Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Considering how many rugby players end up with spinal injuries and spend the rest of their lives in wheelchairs I don't know why it's called a game. Now they're talking about concussions. Surprise, surprise!! Having no interest in soccer (I wouldn't know a Gunner from a runner) I can appreciate the great skill associated with the game. To me rugby is all about brute force and the need to have a neck like a jockey's ballpoint . . . or something. As for the John Murray Show it should have been allowed to die a natural death. It has to be one of the most appalling programmes ever aired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I wonder how many complaints John will receive for his joke aimed at deaf people and sign language?

I hope there's no deaf people on the Tyrone footballer team, that could be the end of all possible future negotiations of a reconciliation..

I see RTE have finally decided that John Murray cant do comedy and are simply getting him to play some old comic sketches from the archives... D'Unbelievables the other day, The Two Ronnies today...

But the good news is that witch doctor (and part time newsreader) Michael Murphy will be in to dole out some more zero tolerance Christmas advice.. :D

"Your usual stingy self"... I expect a statement from RyanAir (when they work out the answer)...

Why are they starting the Operation Transformation the week before Christmas.. Talking about trying to start a car on a hill..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

I see RTE have finally decided that John Murray cant do comedy and are simply getting him to play some old comic sketches from the archives... D'Unbelievables the other day, The Two Ronnies today...

But the good news is that witch doctor (and part time newsreader) Michael Murphy will be in to dole out some more zero tolerance Christmas advice.. :D

Watch out for a lot of 'long lost' names to emerge from the swamps up to the sixth, sorry sikth of Jannury (sic).

Montrose will go into hibernation shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Model railways :rolleyes: This is the chirpiest Joe has sounded all year. :rolleyes:

Mary O'Rourke carried out revenge on that woman by making a balls of the Eircom sale, and bankrupting the country. I wish she would just go away..

That "comedy" piece at the start is still dreadful. They should just play the clips of real comedian if the HAVE to have a comedy piece at the start of John Murray's show..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mary O'Rourke, and then Manchan Magann (or whatever he's called). It's really BS central today.

"They left us to die in the Congo, and for the next few days, we did". No, you didn't, you're still here.

Mary O'Rourke carried out revenge on that woman by making a balls of the Eircom sale, and bankrupting the country. I wish she would just go away..

That "comedy" piece at the start is still dreadful. They should just play the clips of real comedian if the HAVE to have a comedy piece at the start of John Murray's show..

Don't worry county!you'll find the producer of that programme will be the very very last person in the whole country to realise that fact.

As soon as the promo gave the running order and the guests 'appearing' off went the auld car radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Haven't listened for ages, does Murray still do his own 'material'?

Would have thought after the Mickey Harte brouhaha, he'd scrap the segment.

OMG.

Are we going to be snowed under with Garth Brookes subliminal promos for the next four months.

This is really terrible rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Off to work now , thanks fcuk, couldn't face all the midlanders doing Gareth impressions with their awful accents .

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

What's the angle with Garth Brooks for RTE?
    Shay Byrne announcing a "Press Conference - Yee Haw" yesterday morning, A main item on the 3 o'clock news ffs, and now a whole show by John Murray on a couple of concerts.
    Are garth's people paying up big style for all this???:confused:

Shay Byrne announcing a "Press Conference - Yee Haw" yesterday morning, A main item on the 3 o'clock news ffs, and now a whole show by John Murray on a couple of concerts.

Don't know what the angle is from RTE,but one thing I do know is there is an angle somewhere.

Maybe someone more 'in the know' might enlighten us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I never have understood why 'some' gigs get huge promotion on RTE. Especially when it all seems to be coming from a presenter's personal favourites. Would also like to know if promoters pay for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I never have understood why 'some' gigs get huge promotion on RTE. Especially when it all seems to be coming from a presenter's personal favourites. Would also like to know if promoters pay for this.

The brown nosing is very annoying, Apparently Brooks did something like 20 interviews yesterdayin ridiculous time as his flight was delayed.

BUT its blatantly not an RTE thing and its actually hilarious how so many idiots are suggesting it is and that there is money involved.

Today FM had a Brooks dedicated Gift Grub and 20 minutes later had an interview with the man. He also had the most pointless phone-in where a woman bemoaned the fact her wedding and her brothers baby was due on the same dates as the concerts. So thats almost a third of my favourite hour of radio gone down the drain, very annoying.
    He got plenty of mentions on Phantom and Nova too while I looked for something bearable to listen to.

only1stevo wrote: »
    The brown nosing is very annoying, Apparently Brooks did something like 20 interviews yesterdayin ridiculous time as his flight was delayed.
    Nothing abnormal about that.
    BUT its blatantly not an RTE thing and its actually hilarious how so many idiots are suggesting it is and that there is money involved.
    Unless you have something to back that up I can't see how you can catergorically claim that it is 'idiocy' to suggest that money or favour may be changing hands here. It seems to go on in every other sphere of public life and has been proven to go on, why would it be different in RTE?
    The curious thing is that these 'gigs' that get heavy mention from hosts seem to eminate from one or two promoters.

Unless you have something to back that up I can't see how you can catergorically claim that it is 'idiocy' to suggest that money or favour may be changing hands here. It seems to go on in every other sphere of public life and has been proven to go on, why would it be different in RTE?
    The curious thing is that these 'gigs' that get heavy mention from hosts seem to eminate from one or two promoters.

Complete spoof, not how journalism works.
    The biggest gigs in Ireland are run by the biggest promoters in Ireland. More people go the biggest gigs in Ireland, go figure.
    The best PR companies are paid to promote the biggest gigs.

And obviously there are un-ethical journalists out there but to suggest the promoters have their grip on a nations media is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

...Unless you have something to back that up I can't see how you can catergorically claim that it is 'idiocy' to suggest that money or favour may be changing hands here. It seems to go on in every other sphere of public life and has been proven to go on, why would it be different in RTE?...
    It's idiotic to make allegations or insinuations of impropriety when you have nothing to back up the suggestion. And the rhetorical tone of your question reveals a lack of evidence. We cannot conduct a useful discussion on the basis that people have an obligation to disprove any and all wild claims.

Some people see it as cool to proclaim that they don't like Garth Brooks. They are entitled to their preferences. But the fact remains that there are very many people who do, and those people are also entitled to their preferences, and it's quite reasonable that RTÉ cater for that segment of the audience.

• Advertisement

only1stevo wrote: »
    promoters have their grip on a nations media is embarrassing.

Are we getting a bit over wrought there Gaybo? :rolleyes:

Gaybo?
    Bit early for the homophobic abuse.

Some people see it as cool to proclaim that they don't like Garth Brooks. They are entitled to their preferences. But the fact remains that there are very many people who do, and those people are also entitled to their preferences, and it's quite reasonable that RTÉ cater for that segment of the audience.

That's as maybe, I not particularily interested in Garth Brooks, what does interest me is the fact that these 'biggest gigs' seem to come with almost saturation level attention on magazine type programmes and I am interested in how that is achieved by the same promoters, over and over again.
    There are well attended and popular festivals and events(not run by the same promoters mentioned above) that are ignored by RTE too, what is the selection processes at editorial level I wonder? What gets you the level of saturation that the impending Brooks concert is getting?

A delicious irony, in that your post illustrates the very point that is being made against your argument: how can only1stevo prove that he is not Gaybo? And why should he have to?

A delicious irony, in that your post illustrates the very point that is being made against your argument: how can only1stevo prove that he is not Gaybo? And why should he have to?

He doesn't have to, I didn't ask him to prove it.
    I did ask him to back up his contention that it is 'idiocy to suggest' that there might (I stress 'might' as I only asked a question) be something going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

It's idiotic to make allegations or insinuations of impropriety when you have nothing to back up the suggestion. And the rhetorical tone of your question reveals a lack of evidence. We cannot conduct a useful discussion on the basis that people have an obligation to disprove any and all wild claims.

Yeah, but the fcukin 3 o'clock NEWS read by Eileen Dunne!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Garth Brooks speaks to middle Ireland and the mammies, so does RTE. They have something in common.

Yeah, but the fcukin 3 o'clock NEWS read by Eileen Dunne!!!!
    Would it be all right if it had been read by somebody else?

Many news bulletins include items of less than earth-shaking significance, such as a footballer having a knee injury or an actor getting divorced.

Despite everything it will be interesting to follow up the 'hype' for this concert.

Would appear to me anyway,that this lad is in a backwater careerwise and sees Ireland as a kind of cash cow.

Will be interesting to hear the 'punters' and of course one never can authenticate these phone calls,who call in to say they are putting weddings,honeymoons,huge events off as they clash with this event.

One would also wonder really and no matter what spin is put on these things RTE will give this one socks.

The claim is that brooks speaks to 'Middle Ireland' but other acts speak to other segments of the population without even a percentile of the plugging from RTE.

Like it or not it's a question which needs to be asked if for nothing else but to even up the playing field.

That my opinion anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I can't wait for the Chris Gaines concert dates to be announced. Might get a ticket to see that guy :pac:

Advertisement