Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who hates Dublin?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

You don't get out much, do you if you find that the most ridiculous thing you have ever read. Open a magazine like 'new' or a tabloid newspaper and you will see a variety of strange and ridiculous things. It's only an opinion. There are many many ridiculous things that people actually do that you can read about!

I clearly said that is was probably of the most ridiculous things that I have read on boards.

Btw there is no way you are Irish, your posts read like they were written by a foreigner.........or a troll ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I hate the lack of scenery in Dublin. Apart from the Dublin mountains and some of the coastal areas, there's very little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I know mods don't like old threads dug up but I don't see the point of clogging the board with a new one and want to throw in my two cents.

I live for the most part now in London and am born and raised Clontarf. All I can say is if I had children no way would I raise them in Dublin, despite the many beautiful things and areas the city has, because I wouldn't want them to develop the deep levels of inferiority and low self esteem I came to have until I left Dublin in my 30s.

Dublin is a markedly stratified city and the scuzzies mentioned so often are the least of its problems. It's viciously competitive, cut throat where appearance, sound, demeanor and money counts for everything. Dublin people make decisions very quickly early on about who they will our won't associate with and integrating into social circles is a impossibility. A quick example was my post grad course. I sat beside a girl (we had fixed seating) whose brother I knew and they lived at the top of my road. They were from an extremely wealthy background and in two years that girl did not utter one word to me at all and remained silent when I attempted to chat with her. This is not unusual behaviour from many young Dublin people.

The new Dublin accent is also an abomination to the ear - the one that sounds like a hybrid of Hyacinth Bucket and the Daleks. Truly awful noise pollution.

Before I left for London I lived for a while in Galway and Wexford and loved both so it's not dislike of Ireland in general.

I'm not sorry I'm gone at all, I'm just amazed how I put up with the intense isolation and loneliness that only Dublin can give you, for so long.

This is happening all over the country, Some people think being ignorant makes them better than you.. Most of these people actually find it frustrating trying to integrate with people outside Ireland whereas I bet you have no problem making friends in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I hate the lack of scenery in Dublin. Apart from the Dublin mountains and some of the coastal areas, there's very little
    The autumn leaves in Marley park are lovely to admire . The Cliffs of Loughshinny are wonderful . The Furry Glen in the Phoenix park , The Vico Road and Killinney Beach is so lovely . The bog roads in the mountains or Glendalough .The cliff walk of Howth . I could go on .Beauty can be found if you look for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The autumn leaves in Marley park are lovely to admire . The Cliffs of Loughshinny are wonderful . The Furry Glen in the Phoenix park , The Vico Road and Killinney Beach is so lovely . The bog roads in the mountains or Glendalough .The cliff walk of Howth . I could go on .Beauty can be found if you look for it .

Glendalough is in Wicklow. I take your point about the rest. I was on holidays in West Cork and Kerry recently and I was depressed going back to Dublin. There's no comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Glendalough is in Wicklow. I take your point about the rest. I was on holidays in West Cork and Kerry recently and I was depressed going back to Dublin. There's no comparison
    Oh yes , so it !!! I love west Cork and enjoy it and take it all in , but if you look around there are so many parks and piers and beaches to enjoy and you simply have to find them .Treat yourself to an evening stroll around the James Joyce tower area in Dun laoire. In fact as citys go Dublin is very lucky to have lovely outdoor space and walks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Its ok. As a tourist, it was interesting to see some of the buildings and sights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Reasons why Dublin is hateful

1. The public transport is terrible, you would think it would be good for the prices they charge
    2. It's seen as a luxury to park your car for a few hours the cost of parking
    3. The attitudes of many of the staff in shops, they are rude. it's basic common sense to say hello and thank you.
    4. A lot of people without basic manners, walking in to you, a herd of cattle would have more courtesy
    5. The north sider/south sider divide. Many people in south are arrogant, judgemental and ignorant and many people in North are hard, tough nuts not that different to south siders though they too don't know how to use their heads.
    6. The complete lack of men here, the only decent men are men of the older generations who would give their seat up to an older lady on the bus or a pregnant women. Many dublin and a good few Irish men wouldn't have what it takes to go to military service if this country had one and was compulsory for men. You would see how many spoilt little boys we have here instead of men.
    7. The clannish attitudes and they would rather employ a person because they know them or because they are from Dublin/Ireland than a person who is very skilled at the work and yet they complain that there are a stortage of skilled workers here.

I know I will get alot of dubliners replying to this, who will take it as a personal insult, lighten up it's only my experiences

Ahhh, so everyone else is the problem..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Time to put this one to bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement