Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who hates Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

The bad reputation that goes with Dublin city is due to the insular locals but the same kind be said for those outside of the Pale. There are farming areas in Dublin county which the locals either forget or aren't aware of, so slagging the non natives is pointless. Anyway, from working with Dubs there is a certain superiority complex with them which they don't mind expressing but for them ignorance is bliss. Growing up outside Dublin and then working in Dublin gives you the best of both worlds as you have the serious work side in Dublin and then can escape to the more relaxed world outside of the Pale! It's probably will always be Dubs vs the rest of the country so expect a bit of banter, friendly and not so friendly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Dublin is the only place in ireland where you can have a proper night out and it doesnt end up as some sort of barn dance.

Even in the fairly big towns (cork, killarney) there's always some retard who pulls out a bodhran and some craggy-faced half woman half crow who warbles along to it.

And the nightclubs? ****ing hell. It's like a farmer Wesley sprinkled liberally with travellers.

When they get a coppers in Mitchelstown we'll talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Glenster wrote: »
    Dublin is the only place in ireland where you can have a proper night out and it doesnt end up as some sort of barn dance.

Even in the fairly big towns (cork, killarney) there's always some retard who pulls out a bodhran and some craggy-faced half woman half crow who warbles along to it.

And the nightclubs? ****ing hell. It's like a farmer Wesley sprinkled liberally with travellers.

really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

I've worked in London, San Francisco and Dubai, Dublin is nothing more than a 'fairly big town' in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If ever there was a reason to hate Dublin, your post would embody it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

are we saying coppers is good now? coppers is quite possibly the most over-rated shíthole in Dublin,it might aswell be a civil servant social club.And the chance of getting a girl in coppers?,not unless she approves of the car you drive or te uniform you come home in every evening.

god i am locked

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

CoDy1 wrote: »
    I've worked in London, San Francisco and Dubai, Dublin is nothing more than a 'fairly big town' in fairness.

Believe me thats a good thing
    If dublin randomly dropped of the edge of the country & sunk into the irish sea i'd seriously be on the celebratory drink for weeks.
    maybe you should drop yourself off the edge of the country, youd have plenty to drink then. :p

Ive been in many, many places from Mullingar to Moscow and Dublin is definately in the top 5 of cities youd actually want to live in.(in Europe at least)
    And to make things worse, this is coming from someone living in "the wesht" at the moment :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

Well there are some people from rural areas of Ireland who hate Dublin and have an inferiority complex, but they love Dublin secretly. They have a picture of Dublin on their bedroom wall and they think to themselves, as they go to bed at night and stare at the picture; one day, one day you will be there, and you will see the lights of the city and all its opportunities. They they lie down in bed and jack off to fantastic of abundant wireless broadband.

Here, here! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You don't get your moneys worth in dublin everything is real expensive, you don't get value for money especailly in dublin.

Stupid post. Free museums and galleries, 3 Euro pints, all you can eat for 8euro, the supermarkets are the exact same prices all over the country, Asian markets are abundant selling very very cheap produce, Asian eateries for half nothing, beaches, parks, loads of free entertainment happening at the weekends.

RainbowRose, you seem to have a problem with where you are living, you should just move out of Dublin, you think the people are stupid, you hate the accent, you obviously haven't bothered to get to know the city and don't seem to be interested in knowing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I don't hate cities. I just hate people. Obviously bigger world cities have more stuff going on in them than Dublin but then you have to put up with the hassle of more people. So Dublin strikes a nice balance. I don't think the scumbag problem is nearly as bad as some people make out either. If anything I'm more irritated on a daily basis by the upwardly mobile new middle class poncing around like they still own the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Even in the fairly big towns (cork, killarney) there's always some retard who pulls out a bodhran and some craggy-faced half woman half crow who warbles along to it..

wtf????

You either stumbled into an old man pub or somehow traveled back in time :eek:

I was in Dublin in July and I saw far more "Hiddly diddly" there then I did in Cork.

The Dublin view on the rest of Ireland is almost as ignorant as the American view on the whole Island some times.

Heh just thinking back,For about an hour I put on a North Cork accent(I got the ability to do so from mocking a friend of mine so much over it)) and no one from Dublin could understand me,yet foregin people and people from other counties could :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

CoDy1 wrote: »

San Francisco is a small town as well. Although the entire Bay Area is a Big Metropolitan Area ( countless cities, though).

I found San Francisco to be over-rated as a place to live. Great to visit.

