Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who hates Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am just given you an example of how things are dysfunction here. So by pointing out a fact like the transport system is poor here that means I am unfit. Would you say that to a single mother with young children or to a disablied or sick person? I walk most places that are safe to walk but I wouldn't risk my life cycling, the cycling paths here are poor, there are many roads that don't have a cycling path and the cycling paths here are not up to the standard. Its very easy to get killed cycling here, there are many cyclist that get killed here each year. They have to put up with a lot from agressive drivers who should really cop on because cyclists are the most vulnerable on the roads
    But you are not disabled are you ? So dont put that on me .,
    Look at the bright side of things , enjoy life , get a DART to Dun Laoire and smell the sea and brighten your day .

Oh and not once in my post did I say you were unfit ,where did that come from .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't particularly like it, it's full of scum and knackers, has **** transport and is full of ugly buildings
    I walk most places that are safe to walk but I wouldn't risk my life cycling, the cycling paths here are poor, there are many roads that don't have a cycling path and the cycling paths here are not up to the standard. Its very easy to get killed cycling here, there are many cyclist that get killed here each year. They have to put up with a lot from agressive drivers who should really cop on because cyclists are the most vulnerable on the roads

cycling in Dublin is not remotely dangerous IMO unless you're a total pussy. you don't need cycle paths or lanes, just use the roads; that's what they're there for. There are not many cyclists killed in Dublin every year, there are very very few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    But you are not disabled are you ? So dont put that on me .,
    Look at the bright side of things , enjoy life , get a DART to Dun Laoire and smell the sea and brighten your day .

The publice transoport system is meant to meet the transport needs of EVERYONE especially our most vulnerable because many of them do not drive. That is basic. Many people who use public transport do not drive. Use your head it's suppose to be a first world country, look at the transport system.

I don't particularly like it, it's full of scum and knackers, has **** transport and is full of ugly buildings

cycling in Dublin is not remotely dangerous IMO unless you're a total pussy. you don't need cycle paths or lanes, just use the roads; that's what they're there for. There are not many cyclists killed in Dublin every year, there are very very few.

Well its not up to the standard so that says it all.

The publice transoport system is meant to meet the transport needs of EVERYONE especially our most vulnerable because many of them do not drive. That is basic. Many people who use public transport do not drive
    Oh believe you me I am well aware of disabled people and their problems but I was adressing you .You are the one whinging about your ability to get around .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Since you ask and my subtlety ain't workin, the question marks were expressing my amazement that anyone would use such a word.

My point is proven. Rah Rah Rah to you too!!! :)

So far on this thread about Dublin, you've mentioned being lonely, not speaking up for yourself and a whole host of other personal issues.

i genuinely don't think Dublin, as a city, is the cause of these problems.

I do, because I didn't start out that way, and it's not the case now. For the longest time I thought it was me. I now realise that it wasn't.

I find people in London warm and friendly and interested in ordinary discussions. I just don't find that in Dublin the last few years.

The public transport system is meant to meet the transport needs of EVERYONE

no, its not. The purpose of public transport is the mass transport of people. It cannot and will not ever be suited to the needs of everyone, nor should it try cos it's a waste of money.

It's a balance of trying to find the best option to move the most amount of people in the fastest, cheapest manner possible.

Well its not up to the standard so that says it all.

what's not up to standard?

cycle lanes? No they're not so use the roads, quicker and safer than using lanes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

From a setting point of view Dublin is actually really nice:
    -Wicklow mountains to the south
    -Miles of beaches and pretty coastline (Killiney, Dalkey, Howth, Malahide etc)
    -Nice canals

Apart from that, the city centre is a bit too small in my opinion, and it lacks any architecture of note. On every street there are about 5 newsagents (be it spar, centra or whatever), this really pisses me off.

For those who say that Dubliners are rude, think again. You won't find a capital city of 1 million people in Europe with such polite people - leaving junkies/knackers aside (this comes from a foreigner)

Overall, nice city with its own distinct characteristics. Nice parks, canals, and very nice coastline. People very caring and polite but very hard to make friends with...kind of 'clanish' (sticking to their own group) from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I don't really like Dublin but then again i don't really like any county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

I do, because I didn't start out that way, and it's not the case now. For the longest time I thought it was me. I now realise that it wasn't.

I find people in London warm and friendly and interested in ordinary discussions. I just don't find that in Dublin the last few years.

There is a huge lack of confidence and general infoeriorty complex among Dubliners I find. People get London-type cocky when pissed as a hoot having done gap years in Australia, but are absolutely unable to have casual conversations about political issues, etc., unless it involves drinking. Dublin's identity is more of a Liverpool with extra gusto and none of the humility or hard work.

I know mods don't like old threads dug up but I don't see the point of clogging the board with a new one and want to throw in my two cents.

I live for the most part now in London and am born and raised Clontarf. All I can say is if I had children no way would I raise them in Dublin, despite the many beautiful things and areas the city has, because I wouldn't want them to develop the deep levels of inferiority and low self esteem I came to have until I left Dublin in my 30s.

Dublin is a markedly stratified city and the scuzzies mentioned so often are the least of its problems. It's viciously competitive, cut throat where appearance, sound, demeanor and money counts for everything. Dublin people make decisions very quickly early on about who they will our won't associate with and integrating into social circles is a impossibility. A quick example was my post grad course. I sat beside a girl (we had fixed seating) whose brother I knew and they lived at the top of my road. They were from an extremely wealthy background and in two years that girl did not utter one word to me at all and remained silent when I attempted to chat with her. This is not unusual behaviour from many young Dublin people.

The new Dublin accent is also an abomination to the ear - the one that sounds like a hybrid of Hyacinth Bucket and the Daleks. Truly awful noise pollution.

Before I left for London I lived for a while in Galway and Wexford and loved both so it's not dislike of Ireland in general.

I'm not sorry I'm gone at all, I'm just amazed how I put up with the intense isolation and loneliness that only Dublin can give you, for so long.
    Or you possibly give yourself , how do you know if you had stayed that you may well have grown wiser and older and been happy .Maybe you just grew out of your sensitivity .
    Please dont degrade a whole city like that , its very rude .You had a hard time here, fine , I didnt so dont speak for us all .I have to say I take umbrage at being lumped in with everyone and you presume to know me .I am a Dub, born and reared and am friendly , non judgmental and fair .

Your post is a perfect example of how debate on Dublin is so difficult. Any discussion on here about anything will have to be general to a certain degree. I'm finding it amusing but sadly not surprising that some posters on here are taking both my comments and those of others about Dublin as individually tailored insults.

patneve2 wrote: »
    Wicklow is not Dublin though ;)
    For those who say that Dubliners are rude, think again. You won't find a capital city of 1 million people in Europe with such polite people - leaving junkies/knackers aside (this comes from a foreigner)
    Amsterdam, far far more friendly than Dublin

Wicklow is not Dublin though ;)

Wicklow not part of Dublin, true, but I was talking about the general setting...

Is that a sarcastic comment about Amsterdam? Maybe I was just unlucky but I found Amsterdammers to be quite rude and stuck up. I don't blame them either, their city gets invaded on a daily basis by stag parties, hen parties and people smoking bongs on the street.

Your post is a perfect example of how debate on Dublin is so difficult. Any discussion on here about anything will have to be general to a certain degree. I'm finding it amusing but sadly not surprising that some posters on here are taking both my comments and those of others about Dublin as individually tailored insults.
    How else do you think people will take their city being insulted and told it is unfriendly etc .Do you think we will sit back and swallow all that because you had a hard time ? Find it amusing if you choose to I am simply sticking up for my town of which I am proud .Smile all you like but it raises my hackles when people put it down .,There is good and bad everywhere on earth , good people and bad people in every city on earth .

To be honest I am off out now for a long walk in Dun Laoire , I will enjoy it and the people who greet us and the smiles we get .I find a smile will mostly retuen one so thats were I am going and I hope you have a fine day where you have chosen to live /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Are you taking the piss?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss?

nope. been there twice, everyone really nice and friendly both times.
    Probably helped that I wasn't some yobbo stoned off his face on a stag weekend though...

Overall the most annoying thing is the banter/small talk/lack of interesting conversations (there are exceptions though). But people are extremely polite here and nearly always offer a helping hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don’t hate you, Dublin. I don’t even dislike you. I do like you. I like you a hell of a lot more than I like most counties in Ireland.

I hate this idea that you’re the best. Because you’re not. Cork is the best.

/CM Punk-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Hello,

I have been living in dublin for 3 years now. It could be alot worse than other cities, Im here for college it has a few good colleges and that but living here gets on my last nerve sometimes i lose patience at times. Im thinking is there anyone else who hates living in dublin and reasons why? im sure there are. I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts, feelings and opinions. Thank you

I think your just having a bad day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Dublin is like some smelly uncle who wears manky clothes and everyone in the family has a whinge about, but he's actually a very funny bugger, has a great heart and would go out of his way to help you when the chips are down. People always miss him after they've moved on.

How else do you think people will take their city being insulted and told it is unfriendly etc .Do you think we will sit back and swallow all that because you had a hard time ? Find it amusing if you choose to I am simply sticking up for my town of which I am proud .Smile all you like but it raises my hackles when people put it down .,There is good and bad everywhere on earth , good people and bad people in every city on earth .

To be honest I am off out now for a long walk in Dun Laoire , I will enjoy it and the people who greet us and the smiles we get .I find a smile will mostly retuen one so thats were I am going and I hope you have a fine day where you have chosen to live /

All of my posts have been calm and reasoned. I am entitled to my opinion. I am not a mental "lame duck" as another poster sought to infer.

It appears the loud, proud, confident Dublin ego is a markedly fragile one.

Enjoy your day as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don’t hate you, Dublin. I don’t even dislike you. I do like you. I like you a hell of a lot more than I like most counties in Ireland.

I hate this idea that you’re the best. Because you’re not. Cork is the best.

/CM Punk-ish.

Personally, I'm from Dublin and would probably say that Waterford or Galway are the best counties, for living anyway.

Cork people and grudges, sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭markpb

Apart from that, the city centre is a bit too small in my opinion, and it lacks any architecture of note. On every street there are about 5 newsagents (be it spar, centra or whatever), this really pisses me off.

Dublin has some absolutely beautiful buildings! True, the ground floor of the city centre has been destroyed by Spars but look above the ground floor and you'll see it. The GPO, Clearys, the O'Connell bride building (above what used to be Reds), Trinity and almost all the buildings at College Green, the Georgian squares, NIB on Dame St, the Bank on Dame St, the list is endless.

A lot of the new buildings along the north and south quays and around Grand Canal dock are quite pretty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm proud to be Dubliner.

And I think so highly of the place that when people say they don't like it, I really dont believe them.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Born , raised , grew up there and have lived outside it for many years now but always look foreward to my trips home . I might get pissed off about some aspects of the city and Dubliners will be the first to point out all it's faults ( as we have seen in similar threads ) but could never hate it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Look! Everybody from outside the pale should STFU and go back to riding their cousins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Im not from Dublin but I enjoyed living there because its one of the few cities. Most of Ireland is like one big village!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I am not frustrated with life..but you do get frustrated with dublin city for example if you don't drive, there are three modes of public transport luas, dart and bus yet to get four miles away you have to get two buses and then walk 10 minutes to get to your destination. That is frustrating for anyone but imagine what it's like people who have physical disablities and mother's with children. It's an example of how frustrating things can be here.

Well that's fair enough. That's identifying a single element that pisses you off. The next step is: what do you want to do about it?

I fully accept that public transport sucks, that it is hopelessly badly organised and that it should be made more like a continental system whereby each ticket is automatically transferrable from one line to another and one mode of transport to another. eg you want to get from A to B via Dart, Luas and Bus, the same ticket works on each.

No faffing around for the exact fare for each leg, no being penalised because there is no direct connection between start and finish. etc

I saw a report in the paper where somebody from CIE said "Demand for public transport is falling in Dublin" Well Duh? Whose fault is that? How many expensively trained (at the public purse) marketing types are there in CIE? How do they goabout stimulating demand?

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with some simple ideas. Putting them into effect, of course, is the problem.

• Advertisement

-Miles of beaches and pretty coastline (Killiney, Dalkey, Howth, Malahide etc)
    -Nice canals

Overall, nice city with its own distinct characteristics. Nice parks, canals, and very nice coastline. People very caring and polite but very hard to make friends with...kind of 'clanish' (sticking to their own group) from that point of view.

It was after two and a half years of living in Dublin when I did a bit of voluntary work with older people did I first meet decent people who you could have a conversation who restored my faith in humanity here. I find many of the older people more approachable and normal. It's many of the younger people that I find are harder to talk to. Im from the North and people are really different in comparsion to dubliners they are much more open mined and easy going. These are from my experiences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement