Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who hates Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    The only thing is plain dumb is even putting Dublin in the same league as Berlin. You can't compare the two. One is capital of Germany (Pop 90 million or thereabouts), one is capital of a small atlantic island. Give it over!

Berlin was taken as an example as it's the city I have most experience with. I cuold have picked Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Someone else mentioned Brussels.

I could have compared it to New York, as someone else said, but that would be ok, wouldn't it? Or a third world city capital city of a country that that has a population of 80 million, no problem.

If what you're saying, though, is that Dublin, by European standards is a nice little but ultimately limited island town, then fair enough. We're in agreement.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Berlin was taken as an example as it's the city I have most experience with. I cuold have picked Copenhagen or Amsterdam. Someone else mentioned Brussels.

I could have compared it to New York, as someone else said, but that would be ok, wouldn't it? Or a third world city capital city of a country that that has a population of 80 million, no problem.

If what you're saying, though, is that Dublin, by European standards is a nice little but ultimately limited island town, then fair enough. We're in agreement.
    It seems I have a done a little more travel then you and find in most european cities people are rude and if they are I just as rude back to them or I do so nicely that they can realise how sarcastic I can be with my answers it usually shuts them up and be nicer if not I ask for supervisor and complain. Dublin may not be the greatest city in the world but not the worse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

margarite wrote: »
    It seems I have a done a little more travel then you and find in most european cities people are rude and if they are I just as rude back to them or I do so nicely that they can realise how sarcastic I can be with my answers it usually shuts them up and be nicer if not I ask for supervisor and complain. Dublin may not be the greatest city in the world but not the worse :D

Sorry, but bull****. Only ever noticed rudeness in Paris, and usually it was aimed at people who just waded in with "Do you speak English?" without at least having the respect to pose the question in the native language.

Of the other fifteen or so European countries I've been in, I have bever had anyone react sarcastcially to me. What cities are you talking about and how often did it happen?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 spaceman67

Dublin is the ugliest and dirties city in western europe
    No parks,
    No areas to walk
    Trashy people everywhere
    Crowds everywhere
    Small and dirty filthy sidewalks
    Very poor shopping
    Ugly and suicidal weather
    Everything over priced
    Dirty and substandard rental apartments
    Not much architecture and not much to see
    ****ty shopping in city center
    The only good thing about the place is if someone really like to get drunk ,it is a good place for that, only very expensive drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I HATE Dublin. can't stand it really, what with it's rude citizens, ugly Eiffel tower, that glass pyramaid and those huge roads.....

wait, nevermind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

spaceman67 wrote: »
    No parks,
    No areas to walk
    Trashy people everywhere
    Crowds everywhere
    Very poor shopping
    Everything over priced
    The only good thing about the place is if someone really like to get drunk ,it is a good place for that, only very expensive drinks

So you've been to all the others then?
    Oh and Phoenix park is the largest city park in europe...

I'm not a dub but it's not that bad ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 spaceman67

So you've been to all the others then?
    Oh and Phoenix park is the largest city park in europe...

I'm not a dub but it's not that bad ffs

Your phoenix park is a undeveloped fogotten joke, go to france german or other places and see what real parks are not this ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Your phoenix park is a undeveloped fogotten joke, go to france german or other places and see what real parks are not this ****

five posts that all contain direct insults to the Irish, you stink of troll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Trashy people everywhere

This is what I hate most about Dublin* (and Ireland generally). The place is just full of scumbags and we all just tolerate their scumbag behaviour.

*I was born in Dublin and have lived here for most of my life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Dublin is some ****hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,599 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well being from the sticks of north county Dublin (near Rush) myself, I'm kind of thought of as a (insert mildly derogative adjective describing a country person here) by more urban dubs and just as much of a dirty dub by others from around the country who do not like Dublin people for whatever irrational reason. So maybe us Fingallians could seek to forge our own separate identity from the rest of Dublin? We have a language and everything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Tony Blair :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    This is what I hate most about Dublin* (and Ireland generally). The place is just full of scumbags and we all just tolerate their scumbag behaviour.

