Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who hates Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I used to wonder about people from Dublin talking about the Corpo.
    Something which ceased years ago

Having said that, it's much the same in Tipp since North Riding and South Riding got dropped
    People still use the same titles

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

I go to college in Dublin...
    What a sh1thole..
    I drive in every day to avoid having to move there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I know mods don't like old threads dug up but I don't see the point of clogging the board with a new one and want to throw in my two cents.

I live for the most part now in London and am born and raised Clontarf. All I can say is if I had children no way would I raise them in Dublin, despite the many beautiful things and areas the city has, because I wouldn't want them to develop the deep levels of inferiority and low self esteem I came to have until I left Dublin in my 30s.

Dublin is a markedly stratified city and the scuzzies mentioned so often are the least of its problems. It's viciously competitive, cut throat where appearance, sound, demeanor and money counts for everything. Dublin people make decisions very quickly early on about who they will our won't associate with and integrating into social circles is a impossibility. A quick example was my post grad course. I sat beside a girl (we had fixed seating) whose brother I knew and they lived at the top of my road. They were from an extremely wealthy background and in two years that girl did not utter one word to me at all and remained silent when I attempted to chat with her. This is not unusual behaviour from many young Dublin people.

The new Dublin accent is also an abomination to the ear - the one that sounds like a hybrid of Hyacinth Bucket and the Daleks. Truly awful noise pollution.

Before I left for London I lived for a while in Galway and Wexford and loved both so it's not dislike of Ireland in general.

I'm not sorry I'm gone at all, I'm just amazed how I put up with the intense isolation and loneliness that only Dublin can give you, for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

The new Dublin accent is also an abomination to the ear - the one that sounds like a hybrid of Hyacinth Bucket and the Daleks. Truly awful noise pollution.

Its hideous, i hope we are not exporting people with that accent. I never heard that 15 years ago.

And the worst thing about it is the people using it prob don't think theirs sounds bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Dublin people make decisions very quickly early on about who they will our won't associate with and integrating into social circles is a impossibility. A quick example was my post grad course. I sat beside a girl (we had fixed seating) whose brother I knew and they lived at the top of my road. They were from an extremely wealthy background and in two years that girl did not utter one word to me at all and remained silent when I attempted to chat with her. This is not unusual behaviour from many young Dublin people.

i'm sure that this is just young people in general though. I went to college in Galway and my class had people from all over the country. while nobody ignored each other, people did begin to drift into social groups based on where they were from.

I hear you, but I was from the same fricking ROAD as her!!

I'm just using that particular incident as an example - I could continue. There's nowhere on earth quite like Dublin to make normal, sensitive people feel like Quasimodo. Christ Almighty I worked in LA for a while and even that wasn't as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

i have to say Mrs Shuttleworth i've no idea what you're talking about...

i've lived in dublin for 10 years and travelled abroad extensively - i have to say its a fantastic city, i love heading out on the town with friends, i love the buzz around Grafters and the fact that scenery and the great outdoors in only 20 minutes out the road.

its a fantastic city and i'd have no problem with rearing a family here.

as for other people who've said its unsafe, i've been out on the beer quite a bit and often was completely off my face and never once even had the slightest bit of hassle....

Dublin is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I'm just using that particular incident as an example - I could continue. There's nowhere on earth quite like Dublin to make normal, sensitive people feel like Quasimodo. Christ Almighty I worked in LA for a while and even that wasn't as bad.
    Generalise much? Just speak for yourself. I lived there for six years and loved it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Hello,

I have been living in dublin for 3 years now. It could be alot worse than other cities, Im here for college it has a few good colleges and that but living here gets on my last nerve sometimes i lose patience at times. Im thinking is there anyone else who hates living in dublin and reasons why? im sure there are. I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts, feelings and opinions. Thank you

I posted that last year. I don't know how it was posted here again. Someone must of copied it and hacked in to my password and posted it up again. It's very strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Its a pretty horrible city, badly laid out and easily congested. Local accents are horrible and the people not especially friendly. Suburbs are even worse.

Not even sure what Dublins identity is, London, Paris, Prague and Milan are renowned for culture and fashion. Rome, Berlin for history. Munich, Madrid and Barcelona for great sporting cultures. Stockholm for being picturesque.

What is Dublin exactly, why is it relevant. Why would anyone have any desire whatsoever to visit it? At least Limerick has its sport and Galway culture. No clue about Dublin, probably why I avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Hello,

I have been living in dublin for 3 years now. It could be alot worse than other cities, Im here for college it has a few good colleges and that but living here gets on my last nerve sometimes i lose patience at times. Im thinking is there anyone else who hates living in dublin and reasons why? im sure there are. I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts, feelings and opinions. Thank you

Another whingy wanker who puts his/her frustrations with life into the written word and blames it all on our capital city.

A career as a columnist on a national newspaper beckons.

i have to say Mrs Shuttleworth i've no idea what you're talking about...

i've lived in dublin for 10 years and travelled abroad extensively - i have to say its a fantastic city, i love heading out on the town with friends, i love the buzz around Grafters and the fact that scenery and the great outdoors in only 20 minutes out the road.

its a fantastic city and i'd have no problem with rearing a family here.

as for other people who've said its unsafe, i've been out on the beer quite a bit and often was completely off my face and never once even had the slightest bit of hassle....

Dublin is class.

"Grafters"????!!!!

"Grafters"????!!!!

Grafton Street

Generalise much? Just speak for yourself. I lived there for six years and loved it.

I am starting to speak for myself, actually, if you don't mind. I was spoken over, across or ignored for long enough, and even if I'm wrong, that's going to change.

In a polite and dignified way.

"Grafters"????!!!!

Grafton Street

Errr... I know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I posted that last year. I don't know how it was posted here again. Someone must of copied it and hacked in to my password and posted it up again. It's very strange

http://i.imgur.com/YiMs3.jpg

why did u ask then? i'm a bit hungover at the moment

why did u ask then? i'm a bit hungover at the moment

I didn't "ask". :)

Another whingy wanker who puts his/her frustrations with life into the written word and blames it all on our capital city.

A career as a columnist on a national newspaper beckons.

I am not frustrated with life..but you do get frustrated with dublin city for example if you don't drive, there are three modes of public transport luas, dart and bus yet to get four miles away you have to get two buses and then walk 10 minutes to get to your destination. That is frustrating for anyone but imagine what it's like people who have physical disablities and mother's with children. It's an example of how frustrating things can be here.

• Advertisement

you did, you had question marks after it.....

most strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Downlinz wrote: »
    What is Dublin exactly, why is it relevant. Why would anyone have any desire whatsoever to visit it? At least Limerick has its sport and Galway culture. No clue about Dublin, probably why I avoid it.
    Go read a guide book. It is consistantly voted one of the worlds best cities to visit.
    Definition of a great city: a place that makes virtue out of vice and knows exactly where to find fun. Welcome to Dublin, contender for greatest city in Europe.
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ireland/dublin

It ranks higher in the livable stakes than Paris, London, Madrid or New York.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_quality_of_living

Lonely Planet should put in a warning about bitter, gormless clowns from ballygobackwards whove never been anywhere and **** themselves when they come up to the big shmoke. Whiny bastards.

you did, you had question marks after it.....

most strange.

Since you ask and my subtlety ain't workin, the question marks were expressing my amazement that anyone would use such a word.

My point is proven. Rah Rah Rah to you too!!! :)

Since you ask and my subtlety ain't workin, the question marks were expressing my amazement that anyone would use such a word.

My point is proven. Rah Rah Rah to you too!!! :)

So far on this thread about Dublin, you've mentioned being lonely, not speaking up for yourself and a whole host of other personal issues.

i genuinely don't think Dublin, as a city, is the cause of these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am not frustrated with life..but you do get frustrated with dublin city for example if you don't drive, there are three modes of public transport luas, dart and bus yet to get four miles away you have to get two buses and then walk 10 minutes to get to your destination. That is frustrating for anyone but imagine what it's like people who have physical disablities and mother's with children. It's an example of how frustrating things can be here.
    Get a bike , get excercise and stop whinging .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I am starting to speak for myself, actually, if you don't mind. I was spoken over, across or ignored for long enough, and even if I'm wrong, that's going to change.

I took issue with your use of the word "people". You felt that way. That doesn't mean that every single other person does. I didn't, for example. Hence your generalisation is erroneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I know mods don't like old threads dug up but I don't see the point of clogging the board with a new one and want to throw in my two cents.

I live for the most part now in London and am born and raised Clontarf. All I can say is if I had children no way would I raise them in Dublin, despite the many beautiful things and areas the city has, because I wouldn't want them to develop the deep levels of inferiority and low self esteem I came to have until I left Dublin in my 30s.

Dublin is a markedly stratified city and the scuzzies mentioned so often are the least of its problems. It's viciously competitive, cut throat where appearance, sound, demeanor and money counts for everything. Dublin people make decisions very quickly early on about who they will our won't associate with and integrating into social circles is a impossibility. A quick example was my post grad course. I sat beside a girl (we had fixed seating) whose brother I knew and they lived at the top of my road. They were from an extremely wealthy background and in two years that girl did not utter one word to me at all and remained silent when I attempted to chat with her. This is not unusual behaviour from many young Dublin people.

Before I left for London I lived for a while in Galway and Wexford and loved both so it's not dislike of Ireland in general.

I'm not sorry I'm gone at all, I'm just amazed how I put up with the intense isolation and loneliness that only Dublin can give you, for so long.
    Or you possibly give yourself , how do you know if you had stayed that you may well have grown wiser and older and been happy .Maybe you just grew out of your sensitivity .
    Please dont degrade a whole city like that , its very rude .You had a hard time here, fine , I didnt so dont speak for us all .I have to say I take umbrage at being lumped in with everyone and you presume to know me .I am a Dub, born and reared and am friendly , non judgmental and fair .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Get a bike , get excercise and stop whinging .

I am just given you an example of how things are dysfunctional here. So by pointing out a fact like the transport system is poor here that means I am unfit. Would you say that to a single mother with young children or to a disablied or sick person? I walk most places that are safe to walk but I wouldn't risk my life cycling, the cycling paths here are poor, there are many roads that don't have a cycling path and the cycling paths here are not up to the standard. Its very easy to get killed cycling here, there are many cyclist that get killed here each year. They have to put up with a lot from agressive drivers who should really cop on because cyclists are the most vulnerable on the roads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Go somewhere else then. Its really, really simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement