Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

jimmyw wrote: »
    I fully understand why someone might want to leave a job that they don't feel fulfilled in, but I would have thought it foolish for them to leave without having at least something to go into such is what Alan Cantwell did.I thought at the time he was going to be moving to the US?.What happened to that? He still has not sourced another position, well except writing a few articles for newspapers.Even his kids are a bit tired of him now:D.

Regards going to the social welfare office and seeing people there with gloomy faces? What did he expect? Everyone there laughing and joking? I am sorry Alan but these places would not put you in a jovial mood I am afraid.I wish the man well,he did say he thought about it for a while beforehand but he should have thought his decision through some more before making it.He has kids to think about too.

He comes across as an attention seeker to me. Bringing his daughter along with him to take a picture of him at the social welfare office :rolleyes:

And considering his wife is working and earning a comfortable wage, and he writes a newspaper column, I doubt he'd get very much on the dole anyway.

No Miriam. It didn't sound great. It sounded terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

ohmigod, what is this supposed to be about??? That annoying chef waxing lyrical about Lou Reed and then waffling on about whether a mohair jumper is mohair or not! :rolleyes:

That was bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Miriam describing a book someone is trying to sell: "It's like Dickens, but with a female lead"

Yes Miriam, because Dickens never had a female lead. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Annnnd more generalisations about women.

Annnnd more generalisations about women.

I gave up after Kevin "chips" Thornton and switched to Woman's Hour, BBC4. :D

sudzs wrote: »
    I gave up after Kevin "chips" Thornton and switched to Woman's Hour, BBC4. :D
    Just saw that there is no SOR today, just MOC til Ronan so I'm gone to Radio 4 too! :)

Just saw that there is no SOR today, just MOC til Ronan so I'm gone to Radio 4 too! :)

I know, I forgot it was a bank hollier. No barely-alive-line either I suppose. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I turned on RTE 1 a while ago. An interview with a priest who will be saying mass as the marathon goes by and a 80 year old woman who has gotten a tattoo.

I turned off RTE 1 a while ago as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This is very heavy for 9.15 in the morning after a bank holiday weekend

And an actress talking about domestic violence to finish the programme. No doubt tomorrow morning there'll be a segment about what causes people to become depressed :rolleyes:

I was dropping my son at the creche so I missed it, what was the item?

I was dropping my son at the creche so I missed it, what was the item?

man interviewed about losing his 3 young children in a car crash in Denmark

man interviewed about losing his 3 young children in a car crash in Denmark
    Ah. Glad I missed that, emotionally wouldn't be able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hmm. Interview with Steve Coogan isn't available on BeyondPod. I know it contained a lot of music but Desert Island Discs finds a way around the copyright issue..

free reign to defend a bloody gangster:mad:

Great to hear John Murray back and talking so openly about his depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Great to hear John Murray back and talking so openly about his depression.

I'm getting depressed listening to high-profile people talking about their depression. It's becoming almost a badge of honour. :confused:

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I'm getting depressed listening to high-profile people talking about their depression. It's becoming almost a badge of honour. :confused:
    Do you think it's better that people just pretend they don't have it, and that Murray came back and said his arthritis had been bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Do you think it's better that people just pretend they don't have it, and that Murray came back and said his arthritis had been bad?

No, I just think that most people suffer from a degree of depression at some points in their lives. I certainly have. In fact I think its part of life and living. There is no need to go on about it ad nauseum. When there is so much talk about in the media generally, it creates an air of depression and it feeds on itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Delighted to hear John back and great to hear him able to talk about his illness so openly. Fair play to him.

For those that missed it, the audio is here: http://radionation.ie/2013/11/john-murray-returns-rte-radio-1-show/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When there is so much talk about in the media generally, it creates an air of depression and it feeds on itself.

Or it makes people realise that it is something that can be overcome and so opens people up to talking about it.

It doesn't create 'an air of depression'. Hearing that other people have depression doesn't cause depression - it might actually benefit some people to realise that this is something that others go through too.

Don't talk nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's good to hear John back. Already the show is more upbeat than it ever was with M O'C. It moves along quickly from subject to subject. There's nothing worse, first thing in the morning, than 30-40 minute interviews about cancer, depression, suicide and dead and dying children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

No, I just think that most people suffer from a degree of depression at some points in their lives. I certainly have. In fact I think its part of life and living. There is no need to go on about it ad nauseum. When there is so much talk about in the media generally, it creates an air of depression and it feeds on itself.

BIB - you're right, most people do. But there's a massive difference between 'a degree' of depression and the all-consuming illness it can become that leads to people having to take time off work for months on end. I've been through depression a couple of times over the years but thankfully, I've only been at rock bottom once. The rest of the time, I was down but I wanted to get better and fought hard to do so. If you've only been through 'a degree', you won't fully understand what it's like when pretty much all of your energy goes into thinking of reasons not to kill yourself, when even the idea of getting better is beyond imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

He didn't. He came back after a 6 month(?) absence and explained in less than 5 minutes what happened him and that he's glad to be back and delighted with all the get well messages. Hardly going on about it ad nauseum!!

Delighted to have him back. By telling us about his anxiety and overcoming it, he's helped people know that they can get over it too. Simple and effective.

Roll on John!! Miriam was geting too big for her boots anyway! Strutting around like she owns the place!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I'm glad he's back and wish him well.

But he used to rabbit on incessantly about exercise and ignoring all the signals his body sent him. Perhaps that'll cease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No, I just think that most people suffer from a degree of depression at some points in their lives. I certainly have. In fact I think its part of life and living.
    There is no need to go on about it ad nauseum.

Since when has anyone ever gone on about it? It needs to be talked about. If it does in fact happen to most people and it is a part of life then it needs to be talked about much more than it is.

Most people would have no problem telling people they were off work for 6 months due to a heart condition, however people are embarrassed to say they were off work for 6 months because they were depressed. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

sligojoek wrote: »
    It's good to hear John back. Already the show is more upbeat than it ever was with M O'C. It moves along quickly from subject to subject. There's nothing worse, first thing in the morning, than 30-40 minute interviews about cancer, depression, suicide and dead and dying children.

Yeah, put Joe Duffy on at 9am. Now that would be a ring of depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Depression? Someone mentioned before sometime that he had trouble with his back.Really shocked! How wrong they were.To think even he can get this disease, and I would have thought someone like him would never get it.Just goes to show that anyone can be in that situation and there is no one immune from this.Brave man alright.I had an ignorant view before :o.

Advertisement