Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who hates Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You said you only got a bit of trouble once in your six months, now you are saying that Northsiders start fights with you more or less every night you go out in Dublin? Sounds like tall stories to be honest. I go out a lot with Cork people in Dublin and they never get hassle because of where they are from.

well im not lying. i didnt say they start fights they are just pig ignorant over it. get your facts right, some people...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I like Dublin ... but only for a few days every now & then. Wouldn't want to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Sometimes.
    When I reflect on how **** the public transport is and hoe everyone is out to rip you off. And how there's not much to do in the city. And I don't like how many areas have become very unsafe and the areas which are safe are often full of self righteous people. And how you can't go anywhere without coming across an empty can of Dutch Gold...

Also a lot has to do with the recession and how ridiculously screwed up the HSE is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'm from Dublin all my life, well north Co. Dublin, living in 'the city' (if you can call it that with our small rises) a few years now.
    Dublin is a sh!t hole really, its full of junkies, knackers, aul ones, young ones who dress up like hookers even though no one else in uk rest of europe or the world do, people who think they are trendy and think they are all important living in London but infact they live in dublin which is not even a blip on the worlds radar and no one gives a sh!t about them.

I would move in a heart beat but i have job for life and it would be pretty stupid to leave that now wouldnt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I think Dublin takes a while to get used to for country folk like myself for a number of reasons; the cost of living compared to anywhere else in the country, the attitudes of certain Dublin people to country people, Dublin bus, etc. Most people I know who aren't from there or never lived there absolutely hate the place (especially those who have lived in nicer cities like Galway and Cork). Once you get used to it though I think it's a fine place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

I don't "hate" Dublin but I when I think of how I would like my life to pan out and consist of, I think of other cities in other countries. Dublin will always be the place I was born and for that, I will always respect it but the fact is that there just isn't any opportunities here for me at the moment. People will complain about the small annoyances but I couldn't give a damn if Dublins economy was still raging. The infrastructure compared to other European cities are laughable too and entertainment is similar to a small village in the Congo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I really really don't like Dublin. Any time I go there I get hassled in some way by junkies or kn@cks...

So many people say Dublin is huge, maybe it is huge compared to the likes of Cork and Galway but its by no means huge on the grand scale of things. Its like in Galway there are so many people with big city attitude when Galway is the size of a town not a city! Grrr...

Dundrum and Blanchardstown are impressive looking but theres not much there to keep my interest....Liffey Valley is awful.

Flying into Dublin airport is really depressing too. You leave a place like Florida where the people are friendly and you have somebody guiding people and saying thanks for coming..then you get to Dublin airport and go to Passport control. The guy doesn't lift his head up to look at you, mutters something, you ask what he said and he waves you on....

The only things I like about the place is the history of it but again once you've seen what you want to see there's not much else to do.

rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Dublin is'nt perfect but then nowhere is. I prefer Cork but then again if born in Dublin I may well prefer Dublin. For its size it has a fair bit of traffic problems and crime but then again Dublin always has great giggs on offer. I think Cork has better pubs but then Dublin has better clubs. What I do hate is these stupid threads full of people being negative about one place or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Most people I know who aren't from there or never lived there absolutely hate the place (especially those who have lived in nicer cities like Galway and Cork).

Out of interest, what makes towns like Galway and Cork nicer? Having spent time in both, I think they are nice, but I couldnt rate either of them against a city like Dublin.

Also in relation to the constant 'skangers and junkies' points, I really do not believe it is a Dublin problem, but an Irish problem. Having lived in Europe for a few years, I have never had probs with types like the Irish skanger. But I have in Cork, Limerick, Wicklow etc. Also in all my time in Dublin, I have been hassled by these on about 3 occasions, in 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The Irish are the most negative people I know (See....)

But seriously.... Why are Irish people so self loathing?... "Typical Irish"... and all that.

Have some feckin pride in your country and capital.

Personally I think the skanger element in Irish society and indeed the chavs in the UK are a by product of the police not being more prevalent and also being armed.

Anywhere in Europe has the same sort of people but they keep a lower profile because of the risk to themselves of getting shot by police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,238 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

yupyup7up wrote: »
    Pros :
    next to a beach
    coppers
    loads of gigs etc going on
    lots of sports to watch and play
    merrion road and around blackrock etc. is a really nice area
    herbert park
    public transport

Eh... what???!
    Saruman wrote: »
    The Irish are the most negative people I know (See....)

But seriously.... Why are Irish people so self loathing?... "Typical Irish"... and all that.

Have some feckin pride in your country and capital.

Personally I think the skanger element in Irish society and indeed the chavs in the UK are a by product of the police not being more prevalent and also being armed.

Anywhere in Europe has the same sort of people but they keep a lower profile because of the risk to themselves of getting shot by police.

Give me something to be proud, and yea I shall show thee pride. The thing is, I don't automatically like Dublin, just because I come from Dublin.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Dublin is your typical European capital kip, full of class distinction to be seen everywere which makes me throw up. theres the multicultural crap that has provided more misery for the local population who just want to served by someone in a shop with a smile and speaking the same fookin language, not to mention reading about a smaller dole cue as them that came over here and "took ours jobs" (best South park accent) have gone back home. then theres the Skangers, people who should be wiped of the face of the earth like the way the toilet paper cleans your backside. I got out of there long ago arsed if ill ever go back except for the odd Metallica concert

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Dublin is your typical European capital kip, full of class distinction to be seen everywere which makes me throw up. theres the multicultural crap that has provided more misery for the local population who just want to served by someone in a shop with a smile and speaking the same fookin language, not to mention reading about a smaller dole cue as them that came over here and "took ours jobs" (best South park accent) have gone back home. then theres the Skangers, people who should be wiped of the face of the earth like the way the toilet paper cleans your backside. I got out of there long ago arsed if ill ever go back except for the odd Metallica concert

Ah right, class distiction= bad/ every other type of distinction= good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Out of interest, what makes towns like Galway and Cork nicer? Having spent time in both, I think they are nice, but I couldnt rate either of them against a city like Dublin.

Also in relation to the constant 'skangers and junkies' points, I really do not believe it is a Dublin problem, but an Irish problem. Having lived in Europe for a few years, I have never had probs with types like the Irish skanger. But I have in Cork, Limerick, Wicklow etc. Also in all my time in Dublin, I have been hassled by these on about 3 occasions, in 30 years.

They nicked my phone once...

And although most skangers don't really hassle you although they might say something which you might laugh at. They just make parts of the city look very unsafe and unfavorable to go.

Like I really wouldn't feel safe walking around most of Dublin at night time.
    Only a few streets like lower bits of O'Connell street and Grafton street area feels safe because of many people being there and usually the presence of Gards. But I just don't feel Dublin a very safe city to walk around.

You may argue most cities are not safe to walk around during the night time but in Dublin almost the whole city feels unsafe. I feel unsafe walking down to my place from the bus stop late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,238 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Out of interest, what other European capitals have you been in? Judging by the dislike of multiculturalism, I'm guessing none. As for speaking "the same fookin (sic)language" well... what languages do you want to hear?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Dublin is your typical European capital kip, full of class distinction to be seen everywere which makes me throw up. theres the multicultural crap that has provided more misery for the local population who just want to served by someone in a shop with a smile and speaking the same fookin language, not to mention reading about a smaller dole cue as them that came over here and "took ours jobs" (best South park accent) have gone back home.

Dead right brother. They should piss off back to Kerry where they came from...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I love Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Dublin has a lot to offer.
    Yes there are dirty areas, just like every city, but you've got easy access to very other part of the country. You have the sea right next to you, and a couple of fair to middling beaches to go with it. You've also got the mountains on your door step. The biggest walled park in Europe complete with its own zoo.
    The transport is crap, but that's the same all over the country and in contrast to other Irish cities Dublin's transport system is fantastic.

It's not all fantastic, but the geographical location (sea mountains etc...) alone pisses all over most cities. There's plenty to do if you're willing to get out and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I was in the city centre for the first time in quite a while (during daylight hours at least) and it reminded me how much I love the city.

All of you who hate it, you're missing out! There's a lot of great stuff to see and do, and a lot of great times to be had if you're willing to go and have them.

It has its problems but so does every city. It's naive to think that other cities are free of the problems we have, or have it any better than us. The more cities you visit, the more you realise they're all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I actually used to hate Dublin a lot, and don't have much time for the rest of the country. Basically, if I'm living in Ireland I'll be living in Dublin and no where else. I was desperate to move out of Ireland, and was about to but got an odd appreciation for the place and have actually warmed to it.

The city can drive you mad sometimes and can drain you, but there are some suburbs that are actually really nice and pleasant. Dublin city can get a bit much sometimes, but the suburbs can be quite nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

I think my gripe lays with 'home' in general.

I find Dublin boring beyond belief and I think it may be because I'm addicted to travel that should not develop into a distaste for Dublin because no matter where I was from, I'd have the same problem. I just feel like I'm dead in Dublin or perhaps, sleeping. Only when I arrive in a foreign country, my cock gets hard and I feel like I'm finally alive...having woken up from a terrible nightmare.

Well, that's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Dublin is a nice city to work in, go shopping in and go out in though. Anything else well I prefer Cork city though. I don't hate Dublin though, lovely City by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Where im from most people would'nt react and get personally offended and use profanity when someone is expressing a opinion. Its hateful

Firstly, It's no coincidence your last (and only?) Thread on Boards was also a complaint about how Irish guys have no balls because they don't chat you up when you're out (Lucky them). In that particular thread I also recall that it was you that was being ridiculously defensive to whatever was being said.

Secondly, Some of the responses I've read on this one so far probably sound hateful but IMO you provoke them so stop playing the victim-that's what you seem to be here for-That and to spread depression.

Lastly, Every time you post....It looks ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

The problem is youse boggers don't know where to go, art galleries & temple bar :rolleyes:
    It's the same with the tourists, what do we do? Oh, you have to do the guinness brewery & the bus tour of dublin, they're great, have any of us dubs done either? like fook we have. We are just keeping the good spots bogger & tourist free :D

Seriously though, stop getting wound up, we only call you boggers etc to wind you up, if you were a dub you'd be getting stick about something else. To be honest, the majority of the dubs posting in AH, I'd consider complete muppets :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

How many more bloody threads about how ****e ya s all think Dublin is ffs!
    If you dont like it no one is making you stay here **** off to somewhere else and stop pissing and moaning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dublin is one of the better cities around.

When people are asked which cities they'd prefer it always seems to be cities like London and New York that are given as answers. These and cities like them are major world cities and it is grossly unfair to use them to compare Dublin against.

I'm from Dublin and cant think of many cities i'd be prepared to leave for and even then it would have to be through necessity. There are none in the UK and certainly none in Ireland that I'd leave for.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

orourkeda wrote: »
    Dublin is one of the better cities around.

When people are asked which cities they'd prefer it always seems to be cities like London and New York that are given as answers. These and cities ike them are major world cities and it is grossly unfair to use them to compare Dublin against.

I'm from Dublin and cant think of many cites i'd be prepared to leave for and even then it would have to be through necessity. There are none in the UK and certainly none in Ireland that I'd leave for.

Certainly agree with you about cities in Ireland and UK. New York however :) If only for a few years...............

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

i dont really hate it, im not from here, but im irish, yet find its becoming more like a jungle, tallaght is a dump - junkie scumbags with no brains hassling people. i do hate the accents though, yis are loud, aggressive and well good luck to ye. even if ye arent aggresive it just sounds aggresive and most foreigners find it difficult to understand the english, i know ye can speak clearly and slowly but many dont want to, to be nice! yes, nice!

no, id never buy here, it wont be my home.

then on the other hand, the d4 'dort' accent, get off your high horses yis sound well like asshole'ish, it does not suit you!

Cullen82 wrote: »
    Certainly agree with you about cities in Ireland and UK. New York however :) If only for a few years...............

New York is a great city to visit. However, I imagine that cities like this can become very lonely very quickly unless you've a solid base there. Knowing some people there would take the sting out of it but otherwise I'd be a touch wary.

• Advertisement

From Cork are we?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement