Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Is it possible that Brendan O'Connor will do the 9-10am slot on R1 for the summer and then just be left there?

It could be his consolation prize for being shifted off the telly on Saturday nights to make way for Ray 'Larry Grayson' D'Arcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I really can't see this show being remembered for anything really, which is a pretty sad indictment for all concerned.

In fairness, he made a good run of the various local community walks. These were very popular on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not that I give a damn but what's he doing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Not that I give a damn but what's he doing now?

Out to pasture on the Montrose prairie.,and still on the payroll:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Thought Claire Byrne came across very well when wishing JM the best. I must admit that she is doing a great job (Radio & TV) since switching to RTE (Her presenting style irritated me on Newstalk but that may have been the interactions she had with her co-presenters)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

For the past few years the 9-10 morning slot has really been the dead hour, with JM's mediocre (at best) offering, NewsTalk featuring the two bickering clowns yawning their way to the end of their shift, and the sheer rancid awfulness of Marty in the Morning.

A new broom could really take advantage of the situation with a fast moving show that will span the gap between the heavy talk shows.

And I fail to understand why NewsTalk don't tell PK to get up a bit earlier and start his show at 9:30, and return their lunchtime news starting time back to 12:00, it's crazy that the two big talking heads start their shows at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

I agree with others and have said previously that it's the slot that's the issue. I'd imagine that the show would be allowed no topic that was done on Morning Ireland, or that would be coming up on Sean O'Rourke ... that leaves slim pickens ...

I think that Newstalk do it better at this slot by simply extending the breakfat programme and having lighter topics.
    In my opinion anyway R1 should be a hard news station.

In my opinion there is no place for Ronan Collins on R1 in the core hours,if the listeners want that there are plenty of other stTions where it might be appropriate.
    Nothing against Ronan, but not on R 1.
    Agree also with this.

I'd move Marty from Lyric, where IMO he's in the wrong place, and combine him, Ronan and John Creedon, with a few A.N. others (I'd nick Tom Dunne from Newstalk) to create an Irish version of BBC Radio 2.

You'd then have

BBC Radio 4 -> RTE Radio 1
    BBC Radio 3 -> Lyric
    BBC Radio 2 -> RTE Radio 1 Music (or some other name)
    BBC Radio 1 -> 2FM

You could then solve the 9AM slot "problem" by having a medical/science/history/philosophy/personal interview programme, lots of possibilities and lots of examples you could nick from Radio 4 ...

Ah now BBc Radio 4 has faith in its listeners and those slots have been in situ since God was a child. If RTE attempted to parachute some fairly serious talking heads on weighty themes there would be murder.

Ah now BBc Radio 4 has faith in its listeners and those slots have been in situ since God was a child. If RTE attempted to parachute some fairly serious talking heads on weighty themes there would be murder.
    BBC Radio 4 programmes at 9AM (with thanks to Wikipedia):

Monday - Start the week - discussion panel with various guests, usually writers, artists, academics, journalists. On-air since 1970.

Tuesday - The Life Scientific - one-on-one discussion hosted by Professor Jim Al-Khalili (a theoretical physicist) with one guest, a scientist, about their work and life. On-air since 2011.

Wednesday - Midweek - Similar format to start the week.

Thursday - In Our Time - A programme about the history of ideas, with Melvyn Bragg and three (different) academics. On-air since 1998.

Friday - Desert Island Discs - one-on-one discussion with one guest, featuring their favourite eight songs. On-air since 1942 eek.png (If it ain't broke ... )

So they're not all there "since God was a child", but do range from 4 to 74 years old!

serfboard wrote: »
    BBC Radio 4 programmes at 9AM (with thanks to Wikipedia):

Monday - Start the week - discussion panel with various guests, usually writers, artists, academics, journalists. On-air since 1970.

Tuesday - The Life Scientific - one-on-one discussion hosted by Professor Jim Al-Khalili (a theoretical physicist) with one guest, a scientist, about their work and life. On-air since 2011.

Wednesday - Midweek - Similar format to start the week.

Thursday - In Our Time - A programme about the history of ideas, with Melvyn Bragg and three (different) academics. On-air since 1998.

Friday - Desert Island Discs - one-on-one discussion with one guest, featuring their favourite eight songs. On-air since 1942 eek.png (If it ain't broke ... )

So they're not all there "since God was a child", but do range from 4 to 74 years old!

Yeah but before Life Scientific there was something else based in science or humanities in that slot. The programmes may change but the thematic content remains fairly consistent.

• Advertisement

The programmes may change but the thematic content remains fairly consistent.
    And I'd guess we'd both agree that the quality remains high, which is why that's the station I listen to at that time.

Advertisement