Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I came on to say exactly this - Miriam fairly met her match (and a brick wall) when she went looking for the tittle-tattle angle to Vicky's story :D

I only woke up after the interview had started, so didn't hear any t&c's that might have been laid down at the start (indeed it took me quite a few minutes to work out who she was at all), but even in my befuddled state, I couldn't believe that Miriam would keep asking and asking and asking - it was an interview worthy of one of Joe's better days! - she sounded like a particularly nosey tabloid journo, or a village biddy looking for good gossip.

God bless your woman's patience that she didn't (as I would have) just let a roar "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS, (I told you before) THAT'S NOT WHY I'M HERE" :D

And I think Miriam has ruined the end of the movie...

Oh good, I was so busy typing my rant above, that I seem to have missed the spolier. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Full marks for effort to Miriam for repeatedly asking the same or similar questions about her personal life which Vicky said at the beginning she wouldn't answer!
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I came on to say exactly this - Miriam fairly met her match (and a brick wall) when she went looking for the tittle-tattle angle to Vicky's story :D

I only woke up after the interview had started, so didn't hear any t&c's that might have been laid down at the start (indeed it took me quite a few minutes to work out who she was at all), but even in my befuddled state, I couldn't believe that Miriam would keep asking and asking and asking - it was an interview worthy of one of Joe's better days! - she sounded like a particularly nosey tabloid journo, or a village biddy looking for good gossip.

God bless your woman's patience that she didn't (as I would have) just let a roar "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS, (I told you before) THAT'S NOT WHY I'M HERE" :D
    I'm definitely not a fan of Miriam's but in this instance fair play to her for repeatedly asking the question that I wanted answered.

I liked the way Miriam kept calling her an intelligent woman - if I could ascribe an intelligent deviousness to this line of questioning it would be this - "how the f**k does an 'intelligent' woman like yourself tell the cops that you took penalty points for someone else and not think that that would land you in trouble?".

"Hell hath no fury ... " and so on, but her stupid/blinded attempt at revenge landed her in the clink. Now, she wants to make money off her time there by writing a book - well you can f**k off if you think you're going to promote a book about your time in prison without giving us all the low-down on how you got there.

I gave up listening after about the third time Miriam asked the question and it was obvious your one wasn't going to answer it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I caught the end of the interview... Miriam asked "How do you get on with your ex husband?" and the response was "I'm not prepared to discuss my personal life".... If I was Miriam I would have handed her back her book and said "well if you're not prepared to give us anything to make the interview interesting, you're not getting free air time to sell your book"... Brendan O'Connor was the man for that interview.

I caught the end of the interview... Miriam asked "How do you get on with your ex husband?" and the response was "I'm not prepared to discuss my personal life".... If I was Miriam I would have handed her back her book and said "well if you're not prepared to give us anything to make the interview interesting, you're not getting free air time to sell your book"... Brendan O'Connor was the man for that interview.

Well the bit I heard involved Miriam digging and digging for some gossipy background, and having it explained to her over and over again what the woman WAS actually on the programme to talk about, and that she wasn't prepared to go into personal details or her personal history.

Now I can't imagine that she came on the programme and all of a sudden decided to clam up with no warning - I'm fairly sure that Miriam would have been briefed as to the boundaries of the interview. Fair enough if they decided not to do the interview on that basis.

But for the interviewer to keep digging like that was just cheap tabloid journalism at its worst, and sounded like awful tat to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Yeah that Vicky wan should have not been allowed on if she didn't want to discuss her own stupidity......she wants people to buy her book I suppose instead....:rolleyes:.Annoying woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

she wasn't prepared to go into ... her personal history.
    Yeah, but she gets to promote her book on radio because of her personal history, so I think it's only fair that, quid pro quo, she has to discuss some of that personal history in order to be allowed to promote her book.

Otherwise, as I say, she can f**k off.
    I'm fairly sure that Miriam would have been briefed as to the boundaries of the interview. Fair enough if they decided not to do the interview on that basis.
    I'd agree with this. If it was me, and if she had established that rule, then I wouldn't have had her on.

Then again, a lot of broadcasters will try and ambush someone once they get them on air. Miriam wouldn't be the first to do it, and she won't be the last. (AFAIK there was an incident involving Gay Byrne and John B. Keane where John B said he didn't want something discussed. Fair enough, says Gay. Gets him on the (late late) show, it's one of the first questions he asks. "You're an awful hoor, Byrne" says John B. Or words to that effect).

serfboard wrote: »
    Yeah, but she gets to promote her book on radio because of her personal history, so I think it's only fair that, quid pro quo, she has to discuss some of that personal history in order to be allowed to promote her book. Otherwise, as I say, she can f**k off.

Yeah this is my thinking as well.. If you dont allow the interviewer to have any control of the content of the interview, then it's basically a free infomercial.. I would have cut the interview short, and given Twink a ring during the ad break.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Yeah this is my thinking as well.. If you dont allow the interviewer to have any control of the content of the interview, then it's basically a free infomercial.. I would have cut the interview short, and given Twink a ring during the ad break.

or in this case a free commercial for her book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ah Jimmy McGee. I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The giggly teenager in the background has to go!

Ah Jimmy McGee. I'm out.

Oh it is Jimmy. I just tuned in and was wondering if it was. He sounds very old and a little feeble. How old is he??

"Is he number two or number three on the list"..

It's your list, memory man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

John Murray coming back on Nov 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ron Scott wrote: »
    Link?

Who's John Murray?? :pac:

I wont believe it til I read it in the RTE guide.

A trillion texts? Really?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

louisbalfourjazzclub-nice.jpg

Oh god, I'm cringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Oh god my ears

bit early in the morning for that

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Pity Jimmy's timing is woeful. You have to observe the basic principle of keeping time, otherwise it's garbage.

did they cut off his mic?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

did they cut off his mic?:pac:

Really, there's no call for such barbaric behaviour. Oh, sorry, did you mean "microphone?" Mind you, the possible accompanying sounds would have been less excruciating than his attempts at "jazz singing".

"it's not a glass ceiling, it's a concrete ceiling"

I don't think Mary McAvoy quite gets the concept of the glass ceiling. :rolleyes:

Miriam (to prospective Operation Transformation Candidate): "Are you overweight Catherine?"

What a stupid question.. No Miriam, I rang in for Late Late Toy Show ticket but the receptionist put me through to the wrong department.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I fully understand why someone might want to leave a job that they don't feel fulfilled in, but I would have thought it foolish for them to leave without having at least something to go into such is what Alan Cantwell did.I thought at the time he was going to be moving to the US?.What happened to that? He still has not sourced another position, well except writing a few articles for newspapers.Even his kids are a bit tired of him now:D.

Regards going to the social welfare office and seeing people there with gloomy faces? What did he expect? Everyone there laughing and joking? I am sorry Alan but these places would not put you in a jovial mood I am afraid.I wish the man well,he did say he thought about it for a while beforehand but he should have thought his decision through some more before making it.He has kids to think about too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Came in shortly after the beginning of that and spent a fair while trying to figure out who he was. Classic mid atlantic accent and no surprise to hear he started out with the pirate stations of the 80s. First I thought he might be Scott Williams, then I was thinking Mark Lyttle, then the TV3 references eliminated him. For a good 20 minutes Miriam gave no clue whatsoever.

Strange interview in other ways. He said the dole queue was the most dispiriting, dehumanising ritual ever, people with dead eyes, devoid of joy and hope. Then he says he personally had no problem with it the experience!

On finances, he said when he quit he didn't really worry because he was pretty much set up for ............. (I was expecting him to say a couple of years) ......... a couple of months!

Advertisement