*I was born in Dublin and have lived here for most of my life.

in dublin you pick and choose where you go, but sometimes the trouble loving skangers will be in your path....

sometimes no one hates dublin more than a dubliner trying to work out the skanger mindset... and their love of negativity:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

No parks,
    No areas to walk
    Trashy people everywhere
    Crowds everywhere
    Very poor shopping
    Everything over priced

dublin has best parks in ireland maybe even europe, lover

killiney hill park
    marlay park

in the countryside people have been beaten up for trying to enjoy walks by some nutter rural lang greedy inbred

i grew up in the country with de farmers and live in dublin

dublin aint de area around de bus staion mo chara gael

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

I've never been to Copenhagen, but I'd rather live in Dublin that Amsterdam or Brussels. Amsterdam is kind of boring I found, nightlife isn't the best either. Other Dutch cities like Alkmaar and Arnhem are dead as disco too. I wont even bother talking about Brussels, although I did like it there, just seemed very boring.
    My Dutch friends love it here and visit regularly. Dublin is compact and has a good buzz about it. I don't know why we give it such a hard time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I enjoyed my time living in Dublin and would not hesitate moving back there if the right opportunity came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No parks
    No areas to walk
    Trashy people everywhere
    Crowds everywhere
    Very poor shopping
    Everything over priced

Your ignorance and lack of knowledge of your own capital is unbelievable. The weather? No parks? Suicide? No shopping? Filthy sidewalks? Overpriced? Nothing to see? Bad Architecture? Expensive drinks? You must be walking around with your eyes and mind closed, cause everyone else in the city is getting bloody good value these days. Dublin doesn't have a high suicide rate compared to other parts of the country, drinks can be got very very cheap if you have a bit of cop on, the climate is warmer and rainfall is less than most of the country, the architecture is stunning in some parts of the city, from Georgian to modern,

I can see by your other posts you are equally ignorant of other parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

No parks,
    No areas to walk
    Trashy people everywhere
    Crowds everywhere
    Very poor shopping
    Everything over priced

You must never have visited Dublin sober, first of all there is Georgian Dublin, beautiful houses all set around a square with a beautiful park that anyone can walk around, then there is the real Dublin Thomas Street where you can find great pubs which are very cheap both to eat and drink, and just before that there is Christchurch and further along St. Patrick s Cathedral. Across the road there is a fab fish and chip shop where you get enough for two people to eat. and just beside there is a wonderful coffee serving scones muffins and sandwiches all reasonable priced. Go back towards town and you will see on the left hand side all the night life and day time things to do I just cannot remember the name of the place at the moment but it is brilliant there. The place I would recommend to stay would be Christchurch Inn, you just pay for the room and you will get a cheap breakfast anywhere. I could go on but I do not work for Dublin Tourism. So go on explore log on to Dublin tourism or ask me and if you ask nicely I will help you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

margarite wrote: »
    You must never have visited Dublin sober

I am beginning to think you are right. It seems that all the these comments come from people who have come 'up for the match' on a sunday in September, go on the lock in Temple Bar, Flannnerys, Coppers or Roddy Bolands, eat in Abrakebabra, watch the match, repeat the above and then go home on Bus Eireann.

If I was ever to describe some of the bigger towns in Ireland like Cork, Limerick etc I would have to include:

Dirty city
    No parks,
    No areas to walk
    Trashy people everywhere
    Crowds everywhere
    Very poor shopping
    Everything over priced

Not much difference to whay people think of Dublin. Strange that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Hate the place. I dislike most built up areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I love Dublin. It has the Porterhouse (serveral), Bull & Castle, L Mulligan Grocer, Messrs Maguire and a host of other fantastic pubs that serve excellent beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I lived there for 6 months so I feel qualified to answer.

Pros :
    next to a beach
    coppers
    loads of gigs etc going on
    lots of sports to watch and play
    merrion road and around blackrock etc. is a really nice area
    herbert park
    public transport

Cons :
    everyone seems to be in a rush constantly, cant really relax
    a lot of locals have a problem with "culchies", plenty a time someone started on me and friends just because they thought we were from cork and still kept goin when we said we were from limerick.
    a LOT of scumbags/junkies up there
    the main part of town (o'connell street, jervis, ilac) is manky!
    traffic
    not that many good lookin birds!
    cost of living
    Leinster Rugby ;)

there are more im sure but its fair to say I have a strong dislike of the place, and is definitely the worst place ive ever been.

ah i forgot, most fast food places are horrible too! having said that, there is a chipper in howth and its savage! embassy grill is awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

yupyup7up wrote: »
    coppers

your argument is invalid:p

i love dublin though. i think it's reasonably clean, good craic, lots of nice places to hang out. lived in dublin for a good 8 years (and commute to it now) and never had a major problem with the city.

however

the people...ahhh it's just there is a scum element: like there is in every city. i've been in a few rows that started just cause some little knacker heard the accent and decided to throw mcdonalds drink/half a kebab/fag butt etc etc at me. in fairness though, they always regretted it afterwards, which the the best comeuppance :cool:

plenty a time someone started on me and friends just because they thought we were from cork

But in a previous post you claim you only once ever got some trouble and that was a bit of slagging from across the Dart line. That's not plenty a time. People from all over Ireland have settled in Dublin over the years, we are used to you, 99% of Dubliners have no problem with people settling, working and living here, it's your city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

In response to yupyup7up

Cons :
    everyone seems to be in a rush constantly, cant really relax - True, but thats a city
    a lot of locals have a problem with "culchies", plenty a time someone started on me and friends just because they thought we were from cork and still kept goin when we said we were from limerick. - True, thats not great. Blame Cork :-)
    a LOT of scumbags/junkies up there - Yeah more or less true
    the main part of town (o'connell street, jervis, ilac) is manky! - True, but I would not describe those three areas as the main part of town. Main part of town is Grafton area.
    traffic - True, but again that a city for you
    not that many good lookin birds! - meh true in part
    cost of living - True, but getting better
    Leinster Rugby - True, but in the same regard Munster rugby is a 'con' of Limerick/Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

ah i forgot, most fast food places are horrible too! having said that, there is a chipper in howth and its savage! embassy grill is awful...

dublin has burdocks (crispy bits..nom nom nom) and beshoffs. ya cant get much better take-aways than them...anywhere, ever, in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There are few cities in the world where you can feck off from the city centre and end up in the sort of places we have. Howth et all up north and Malahide et all down south. Then to the south and west we have the Dublin and Wicklow mountains.

In a lot of world cities, especially in the US when you leave one city you enter another and it is just urban sprawl everywhere.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    But in a previous post you claim you only once ever got some trouble and that was a bit of slagging from across the Dart line. That's not plenty a time. People from all over Ireland have settled in Dublin over the years, we are used to you, 99% of Dubliners have no problem with people settling, working and living here, it's your city too.

well you have to remember that I dont post EVERYTHING on boards! On nights out, if talking to people I've just met, I got that ****e most nights I was out, not so much in coppers.. It was usually from northsiders though if that makes a difference!

a good few people I know had/have the same problem
    In response to yupyup7up

Cons :
    everyone seems to be in a rush constantly, cant really relax - True, but thats a city - Perhaps, maybe I just don't like big cities!
    a lot of locals have a problem with "culchies", plenty a time someone started on me and friends just because they thought we were from cork and still kept goin when we said we were from limerick. - True, thats not great. Blame Cork :-) will do! unfortunately, they still go at (stab city this that and the other)
    a LOT of scumbags/junkies up there - Yeah more or less true
    the main part of town (o'connell street, jervis, ilac) is manky! - True, but I would not describe those three areas as the main part of town. Main part of town is Grafton area. grafton street is alright, not a fan of the paddywhackery goin on there though!
    traffic - True, but again that a city for you
    not that many good lookin birds! - meh true in part there are some savage ones but they are either stuck up their own arse or not from dublin!
    cost of living - True, but getting better this is correct!
    Leinster Rugby - True, but in the same regard Munster rugby is a 'con' of Limerick/Cork! - didnt know what you meant there!
    dublin has burdocks (crispy bits..nom nom nom) and beshoffs. ya cant get much better take-aways than them...anywhere, ever, in the world

Ill have to try them! the chippers i did try were awful,
    Saruman wrote: »
    There are few cities in the world where you can feck off from the city centre and end up in the sort of places we have. Howth et all up north and Malahide et all down south. Then to the south and west we have the Dublin and Wicklow mountains.

In a lot of world cities, especially in the US when you leave one city you enter another and it is just urban sprawl everywhere.

maybe so, I probably wouldnt like many US cities either, just every single time I visit and when I lived in Dublin, something always happened to piss me right off!

• Advertisement

well you have to remember that I dont post EVERYTHING on boards!

You said you only got a bit of trouble once in your six months, now you are saying that Northsiders start fights with you more or less every night you go out in Dublin? Sounds like tall stories to be honest. I go out a lot with Cork people in Dublin and they never get hassle because of where they are from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement