badass arcade stick for that price for my ps3)

But I may buy one in the future when the price goes down/has better games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'm one of the people who think 3d is just a fad.
    The 3D effect to me is just an extra, I'm more into the networking features and finally a decent hardware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I'm one of the people who think 3d is just a fad.
    The 3D effect to me is just an extra, I'm more into the networking features and finally a decent hardware update.

Agree, I actually haven't seen a single 3d movie, and I am really not crazed to see one etc... 3d works really cool on 3rds, but I can't see peoPle playing alot with 3d on. Specially whm battery life is horrible! I would expect that from Sony with awesome graphics, but here it's different...

It just looks same as wii, I was stupid enought to buy it on release. I Played for month and happily traded it in for last 60gb ps3. Best deccition I ever made. I bet half of gamers. Just bought normal controllers to play on wii or just traded it in. New gimmick is allways fun for a month, then it just boils down to game library and quality.

I still plan on buying a 3ds or second generation. When nintendo will milk enought parents and make price reasonable. Ds allways gad amazing library of turned based strategies which make me very horny ;)

i dont own one, i got sent one on indefinite loaner by nintendo :confused:

do game journalists review versions of machines not count in your book?

except the 3d doesnt enhance gameplay. how many people in here have already been saying theyre turning it off when they play? quite a few

doesnt matter where the slider is set, my eyes dont like the effect. ive played full hd 3d games, watched 3d blurays on 62 inch sharp quattron tvs, seen 3d movies, and its the same with them all - the effect doesnt work particularly well for me and i find it more an irritant than anything else

ridge racer is hardly excellent

again, see my first point

i love nintendo. im a borderline fanboy at times. your points are getting more than a little pathetic as we continue

why dont i just turn on the one 2 feet away from me?

i know, ive written a few articles about it. probably before you even so much as heard of autoscopic displays

i never commented on its potential, i said as of right now i couldnt recommend it to anyone

sounds to me like youre trying to convice yourself its great more than anyone else to justify your outlay

actually i have to correct myself, killzone 3 is superb in 3d

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

i dont own one, i got sent one on indefinite loaner by nintendo :confused:
    Lucky you, most of us had to pay for them.
    Still, apologies.
    do game journalists review versions of machines not count in your book?
    Nonsense statement seeing as I didn't know you had a machine in your possession.
    except the 3d doesnt enhance gameplay.
    Yes it does, in RR it enhances the visuals of the game and your judgement of approaching corners, in Pilotwings it improves you accuracy in landing, for example. StreetFighter is the one game that could do, and has done, just fine without.
    doesnt matter where the slider is set, my eyes dont like the effect. ive played full hd 3d games, watched 3d blurays on 62 inch sharp quattron tvs, seen 3d movies, and its the same with them all - the effect doesnt work particularly well for me and i find it more an irritant than anything else
    For you, sure, but there are plenty of folk out there who have had no problems with the 3D effect on the device.
    Your experience of 3D elsewhere has little relevance, pretty much every early adopter who has bought a 3DS has had some experience of 3D gaming already.
    Your comment is entirely subjective, not representative of the people I know who have bought one.
    ridge racer is hardly excellent
    Again, your opinion, no more valid than mine.
    I, as a Ridge Racer fan since the arcade, love this new game, not as much as my favourite of the series Rage Racer, but up there.

And on the subject of Ridge Racer 3D, play it using the bumper cam only, the game is less disorientating that way and its the only way the series should be played anyhow.
    i love nintendo. im a borderline fanboy at times. your points are getting more than a little pathetic as we continue
    First part: Good for you, I have about 60 consoles in my collection now, including many Nintendo consoles, they make great stuff alright.
    Second part: Feel free insult, very poor way of making your point though.
    why dont i just turn on the one 2 feet away from me?

What a good idea, remember to turn off the 3D though, you don't find it pleasant I seem to recall.

i know, ive written a few articles about it. probably before you even so much as heard of autoscopic displays

Well done you on writing article on autoscopic displays!
    How clever!
    I am not going to get into a p1ssing contest here, but I have had plenty of experience with 3D displays, I have more than one 3D Nintendo console in my collection, Mario Tennis is very good though, I'm hoping a Virtual Boy collection will be downloadable soon so others can enjoy it too.

Don't presume to know more than others, may be misunderstood as arrogance.
    i never commented on its potential, i said as of right now i couldnt recommend it to anyone
    No, but you do seem to consider the machine poor almost exclusively because you find the 3D effect uncomfortable.
    The launch lineup is not as stellar as perhaps it could have been, I bought Ridge Racer, SSF4 and Pilotwings and I'm pretty happy.
    Not as happy as I will be in May when the new firmware should unlock the machines potential.
    I am particularly looking forward to a movie download service myself.
    You are probably right to not recommend it to everyone, but anyone is a bit strong.
    I was waiting for a sequel to Pilotwings since the N64 game and it took this long, that was the killer app I was waiting for, and I got it.
    Now, I am disappointed at the lack of content in the game, but it is an excellent game to show off the display.
    sounds to me like youre trying to convice yourself its great more than anyone else to justify your outlay
    Well, assume away there my friend.
    I am happy with my purchase, its a beautifully designed device, I have games that I am enjoying to play on it.
    It was expensive but the price of entry to new hardware is always high.
    Every console I have ever bought at launch has had a similar tale to tell regarding launch games, PS2 had a terrible launch line up yet it went on to have a long and wonderful career as a gamesconsole hosting some genre redefining titles.
    Who's to say the 3DS won't be the same?

Thanks for your input though, I know now why I favour the rather excellent Arcade & Retro forum instead ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭AndywK

No offense there Helix, but it is a bit hard to believe you are a journalist with your lack of punctuation.

Present your posts better and then your point will come off stronger.

Quite enjoying the console myself, this is the first Nintendo product I bought since the Nintendo64.

I got SSF4,Rayman 3D and Pokemon White. The 3D is great in both games but I have been hooked on Pokemon(reliving childhood memories here).

Have the next 2 days off work so I shall be looking further into the features of the console.

My only let down though is the fact no browser will be available till May. I thought they would have had all that stuff ready for launch. No biggie by any means.

Oh and my God I can't wait for Zelda and Starfox.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolutely loving Pilot Wings, have barely played anything else over the weekend. It really is a cracking game, dipped in and out of Lego Star Wars and it's a hell of a lot of fun, let down by a lack of co-op. Think I'm gonna pick up Street Fighter and Ghost Recon this week.

The console itself is a brilliantly designed piece of kit and one I wouldn't hesitate recommending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭BenK

Bought this on Friday. It is my first ever handheld and as the guy in the shop said I waited for the right one! Very impressed with it so far and looking forward to playing some of the DS back catalogue on it too. Got Pro Evo and Ghost Recon. Ghost Recon in particular is pretty addictive. The 3d works well I think and I would definitely say it enhances the gameplay. In Pro Evo I did get disorientated a few times due to moving my head while playing but hopefully this is just a matter of getting used to the 3d display. The AR games are very clever and there is an awful lot of potential to work with there. Can't wait for Zelda as it's probably my favourite game of all time! An obvious one but hey... Overall I think it's a pretty impressive piece of kit.

Nonsense statement seeing as I didn't know you had a machine in your possession.

yet you assumed i didnt...

and whats this?
    Well, assume away there my friend

are you sure you wouldnt rather i leave that to you?:D
    Every console I have ever bought at launch has had a similar tale to tell regarding launch games, PS2 had a terrible launch line up yet it went on to have a long and wonderful career as a gamesconsole hosting some genre redefining titles.
    Who's to say the 3DS won't be the same?

nobody, and nobody was saying it
    AndywK wrote: »
    No offense there Helix, but it is a bit hard to believe you are a journalist with your lack of punctuation

its an internet forum chief. do you expect singers to serenade you melodically rather than speaking or something? i dont type using capitalisation or punctuation (though it could be argued that my use of short paragraphs suits the medium of message boards far more than long strings of text punctuated with full stops) because its not necessary. typing online isnt my job

Poorly made and ill thought out assumptions are the life blood of debate here, I can't claim sole use if them, but thanks for the offer.
    And I think you were saying it, especially when you suggested that the Wii did sold well despite software quality, a fair point, then thinking the 3DS's fate to the same, not such a fair point.
    All in all do we really think that Nintendo can screw up the 3DS?
    They have an unrivalled record of world beating handheld consoles, none of which had launch software that made the world gasp, aside perhaps for Tetris on the original Gameboy.
    It's not the NGP that Nintendo have to watch, the biggest threat will be the iPhone5 and the myriad of Android phones all filling the casual gaming market with handheld gaming combined with an app store/marketplace stocked with attractive software.
    Who wants a games console with physical media, aside from gamers?
    The NGP and 3DS run the chance of both being irrelevant to this massive market, at least in the west.

well i can tell you i certainly wasnt saying that the 3ds mightnt be worth buying in future. i can only base my opinion on whats available now and in the near future, and ive already given my view on whether its worth buying based on that

the wii comment was regarding someone saying itd definitely sell more than the ngp, i dont think sales are in doubt, and was pointing out that regardless of game quality it was ALWAYS going to sell huge quantities based on the demographic primarily targetted by nintendo and the fact that the 3d is flashy new gimmick

i agree that the mobile market could be a huge issue for nintendo. casual gaming at 1/10th the price of their titles will undoubtedly hurt them as more and more kids get smartphones

smart phones are a load of bellix for games, angry birds isn't a game its a toy. Same goes for 90% of the games on iPhone and Android

smart phones are a load of bellix for games, angry birds isn't a game its a toy. Same goes for 90% of the games on iPhone and Android

i can safely say ive never heard the phrase "its not a game its a toy"

theyre casual games, meant for short bursts, aimed at people who for the most part dont play "traditional" games - and yet there are more people playing games on smartphones and on facebook than there are console gamers. load of bollix or not, these are very big markets that are only gong to grow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is it a 3DS Case?????? Is it a Hand Puppet??????? NO IT'S BOTH!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Does anyone know is their any good 3DS offers in Gamestop buying it new might trade in a few newish PS3 Games.

Advertisement