Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That 5-second rule article was, even by the usual standards of the JM show, the stupidest radio I have heard in a very long time. I almost went to the calendar to check that it wasn't April 1st.

I now officially give up, for ever, on that show :mad:

Please let me know on this thread if anything changes - I won't be holding my breath though.

I dunno - Jimmy Crowley was good - interesting fella.

The lady who was caught up in the tube bombings was interesting.

The five-second rule was a bit of fluff.

I know the JM show doesn't deliver on every item, every morning. But they have a very tough position - can't do real news (Morning Ireland has that), can't do heavy current affairs (Sean O'Rouke), so has to do the lighter or human interest stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I know the JM show doesn't deliver on every item, every morning. But they have a very tough position - can't do real news (Morning Ireland has that), can't do heavy current affairs (Sean O'Rouke), so has to do the lighter or human interest stories.
    I thought the woman was in a train crash, not the london bombings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Sorry, didn't hear the start. Thought it was the london bombings...obviously i got that wrong.

Sorry, didn't hear the start. Thought it was the london bombings...obviously i got that wrong.
    No big deal! I was only half listening myself so I thought I was hallucinating or something! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

as the song goes, It's not what you do it's the way that you do it'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Correct. She was in the Paddington train crash of 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

I know the JM show doesn't deliver on every item, every morning. But they have a very tough position - can't do real news (Morning Ireland has that), can't do heavy current affairs (Sean O'Rouke), so has to do the lighter or human interest stories.[/QUOTE]

Ehm..no he doesn't.
    Look at Newstalk between 9 and 10!
    Excellent radio, not the lazy shyte that RTE shove out at this time slot.
    Like I said before, he makes Mooney look gooood!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Excellent radio
    Are you including the quiz in that assessment? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

serfboard wrote: »
    Correct. She was in the Paddington train crash of 1999.

I really enjoyed that interview. She was very articulate, informative and to the point. It thought john Murray interviewed her well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Call me Al wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that interview. She was very articulate, informative and to the point. It thought john Murray interviewed her well.

That's the most galling thing about John Murray; he is capable of far better items such as that interview.

More of the touching human interest stories like this, quirky current affairs issues, in depth celeb interviews, interesting live band insets and the community walks and less puerlie wise cracks, juvenile humour sketches, blatant blags for RTE shows and gigs and attempts at leftfield stories and this show can be saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Excellent radio.

Can't agree, Yates is too biased, right wing, conservative and misogynistic to ever cut it as a radio presenter.

Can't agree, Yates is too biased, right wing, conservative and misogynistic to ever cut it as a radio presenter.
    Can't agree.
    He's opinionated, but not conservative or misogynistic.
    If that "Anti-Woman" vibe comes across, he's just playing it up big time to get a reaction from a knowing Chris Donohue.
    And he pulls no punches when interviewing his old FG collegues!

It might come as a surprise to you that that kind of person is in the majority of radio listeners to news based stations..

They don't have Radio 1 tuned in down on the sinks dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

Excellent radio, not the lazy shyte that RTE shove out at this time slot.
    Like I said before, he makes Mooney look gooood!!!:rolleyes:

Strange, but every time I listen to NT between 9 and 10 all I hear is two tired ould lads bitching and moaning at each other. If Denis O'Brien has any sense he'd tell Pat Kenny to get in half an hour earlier and start his show at 9:30 and give back the 12:00-12:30 slot to the lunchtime news programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,999 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's the most galling thing about John Murray; he is capable of far better items such as that interview.

More of the touching human interest stories like this, quirky current affairs issues, in depth celeb interviews, interesting live band insets and the community walks and less puerlie wise cracks, juvenile humour sketches, blatant blags for RTE shows and gigs and attempts at leftfield stories and this show can be saved.

For all of the moaning and groaning I've done, I actually agree with this - especially the first bit.

I used to really enjoy JM when he did the Business Show on Saturday mornings - he brought a really light touch to material that could very easily have been boring or incomprehensible.

Occasionally nowadays he does a "serious" (not necessarily actually serious, but not skit material, IYKWIM) interview and it's a throwback to the old days. That interview that was mentioned, although I didn't hear it, I think is an example of what I mean.

But the direction he's gone (or been sent) on his current show is towards light, fluff sort of material, and his efforts at it are nothing short of excruciating.

I really, really wish they'd put him back doing what he's actually very good at, and leave the lame jokes and attempts at bad humour to Funny Friday when we all know not to tune in.

DownBeaten wrote: »
    Strange, but every time I listen to NT between 9 and 10 all I hear is two tired ould lads bitching and moaning at each other. If Denis O'Brien has any sense he'd tell Pat Kenny to get in half an hour earlier and start his show at 9:30 and give back the 12:00-12:30 slot to the lunchtime news programme.

I also agree with this :D

I've never, ever listened to Newstalk, so when I started tuning in recently as an alternative to JM, it was fresh and different. But about four weeks later, I'm sick of listening to the pair of them. The bitching and slagging about the sweaty cycling gear this morning was painful to listen to (so I didn't for very long!).

For all of the moaning and groaning I've done, I actually agree with this - especially the first bit.

I used to really enjoy JM when he did the Business Show on Saturday mornings - he brought a really light touch to material that could very easily have been boring or incomprehensible.

Occasionally nowadays he does a "serious" (not necessarily actually serious, but not skit material, IYKWIM) interview and it's a throwback to the old days. That interview that was mentioned, although I didn't hear it, I think is an example of what I mean.

But the direction he's gone (or been sent) on his current show is towards light, fluff sort of material, and his efforts at it are nothing short of excruciating.

I really, really wish they'd put him back doing what he's actually very good at, and leave the lame jokes and attempts at bad humour to Funny Friday when we all know not to tune in.

Actually very good at.

Adequate, average, ok, is wht I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I've never, ever listened to Newstalk, so when I started tuning in recently as an alternative to JM, it was fresh and different. But about four weeks later, I'm sick of listening to the pair of them. The bitching and slagging about the sweaty cycling gear this morning was painful to listen to (so I didn't for very long!).

Ivan is ok but I cannot stand that Chris o D, with his bull**** liberal agenda, always picks a piece written by someone like Fintan O Toole and the likes. Pronounce your Ts properly you twat.:mad:

But it's funny!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Florence is lovely

• Advertisement

But it's funny!!:P

We'll have to agree to disagree on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

And he pulls no punches when interviewing his old FG collegues!

Once FG, always FG - he'll never be entirely unbiased when it comes to political discussion.

It's shocking how nonchalantly this guy can describe attacking someone with a machete. Pissing me off how he's sort of linking sex abuse with his life of crime. Plenty of people are abused and don't turn out like him. Excuses excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

I tuned in by accident and for a second I thought it was Brendan Grace! :eek:

Journalist me hole, more like a scumbag with scumbag contacts who supply him with info for his scumbag paper.

sudzs wrote: »
    I tuned in by accident and for a second I thought it was Brendan Grace! :eek:

Journalist me hole, more like a scumbag with scumbag contacts who supply him with info for his scumbag paper.
    And the mother letting on now that she knew nothing about her son being in trouble. Funnily enough the first time she found out she knew all about his rights in terms of arrestation and constitutional rights.
    Major accusation against the gardai there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Major accusation against the gardai there too!

Poor John nearly fainted!!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

They have such selective memories, how convenient.

sudzs wrote: »
    Poor John nearly fainted!!! :D
    EXPUNGE, EXPUNGE! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Twas a great answer though,

'Where do you work?'

'The Burlington Hotel'

'Inside or outside?'

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I really like John Murray, and his show, for the most part. But I HATE that bit of 'humour' he always starts the show off with. It's nothing but stupidity dressed up with a punchline for the most part. I generally have to turn the radio off for the first two minutes of the show rather than gritting my teeth through it. He's a lovely man, but whoever told him he was a comedian did him no service whatsoever.

Who is this criminal on now, I have only just tuned in.

Advertisement