Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who hates Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

CiaranC wrote: »
    You are a spoofer tbh. I dont understand why people come on here and blatantly lie just to "win" some internet argument.

Id be willing to bet that anyone from this thread could walk from Parnell Square to Stephens Green and back, right now and recieve zero hassle from anyone. I would be willing to make a very large wager at very generous odds to that effect. Any takers?

I don't understand why people assume others are lying with zero evidence. As I said, I have no reason to lie. Why on earth would I lie on some message board? I actually moved away from Dublin because I was so sick of not feeling safe. But sure, continue on with your head in the sand. I couldn't care less. I know myself that I couldn't even get the 16 from Dublin airport on my last trip home without a drunk/junkie sitting behind me and bothering me. I know myself that a trip from Parnell Square to Stephens Green (a trip I used to do daily because I lived in Drumcondra) would result in at LEAST one 'have ya any spare change love? F*ck ya, then,' sometimes with a nice bit of xenophobic abuse thrown in. I know from working in tourism that many people just leave Dublin out of their itineraries because of stuff like this. But sure, tell yourself I'm making it up if it makes you feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I actually moved away from Dublin because I was so sick of not feeling safe.
    So you moved to London :D

I was in London (down Harrow Rd) a few weeks ago, it was like a zombie flick with all the crackheads roving the street after dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The answer is obviously to stop looking so beatable.

So you moved to London :D

I was in London (down Harrow Rd) a few weeks ago, it was like a zombie flick with all the crackheads roving the street after dark.

Yep, I live in London and nobody bothers me here. I keep to myself and I'm ignored. If only Dublin were the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't understand why people assume others are lying with zero evidence. As I said, I have no reason to lie. Why on earth would I lie on some message board? I actually moved away from Dublin because I was so sick of not feeling safe. But sure, continue on with your head in the sand. I couldn't care less. I know myself that I couldn't even get the 16 from Dublin airport on my last trip home without a drunk/junkie sitting behind me and bothering me. I know myself that a trip from Parnell Square to Stephens Green (a trip I used to do daily because I lived in Drumcondra) would result in at LEAST one 'have ya any spare change love? F*ck ya, then,' sometimes with a nice bit of xenophobic abuse thrown in. I know from working in tourism that many people just leave Dublin out of their itineraries because of stuff like this. But sure, tell yourself I'm making it up if it makes you feel better.

Oh God no! I am thew world's worst businessman!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Yep, I live in London and nobody bothers me here. I keep to myself and I'm ignored. If only Dublin were the same.
    I see from another thread you have a UVF tattoo on your face, that must be it

I see from another thread you have a UVF tattoo on your face, that must be it

:confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I have to say that when I moved to Dublin for college when I was 18, I wasn't all that impressed to be honest. And that impression wasn't exactly helped by any travel I done over the next few years. The sights of Dublin don't exactly compare well when compared to those of Rome, Paris, London etc. However, I actually found that after living in various cities around the world, my opinion of Dublin began to change. Lots of cities around the world are amazing to visit for a long weekend, see all the highlights etc, but really aren't that great to live in. I've lived in Melbourne, Boston and Bordeaux for various periods of time, and can honestly say that I prefer living in Dublin. There's a character about the place that I don't find in other cities and, for a city of its size, the wealth of cultural institutions is amazing. I also find the whole Dubliners/arrogant meme is overdone. Being called a culchie or whatever is all part of the banter. If you can't handle that kind of slagging then you'd probably be better off never leaving your county at all!!

I don't understand why people assume others are lying with zero evidence.

I think people get a bit annoyed when posters extrapolate the general from the specific, eg my stocky boyfriend got harassed once in Dublin, ergo it's a constant problem, ergo Dublin a crime ridden, junkie infested shithole...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Right here, I hate this "city".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Manic Preacher

If you don't like the place then just leave. I worked on Dublin years ago and I didn't like it. I didn't go on boards to complain about the place, I just left and moved somewhere else.

R0ot wrote: »
    Right here, I hate this "city".

Why the inverted commas?

Einhard wrote: »
    I have to say that when I moved to Dublin for college when I was 18, I wasn't all that impressed to be honest. And that impression wasn't exactly helped by any travel I done over the next few years. The sights of Dublin don't exactly compare well when compared to those of Rome, Paris, London etc. However, I actually found that after living in various cities around the world, my opinion of Dublin began to change. Lots of cities around the world are amazing to visit for a long weekend, see all the highlights etc, but really aren't that great to live in. I've lived in Melbourne, Boston and Bordeaux for various periods of time, and can honestly say that I prefer living in Dublin. There's a character about the place that I don't find in other cities and, for a city of its size, the wealth of cultural institutions is amazing. I also find the whole Dubliners/arrogant meme is overdone. Being called a culchie or whatever is all part of the banter. If you can't handle that kind of slagging then you'd probably be better off never leaving your county at all!!
    Great post. Ive lived in some great and not so great cities myself - Toronto, Victoria BC, London, Manchester, Melbourne. All have their ups and downs. Dublin has more charm and character than most.

Its big enough to have the stuff a city needs, but small enough to walk across. Its friendly enough to be able to go into a pub, sit at the bar and have a chat with a stranger, but anonymous enough that people dont all know your business. Its far safer than any of four of the cities above. It is developing a bit of a foodie culture, but is still a fair bit behind the likes of Melbourne and its markets. Its public transport infrastructure is poor. Pubs and clubs close too early. Having traveled the world, people from elsewhere LOVE Dublin, everyones either been more than once or its in their top 5 cities to visit next.
    Definition of a great city: a place that makes virtue out of vice and knows exactly where to find fun. Welcome to Dublin, contender for greatest city in Europe.

Thats what the Lonely Planet says, and they are seldom far off. So who cares what a bunch of bitter country folk think. If you dont like it, dont live here, its simple.

I think people get a bit annoyed when posters extrapolate the general from the specific, eg my stocky boyfriend got harassed once in Dublin, ergo it's a constant problem, ergo Dublin a crime ridden, junkie infested shithole...

I also get annoyed by people who can't read a paragraph of text and understand something completely different than what was written.

I also get annoyed by people who can't read a paragraph of text and understand something completely different than what was written.

You're easily annoyed so. Perhaps that's the source of your problem, and not Dublin per se?

You're easily annoyed so. Perhaps that's the source of your problem, and not Dublin per se?

So are you and everyone else, then, using your logic. WTF, like. I really don't know why some people can't accept that others might have a different experience than they do. Instead, they'd rather believe than someone would invent stories and post them on the internet. Why would anyone bother to claim something like that if it wasn't true? The fact that some people see it as a 'win/lose' argument says it all, really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It's a really nice city in parts. I had a Kiwi girl over staying with me last weekend and I showed her around and she loved it. But I made sure I didn't bring her anywhere near junkieville (i.e. the whole of the north inner city), because that area just makes me feel ashamed of the city these days with all the pyjamas and heroin addicts.
    It's the only thing even approaching being a real city in Ireland, it obviously has more going on than anywhere else in the country, so I don't know why culchies hate on it and us so much.

Arrogant much?
    Thats what the Lonely Planet says, and they are seldom far off. So who cares what a bunch of bitter country folk think. If you dont like it, dont live here, its simple.

Nobody said, "I am from the country, therefore I hate Dublin", people just stated the things they dont like about it, as the OP asked. People from outside Ireland, inside Ireland, from the country and from Dublin. I've noticed loads of unsavoury slurs aimed towards the native Irish (ie outside the pale), such as culchie, slurry-heads, muck-savages etc, but hardly any going the other way. And dubs genuinely wonder why they are disliked?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

And dubs genuinely wonder why they are disliked?

Me_Right_one, you joined the thread, stated that a lot of Dublin people have a superiority complex and an arrogant air about them, you called the British an uneducated, scummy society and branded some people from Cork, Clare, Galway and Mayo as having chips on their shoulder. You say the British have a jumped-up notion of themselves, like some Dubs.

Practice what you preach.

So are you and everyone else, then, using your logic. WTF, like. I really don't know why some people can't accept that others might have a different experience than they do. Instead, they'd rather believe than someone would invent stories and post them on the internet. Why would anyone bother to claim something like that if it wasn't true? The fact that some people see it as a 'win/lose' argument says it all, really.

I don't think you're making it up at all. I was pointing out that personal experience does not correlate with a general reality. I wasn't responding to you so much as the general argument that a city can be labelled as unsafe on the basis of personal experience alone.

I don't think you're making it up at all. I was pointing out that personal experience does not correlate with a general reality. I wasn't responding to you so much as the general argument that a city can be labelled as unsafe on the basis of personal experience alone.

And likewise, it can't be labelled safe on the basis of personal experience alone. I know as many people who find Dublin a dodgy kip as people who think it's fine. Obviously it's a matter of opinion. You're not going to find concrete statistics on the percentage of people who get hassled on the Luas. The title of the thread asks if anyone hates Dublin. I said that I don't like it because it's full of scum and I find that they overshadow the good stuff. I fully believe that some people don't think it's that scummy, because they for whatever reason don't tend to get hassled. I'm not calling anyone a liar for claiming that they never get harrassed, as difficult as it is for me to imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Fibbers et al aren't metal bars full stop. Fetish bars exist all over europe, but I was just taking that as an example. I could have said beach bars, I could have said undergrond bars. By art bars, I mean places that start with art and then become a bar - you just named a load of bars that happen to have art on the walls. BIG difference. Take Tacheles in Berlin for example. Dublin does not have soemthign for everyone. It has somethin for everyone mainstream, yes, but that's not everyone. If it did, I'd probably still be there. And I spent 30 years looking. People certainly do NOT come to Dublin "having alread diecded its too expensive and boring" - that's just plain dumb.

The only thing is plain dumb is even putting Dublin in the same league as Berlin. You can't compare the two. One is capital of Germany (Pop 90 million or thereabouts), one is capital of a small atlantic island. Give it over!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    The only thing is plain dumb is even putting Dublin in the same league as Berlin. You can't compare the two. One is capital of Germany (Pop 90 million or thereabouts), one is capital of a small atlantic island. Give it over!

That's true. The thing is though, is that the 'Dublin's great' brigade have no problem comparing Dublin to cities like New York when they're making a point about crime levels. It seems like it's a quaint little town when explaining why there's not much there, and a huge metropolis when explaining all the junkie action. It can't be both. This is my main problem with it. The levels of crime and junkies are not in proportion with what the city has to offer, IMO. Copenhagen is of a similar size and doesn't have all the issues Dublin has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

That's true. The thing is though, is that the 'Dublin's great' brigade have no problem comparing Dublin to cities like New York when they're making a point about crime levels. It seems like it's a quaint little town when explaining why there's not much there, and a huge metropolis when explaining all the junkie action. It can't be both. This is my main problem with it. The levels of crime and junkies are not in proportion with what the city has to offer, IMO. Copenhagen is of a similar size and doesn't have all the issues Dublin has.

It's a grand place, my friend lives in London, visited last weekend for first time and loved it. But as I said i wasn't taking her for walks down Marlborough St or anything. I was over in Acton for a week recently and 2 people were stabbed that week nearby. So we both have problems!
    In saying that I've never been to a city with so many junkies in the centre/tourist areas. This is a problem, it's not our fault though, they're a product of social welfare and government policies in my opinion.

Have you lived in Copenhagen though?

Have you lived in Copenhagen though?

For a short time, yes. And Brussels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Me_Right_one, you joined the thread, stated that a lot of Dublin people have a superiority complex and an arrogant air about them, you called the British an uneducated, scummy society and branded some people from Cork, Clare, Galway and Mayo as having chips on their shoulder. You say the British have a jumped-up notion of themselves, like some Dubs. Practice what you preach.

@John Rambo, my post from which you quoted was directed at BraziliaNZ and CiaranC, as was obvious from my quoting them. It seems however, that it has also hit a nerve with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

@John Rambo, my post from which you quoted was directed at BraziliaNZ and CiaranC

It was directed at English people, Dublin people, Cork People, Clare people and Mayo people.
    It seems however, that it has also hit a nerve with you!

Well, yeah it does. I don't agree with you, it's a nasty thing to say things like that about people because of where they are from. Plus you are wrong, it's simply not the case. You accuse people of being arrogant for doing the very same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

Didn't read any replies, so here's my two cents worth. Dublin is a grand spot. It's got a good nightlife and social scene. It's a happening spot, and this is what makes me like it. It's a nice nucleus in that it's not too far from any other town/city for a weekend trip away.

All in all, Dublin gets an 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

I don't like Dublin because it's like a big town, not a city. It's got too many jackeens for my liking as well. If you could take all them out and leave the culchies and foreigners in, I think it would be a decent enough place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

mfceiling wrote: »
    Moved here 9 years ago and hated it.

Now - meh - it's alright....plenty to do and see, could be worse, could be in bagdhad, iran, drogheda.....
    Give us a chance, I was born and raised in Dublin, both of my parents are from the country, yes there r some not nice, rude, ignorant people but I have found them everywhere, including in the country. I worked all over Ireland and always found the the different mix, most Dubs are great give them a chance and any you find that are rude or full of it tell them what to do or ignore them:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement