Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Listening back to him on Radio One at the moment. Garth Brooks is so full of sh!t, it's quite unbelievable. Murray should be ashamed of himself for giving him such a shameful promo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I don't buy all this conspiracy nonsense.

Garth Brooks is hugely popular amongst the segment of the population that RTE 1 aims at (and he's also hugely popular in an ironic kind of way amongst younger people who's Mammies were big fans).

To fill air time with chatter about Garth Brooks and his come-back concerts is a no-brainer for John Murray's team - easy, cheerful, nostalgic, harmless radio that can be spun out till the concerts themselves.

Garth Brooks was all over every media outlet in ireland last week - RTE 1 wouldn't want to have missed the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Garth Brooks is hugely popular amongst the segment of the population that RTE 1 aims at (and he's also hugely popular in an ironic kind of way amongst younger people who's Mammies were big fans).

To fill air time with chatter about Garth Brooks and his come-back concerts is a no-brainer for John Murray's team - easy, cheerful, nostalgic, harmless radio that can be spun out till the concerts themselves.

Garth Brooks was all over every media outlet in ireland last week - RTE 1 wouldn't want to have missed the opportunity.

If you think it's bad at the moment, cast your mind back to the mid 90's on 2FM. back then, Gareth O'Callaghan's show was virtually a love letter to Messer Brooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Now ,not wishing to cross swords with you,but I deal quite a lot with young people,and most of them never heard of. mr brooks.

I think there is a lot more than what you outline behind this.

Not saying there is anything wrong or underhand like, but seems to me and any person of average intelligence the the promoters of this event , and good luck to them, have the inside trac on this publicity.

No way this is as big as RTE are pumping it,let's be honest and admit this.

There's a payback somewhere, that's how commerce works, some people have an 'in. ' and hopefully ,and I have no reason to think otherwise, it's not people on the inside wedging the payout.

Would hate to think its that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There's a payback somewhere, that's how commerce works, some people have an 'in. ' and hopefully ,and I have no reason to think otherwise, it's not people on the inside wedging the payout.

Would hate to think its that.
    So if you have no reason to think it, and would hate to think it, why do you even mention the possibility?

• Advertisement

So if you have no reason to think it, and would hate to think it, why do you even mention the possibility?

Because there is always the possibility Pee.

Because there is always the possibility Pee.
    Lots of things are possible. I could say that there is a possibility that some person in the public eye has committed rape or embezzled his grandmother's life savings. But I don't know such a thing, nor do I have a reasonable suspicion that such a thing happened. So I don't make such suggestions.

It's unfair to use innuendo and then make as if what you say is not harmful.

Lots of things are possible. I could say that there is a possibility that some person in the public eye has committed rape or embezzled his grandmother's life savings. But I don't know such a thing, nor do I have a reasonable suspicion that such a thing happened. So I don't make such suggestions.

It's unfair to use innuendo and then make as if what you say is not harmful.

Pee, I'm just one person, bit flawed in certain aspects of life.

I don't hack down opinions and decisions into the nth degree as you seem to delight in.

All I do is throw out an opinion which seems to have legs and see do other people agree or disagree.

I'll put you down as disagree then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The clips, the bad jokes... Oh make it stop... :(

Just do what I just did,hit the off button.
    How,I ask myself,how does ANY producer think that hackneyed rubbish is even remotely attractive as a programme intro.

Would someone please tell me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Listening for the first time in ages... it is awful dross. The "jokes" are toe-curling bad. A clip of an Australian band was awful and now JOhn want's to be a rock star. I'm cringing. :( Time for the off button.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Off button? Or retune?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Now ,not wishing to cross swords with you,but I deal quite a lot with young people,and most of them never heard of. mr brooks.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/01/28/could-have-missed-the-rain-but-id-have-had-to-miss-the-dance/

They're mad for it Joe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

The problem with the John Murray show is that he thinks he's being funny, and the awful truth is that he's awful. If the producers altered the format to a straight-talking magazine programme it might be a little more palatable. But my OFF button gets a rapid whack once the news is over. Lyric and Beeb 4 are an antidote.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Unfortunately for me, Lyric is equally as bad, as any time I switch over Marty seems to be off on one of his rants involving various ridiculous characters "writing to him". Play the ****ing music, Marty, and STFU.

Back on topic, I used to have the height of regard for John Murray when he was doing the business show on a Saturday morning - IMO it was the perfect fit for him. He managed to lighten what were often fairly boring topics with his wit and banter. But the current format of his show is a disaster for me - despite longing for his return after months of Miriam, I too I'm afraid reach for the "off" button.

< If the producers altered the format to a straight-talking magazine programme it might be a little more palatable.>

This, in spades.

Sorry, John, if you're reading this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Agree 100% with you, he had Aled Jones on the other morning and he kept trying to make him sing that song We're walking in the air. Aled clearly didn't want to do it but he kept at him till he gave in. Very embarrassing and very bad interview.

He does this regularly to other guests, this show should either be cancelled or he should be replaced with someone better.:o

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Unfortunately for me, Lyric is equally as bad, as any time I switch over Marty seems to be off on one of his rants involving various ridiculous characters "writing to him". Play the ****ing music, Marty, and STFU.

Back on topic, I used to have the height of regard for John Murray when he was doing the business show on a Saturday morning - IMO it was the perfect fit for him. He managed to lighten what were often fairly boring topics with his wit and banter. But the current format of his show is a disaster for me - despite longing for his return after months of Miriam, I too I'm afraid reach for the "off" button.

< If the producers altered the format to a straight-talking magazine programme it might be a little more palatable.>

This, in spades.

Sorry, John, if you're reading this...

Exactly, get rid of the terrible intros and the reality radio aspect and it just might be worth the odd listen.

Have to say that John is definitely not suited to this format.

Cannot figure out how it's still there in exactly the same format.

Exactly, get rid of the terrible intros and the reality radio aspect and it just might be worth the odd listen.
    Including, I would hope, most of the Operation Transformation stuff.
    Have to say that John is definitely not suited to this format.
    Who would be? I think the problem is the format rather than the presenter.
    Cannot figure out how it's still there in exactly the same format.
    It reflects a common human failing, that I describe as loyalty to one's mistakes. A person or team who drew up the programme brief might not be willing to concede that they got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

In fairness, the presenter is not the show's biggest problem. The other morning, in yet another tie-in with Operation Transformation, he went live to a - what was it again? a blood pressure? a diabetes testing? road show somewhere in town?
    Listening to people having their blood drawn has to be up there with watching paint dry.
    And the presenter wasn't responsible for that...

In fairness...
    A novel approach to discussion here!
    ... the presenter is not the show's biggest problem. The other morning, in yet another tie-in with Operation Transformation, he went live to a - what was it again? a blood pressure? a diabetes testing? road show somewhere in town?
    Listening to people having their blood drawn has to be up there with watching paint dry.
    Over 50 years ago Din Joe had a great success with a programme that involved dancing on the radio. It may be that there are people in RTÉ trying to replicate that: think of something that seems unsuited to radio, and let's see if we can make it work.

There is nothing wrong with setting yourself challenges, being a bit adventurous. What is wrong is persisting with things when clearly they are not working.

[Mind you, I'd rather visualise people having their blood drawn on radio than watch it on television.]

• Advertisement

In fairness, the presenter is not the show's biggest problem. The other morning, in yet another tie-in with Operation Transformation, he went live to a - what was it again? a blood pressure? a diabetes testing? road show somewhere in town?

I'm afraid I will have to disagree.

That "show" could possibly be carried off by someone with less baggage and a looser personality.

The late G Ryan could have made that terrible format work, Byrne could have made it work,Mike Murphy too.

Murray is too tight and clenched and forced,not his bag.

This is an attempt at reality radio,with the wrong presenter.

Too forced,too wooden,too contrived,why can't they see that?

What the fk was that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh this weight loss programme is really unrealistic. A person loses 1.5 pounds and they are battering her. Anyone losing 7 pounds a week will not sustain it, much healthier to lose small amounts gradually.
    Ugh. And idiots believe this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Magic knickers... hair colour... make up... make a statement with your glasses.

What a pile of vacuous shyte. :(

sudzs wrote: »
    Magic knickers... hair colour... make up... make a statement with your glasses.

What a pile of vacuous shyte. :(

We have been saying that for quite a long time,so it must be shyte :D

Caught the "comedy" piece again... John adopting that stupid voice and playing a load of youtube clips.. Do RTE have any idea how bad it is... I'm amazed that a company who is so terrified of litigation even allowed the segment to continue after a couple of the stupid things he's come out with..

"We have our own version of Watergate.. What will the movie be called .. 'All the Garda Siochana's men'? "

RTE, please make it stop.. Move him back to The Business or move him off the thing altogether..

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

I'm amazed that this show has an average of over 300,000 listeners according to the last TAM ratings.
    That's more than ANY show on Newstalk.
    Yates and Donohue have only half the listenership of this!!
    It even has more than Pat Kenny.
    Maybe that's why they won't move him....:mad:
    Dreadful show, dreadful presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'm amazed that this show has an average of over 300,000 listeners according to the last TAM ratings.
    That's more than ANY show on Newstalk.
    Yates and Donohue have only half the listenership of this!!
    It even has more than Pat Kenny.
    Maybe that's why they won't move him....:mad:
    Dreadful show, dreadful presenter.

Just goes to show that people are very slow to change radio stations. Murray is lucky that he follows Morning Ireland. It's the only reason I can think as to why his rubbish gets so many listeners.

Never listen to it,but unfortunately was caught in a car with someone who had it on yesterday.

Kathryn Thomas on with the 'weigh in' as if it was the most nerve wracking event in a persons life.

Pure and utter rubbish in the extreme.

As I think Harry Angstom said people are too lazy to move the dial,they just leave the radio on till SOR comes on.

I have a lot of respect for RTE Radio 1 but this 'show' is the pits.

Wrong presenter,wrong show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

I think an hour long show featuring just the sound of the heavies from Operation Transformation being smacked on the arse with a hurley would be more interesting.

Advertisement