In fact Dublin could claim to be one of the biggest cities in the US, were it in the US.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html#axzz0xzvV3yo0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Banji

I love Dublin. The city is small enough to walk around which is good. It does have plenty of scumbags though, but I think I just know what to look out for here - when I am in a different city I probably walk past just as many scumbags and don't notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

In fact Dublin could claim to be one of the biggest cities in the US, were it in the US.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html#axzz0xzvV3yo0

True. But the United States has one of the lowest population densities in the world. Even Rep.Ireland is higher. There basically isn't that many people living there when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

This thread went full retards by page 1. But yes, I dislike Dublin a lot. One of the ugliest and worst planned cities in Western Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I find a lot of Dublin people have a superiority complex, an arrogant air about them. Its kinda like the way "Great Britian" thinks its such an important world power, when in reality, they're a debt-ridden, uneducated, scummy society for the most part (I said most, not all).

Having said that, I find that some people from Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway and Mayo always have a chip on their shoulders for some reason. They think they were hard done by, or that they are entitled to more than everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mr_staggerlee

was in dublin onfriday don't get down much, usually go to belfast (it's nearer), lived in big cities in the uk for years.
    but what is it about north earl street everytime l'm there it's like walking into the 'star wars bar' all drunk/drugged disfigured/gouged people, trying to steal bikes and screaming at each other.
    watched tourists taking pictures of the joyce statue but it was hilarious as the amount of bedraggled drunks sitting underneath it.
    is there something about this area.

also saw a drunkstoned guy get lifted for skinning up in temple bar in front of the garda, they took all his details ,took his hash and cider off him and told him to go do it somewhere else out of sight of tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I find a lot of Dublin people have a superiority complex, an arrogant air about them. Its kinda like the way "Great Britian" thinks its such an important world power, when in reality, they're a debt-ridden, uneducated, scummy society for the most part (I said most, not all).

You are geting Dublin mixed up with Cork my friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The UK is a member of the UN Security Council, a member of the G8, probably the most important nation in the Commonwealth, the site of the FTSE 100, the City of London and a member of NATO etc etc. They kind of are an important world power to be honest! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Kold wrote: »
    This thread went full retards by page 1. But yes, I dislike Dublin a lot. One of the ugliest and worst planned cities in Western Europe.

first off i am not a dub .but that is a bit rich coming from a man from cork take patrick street away and cork is a hilly kip

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

I am from Dublin and live here. I dont think it is the best place to live in the world. Parts of it are dirty and full of scumbags. Parts of it are nice leafy suburbs with good bars, cafe's etc. I am happy enough living here, as I have been living in other cities in Europe. Do I hate Dublin....yes, sometimes. Is it dirty etc......yes, sometimes.

But Dublin is the only place that I could live in Ireland. Waterford, Carlow, Balina, Cork, Tralee etc are all grand towns. But there is no other city in Ireland that can offer the things that Dublin can. Thats the sad truth of Ireland.

The UK is a member of the UN Security Council, a member of the G8, probably the most important nation in the Commonwealth, the site of the FTSE 100, the City of London and a member of NATO etc etc. They kind of are an important world power to be honest! :D

Yes, but my point is it shouldn't be. They have a jumped-up notion of themselves, like some Dubs. Who the hell do the You-Kay think they are?

They fairly shat it and handed back Hong-Kong when the Chinese put on the pressure. Think they'd do that with anywhere else they invaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

its still in a bit of a post colonial hangover but its getting out of it slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

first off i am not a dub .but that is a bit rich coming from a man from cork take patrick street away and cork is a hilly kip

I'm not from Cork but the city is far nicer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Hello,

I have been living in dublin for 3 years now. It could be alot worse than other cities, Im here for college it has a few good colleges and that but living here gets on my last nerve sometimes i lose patience at times. Im thinking is there anyone else who hates living in dublin and reasons why? im sure there are. I would appreciate you sharing your thoughts, feelings and opinions. Thank you

How about YOU give reasons why?
    Btwndeyes wrote: »
    I suppose its all what your used to, i personally dont enjoy spending long periods of time in dublin, its too busy, .

Then you may want to stay away from proper cities like London and New York.

Dublin is a backwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I like Dublin, but i hate Dublin people. Its true about the superiority complex they have. I live in Nth Co Dublin and i remember as a kid playing football and GAA against teams closer to the city and them calling us culchies etc even though we were from the same county, thinking they could intimidate us etc.

More than one went home with their tails firmly between their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

its still in a bit of a post church hangover but its getting out of it slowly

FYP

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

^^^^^^^^ I dont get it:confused:

• Advertisement

With the exception of the financial sector, where they are world beaters, the rest is residual from another age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement