Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who hates Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Dublin suburbs and Co. are grand, you can find nice places to live with decent amenities close by with efficient enough public transport links.

The City Centre is a disgrace, you cant even say that the main thoroughfares of O'Connell and Grafton street are kept in order at least. Almost any street you turn down greets you with a whack of piss up your nostrils and/or a filthy junkie invading your personal space "heeeeur, have ya goh de time bud".

The guards should'nt be giving them an inch, they should be harassed non-stop and an order needs to be decreed that should they set foot on the boardwalk again they'll be shot on site.

Litter
    Junkies
    Smell of piss everywhere
    Roads too small to cope with traffic
    Severe lack of Garda presence(or where there is a presence, failure to do jack sh1t about anything)

This helps bolster my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Turpentine wrote: »
    I think we're on the same page. i.e.Dublin = not so bad. Call off the Perry Mason attack dogs. I rest some sort of case.

Yeah its the last call for folks who know Dublin isn't that bad. Dogs resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

well its nice enought but boring, im spicy and im vegitarian i dont drink either. .

OP, you said you didn't like Chinese and lamented that Dublin had no Korean or Japanese eateries. I pointed out two of the many Japanese and Korean restaurants, maybe wait till you try them before knocking them.
    I love good art exhibtions but they are harder to find.

How hard are you looking? For fook sake, there are different ones on every week.

Litter

There isn't that much litter really. If you actually look around Dublin is a lot cleaner than most small towns in Ireland. I recently worked on two photo shoots around the city and had to take some stock, there is very little litter lying around.

Roads too small to cope with traffic

It's a medieval city, what do you suggest? Move all the buildings back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

depends on what area your talking about tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

John_Rambo wrote: »
    OP, you said you didn't like Chinese and lamented that Dublin had no Korean or Japanese eateries. I pointed out two of the many Japanese and Korean restaurants, maybe wait till you try them before knocking them.

How hard are you looking? For fook sake, there are different ones on every week.

Got a point here. Dublin is a very conservative* place and I find it lacks variety. There is a lot of the same around. Are there any metal bars in Dublin? Fetish bars? Art bars? Themed bars?

As for the art exhibitions, I can't really say because it's been a while, but most of the exhibitions around were just gallerys plugging their own stuff. There wasn't much by way of emerging ground-breaking art (open to correction here, as it may have changed while I was away).

*When I say "conservative", I don't mean "bad".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I think the scumbags/junkies ruin Dublin. On the whole, I think it's a really nice city with loads of character, perfect size, on the coast, has so much going for it, but I just got so sick of not being able to take one bus journey/Luas trip/walk through town without being hassled. I don't care what anyone else, that hasn't happened to me anywhere else on a daily basis (although it always amuses me when people say things like 'it's better than Manila/Baghdad/Kabul with a straight face or try to compare it to cities 10 times the size). I hope it gets sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/

Shut the door after you.

Bunch of winging, Riordans-timewarp, silage-headed livestock abusers.

stovelid wrote: »
    http://www.irishrail.ie/home/

Shut the door after you.

Bunch of winging, Riordans-timewarp, silage-headed livestock abusers.

Why is that your ONLY answer EVERY time someone criticises Dublin? It's like Homer Simpson: something was said.... not good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I think the scumbags/junkies ruin Dublin. On the whole, I think it's a really nice city with loads of character, perfect size, on the coast, has so much going for it, but I just got so sick of not being able to take one bus journey/Luas trip/walk through town without being hassled. I don't care what anyone else, that hasn't happened to me anywhere else on a daily basis (although it always amuses me when people say things like 'it's better than Manila/Baghdad/Kabul with a straight face or try to compare it to cities 10 times the size). I hope it gets sorted out.
    How do all you people get hassled every time you walk through the city? I think you are lying tbh

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Are there any metal bars in Dublin? Fetish bars? Art bars? Themed bars?

Metal isn't hugely popular here as it would be in Berlin or the likes. But there certainly are metal bars and live venues, there are fetish nights and art nights in bars, there are plenty of themed nights organised by groups all over the city. I stumbled in to a rockabilly nigh in Smithfield recently. Not my scene. The population isn't big enough to support a dedicated fetish bar, so fetish nights in certain bars happen.
    CiaranC wrote: »
    How do all you people get hassled every time you walk through the city? I think you are lying tbh

+ one... Haven't been hassled by anyone in years. The odd request for spare change from a seated begger, the odd charity person. Chuggers seem to ignore me, I just smile and nod at Roma and they smile back, but won't ask for money when you smile or wink at them for some reason. I think people are slightly exaggerating the "hassle" they get to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Are there any metal bars in Dublin?

Fibbers, Bruxxies off the top of my head and then there Whelans, Anseo that play it but aren't exclusively metal bars and there individual nights on too. Used to be loads in Voodoo but havent been that way for a long time
    Fetish bars?
    You'll be hard pressed to find a fetish bar anywhere in the world. There are a few fetish clubs knocking around quietly though
    Art bars?

Used to be a place called Condottis on the quays that was a bar/italian restaurant/art gallery. Its been replaced by a japanese restaurant now though. There's Grogans of course, ancient looking, full of art, full of artists, full of people willing to trade paintings for pints. And the Turks Head is worth a look if you want somewhere unusual. Davy Byrnes was a favourite of James Joyce and got a shout out in one of his books.
    Themed bars?

Themed like what? Temple Bar has plenty of Oirish-style bicycle in the corner type of places (Gogartys/Peadar Kearneys) Cafe En Seine is like turn of the century Paris, The Woolshed is an Ozzie themed bar, you have the Hard Rock Cafe, the Church Bar (in a church!), The Castle Inn (in a castle!), The Bank (in a..you get the idea) The Long Hall (a dublin themed dublin pub. dont ask)

Dublin has something for everyone, if they can be bothered to look. Unfortunately most people come to Dublin having already decided its too expensive and boring so they'll never look for anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

CiaranC wrote: »

I couldn't care less what some stranger on the Internet thinks. Here's a thought - perhaps your experience doesn't apply to everyone? My ex has never been hassled. He's a stocky, 6'3 Irishman. Perhaps that, just maybe, has something to do with it? I live in London and have been back to Dublin on about 10 separate days this year. There wasn't one single day where I wasn't hassled for change (not asked, hassled, and told to go to hell/go f**k myself when I refused), abused on the bus/Luas or offered drugs while waiting for the bus. Now, I'm not saying these were all scary or serious incidents. I'm saying I don't particularly enjoy living somewhere where I can't just live my life without people approaching me constantly. I live in a dodgy part of London and it's not even as bad as Dublin city centre.

skregs wrote: »
    Fibbers, Bruxxies off the top of my head and then there Whelans, Anseo that play it but aren't exclusively metal bars and there individual nights on too. Used to be loads in Voodoo but havent been that way for a long time

You'll be hard pressed to find a fetish bar anywhere in the world. There are a few fetish clubs knocking around quietly though

Used to be a place called Condottis on the quays that was a bar/italian restaurant/art gallery. Its been replaced by a japanese restaurant now though. There's Grogans of course, ancient looking, full of art, full of artists, full of people willing to trade paintings for pints. And the Turks Head is worth a look if you want somewhere unusual. Davy Byrnes was a favourite of James Joyce and got a shout out in one of his books.

Themed like what? Temple Bar has plenty of Oirish-style bicycle in the corner type of places (Gogartys/Peadar Kearneys) Cafe En Seine is like turn of the century Paris, The Woolshed is an Ozzie themed bar, you have the Hard Rock Cafe, the Church Bar (in a church!), The Castle Inn (in a castle!), The Bank (in a..you get the idea) The Long Hall (a dublin themed dublin pub. dont ask)

Dublin has something for everyone, if they can be bothered to look. Unfortunately most people come to Dublin having already decided its too expensive and boring so they'll never look for anything else

Fibbers et al aren't metal bars full stop. Fetish bars exist all over europe, but I was just taking that as an example. I could have said beach bars, I could have said undergrond bars. By art bars, I mean places that start with art and then become a bar - you just named a load of bars that happen to have art on the walls. BIG difference. Take Tacheles in Berlin for example. Dublin does not have soemthign for everyone. It has somethin for everyone mainstream, yes, but that's not everyone. If it did, I'd probably still be there. And I spent 30 years looking. People certainly do NOT come to Dublin "having alread diecded its too expensive and boring" - that's just plain dumb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    PM sent. ;)

liar :(

places that start with art and then become a bar
    I have no idea what you're banging on about here tbh. There are art spaces and art collectives around Dublin but they seem to be either alcohol free or wine only type of things.

So if fibbers isnt a metal bar what the hell is it then?
    Fetish bars certainly aren't "all over Europe" considering I've never even seen or heard of one.
    There's a good reason there's no beach bars in Dublin, you ever been on a Dublin beach? (Bondi aside) Underground bars? Like bars physically underground? There's loads.

Anyway, chillax with the hostility bro, you'll live longer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

a shíthole full of arseholes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Not metal bars.
    Cafe En Seine is like turn of the century Paris
    A little pretentious.
    The Woolshed is an Ozzie themed bar
    Closed.
    you have the Hard Rock Cafe
    For tourists.
    the Church Bar (in a church!)
    Yeah true enough.
    The Castle Inn (in a castle!)
    That's near a castle, not in one.
    The Bank (in a..you get the idea)
    Opposite a bank, not in one.
    The Long Hall (a dublin themed dublin pub. dont ask)
    Dump.

Dublin has what for everyone? A themed bar? There is more to life than drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Zanmato

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Dublin has what for everyone? A themed bar? There is more to life than drinking.

HEAR, HEAR!

I have no idea what you're banging on about here tbh. There are art spaces and art collectives around Dublin but they seem to be either alcohol free or wine only type of things.

Fetish bars certainly aren't "all over Europe" considering I've never even seen or heard of one.
    There's a good reason there's no beach bars in Dublin, you ever been on a Dublin beach? (Bondi aside) Underground bars? Like bars physically underground? There's loads.

Anyway, chillax with the hostility bro, you'll live longer

Half a dozen (at least) in Berlin, lots in Amsterdam, Stockholm, one or two in Copenhagen and I'm told Paris and Prague as well. We have beach bars in Berlin. One on top of a shopping center. Where's the creativity :D!?

By metal, I mean heavy metal, gothic kinda thing. And underground bars does not mean in a cavern.

And I am chilled. As I said earlier that I didn't see this as a bad thing, just not what I want out of life. You're the one who seems to have taken offence. If it's what you're happy with, then by all means stay and enjoy.

• Advertisement

Why is that your ONLY answer EVERY time someone criticises Dublin? It's like Homer Simpson: something was said.... not good....

It's not my only answer.

I try and come with other variants like slurry-heads. :confused:

It's not my only answer.

I accept, sir. Sometimes you also mention the airport :)

I accept, sir. Sometimes you also mention the airport :)

To be fair, I thought the title of the thread was originally about 'scumbagville', or did I hallucinate that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's not my only answer.

Muck-savages. They like to be called muck-savages. Right "Biys"? :D

Jaysis, but if my old man had a boards account, I'd get my ass kicked. ;)

Berlin is a different city Ickypoo. I know it's a great city and all but the variation of cities is what is good about them. If they all had the same things the world would be boring, city breaks would be crap. I love Berlin, I love Belfast and Cork, but I wouldn't want them to all be the exact same. There are metal bars in Dublin, they are just not like the metal bars in Berlin, there are plenty of fetish nights going on, just not in the same style as they are in Berlin... Just cause you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

To be fair, I thought the title of the thread was originally about 'scumbagville', or did I hallucinate that? :)

Not sure. I think there was just a general assumption made that the OP was not frum Dublin, and terefore a culchie.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    Berlin is a different city Ickypoo. I know it's a great city and all but the variation of cities is what is good about them. If they all had the same things the world would be boring, city breaks would be crap. I love Berlin, I love Belfast and Cork, but I wouldn't want them to all be the exact same. There are metal bars in Dublin, they are just not like the metal bars in Berlin, there are plenty of fetish nights going on, just not in the same style as they are in Berlin... Just cause you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

News to me. As I said, i just took fetish and metal as examples. I admit to not having looked for either in great capacity, but I know about them in Berlin without looking.

I have said always said that they are different cities. If you like Dublin, stay and enjoy.

The woolshed isn't closed, still very much open.
    And The Bank is in an actual bank. Toilets are in the old vaults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I couldn't care less what some stranger on the Internet thinks. Here's a thought - perhaps your experience doesn't apply to everyone? My ex has never been hassled. He's a stocky, 6'3 Irishman. Perhaps that, just maybe, has something to do with it? I live in London and have been back to Dublin on about 10 separate days this year. There wasn't one single day where I wasn't hassled for change (not asked, hassled, and told to go to hell/go f**k myself when I refused), abused on the bus/Luas or offered drugs while waiting for the bus. Now, I'm not saying these were all scary or serious incidents. I'm saying I don't particularly enjoy living somewhere where I can't just live my life without people approaching me constantly. I live in a dodgy part of London and it's not even as bad as Dublin city centre.
    You are a spoofer tbh. I dont understand why people come on here and blatantly lie just to "win" some internet argument.

Id be willing to bet that anyone from this thread could walk from Parnell Square to Stephens Green and back, right now and recieve zero hassle from anyone. I would be willing to make a very large wager at very generous odds to that effect. Any takers?

• Advertisement

News to me.

I know, but these threads are ALWAYS full of people complaining about Dublin not having things it actually has. Look at the OP's post, no Korean restaurants... I mean, I know of a few, but even google can find them. As for the Metal gothic style music, it's very popular in Germany and not so popular in Ireland, just like David Hasselhoff. I don't think there would be a market for a bar that catered for the few people who actually like that music, but... if you feel that there is, you should open one. See how that goes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement