Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who hates Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Cullen82 wrote: »
    Firstly, It's no coincidence your last (and only?) Thread on Boards was also a complaint about how Irish guys have no balls because they don't chat you up when you're out (Lucky them). In that particular thread I also recall that it was you that was being ridiculously defensive to whatever was being said.

Secondly, Some of the responses I've read on this one so far probably sound hateful but IMO you provoke them so stop playing the victim-that's what you seem to be here for-That and to spread depression.

Lastly, Every time you post....It looks ugly.

Well what rattled you cage. They did say insulting and offensive things. Its hard to get a normal relpy from anyone without them being sarcastic or insulting or offensive. My posts are not depressing you call are real life, normal, thoughtful posts ugly ? compared to some of the things i have read on here would make you really depressed alot about the sad news of the day and stoning of people and everything that is barbaric and things that don't help you have faith in humanity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Con1988

Hello,

I have been living in dublin for 3 years now. It could be alot worse than other cities, Im here for college it has a few good colleges and that but living here gets on my last nerve sometimes i lose patience at times. Im thinking is there anyone else who hates living in dublin and reasons why? im sure there are. I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts, feelings and opinions. Thank you

Completely agree mate, been living here all my life a whole 22 years, moving off to Galway on Sunday and can't wait!!

Dublin is too expensive, portentous, overpriced, rude and full of scumbags. There is some decent people here but, my god Dublin has lost its charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 uwala

The worst thing about Dublin is there are loads of primitive boggers walking around with their head looking up at the skyscrapers saying "Diddle-dee-Dyddle-dee, Begorrah and Bejaysus boy, would ye luuk at all dem Jackeens, begorrah!". This is supposed to be an "insult", or something.

Would you bog-monkeys not just feck off back into your bog-holes and play patty-stick-shillelagh-ball or whatever its called. And take your stupid jerseys and your "up the banner/kingdom/lillywhites etc" gibberish with you. Go back to the farm and work. Thats your job. You are not allowed in the city.

Signed
    your Dublin masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Con1988 wrote: »
    Completely agree mate, been living here all my life a whole 22 years, moving off to Galway on Sunday and can't wait!!

Dublin is too expensive, portentous, overpriced, rude and full of scumbags. There is some decent people here but, my god Dublin has lost its charm.

I think you've just grown up.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago but in a way, I've outgrown Dublin, for lack of a better word but I think it's a perfect description of my feelings in this city. I've just outgrown it - my goals and ambitions are clearly limited in this country, it's a simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dublin's not to be hated, just more pitied really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ave Nocturna

It is what it is... It, like any other county, belongs to the one country.

I cannot understand this urban/rural divide nonsense. There's good, bad, evil, scum, noble in every county. In fairness, Dublin has a huge population. It is bound to get more negative press.

Maybe it's just me but as a Dubliner, I've no problem with "the boggers". I don't care enough about the juvenile riffs going on to consider hating them.

It's one country, why the d@mn war?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

But...but...THEY TOOK OUR JEEEEBS!

DERKKA DURRRBS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

I am beginning to think you are right. It seems that all the these comments come from people who have come 'up for the match' on a sunday in September, go on the lock in Temple Bar, Flannnerys, Coppers or Roddy Bolands, eat in Abrakebabra, watch the match, repeat the above and then go home on Bus Eireann.

If I was ever to describe some of the bigger towns in Ireland like Cork, Limerick etc I would have to include:

Dirty city
    No parks,
    No areas to walk
    Trashy people everywhere
    Crowds everywhere
    Small and dirty filthy sidewalks
    Very poor shopping
    Ugly and suicidal weather
    Everything over priced
    Dirty and substandard rental apartments
    Not much architecture and not much to see

Not much difference to whay people think of Dublin. Strange that..
    I go even further other so beautiful cities live Naples, Paris London are all just as dirty and if worse so think before you type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

Before you judge Dublin, pause and take a look at your own village/town/county im sure there is alot of similarities

Before you judge Dublin, pause and take a look at your own village/town/county im sure there is alot of similarities
    I am not judging Dublin I was born and raised in Dublin and very proud to say that, yes there are faults there but show any big city in world and you will find the same, we are friendly, help people to go to where they want to go and the streets are constantly cleaned if people would only throw their own rubbish into the bins it would be a lot better, if you shop around you will find cheaper places to eat where the food is excellent. Unlike the Americans we do not have to tip 6 dollars per person per day and they come over here and give pittance tips and I have yet to see a clean city in the u.s.a.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

Dublin is depressing but you have to make the most of it. It could be alot worse.

Dublin is depressing but you have to make the most of it. It could be alot worse.
    To right I was in Budapest who also joined the E U and their leaders spent their money doing up their own parliament and not on the people, the year before there was a big riot and a lot of people were hurt, we joined in with them holding The Irish Flag with a message in their language that we were supporting the people who were very poor and their living standards were sub standard I do hope that it has improved now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

margarite wrote: »
    I go even further other so beautiful cities live Naples, Paris London are all just as dirty and if worse so think before you type.

With all due respect Margarite, I have no idea what you are trying to say here (if anything). So please make sure your messages make sense in english before you type.

With all due respect Margarite, I have no idea what you are trying to say here (if anything). So please make sure your messages make sense in english before you type.
    Did ever think that your grasp of the English Language is not as good as mine so I will put in simple English just for you. Yes Dublin has its faults but there are other cities that due to its governments spending their money on themselves rather then their people their cities are being ruined through pure neglect IS THIS SIMPLE ENOUGH FOR YOU OF WILL I BREAK DOWN EVEN FURTHER.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I am from Cork but when I go up to Dublin there are even more junkies and scumbags somehow than Cork. I mean, I love visiting the place, the architecture is beatiuful, I love the shopping centres (Jervis is my favourite), and there is great food. (Annes is great) I really like visiting the place. This doesn't affect my trip BTW, but the sheer amount of junkies begging is unreal.

For example in Cork, it is mainly by the Simon homeless shelter do you see the junkies, the dumpies, death warmed up. But in Dublin I saw a fair few on my last visit on Henry Street. But I think this is expected to be of a large city. I was in New York in May and saw a fair amount of crackheads, and I was only on the popular route.

But if you see junkies all the time in the city centre I can understand how people living in Dublin would think "WTF is this".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Did ever think that your grasp of the English Language is not as good as mine so I will put in simple English just for you. Yes Dublin has its faults but there are other cities that due to its governments spending their money on themselves rather then their people their cities are being ruined through pure neglect IS THIS SIMPLE ENOUGH FOR YOU OF WILL I BREAK DOWN EVEN FURTHER.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ironic posting ftw! :pac:

CorkMan wrote: »
    I am from Cork but when I go up to Dublin there are even more junkies and scumbags somehow than Cork. I mean, I love visiting the place, the architecture is beatiuful, I love the shopping centres (Jervis is my favourite), and there is great food. (Annes is great) I really like visiting the place. This doesn't affect my trip BTW, but the sheer amount of junkies begging is unreal.

For example in Cork, it is mainly by the Simon homeless shelter do you see the junkies, the dumpies, death warmed up. But in Dublin I saw a fair few on my last visit on Henry Street. But I think this is expected to be of a large city. I was in New York in May and saw a fair amount of crackheads, and I was only on the popular route.

But if you see junkies all the time in the city centre I can understand how people living in Dublin would think "WTF is this".
    This I agree with I worked in methadone clinics in Castle Street, Ballyfermot and Tallaght and there are not enough places for all of the people that want to go on a program, and with the government cutting the health service down even further heaven knows what it is like. Some of the clients never had it easy cutting down and more help should be provided but by whom. I had to leave the methadone clinics as I could not deal with the amount of overdoses that were happening every day and the amount of people crying to get their children into programs and then there were the others selling their methadone to the dealers just so they could still get a bit of a fix.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

Dublin isn't such a bad city but it's crazy to even compare it to cities like London. Places like Dún Laoghaire and Dundrum Town Centre are pleasant to go out to but the city centre is quite shabby, particularly around O'Connell Street.

Lifelike wrote: »
    Dublin isn't such a bad city but it's crazy to even compare it to cities like London. Places like Dún Laoghaire and Dundrum Town Centre are pleasant to go out to but the city centre is quite shabby, particularly around O'Connell Street.
    Yes I do agree there was supposed to be coffee shops into the center of Dublin where the trees were replaced but I guess the useless spire took all of the money away for that. There are to many useless restaurants in our main street, and I do hate seeing this compared with the beauty of Paris, Vienna etc.

Ironic posting ftw! :pac:
    What do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

What do you mean?

This.

Yes I do agree there was supposed to be coffee shops into the center of Dublin where the trees were replaced but I guess the useless spire took all of the money away for that. There are to many useless restaurants in our main street, and I do hate seeing this compared with the beauty of Paris, Vienna etc.

Well you can't see the spire is useless, its a big landmark. I'm sure some people in Paris say the same about the Eiffel Tower, or in London that the London Bridge is a useless route or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yes, I do agree there was supposed to be coffee shops put into the center of Dublin Dublin city centre where the trees were replaced removed, but I guess the useless spire took all of the money away for that. There are to many useless restaurants in our main street, and I do hate seeing this compared with the beauty of Paris, Vienna etc.

A bit OT, but seriously Margarite, is english your first language? I too, find it very hard to understand your posts. I keep having to read them twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

A bit OT, but seriously Margarite, is english your first language? I too, find it very hard to understand your posts. I keep having to read them twice.

Thank you. But be warned. Margarite doesnt like this being pointed out, as I already found out. I genuinely was trying to figure out what her point was. I still dont know:

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is trying to be said here? (and what it has to do with people hating Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

To right I was in Budapest who also joined the E U and their leaders spent their money doing up their own parliament and not on the people, the year before there was a big riot and a lot of people were hurt, we joined in with them holding The Irish Flag with a message in their language that we were supporting the people who were very poor and their living standards were sub standard I do hope that it has improved now.:)

I reckon they're erecting a monument dedicated to you as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

About 10 years ago in Temple Bar me,my brother and a friend got held up by a gang who demanded money off us.Held a syringe(sp) to my brothers throat and said he'd jam it in if we shouted/ran/didnt pay up.What choice did we have but to hand over money.It was money he wanted,not our phones or ipods etc.My friend had only enough money left for bus fare home so after explaining that to him the guy let him off,such nice scumbags they have in Dublin:).
    That was one incident though,any other of the seemingly 100's of times ive gone up there to concerts,games in Croke Park etc there's never been a problem.
    Someone in work once compared Dublin to London by saying inner city London is nice but the surrounding suburbs/towns etc are holes.He said Dublin was the opposite,im not so sure.Its not too bad.

After thinking a bit, I can recollect another incident.

I came up from Cork and got on the LUAS. I slightly, inadverently, made eye contact with a man. The fella next to him said "Theres a big fella this time" in other words he fought another person before, possibly implying that day. Ya man stared at me a bit but nothing came of it ;)

The same day I saw a fellla who might as well has "S-C-U-M" imprinted on his forehead. He didn't have a tracksuit or white runners, but he had a very angry face, pure fixed, and he was looking around menacely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I actually miss dublin.... I love where i am but i miss the Dubs... Yes it sounds mad but such is life...

Fcuk cork..... and roy keane :P

I actually miss dublin.... I love where i am but i miss the Dubs... Yes it sounds mad but such is life...

Fcuk cork..... and roy keane :P

Keano > Liam Brady :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

CorkMan wrote: »
    The same day I saw a fellla who might as well has "S-C-U-M" imprinted on his forehead. He didn't have a tracksuit or white runners, but he had a very angry face, pure fixed, and he was looking around menacely.

Seeing an angry man is hardly an 'incident'. You're not exactly gonna get a book out of that story.
    And you may not have noticed, but menacing men exist outside of Dublin too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement